Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:27:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: IT 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: IT  (Read 58526 times)
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #105 on: September 17, 2017, 03:07:41 AM

Also, lets be real here.  The creatures true form was probably the single weakest aspect of the entire book/TV Series.  They can make it what ever the fuck they want and it wont take anything away from the story.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: September 17, 2017, 11:41:21 AM

The Turtle wasn't really its Nemesis, unless I am missing a lot of subjext. it was just an unconnected entity that largely didn't seem didn't do anything bar spit out galaxies, and which IT had contempt for. There was a hint of some undefined third entity that nudged events along.

Hic sunt dracones.
schild
Administrator

Reply #107 on: September 17, 2017, 11:47:29 AM

Maturin is It's nemesis. Iirc they're two sides of the same coin. They are the oil and water of gods.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: September 17, 2017, 11:48:47 AM

Cool.

Hic sunt dracones.
schild
Administrator

Reply #109 on: September 17, 2017, 11:57:50 AM

I mean, in the book Maturin literally instructs the Losers on the ritual of chud which they use to beat it and Derry ends up getting destroyed.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: September 18, 2017, 08:01:15 AM

Why swap Mike and Ben and what does that mean for Chapter Two ?

I have tons of other stuff to say, but none of it I can really be bothered with.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: September 18, 2017, 10:18:11 AM

I mean, in the book Maturin literally instructs the Losers on the ritual of chud which they use to beat it and Derry ends up getting destroyed.

Shit, now I have to reread the book because I don't remember that at all. I thought they got the ritual by reading old Native American legends on how to get rid evil spirits or something. Not saying you are wrong, just cursing my wonky memory.

Hic sunt dracones.
schild
Administrator

Reply #112 on: September 18, 2017, 11:36:21 AM

Shit, now I have to reread the book because I don't remember that at all. I thought they got the ritual by reading old Native American legends on how to get rid evil spirits or something. Not saying you are wrong, just cursing my wonky memory.

Bill Denbrough first battled It with the Ritual with advice that was given to him by Maturin. The ritual is a psychic battle in which the two forces duel with their wits. The children believe that the metal silver has supernatural abilities, as seen in numerous monster movies. Because the children believe it, it becomes real and is a chief weapon used in the ritual. Because Beverly Marsh is good with a slingshot, they injure It the first time when Beverly shoots a chunk of silver into Its skull. The group thinks that they killed It, but they can't be sure, so they make a pact to return to Derry should It ever return. It was finally destroyed in the second Ritual of Chüd by the adult Bill Denbrough, Richie Tozier, Beverly Marsh, Eddie Kaspbrak (although he was killed by It) and Ben Hanscom.
schild
Administrator

Reply #113 on: September 21, 2017, 09:44:48 AM

IT has now beaten the 44 year old record held by The Exorcist (by a big fat $400k). No, not adjusted for inflation. But budgets aren't adjusted for inflation either (it would have cost over $70M in today's bucks).
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: September 21, 2017, 11:42:21 AM

OK WUA.

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: September 21, 2017, 11:52:29 AM

Beep beep, Eric.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
schild
Administrator

Reply #116 on: September 21, 2017, 01:09:45 PM

hey look, I just want R-Rated horror to be the standard, not the exception.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: September 21, 2017, 04:20:55 PM

What is the standard for horror?  PG-13?
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: September 21, 2017, 04:31:46 PM

What is the standard for horror?  PG-13?

More kids more dollars.
schild
Administrator

Reply #119 on: September 21, 2017, 04:37:00 PM

Bingo. PG-13 is terrible for horror.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: September 21, 2017, 09:51:24 PM

There are some good PG13 horror shows, but it's really hard to do. Hitting the rating means limiting characters and believable reactions to oh shit moments. As well as believable oh shit moments.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: September 22, 2017, 07:59:27 AM

IT was not a good horror film tho.  So there's that.

It was a good film.  It was not a good horror film.

Not sure why you're holding it to a 'standard' there.

schild
Administrator

Reply #122 on: September 22, 2017, 08:04:51 AM

IT was not a good horror film tho.  So there's that.

It was a good film.  It was not a good horror film.

Not sure why you're holding it to a 'standard' there.

It was R-rated and featured a fucking clown killing kids and kids saying shit and fuck a lot.

That's enough to get me what I want from Hollywood.

Edit: Also, counterpoint: IT was such a good horror film that it transcended horror and just became good film. As in, it broke out of the genre - but to pretend the base of story isn't horror is just silly.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #123 on: September 22, 2017, 08:16:36 AM

I actually think the reason it was so good it was that it was a coming of age story with horror as a thin genre veneer, at least the part that the movie portrays. The second part is more of a adult coming to grips with trauma with horror as the manifestation.

So it's kind of both.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: September 22, 2017, 09:15:11 AM

I'm not pretending shit.  I understand the base of the film was horror.  It wasn't a good one, imo.  It had jump scares and, well, that's about it.  It wasn't all that scary and every time it tried to be and built up the tension, it immediately ratcheted it right back down with a heartwarming scene or Richie and his jokes.  It never built into anything for me.  Don't misunderstand, I enjoyed it and thought it was a good film.  But I pretty much had the same reaction to Stand By Me, frankly, and I thought Stranger Things did what it tried to do sooooo much better.  I suspect that the adult follow up may be able to learn from that and build on it.

There was ONE scary moment for me that didn't involve jump scares and that was the unnatural silence of Pennywise after his popcorn line.  Genuinely impactful scene that bit ;  the silence, the stillness right after his giggling - that was Pennywise as fucking scary.

IT was such a good horror film that it transcended horror and just became good film.

Jesus Christ, if anyone who wasn't you wrote that, you'd be all over them for being an unbelievably pretentious schmuck.  But you do you, I guess.

schild
Administrator

Reply #125 on: September 22, 2017, 09:21:51 AM

Ironwood, what do you consider Silence of the Lambs?
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #126 on: September 22, 2017, 09:29:42 AM

Jesus Christ, if anyone who wasn't you wrote that, you'd be all over them for being an unbelievably pretentious schmuck.  
Art degree.  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #127 on: September 23, 2017, 03:20:16 AM

I don't think he's arguing that it's not a horror movie, he's arguing that the horror aspect of it isn't that good especially compared to the non-horror aspects. Saying it's not a horror movie is a dumb argument. Saying it's not a good horror movie is something I agree with to an extent.

And yeah it's great to see an R-rated horror movie cleaning up at the box office, but look at the competition.  Hollywood ended the Summer movie season a movie early this year and for wide-release movies has given us nothing but duds through September also. Maybe Kingsman will make some money this weekend but it will be despite the reviews. Hopefully Blade Runner is good because that's going to have to carry October almost entirely by itself.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: September 24, 2017, 08:30:54 AM

After seeing this I have to say, this was a good movie. this was not a good horror movie. Especially that ending. Like who knew a cosmic entity

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #129 on: September 25, 2017, 12:21:09 PM

Especially that ending. Like who knew a cosmic entity

Well,

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #130 on: September 26, 2017, 08:52:33 AM

I agree with Ironwood. IT was a good coming of age movie interrupted repeatedly by hackneyed jumpscare bullshittery.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: September 26, 2017, 12:08:25 PM

Especially that ending. Like who knew a cosmic entity

Well,

Well I always had a running theory in regards to IT

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: October 09, 2017, 02:45:14 PM

Good movie, great even, a few scary scenes (anything balloon related  why so serious? )

But OH MY GOD were those jumpscares annoying. I fucking hate it when the movie is trying to get a reaction with a loud noise. I am not an idiot, I can distinguish between beeing scared and startled.

And it was not even startling, I could count down from 10 for almost all the jump scare scenes. I might have seen too many bad horror movies in the last year.  awesome, for real

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: October 09, 2017, 03:32:54 PM

Did you really compare the two ?

I mean, really ?

Silence of the Lambs is many things.  And, yes, also a horror movie of a type.  An actual scary one, of course, since it really does build tension all the way through and has not one but two 'normal everyday people' who are genuinely scary as fuck.  It never really needs to go the 'jump scare' route, though it does in places, depending on what scares you.  I'm thinking heads in jars at this point.  Also, you'll note that wee silence of Pennywise (which I posited as genuinely chilling) was actually pretty much like the silences of Lecter and Buffalo Bill, in that you have a sort of dysfunctional/human moment where you can instantly see 'Nope, Chaps, this is Very Wrong, Get Out.'

But, really, this is not a valid comparison.  I'd be interested in watching you die on this hill, but cmon.  Really ?  You wanna tell me that SotL 'was such a good horror movie it transcended horror' too ?  Because that line is still mince.

I mean, I suppose the scene of Starling getting down to her pants and then jumping joyfully into that pool with the other FBI cadets DID somewhat spoil the constantly elevating tension, but.  Oh Wait.  That wasn't SotL. 

swamp poop

I get it.  You like IT more than me.  That's fine.

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: October 09, 2017, 03:37:20 PM

Dude, I like you quite a bit, and I like IT more than you. No offense, you're just no match. :D

schild
Administrator

Reply #135 on: December 11, 2017, 07:27:33 PM

this movie got fucking SNUBBED by the golden globes

having just watched Get Out, there's no world where Daniel deserves the nod over Skarsgaard for best actor

no no no

hell, the children were as good as daniel

and poor sophia lillis, not even a nod
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #136 on: December 11, 2017, 10:50:24 PM

having just watched Get Out, there's no world where Daniel deserves the nod over Skarsgaard for best actor

no no no

I can't say that I've seen all their work from 2017 but I doubt Bill would even deserve a Golden Globe nomination for Best Acting from a Skarsgard for the year.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: December 11, 2017, 11:55:59 PM

I'm shocked that a horror movie didn't get anything.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #138 on: December 12, 2017, 05:47:13 AM

Horror was as likely to get a nod as comedy or action movie for the roles you're talking about. It can happen but the "serious" head-up-your-ass movies are what the academies want to award. "Being an Adult," is the mindset and "adults only like serious things."

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
schild
Administrator

Reply #139 on: December 12, 2017, 06:13:34 AM

no no no

I can't say that I've seen all their work from 2017 but I doubt Bill would even deserve a Golden Globe nomination for Best Acting from a Skarsgard for the year.
Did another Skarsgaard take on a beloved role from over two decades ago and defy all expectations?

But yes, that is a family of p good actors.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: IT  
Jump to: