Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:17:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Justice League 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Justice League  (Read 60472 times)
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #175 on: April 01, 2021, 04:25:50 AM

Haven't seen them.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #176 on: April 01, 2021, 07:19:44 AM

It's hard to tell whether you'd like any of them; about half the dislike for them is about Snyder's visual style and narrative management (he has trouble telling a story efficiently unless he's working tightly from someone else's story), and about half is about tonality and characterization that many fans of the characters intensely dislike. People who don't know comics either love or hate the former; the second issue is (mostly) about how different people feel about comics, though there are people who just find the dark tones and moods of his movies kind of unfun regardless of what they're about. It's worth at least watching a bit of Justice League to see how you feel about it, probably--there are people who absolutely love his stuff and there are those who at least find it watchable and diverting.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #177 on: April 01, 2021, 10:12:07 AM

I generally liked it except for the bullshit at the end. Much more coherent (if overstuffed in some places) story arc and the villain actually made a modicum of sense (in comic book terms) in this version.  Still too much slow-mo.  Cut that back and trim it here and there and its a very solid 3 hour movie.

I've never been into comic books or superheroes. DC and Marvel were all the same to me until they started defining themselves as TV and movie brands. I had no awareness of the original movie, nor of the Snyder/Whedon controversy, nor that the Snyder cut was coming up. I've watched a lot of Marvel movies, but I'm sick of them. I don't think they're particularly good. However, I loved the Netflix Marvel series. I love sci-fi.

A four-hour, 4:3 recut of an action movie intrigues me, in a kind of "what the fuck" way. I've got access to it. Should I watch this thing?

You could just stop if you don't like it, don't get HBO max just for this but no reason not to check it out if you already have it.

I am the .00000001428%
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #178 on: April 01, 2021, 02:22:27 PM

The right 'strategy' for WB and DC right now is to stop giving shits about continuity and make good movies. Give directors and writers freedom to do whatever and let people capable of good movies have a go.

Heh, they are going to do the opposite. They just cancelled DuVernay's New Gods and Wan's The Trench.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #179 on: April 01, 2021, 10:28:43 PM

Seriously? What a mess.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: April 02, 2021, 04:51:01 AM

They are transparently jealous of the MCU's success and always have been. Everything they have done has been an attempt to replicate that success, even though they have not laid any of the groundwork. Going from Man of Steel right into Batman vs Superman (which also introduced Wonder Woman, Lex Luthor and Doomsday) is the classic example of trying to run before you can walk. On paper it looks like DC had 4 movies before JL compared to Marvel's 5 before Avengers, but Suicide Squad barely counts (since none of them featured in JL at all) and BvS is already a crossover movie. Having MoS, Wonder Woman, a second Superman movie and a standalone Batman movie before Batman vs Superman would have felt like a complete Tier of movies; from there, you do Aquaman, Wonder Woman 2, and maybe Flash before Justice League and you've finally started to build investment in a universe.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: April 02, 2021, 07:29:05 AM

Well, right, but you also have to decide on some shared ground rules even if you have films that are ranging widely in mood or style. It's not just a matter of how many films, but how the films do some shared world-building. If you look at the MCU, basically Iron Man + Thor + Captain America establish: *why do people start dressing up in colorful spandex and fighting in public? *are there superpowers in this universe? Ok, where do they come from? *what creates interactions between these characters? *how does each film change the universe's status quo?

BvS was the unforgiveable fuck-up in the DCU sequence. If it had been "a relatively new secretive urban vigilante is alarmed by the emergence of Superman and begins to research rumors of other metahumans; he confronts Superman but discovers the real enemy is Lex Luthor", that could have worked. But once it was "Batman's been around for 20 years and oh yeah is determined to kill Superman because Superman is dangerous oh yeah here come those panels from Miller's Dark Knight Returns yeeeeeahhhh" the whole thing fell apart--it was kind of like DC scrambling to figure out what its continuity actually was after Crisis on Infinite Earths (do these characters know each other? for how long? what stories still happened and are remembered? what stories never happened? ok, let's reinvent that character! but wait most of the others are still the same, so do they know the new one?). You pull the wrong jenga stick out of the tower and the whole thing falls down.

If they actually do decide to continue the Snyderverse they're never going to be able to fix that problem. They're pointing towards an Injustice League film, but where are the characters for that going to come from? Zuckerberg Luthor only has one go-round with Superman, it's hardly a lifetime grudge (Superman is barely even aware of Luthor, really). The Joker and Deathstroke are being shoehorned into what we've been told is a secretive, hidden, rumored career of the Batman. I guess they'd do Black Manta for Aquaman, we've seen him in one film and he does have a pretty lasting villain motivation now. Wonder Woman has no continuing enemies and doesn't seem even all that motivated up until the JL film to be a superhero per se, she just occasionally goes around malls and beats up muggers or terrorists for the occasional kicks. I guess you could say "oh wait somehow the Cheetah got Cheetah-ed again". Flash doesn't have enemies yet. Now we're told Martian Manhunter's been around for decades too but come on. Cyborg doesn't have enemies. And like I said, there is absolutely no way that Gunn's Suicide Squad characters make even the remotest sense in the Snyderverse as it has been established.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #182 on: April 02, 2021, 07:32:01 AM

I agree with all of that.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #183 on: April 03, 2021, 08:30:16 PM

Plainly they're better off just saying "we have lots and lots o' superheroes, guys, make a pitch, we're open for business. We could have three Batman movies in a row with really different takes, it's cool. We are the anti-franchise". It would be the smartest imaginable thing they could do and curiously consistent with the actual history of the DCU.

That actually seems to have been the strategy they've taken since Wonder Woman's success with things going forward. The movies that are tied to Justice League will kind of sort of acknowledge that there's a bigger universe out there, but nothing more than passing mentions. They are treating any comic pitch now as a standalone, focusing on trying to make good films instead of one universe franchise. But this is WB, and it's now owned by AT&T, and one thing both those companies have in common is the inability to freak out and change their strategy mid-stream if they think it won't make enough money. The relative success of the Snyder Cut (there does actually seem to be some positive buzz about it, mostly because there are some parts that are improved even if the whole is still a bad movie) has got the talk of returning to the Snyderverse an option.

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #184 on: April 03, 2021, 09:09:16 PM

The Snydercut wasn't a *bad* movie, except for being still going 30 minutes after it ended. It just lacked a foundation. Infinity War/Endgame (neither holds together alone) was longer. But it built on 30 hours of spade work, and JL Snydercut had, on a generous take, 5 hours worth.

An origin movie for Flash and Cyborg, some more Martian Manhunter cameos, some actual fucking worldbuilding, we'd have had a Thing. This was not an earned Thing.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: April 05, 2021, 05:48:29 PM

That's all it comes down to: Snyder had some comics panels and stories in his head, he didn't have the patience to build an actual saga in the deepest oldest sense of that word. And his partners hated comic books or just wanted the money man. So no world-work, no long-form narrative, no slow (or medium) burns. Just "Batman Hates Superman Kills Superman Whoops Wishes He Hadn't Wonder Woman Been Around Hey Batman Actually Your Dreams Are About Ancient Evil Ok Sorry Wish I Hadn't Let's Get Aquaman and Flash and Shit Oh Hey Plot-Important Black Robot Guy Let's Fight Demons Oh Fuck We Need Superman McGuffin Says Here's Superman But He's Fighty and Bitey Let's Fight Demons Here's Superman Batman Likes You Now Duh-da-Dah Justice League! Now Martian Manhunter and Also We Totally Planned on Lex Luthor and Injustice League Stuff Really We Did. Wait I Ran Out of Comics Panels.

Saga is a real meaningful concept here--you follow a character or maybe some characters through thick and thin and the best ones eventually build to some explosive shit. You do not do the explosive shit at the beginning or have in mind something that Njal has just got to be doing after 20 years of blood feud and trolls and shit that you decide to skip to.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: April 06, 2021, 12:51:56 AM

Sure, but I think people overstate the quality of the world building in the MCU by comparison.

Mostly they just have better writers and directors. And better source material.

The first Avengers film was the best one, and the world building that came before it was pretty trivial. Three origin movies and a couple of post credits scenes with Sam Jackson. And Avengers 1 works fine if you haven't seen any of them.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 01:05:32 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #187 on: April 06, 2021, 03:53:57 AM

The first MCU end credits thing that I know of was on the Edward Norton 2008 Incredible Hulk Movie, and that was with Stark.

Of course that was one of the few MCU movies I have actually seen so I'm not the demographic to know this stuff.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 03:55:31 AM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: April 06, 2021, 07:42:59 AM

I read around a bit on why the fuck people keep hiring Zac Snyder, and surprisingly often the answer that comes up is 'because he isn't a dick and people like working with him'.

You know what, I'm going with that. If WB want to bury a money pit because the architect is a nice guy, well it means the world makes more sense than if it is for any other reason that has been suggested.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: April 06, 2021, 10:29:10 AM

If that's the reason, I have to say fair enough. Just give the guy a storyboard or an already written story and he is fine. Watchmen proved that.

Hic sunt dracones.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #190 on: April 06, 2021, 10:35:56 AM

You are ascribing a level of empathy to Warner Bros that feels unwarranted. A more likely explanation is that they couldn't / can't find anybody else better.

Edit: they
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 10:37:41 AM by Trippy »
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: April 06, 2021, 11:47:35 AM

Shush.

Stop spoiling my happy moment of the world making a little sense in one small but wholesome way.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: April 06, 2021, 11:56:45 AM

I don't think it's any of the above--which is not to rule out the thought that Snyder may be a pretty chill guy that actors or producers are happy to work with.

I think it takes basically remembering the sequence of things here:

WB owns comic-book characters. Once upon a time, more valuable comic-book characters than Marvel (Batman and Superman). Superman makes ok money in 1978, not Star Wars money, and it's kind of a weird deal, but hey. Batman movies make a lot of money when made by Tim Burton, and then less money when made by Joel Schumacher. Oh well, says WB, let it sit for a bit. They try another Superman movie in 2006 because man, those Spider-Man movies directed by Raimi made some good $$$, and well that doesn't go so well. Let it sit for a bit. But on the other hand at the same time they make a Batman movie made by an arty director that the critics really like and it does really really well AND the critics like it. And then they make the sequel to that and holy balls they make lots and lots of money and the critics love it and the dead actor wins an award and wow.

WB suits don't really know comics and they don't like them much but damn they do like how those Batman movies did. Well, Nolan doesn't want to make more, but there's this other guy Goyer who is kind of part of the project and he's willing to do more--and like the suits, he actually thinks comics are kind of dumb. Win-win! And in the meantime, WTF look at Marvel, they've made SIX comic book movies in between Batman Begins and Dark Knight Rises and they've made MEGA MONEY, especially with The Avengers. WB says: get us in the game, coach!

Goyer says We need a guy who is good at comic-book movies. Zac Snyder is good at comic-book movies! 300! Watchmen! And the critics sort of like him? And he kind of wants to make comic superheroes more adult and serious? WB guys say: that's our boy then, here is money, go go go. And voila! Man of Steel! Sign us a big deal! Let's catch up with Marvel! Bring us the money!

I think Snyder and Goyer were guys who looked like they had a plan, and WB were guys who needed guys who had a plan, and the guys who looked like they had a plan were able to get the WB guys to overcommit a lot of resources and ink a lot of deals. It wasn't under Wonder Woman that they began to wonder whether they needed more baskets and some eggs from other chickens.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #193 on: April 06, 2021, 01:06:52 PM

No need to overcomplicate the basic tenet that DC Sucks and Marvel Rules.

DC formula: put your briefs on over your pants and slap your gender to the end of your name. Why would anyone expect a lot of of these folks?
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #194 on: April 06, 2021, 01:45:25 PM

I read around a bit on why the fuck people keep hiring Zac Snyder, and surprisingly often the answer that comes up is 'because he isn't a dick and people like working with him'.

You know what, I'm going with that. If WB want to bury a money pit because the architect is a nice guy, well it means the world makes more sense than if it is for any other reason that has been suggested.

The guy has done a number of movies I don't like and at least a couple I do but he has at least a general level of competence even at his worst. As far as "how many chances will Hollywood give this guy?" types go, Snyder is nowhere near one of the more egregious examples. Not even in the top 100.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #195 on: April 06, 2021, 01:59:47 PM

I've been grumpy about Zac Snyder being given money to make movies ever since people who should know better convinced me to sit through 300.

So I might be guilty of not giving him a chance at this point.

But I sat through MoS with a reasonably open mind, and through BvS for reasons I forget - I was being held hostage possibly. And they were really bad. I mean really bad.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 02:20:07 PM by eldaec »

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #196 on: April 06, 2021, 02:37:03 PM

Latest reporting on the Ray Fisher vs. Joss Whedon and Geoff Johns thing: WB execs say on background that Fisher is Zac Snyder's pawn who is using him to force WB to give him back the DC Universe. Fisher is like "wow, talk about fucking demeaning, like I can't have my own ideas". So like who knows what is going on, really. But you certainly can see from the Snyder cut why Fisher in specific really hated Whedon's guts and likely vice-versa, because Cyborg's story is pretty much the backbone of Snyder's Justice League and he's a minor character in Whedon's version. But on the other hand you can see why Whedon might have wanted him cut aside from strong black character or whatever--because Cyborg's plot is impossible to make funny or upbeat plus it eats a lot of running time. (FWIW, it's how Cyborg's story is characterized in everything BUT the funny Teen Titans cartoon--he's always been a broody character who has a very complicated relationship with a father who both loves him and is the cause of his current condition. Snyderverse Cyborg is really close to Young Justice Cyborg is really close to Doom Patrol Cyborg. It's even a bit what he was in the anime-serious Teen Titans, though on the lighter side and without so much backstory.)
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #197 on: April 06, 2021, 03:45:16 PM

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #198 on: April 06, 2021, 05:05:16 PM

The first MCU end credits thing that I know of was on the Edward Norton 2008 Incredible Hulk Movie, and that was with Stark.

Of course that was one of the few MCU movies I have actually seen so I'm not the demographic to know this stuff.
Pretty much every mainline marvel movie had an "after credit" scene.  They really didn't pick up with the "mid credit" and "after credit" thing until phase 2.               
- IM 1 had Fury           
- Hulk's Stark scene wasn't "end credit" I don't think though. I think it was the second last scene in the movie (pretty sure the last scene is Banner Meditating in the BC wilderness cabin).             
- Im 2 had something, cant remember what though.               
- Thor had the Fury Teseract tease with Loki manipulating the Scientist guy.                 
- Cap Am had Fury again telling Cap he has a "mission".           
- And of course Avengers had the schwarma scene + I think a direct Thanos Tease.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #199 on: April 06, 2021, 05:16:14 PM

I don't doubt that Whedon was probably horrible for a lot of people to work for. I also have no doubt that it sucks to sign on for something like Justice League as one of your first roles only to have the part you signed up for completely change while in the middle of making the movie. That said, whatever larger complaint Fisher has gets kinda undercut by complaints about stuff like being asked to say "booyah" because the animated version of the character says it. A good chunk of the complaint here seems to be that Fisher attempted to have some creative input regarding Cyborg and was shut down, which isn't too surprising. I generally wouldn't expect the creative heads of a Hollywood blockbuster to take story notes from the least experienced lead actor on the set.
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #200 on: April 06, 2021, 06:18:58 PM

I don't doubt that Whedon was probably horrible for a lot of people to work for. I also have no doubt that it sucks to sign on for something like Justice League as one of your first roles only to have the part you signed up for completely change while in the middle of making the movie. That said, whatever larger complaint Fisher has gets kinda undercut by complaints about stuff like being asked to say "booyah" because the animated version of the character says it. A good chunk of the complaint here seems to be that Fisher attempted to have some creative input regarding Cyborg and was shut down, which isn't too surprising. I generally wouldn't expect the creative heads of a Hollywood blockbuster to take story notes from the least experienced lead actor on the set.

Whedon literally requested feedback then wouldn't let him or others comment. Whedon threatened to end Gadot's career.

I sort of get his "booyah" issue, although I'm surprised how sensitive he is to it, given how young he is.

I didn't really watch the Snyder Cut but everyone says he played a huge, emotion role in it. I can understand how he'd be upset at the thought of Whedon ditching that and turning him into Stepin Fetchit.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #201 on: April 06, 2021, 10:54:07 PM

You're probably right, haven't seen the movie since 2008.  why so serious?

Hic sunt dracones.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #202 on: April 07, 2021, 01:14:48 AM

Reading that piece, and everything else coming out about Whedon, I got the impression it wasn't so much the fact of the specific Booyah as the way Whedon apparently insists on a pointlessly aggressive way of communicating with everyone working for him.

I can only imagine what an ass a guy like that would be after being called in to fix something widely expected to be bad.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 11:59:02 AM by eldaec »

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #203 on: April 07, 2021, 05:41:50 AM

Is there some racist connotation for the word Booyah that I am unaware of here?

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #204 on: April 07, 2021, 09:07:06 AM

Wondering about that too. And how is what happened to Cyborg's role any worse than what happened with the Flash? The cries of racism aren't making much sense to me here.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #205 on: April 07, 2021, 10:06:03 AM

I don't think there is anything specific about the word, it's just that it's a kind of silly catchphrase that really makes no sense in the context of how Cyborg is characterized in what had been filmed by the time Whedon came on board. I think it just became the focal point of Whedon's struggle with the existing cast--he was brought on board to "fix" a film they'd largely already made and it seems pretty clear that he came into that with an aggressive frame of mind that was predisposed to see everybody already involved with the film in antagonistic terms. Since Fisher was the person getting the worst cuts, I think he and Whedon just squared off over the word as a sort of focal point for their larger struggle.

I'm kind of reminded of an anthropological film called Nisa--it's focused on a single Kung!San woman in Namibia (the people who have sometimes been called "Bushmen"). About halfway through the film, it's transitioning from a fairly conventional "this is what life is like for Nisa, these are the ways of her people" to a film that's more and more breaking the fourth wall--she is talking more with the people behind the camera about the entire idea of the documentary and some of her discomfort with it, and we're hearing more and more of their dialogue with her (on purpose). Then suddenly the anthropologist working on the film and the crew happen to be around when the guy filming the movie The Gods Must Be Crazy comes around and wants to work with this same group in filming some of the early scenes in the film. There's this hilarious bit where a Kung!San father is supposed to hold up a young child who is greeting him when he comes back from the hunt. The father "gets it wrong" every single take--he does something other than what the director is telling him to do. The director, exasperated, keeps commenting that it just shows how backward these people are, they can't follow a simple direction. But when the film crew leaves, we get a clear picture that the guy they asked to play the father was very deliberately punking the director out of dislike for the whole thing (except for the part about getting paid).

I kind of think Fisher was just determined to let Whedon know he didn't like anything about what Whedon was doing once he realized that most of his work was going to end up on the cutting-room floor and as a result Whedon fixated on making the guy say "Booyah!" as a kind of symbolic sign of submission to Whedon's authority. You can sort of see that in the Hollywood Reporter story in that when they finally filmed the scene, Whedon quotes Shakespeare at Fisher and the quote is very precisely about exactly this point: that actors should obey their playwright.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #206 on: April 07, 2021, 10:12:29 AM

- Im 2 had something, cant remember what though.               

Coulson + Mjolnir.

I am the .00000001428%
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #207 on: April 07, 2021, 07:59:51 PM

To be fair to Fisher, Cyborg and Flash's arcs were much better in the Snyder Cut (as in they actually had arcs), though I did like the chemistry the two actors had in the Whedon cut. Snyder's version cut down Aquaman's part pretty significantly, leaving him bereft of much characterization while the Whedon cut had him with a few more fun lines.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #208 on: April 07, 2021, 08:29:54 PM

Yeah, Whedon clearly identified Momoa as the guy to bring the fun, and Flash as a secondary source of humor (hence falling on Wonder Woman's tits, etc.) Affleck too, who knows how to deliver sly lines if he gets the chance.  Plus Whedon brought in a bunch of meta-humor because that worked for him on Avengers ("puny god") but it doesn't really work in his cut.
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #209 on: April 08, 2021, 01:06:36 AM

Basically what Khaldun said. It's not just the phrase but the context. Ray himself said (in the article) he didn't mind the word on its own, he just didn't want his character to be like Jimmy Walker or Gary Coleman (I remember liking Good Times and Different Strokes as a child, but I can see how as an adult in the 21st century that's the last thing he'd want to do).  

From Fisher's perspective they wanted his character to be less tragic and more submissive/servile, say ridiculous things in an exaggerated tone/voice and smile more. The only thing left for Bingo is tap dancing.

It's dated now but Hollywood Shuffle had a parody of the kind of character I'm talking about. This clip shows a bit from the parody show that exists in that universe, as well as Robert's struggles to land an acting job:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l4PlS6E-QY&ab_channel=AllJD
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 02:07:15 AM by Raguel »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Justice League  
Jump to: