Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:14:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Mobile  |  Topic: Gumballs & Dungeons (Roguelike for Android and iOS) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gumballs & Dungeons (Roguelike for Android and iOS)  (Read 104952 times)
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

on: April 22, 2017, 02:58:31 PM

Anyone else playing this?

Probably the best mobile roguelike I've seen. The game consists of a bunch of dungeons, each with it's own theme and mechanics. Each floor of the dungeon is a grid of squares.

When you click on a square, it reveals what's hidden which could be a monster, XP, health/mana pots, equipment, etc.

There are no levels; rather, you advance by spending XP on titles that grant you stat bonuses, special abilities or unique items.

Titles available are based on your class (Melee, Magic, Adventurer); you can eventually take in 2 support characters who grant you access to their class's titles too (at double xp cost) which allows for a wide variety of playstyles. All titles, xp, stats etc. reset whenever you die or clear a dungeon, although there are consumables and persistent upgrades available too (think Rogue Legacy).

Aside from the regular dungeons, there are also airship battles with asynchronous PVP and a light resource management minigame* so there are plenty of things to do. It does use an energy system, but the dungeons take a while to clear so unless you're sitting around for hours you won't have many problems** with energy. The airship has it's own energy meter too, so you can bounce back and forth. The game is completely free to play, and gives you enough of the paid currency that you can use it from time to time and not feel like you're missing out. I've only spent $1 so far, which got me some extra stuff and a Terminator character.

One thing that might turn people off is that there are a ton of pop culture references. I don't mind them, but some might find it off-putting.

If there's any interest, let me know and I'll start up Bat Country.

*When you first start, it actually puts you in the little base and makes you build shit for like 5 minutes before you get to the dungeons. swamp poop

**Once you get the Bandit, you can spend energy on a cleared dungeon to get loot from it without playing. This burns through your energy fast, and I only suggest doing it when you know you're going to let that energy go to waste otherwise.

Edit:
Google Play link
Apple Store link
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 03:05:07 PM by Rendakor »

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 11:40:09 AM

This is fun.  Just wasted 3 hours of my life on it  awesome, for real

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 07:15:27 AM

This looks pretty good, I'll give it a go.  I haven't really enjoyed a mobile roguelike since 100 Rogues, which feels like ages ago now.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 10:05:33 AM

Wasn't aware there was an mp element to the game (umm, it's a roguelike).  The gumball motif was also a serious turnoff, but maybe I'll give it a shot.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 10:14:27 AM

The gumballs have a very Dragon Quest slime vibe to them.  Even the golem looking thing on the splash screen looks like it had some heavy DQ influence.
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 10:42:13 AM

Looks like a Dungelot rip. (will play)
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 11:20:50 AM

Wasn't aware there was an mp element to the game (umm, it's a roguelike).  The gumball motif was also a serious turnoff, but maybe I'll give it a shot.
The multiplayer aspect is centered around the airships, PVP. I'm not sure if there's coop multiplayer or not; if so, it's probably gated behind alliances which I haven't delved into.

schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 02:29:04 PM

If you like this, you should play Dungelot. Having now played through a bit of this, it's good, but Dungelot feels more... roguelike? Or just a bit better composed.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 06:13:02 PM

G&D devs themselves mention Dungelot inspired their game.  Though I wonder what the original concept actually was?  Supposedly they had to redesign due to legal art asset issues (maybe with the pop references?)  I dunno.  Maybe the gumballs are actually placeholders for something else.

I love the game already though, and now that I kinda see where they're going with the mp elements; it's pretty well done.  The comments ala DarkSouls are a nice touch.  Sometimes some real gems in there.  The Fate Tower is neat but I've yet to actually utilize it.  Overall they did a good job making the game a community rather than a lonely roguelike experience.  I haven't unlocked alliances yet it seems... but I'm a lush for Airships so :shrug. 

Good on them.  Now, they will need to monetize better apparently, because really there seems to be little earlygame reason to spend a dime other than collecting gumballs.  They should have just charged $1 like Dungelot did.

But fuck... a great many hours go by playing this game.  Fml.  This is finals week.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Bann
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 06:30:42 PM

I played pretty intensively for about a month, one of the better mobile games I've played. I read that they initially wanted it to be dragons quest IP (On some of the arena challenge levels, you can see unimplemented gumballs that are still the original slime graphics.)
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 09:51:48 PM

The gumballs were supposed to be slimes?

Bann
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: April 27, 2017, 06:50:21 AM

Yes, I believe so. If you read the developer notes in game, they make reference to it. The SA thread on the game had more information (and was the best collection of knowledge I found) as well. 
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: April 28, 2017, 10:34:42 AM

BatCountry (no space) alliance formed. I set the country to USA, the abbreviation to f13. In order to unlock alliances you need to repair the airship, which requires you to have 15 gumballs and some money. Once you have the airship, explore using it and you'll eventually find the alliance center.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: April 28, 2017, 01:18:20 PM

BatCountry (no space) alliance formed. I set the country to USA, the abbreviation to f13. In order to unlock alliances you need to repair the airship, which requires you to have 15 gumballs and some money. Once you have the airship, explore using it and you'll eventually find the alliance center.

Fuck, that's a lot of work.  Can I buy in sooner to unlock it? Or is it gated behind a maze.

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #14 on: April 28, 2017, 01:18:54 PM

Nice, should have airship tomorrow.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #15 on: April 28, 2017, 03:01:30 PM

Oh thank you for this!  Just had my PC and all other forms of entertainment packed and sent to Apocolypse Now land, with only my iPhone and alcohol to keep me entertained for the next few months.  I have taken to this game in a most unhealthy way.

Just sent an app in to join the guild.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: April 28, 2017, 06:54:44 PM

Fuck, that's a lot of work.  Can I buy in sooner to unlock it? Or is it gated behind a maze.
I think it's gated behind a maze, but it took me much longer to get the 15 Gumballs.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: April 28, 2017, 09:36:50 PM

If anyone's IGN doesn't match their f13 username, let me know on here. I'm going to avoid letting in randoms.

Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: April 29, 2017, 01:22:58 PM

I've been playing for a bit and I only have 2 Gumballs.. so it may be awhile.

Also these messages that the develops are sending are kinda weird.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: April 29, 2017, 01:43:25 PM

Once you get the hang of it and start clearing faster, they come quicker.

Some tips:

In your Alchemy Workshop, max out your Field Survival Kit ASAP (it looks like a green tent). This increases the time your gumballs spend Exploring (which they should always be doing, since it costs nothing and doesn't tie up anyone), which in turn lets them bring back better things including Gems (paid currency).

Under System Settings (gear icon, top right) > Secret Order you can enter codes for free shit. This page on the wiki has all the codes that currently work; when they add new ones, they put them at the bottom. The Chinese codes work too; you can copy and paste them in. Certain codes require that you have the Airship or Mercenary Camp (red flag, says Gumball on it) unlocked before they work, so if you're going to spend an hour entering them all, keep note of what ones you used or wait until those are unlocked. Of note, once you have entered 35 codes there is a code (JOINME) to get you the Spy Gumball.

Don't buy gems unless it's a special package offer (chest icon in the top right with a timer); if you wait, you can get the $0.99 one with some extra goodies plus the Terminator gumball free with your first purchase.

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #20 on: April 29, 2017, 04:54:23 PM

If anyone's IGN doesn't match their f13 username, let me know on here. I'm going to avoid letting in randoms.

Applied.  Think my handle is f13 cheddar.  It has Cheddar in it.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: April 30, 2017, 07:28:35 AM

Another tip: don't be scared to revive if it will help you kill a boss you need for dp rewards. After reviving 3 times (which doesn't have to be all 3 times in the same maze/on the same run), you unlock the Soul Reaper gumball; he reduces the cost to revive by 10% per * for all gumballs, and can self-rez when he's on your active team.

schild
Administrator

Reply #22 on: April 30, 2017, 08:39:42 AM

I applied. My ign is...

Buttmoney
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #23 on: April 30, 2017, 09:12:51 AM

Airships are a game in and of themselves!

schild
Administrator

Reply #24 on: April 30, 2017, 09:43:34 AM

Yea, I just unlocked the airship today. The amount of shit in this game is pretty absurd.
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: May 01, 2017, 09:16:27 AM

Are any of the factions better than the others for the Golden Pots?
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: May 01, 2017, 09:56:36 AM

I've used most of mine for Abyss Roar, since Hellfire main with Magic Golem support (+ whoever, 3rd) is my favorite caster team.

schild
Administrator

Reply #27 on: May 01, 2017, 10:49:03 AM

I've been using the gold pots for AOLUEWQIWIEIS Blade simply because a lot of dungeons that have had restrictions almost always restrict to that faction.

In the longterm, this is probably a stupid decision.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: May 01, 2017, 11:04:36 AM

I thought only the daily quests had faction restrictions, and those are random.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: May 01, 2017, 04:12:55 PM

Should I be disenchanting everything I don't use in the maze?  The instructions made it seem like if you exit the maze with stuff, you get random resources as a reward.  I'd rather get random resources at times, rather than simply EP.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: May 01, 2017, 04:42:24 PM

I honestly don't know, and can't find the answer on the wiki. I personally DE anything I'm not using, because EP means more power and progression, which means I should be getting more stuff anyway from killing deeper bosses, etc.

Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: May 01, 2017, 06:28:16 PM

I've been scrapping them as well, unless I think I'm going to make it far enough to make a set.  I think the first set on a few of the mazes gives you some dp.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: May 01, 2017, 08:07:28 PM

"Making a set" is the dumbest thing in the game so far.  Leads me to believe the later mazes are long, drawn out affairs.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: May 01, 2017, 08:12:46 PM

Once you've done each maze the first ~3? times and unlocked it's first gumball, you unlock endless mode for that maze which is indeed a long, drawn out affair. I rarely complete sets though, except for the occasional 3 piece.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: May 01, 2017, 08:25:49 PM

Only I've got no reason to do endless mode currently, because so far I'm cruising through the mazes.   Ohhhhh, I see.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Mobile  |  Topic: Gumballs & Dungeons (Roguelike for Android and iOS)  
Jump to: