Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:25:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: IT 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: IT  (Read 58047 times)
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #70 on: September 08, 2017, 05:50:55 PM

There is no 3d I don't think. Also yeah we were in leather recliner seats. Was nice.

Anyway I've never seen a 3d movie. Soooooo.

The trailer for mother! Was one of the most presumptuous fucking things I'd ever seen. It tried to call me an asshole for not already having a ticket.

Sold. 

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #71 on: September 08, 2017, 06:30:59 PM

Saw it this morning.  I really liked Skarsgård as Pennywise, and the kids were good as well, but it was a bit dull overall. 
It's a decent movie. The kids are pretty good. Pennywise is ok but it's a bit of a one-note performance. True to spending time in Derry though, it rapidly faded from memory.
schild
Administrator

Reply #72 on: September 08, 2017, 06:32:54 PM

Saw it this morning.  I really liked Skarsgård as Pennywise, and the kids were good as well, but it was a bit dull overall. 
It's a decent movie. The kids are pretty good. Pennywise is ok but it's a bit of a one-note performance. True to spending time in Derry though, it rapidly faded from memory.
You jaded, son.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #73 on: September 08, 2017, 07:17:46 PM

A bit. I enjoyed the movie a lot when it was just the Losers interacting with each other and I can't downplay the accomplishment of getting that strong of a group of child actors. There were some cool visuals with Pennywise but any kid who sticks his hand into a sewer drain after hearing him talk deserves to get killed. There's zero nuance to the performance and at all times he sounds 100% evil.
schild
Administrator

Reply #74 on: September 08, 2017, 07:59:14 PM

A bit. I enjoyed the movie a lot when it was just the Losers interacting with each other and I can't downplay the accomplishment of getting that strong of a group of child actors. There were some cool visuals with Pennywise but any kid who sticks his hand into a sewer drain after hearing him talk deserves to get killed. There's zero nuance to the performance and at all times he sounds 100% evil.
When was the last time you read the book?

Children are stupid. IT is literally the embodiment of stupid. A cosmic shithead's middle finger to Derry. He's pretty fucking one-note in the book also. He basically has one mode, the invocation of fear. Kids fear stupid shit.

In this movie, Stanley was afraid of some jewy painting in his dad's office. I shit you not, I was afraid of a painting in my grandma's house when I was little, of a rabbi no less. That painting is now hiding in my closet here.

ANYWAY

Me thinks you may have forgotten the source material. I thought Skarsgård was legitimately better than Curry. Curry's Pennywise may have been more fun, but book Pennywise was very not fun.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #75 on: September 08, 2017, 08:23:43 PM

I'm not judging it in regards to faithfulness to the source material, just the degree to which I enjoyed it. I liked the movie overall but found it a bit forgettable. We get a lot of sequences of IT fucking with the kids, either individually or a few times when they're in a group and it starts to get a bit repetitious especially since the stakes don't really get raised in this part of the story. I might well find that it plays better overall when the second part comes out, although that will require them putting together an equally good cast for the Losers.

Its a solid movie and I largely enjoyed it while I was watching it. Now I'm just trying to work through why it's not really sticking with me.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: September 08, 2017, 09:18:46 PM

So, like the book.  Fuuuuuuuck I need to see this.  I may get sick weds and catch it with my daughter in the theater with awesome seats.  Leather.  Reclinable.

Did you see 3d?  If so is it worth it?

Nevermind, went to order tickets and no 3d.  Warmed my heart.
Not available in 3D, but you might be able to catch it in IMAX.   

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
schild
Administrator

Reply #77 on: September 08, 2017, 10:02:53 PM

I'm not judging it in regards to faithfulness to the source material, just the degree to which I enjoyed it. I liked the movie overall but found it a bit forgettable. We get a lot of sequences of IT fucking with the kids, either individually or a few times when they're in a group and it starts to get a bit repetitious especially since the stakes don't really get raised in this part of the story. I might well find that it plays better overall when the second part comes out, although that will require them putting together an equally good cast for the Losers.

Its a solid movie and I largely enjoyed it while I was watching it. Now I'm just trying to work through why it's not really sticking with me.

I dunno man. The casting of Beverly was so good it gave me flashbacks of The Wizard where Jenny Lewis outshined Fred Savage who was a goddamn hollywood sweetheart at the time (Finn being Fred in this scenario). Between her and Bills performance it pretty much skyrocketed into my top five horror flicks, if not movies in general. Also, Eddie was better than expected. Kid has timing. I really couldn't have asked for more based on the source material. Not sure what they couldve done better besides pick a different track for the bathroom cleaning 80s montage.

Also love that the turtle tried to stop the whole movie from happening in the first five minutes.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 10:05:06 PM by schild »
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #78 on: September 08, 2017, 10:25:33 PM

Like I said, the casting was great for the most part and it's a shame that aside from maybe some flashbacks they can't really bring them back for the sequel.
schild
Administrator

Reply #79 on: September 09, 2017, 10:46:53 AM

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/weekend-box-office-it-movie-scares-up-record-thursday-night-1036714

The top weekend for any Horror movie is currently held by Paranormal Activity 3 (which brought back the original actress). PA3 pulled in $52.6M.

On Friday alone, IT pulled in $51M. It's tracking for a weekend north of $100M.

Biggest Friday ever for an R-Rated Title, beating Deadpool.

Biggest September release night ever.

It's Thursday preview day was the biggest preview gross ever ($15.3M)

Internationally the film pulled $16.1M on Friday. IT is not a piece of pop culture in most of the world, so this is outstanding. Bringing the overseas total to $25.7M.

As such, thus far, this weekend, it has made 76.7M. It is just Friday.

R-Rated horror is back on the menu, boys.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: September 09, 2017, 08:48:45 PM

I liked this. To the people out there complaining about the depth/motivations of It itself... consider that there wasn't much in the book to begin here with. I enjoyed the hell out of it and most movies I can't be bothered to watch on demand much less in the theater on opening weekend.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: September 09, 2017, 09:01:47 PM

This was pretty much the scariest movie, to me, that I have ever seen. The scares were patient and sustained. To call this dull at any point is laughably ridiculous. I felt it was too short. What a badass show.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
schild
Administrator

Reply #82 on: September 10, 2017, 01:58:29 PM

$117M. (Expected $179M globally).

Again, budget of $35M (I think it's production of $30M, advertising of $5M). Anyway.

• The first horror movie to gross over $100M opening weekend. The others aren't even close. Signs (~$60M), I am Legend ($77M) - and these weren't even in September.
  • Biggest R-Rated record holder (Deadpool, $60M), which was smashed by day 1.
  • The biggest opening weekend EVER in September, which is the true Shit Month for movies (coming out of the summer, back to school, etc).
  • If this weekend is any indicator, it should overtake the highest grossing horror movie ever (The Sixth Sense). If you adjust for inflation, it'll fall between Sixth Sense ($500M) and Exorcist ($885M). If it somehow passes a billion, well, it won't but if it did, whoa. The records Jaws has had forever just gets crushed.
  • It did all of this without Florida.

Normally I don't care about this shit, but I care A LOT when it comes to how shitty my favorite genre has been treated for 20 years.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 02:14:00 PM by schild »
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: September 10, 2017, 02:43:20 PM

^

My one bitch with this show was the floating kids. There was 0 wrap up on that point, I almost wish they hadn't included it.

schild
Administrator

Reply #84 on: September 10, 2017, 03:01:10 PM

I thought Pennywise's lair was strange, but I gave it a pass. My bigger issue with the ending was that if it didn't say IT: Chapter One after the final scene and you knew NOTHING about the book, you'd assume they killed Pennywise and that all the kids were saved.

Which is uh

not how it goes at all

But also, not a particularly important part of the story (to me at least).
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: September 10, 2017, 10:23:37 PM

Sure, I just thought the one off line about the kids coming down drew attention to the fact that we never find out if the kids are ok, or did we get adults to go look at this weird shithole, or what the fuck. Yeah, the rest of the movie more than made up for it, but it was a niggling little detail that I couldn't let go of.

schild
Administrator

Reply #86 on: September 10, 2017, 10:51:49 PM

Director is on record saying he wants to cover more of the mythology of Pennywise and the cosmic horrorness of it all in the next chapter. Since this is gonna make fucking buckets of cash, I expect to get more than one new chapter.

Also, he's said the next movie will be both kids in the 80s and adults in present day. I suspect the end result will be a nearly 7 hour trilogy with a middle section of woven storytelling to bridge the children's story and the adults.

Part wishful thinking, sure, but theyd be absolutely retarded not to milk the SHIT out of this given how little of the source material was actually covered.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: September 11, 2017, 12:39:21 AM

I hope they don't fuck it up and make Pennywise like a crashed alien or some weird shit.

schild
Administrator

Reply #88 on: September 11, 2017, 06:38:31 AM

I'm not worried about that, they already showed us the deadlights.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #89 on: September 11, 2017, 07:48:05 AM

Schild, are you seriously hoping they Hobbit this?

e: I'm a hater, I know.
schild
Administrator

Reply #90 on: September 11, 2017, 07:54:07 AM

How would they hobbit this? There's nothing that came before the current story. There just happens to be more than enough content for 3 movies. It's the number that feels right.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #91 on: September 11, 2017, 11:42:45 AM

I hope they don't fuck it up and make Pennywise like a crashed alien or some weird shit.

Isn't that what "It" is in the book?  Some kind of Cthulhu-ish thing?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: September 11, 2017, 12:05:04 PM

It's an ancient evil, kind of always been thing. I'm talking some moron thinking he's got this great idea for an origin story that is wrong, stupid, and fucks it all up. Yknow. Hollywood.

schild
Administrator

Reply #93 on: September 11, 2017, 12:06:00 PM

Muschietti has made it pretty clear he intends to keep it as a cosmic ancient evil. Which is probably smart since Hulu has Castle Rock coming out this year and having the whole universe make sense is likely helpful.

Fucking dark tower tho
schild
Administrator

Reply #94 on: September 11, 2017, 12:32:54 PM

Expectations were correct. It ended at $179,150,000 worldwide.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #95 on: September 11, 2017, 01:42:07 PM

It came during a drought of good movies. Hitman's Bodyguard was #1 for the last 3 weeks. I think the last big movie to come out was Dunkirk back in July.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #96 on: September 11, 2017, 01:44:08 PM

Expectations were correct. It ended at $179,150,000 worldwide.

Isn't that something like double what that Ghostbusters flop pulled in for about a quarter of the production budget? 

If so I guess it goes to show there's still plenty of money to be made in mining 80s nostalgia but you need to not be dumb about it.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #97 on: September 11, 2017, 01:49:50 PM

Bad movies are bad.

Good movies are good.

Curry took a good villain and made him a classic. Skaarsgaard just reinvented a classic.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: September 11, 2017, 02:01:03 PM

Yup. That. I still enjoy the old one, cheesy effects and all. Both great shows in their own right.

schild
Administrator

Reply #99 on: September 12, 2017, 07:28:49 AM

117M was a prediction. It hit $123.1M.

O_O

I'm really glad all this IT art I have isn't going to tank in value. Thanks, Mr. & Mrs. Muschietti.
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: September 13, 2017, 04:58:21 AM

I liked the movie, I think the original movie did a better job of bringing the kids together and bonding more though.  This one sustained the scares more at the expense of some of the more character building moments.  As far as 'It' goes, I think he was fine, the original gave Curry more time to enjoy the taunting where as Skaarsgaard played up the ravenous predator more.  My kids felt he wasn't as scary as Curry, Curry being more 'normalish' makes him scarier.

I didn't like it they they had to kidnap Beverly to get them down there though.  It was a symptom of rushing things a bit much, they would have been better off not having the group have their split than having to patch it back up quickly in that hammy way.

Going to have to reread the book now, its been a long time.
schild
Administrator

Reply #101 on: September 16, 2017, 10:10:00 PM

IT is apparently replacing most movies at the few IMAX theaters here in Austin (whoa at expanding theater count for the second week). Guess I know what Im doing in a few days.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #102 on: September 16, 2017, 10:28:23 PM

I saw this today and it was absolutely as perfect a movie as one could expect. The pacing was incredible - I remember looking at my phone's clock over an hour into it and thinking "holy shit, it's already been an hour?" Some of the character's catchphrases ended up being left out or at least not as prominent as I remember them being in the novel but I think that was actually an improvement. King tends to find a character's one phrase and hammer it over and over again. Pennywise was fantastic, the effects were great, all the kid actors were really good (especially the kid from Stranger Things as Ritchie). The soundtrack was great.

I know the second movie won't be as good because that was the weak part of the book. But it'll still be worth watching.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #103 on: September 16, 2017, 10:50:23 PM

We just got back from seeing it, too. It was pretty great. I would have preferred 50% less jump scares; by the end of the movie the tension had passed for me.

I keep thinking of the opening scene with Pennywise and Georgie, that moment when Pennywise's face dropped and it went silent and deadeyes. The camera angles on the face with the eyes, one pointing slightly away, that was great. Utterly weird and creepy.

I'm not 100% sold on their interpretation of the entity's true form, I always thought of it as turtle-like. IIRC, the mini-series portrayed it as a spider-like.
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: September 17, 2017, 12:47:43 AM

I keep thinking of the opening scene with Pennywise and Georgie, that moment when Pennywise's face dropped and it went silent and deadeyes. The camera angles on the face with the eyes, one pointing slightly away, that was great. Utterly weird and creepy.

Agreed. Pennywise was way more unsettling in moments like those before he monstered out and started lunging at the camera. Skarsgard did a great job playing up the alien aspect of the character.

I'm not 100% sold on their interpretation of the entity's true form, I always thought of it as turtle-like. IIRC, the mini-series portrayed it as a spider-like.

It was a spider in the book also. They outright refer to it as "The Spider" at that point, though of course that's still not its true form, because humans can't understand its true Macroverse form, *blah, blah, insert typical eldritch horror boilerplate here*. Its Macroverse nemesis, Maturin is referred to as "The Turtle", which might be what you're thinking of.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: IT  
Jump to: