Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:15:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: MLB 2017 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MLB 2017  (Read 27451 times)
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

on: April 04, 2017, 12:15:46 PM

Because it's time for a new one, I guess?

Anyway, I thought of Paelos when I read the Times piece on lack of fundamentals. Kids can hit, and pitch, but fielding grounders and simple throwing and catching are suffering.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/01/sports/baseball/they-can-hit-400-foot-homers-but-playing-catch-thats-tricky.html

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 01:08:39 PM

Yep! New season, and the Braves are already 0-1! Yeehaw our bullpen sucks!

I learned up close and personal kids aren't doing the fundamentals when I watched two college programs a few weeks back and UGA committed 8 errors in one game.

Ridiculous. And the Braves lost their first game because our catcher didn't know to stand on top of the plate when applying a tag.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 01:47:24 PM

Curious to see how Cleveland fucks things up this season.   Ohhhhh, I see.

Go Tribe....

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 01:49:41 PM

Cleveland will likely still be quite good this year. Not to jinx things, but I don't find it unlikely that we get a World Series rematch this year. OTOH, it's the Tribe and the Cubs and fucking up a good thing is kind of in their DNA.  why so serious?

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 03:37:18 PM

Ridiculous. And the Braves lost their first game because our catcher didn't know to stand on top of the plate when applying a tag.

This is fucking unforgiveable. I played catcher, that is literally the first thing you learn for the position.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 06:26:25 AM

I'm telling you, there are routine screwups in the majors now on stuff that should be relatively simple.

Putting the ball in play with a runner on 3rd and one out? They'll fuck that up routinely instead of shortening up their swing.
Bunting to beat a shift? Forget it, they just swing as hard as they can and keep hitting into the shifts.
Hitting the cutoff man instead of gunning it up the line to home? Nope.
Holding runners as an Ace pitcher? Nope, I can just strike my way out of this.
Executing a hit and run?
Catching with two hands?

I could go on and on about how the reason scoring is down is because this current crop of players has no fucking clue how to actually play the game.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 06:30:34 AM by Paelos »

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 06:51:15 AM

I don't know..I see all of that still. If a guy isn't doing something like shortening his swing it's usually a top hitter so I have to assume the coaches just want him free swinging because that's what he's paid 20$ million for.

But hey, at least you have all the knuckle ballers.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 07:02:52 AM

The Sox bunted against the shift on opening day..:D So far we think John Farrell might have been body switched by aliens. He's actually managing like a semi-competent human being.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 12:08:16 PM

I don't know..I see all of that still. If a guy isn't doing something like shortening his swing it's usually a top hitter so I have to assume the coaches just want him free swinging because that's what he's paid 20$ million for.

But hey, at least you have all the knuckle ballers.

Right, but if I have a runner on first and you're shifting over my best hitter who I assume is in the 3 slot? I can then bunt and give my cleanup guy the shot to drive in a run with a single.

I understand not bunting if the bases are clear and you're in a tie game.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 07:24:41 AM

So it's time for a new baseball season! The Cubs are starting really fitfully - their pitching isn't as good as last year, which is something I expected and they are blooding a few new guys in everyday/mostly everyday roles like Contreras and Almora and Schwarber. I expect the playoffs but I'm not sure I can expect them to repeat this year but I didn't expect them to make it last year either so who knows?

I went to my local minor league team's game last night - the Mississippi Braves (Atlanta's AA affiliate). It was a fun night, the Braves won 9-4 and I got to see at least 2-3 guys I think have a chance of making the Braves major league roster in 2 years time. Kade Scivicque will probably make it - he's young, has a cannon for an arm, is a catcher which is a position the Braves have no other long-term options at AAA or the majors and so far he can hit (hitting .340+ so far this year). Carlos Franco might make it - his career minor league stats are nothing too impressive but he's already hit 7 homers so far this year as DH/3B, which is a position that the Braves also have no long term options. He's 25 and since he was DHing, he may end up somewhere else, but if his power numbers stay consistent, he could make his way up.

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: May 09, 2017, 08:44:08 AM

There's a thread already.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #11 on: May 09, 2017, 08:51:35 AM

Because I am both blind and retarded, I'll repost this in the proper thread.

So it's time for a new baseball season! The Cubs are starting really fitfully - their pitching isn't as good as last year, which is something I expected and they are blooding a few new guys in everyday/mostly everyday roles like Contreras and Almora and Schwarber. I expect the playoffs but I'm not sure I can expect them to repeat this year but I didn't expect them to make it last year either so who knows?

I went to my local minor league team's game last night - the Mississippi Braves (Atlanta's AA affiliate). It was a fun night, the Braves won 9-4 and I got to see at least 2-3 guys I think have a chance of making the Braves major league roster in 2 years time. Kade Scivicque will probably make it - he's young, has a cannon for an arm, is a catcher which is a position the Braves have no other long-term options at AAA or the majors and so far he can hit (hitting .340+ so far this year). Carlos Franco might make it - his career minor league stats are nothing too impressive but he's already hit 7 homers so far this year as DH/3B, which is a position that the Braves also have no long term options. He's 25 and since he was DHing, he may end up somewhere else, but if his power numbers stay consistent, he could make his way up.

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 09, 2017, 09:02:45 AM

Well at least the Jays have stabilized, sorta..

Bautista and Martin still hitting below .200, at least Martin provides value to the pitchers as a veteran catcher but Bautista looks done. Glad that contract is just 1 year (+ option). Batspeed is just slowing down too much he can't keep up. Travis is under .200 also but he'll bounce back and probably be .300 by August. really good young hitter.

The good news is the pitching is holding up, even with Sanchez and Happ injured, and the bench guys are hitting well while Donaldson and Tulowitzki are on the shelf for the next few weeks.

Looks like all the massive sell off talf was premature although at 12-20 they're going to have to do some heavy lifting just to get back to .500 let alone wild card discussion. Just extra difficult for them to make ground when they play so many games against the AL East where you're a .500 record against the other 4 teams is basically the norm and the best you can  hope for when they're all pretty good and play each other tough.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: May 09, 2017, 11:08:26 AM

Wow. Someone screenshot a mod fuckup. :D

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #14 on: May 17, 2017, 06:25:52 AM

Did you see Travis Demeritte play? He's getting all the talk in Atlanta about coming up to play 3rd eventually. Also Kolby Allard and Max Fried as pitchers get a ton of coverage here because they are doing so well. Also Ronald Acuna in the outfield.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #15 on: May 17, 2017, 08:24:58 AM

Yea, Travis Demerritte looks good too. He was playing that night, he just didn't stand out as much as the other two. There is some talent in the Braves system, but it's 1-2 years out at least. They had a pretty decent pitcher come in for the 6-8th innings who had some hot stuff.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #16 on: May 19, 2017, 06:38:14 AM

We're sort of banging our heads against a wall now since our MVP candidate went down for 10 weeks with a broken wrist.

I hate this season already.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #17 on: May 19, 2017, 07:52:57 AM

Looking at the number of 30+ aged no-names in your lineup, I'm pretty sure this was going to be a wasted season anyway.

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: May 19, 2017, 07:57:09 AM

MLB players and the sport's commentariat really need to stop getting so worked up about batflips, makes the league look ridiculous. People seriously think it's ok to throw a 90mph hard projectile at someone cuz they got pumped after hitting a HR?? Pitchers are such loser hypocrites too, I don't see batters chucking their bat at them when they yell and do a wild fist pump after a big strikeout which they do all the time.

You don't see this in other major leagues. Nobody ever says someone deserves to be punched out for a showy celly after a goal in hockey or a TD in football, maybe just some mockery for being ridiculously over the top or a bit fruity is about it, but no one advocating or delivering physical harm for it.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #19 on: May 19, 2017, 07:59:34 AM

Yes, the bat flip thing is utterly ridiculous.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #20 on: May 19, 2017, 08:23:52 AM

Looking at the number of 30+ aged no-names in your lineup, I'm pretty sure this was going to be a wasted season anyway.

Freddie Freeman was on an MVP tear, that was the only thing. He was having a Dale Murphy season. And now it's shot, so we have nothing.

Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: September 14, 2017, 07:38:02 PM

Go Tribe!   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #22 on: September 18, 2017, 08:50:18 AM

Cleveland peaked too soon,  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: September 18, 2017, 08:59:42 AM

Probably. I'm not penciling them into the AL championship game. There is a small piece of me that would like to see them take the AL pennant again, but they'll just screw up the Series...again. So they'll probably get bounced in the ALDS.

Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: October 12, 2017, 04:06:54 AM

annnnnnnnnnd done.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: October 12, 2017, 01:16:16 PM

And everything is almost back to normal in Cleveland.  Just have to wait for the Cavs to lose and Lebron to take his talents leave town again. awesome, for real
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: October 12, 2017, 01:27:59 PM

And everything is almost back to normal in Cleveland.  Just have to wait for the Cavs to lose and Lebron to take his talents leave town again. awesome, for real

June 2018! Sadly, at that time there will be all the hype about whatever doomed college players the Browns drafted. Seriously, fuck that sports town. No possible way for a town to be that inept across all sports.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #27 on: October 13, 2017, 06:58:56 AM

I'm glad I'm not heavily invested in baseball this year with the real possibility of a Dodgers/Yankees World Series looming.  Let's goooooo Houston!
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: October 13, 2017, 07:19:11 AM

I just can't understand scheduling a game 5 for 2 East Coast/Mid-West teams to start at 8 pm Eastern.  By the 6th inning I was nodding off and when midnight rolled around and they hadn't even started the 8th inning yet I just gave up and went to bed.  Sounds like the game ended around 1.  Not as bad as the 13 inning game last year that didn't end until 3 am, but at least that was Giant/Cubs so I understand that the East Coast will get screwed a little bit on the scheduling there.

Anyways, MLB playoff scheduling is dumb.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: October 13, 2017, 09:10:12 AM

I just can't understand scheduling a game 5 for 2 East Coast/Mid-West teams to start at 8 pm Eastern.  By the 6th inning I was nodding off and when midnight rolled around and they hadn't even started the 8th inning yet I just gave up and went to bed.  Sounds like the game ended around 1.  Not as bad as the 13 inning game last year that didn't end until 3 am, but at least that was Giant/Cubs so I understand that the East Coast will get screwed a little bit on the scheduling there.

Anyways, MLB playoff scheduling is dumb.

One of the games got rained out the other day didn't it?
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: October 13, 2017, 10:02:30 AM

Yeah, Tuesdays 5:30 ET game was rained out and moved to Wednesday @ 4:30 ET, which was a travel day.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: October 28, 2017, 01:59:57 PM

Well done MLB you just told the world that it's ok to insult someone for their race if the event is important enough... swamp poop swamp poop swamp poop

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #32 on: October 28, 2017, 03:23:31 PM

The spice advertising revenue must flow.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #33 on: October 28, 2017, 10:16:54 PM

Well done MLB you just told the world that it's ok to insult someone for their race if the event is important enough... swamp poop swamp poop swamp poop

Uhhhhh, what?

EDIT: Never mind, found it. WOW.

I get what they are saying about the appeals process, I just think that's some pretty low-rent, Mickey Mouse shit to use as an excuse.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 10:19:21 PM by HaemishM »

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #34 on: November 01, 2017, 06:52:49 AM

Game 7. This one should be a complete doozy given how many starters will be available to come out of the pen.

Also after this I expect the MLB to lay the wood to the Braves over our corruption scandal and steal half our farm system.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: MLB 2017  
Jump to: