Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:06:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Justice League 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Justice League  (Read 60466 times)
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: November 19, 2017, 02:19:44 AM

It also does a good job of highlighting everything I hate about their current iteration of Batman.  
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 02:22:37 AM by SurfD »

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: November 26, 2017, 06:45:57 AM

Bad. BvS bad. The few things that they got right were things they should have had right all along and all of the problems that they've carried from prior films continue to annoy the heck out of me. They don't even understand their characters. If I were them, I would accelerate into a Crisis on infinite Earths storyline and use that to jettison everyone except Superman and Wonder Woman. Then I'd replace the entire creative team except Jenkins.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 10:02:25 PM by jgsugden »

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: November 26, 2017, 11:48:22 AM

Prior films?  Or Richard Pryor films?

Or was there someone else named Pryor involved with the films.

So confused right now.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: November 26, 2017, 03:03:37 PM

I haven't even really felt the desire to see this. That's saying something. It's not even hate or anger, it's just, "Oh, meh, I'm busy and I'm tired and it just isn't interesting."
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: November 26, 2017, 10:03:49 PM

Prior films?  Or Richard Pryor films?

Or was there someone else named Pryor involved with the films.

So confused right now.
Crappy voice text and tired eyes. Apologies.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: November 26, 2017, 10:05:47 PM

I haven't even really felt the desire to see this. That's saying something. It's not even hate or anger, it's just, "Oh, meh, I'm busy and I'm tired and it just isn't interesting."

Don't bother. I had hopes after WW and Whedon coming on board to doctor the film that it would be a decent film. It was bad. There were perhaps 4 or 5 moments I enjoyed over the two hours.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #76 on: November 27, 2017, 09:09:05 AM

I disagree with what you said.

As for the portrayal of Batman, it's not necessarily my choice, but it does have precedence in the comics. This is essentially Zak Snyder's film version of the Batman from Dark Knight Returns, big tank and all.

The movie was better than it deserved to be, mainly because the actors played their characters well, and Whedon got some of the Snyder grimstank off of it. It's not as good as the Marvel movies, true, but it is not as bad as jgsugden makes it out to be, and it's worlds better than BVS.

taleril
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: December 11, 2017, 03:34:28 PM

Felt pretty middle-of-the-road to me overall.  Not as bad as I was worried it would be.  The thing that kept battering my suspension of disbelief was
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: December 12, 2017, 12:56:45 AM

Coworker mentioned that with the money Warner was throwing at this thing, and the probable expected difference in budget and potential earnings between League and the movie Cavill had grown the mustache for, Warner should have just commanded him to shave the fucking thing hand had their hair and wig department make Cavill the most realistic fake mustache they could for the remainder of his shoot on the other movie.  The fake mustache would likely have been WAY more convincing and less noticeable in his other movie than the fucking hatchet job they did trying to remove it with CGI for league, not to mention that between the two options, the fake mustache would have been a hell of a lot cheaper.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: February 25, 2018, 04:17:42 AM

We watched this on cable last night.

I think it was worse than BvS, really. We actually gave up 3/4 of the way in. It felt like a bad videogame, not an actual story. Steppenwolf was utterly unmenacing and uninvolving. The opening is idiotic--the world is in mourning for a guy they barely knew whose major achievement was contributing to the destruction of a major city? Post-WWs own movie, the idea that she's been in hiding for a century feels really wrong--she doesn't feel like the character who was so engaging in her own film. I actually kind of like Affleck's version of the character but he also doesn't really make sense in this cobbled-together patchwork of a universe. Cyborg is not a character here, he's a plot device. Flash and Aquaman are funny and engaging but in very disjointed ways.

Just bad. What a waste of characters, money, you name it.

Mark Millar has just been blathering about how DC can never make a good movie because their superheroes aren't interesting for films, they don't have real personalities. That's a dumb position. These characters can work--but their need someone like Kevin Feige as the master of ceremonies, someone who gets the characters and has real affection for them. They really should just push out the James Wan Aquaman movie and then just scrap the rest and start over--keep making Wonder Woman movies with that production team and then rebuild everything else up.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #80 on: February 25, 2018, 11:43:10 AM

The problem with DC's movies aren't the characters, it's the writers they put in charge of those characters (Zak Snyder) and the execs who have no patience for anything that isn't an immediate commercial hit. Just in the 5 years since Man of Steel was a modest success at the box office, they've changed direction on the entire range of DC movies multiple times, mostly because they just clearly do not have a coherent plan or the patience to let their current plan play out past the last weekend's take.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: February 25, 2018, 02:35:28 PM

I was honest to god surprised that it was as bad as it was.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #82 on: February 25, 2018, 02:48:03 PM

I liked it and was surprised it wasn't worse. They managed to piece together a coherent film that mostly held together despite clear structural issues (thanks to Warner's inability to keep a plan together), divergent tonal shifts (two directors) and the legacy narrative bits it had to deal with from the Snyder movies.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: February 25, 2018, 02:52:52 PM

I'm just going to go ahead and shove my two cents in here :  Sure, writers and people who give a shit helps, but DC heroes are not very interesting.  Especially the JL big forerunners.  They're supposed to be 'as Gods' and, frankly, Gods are boring as SHIT.

Give me the Marvel Fallible any day.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
schild
Administrator

Reply #84 on: February 25, 2018, 03:01:12 PM

I'm just going to go ahead and shove my two cents in here :  Sure, writers and people who give a shit helps, but DC heroes are not very interesting.  Especially the JL big forerunners.  They're supposed to be 'as Gods' and, frankly, Gods are boring as SHIT.

Give me the Marvel Fallible any day.

It all comes down to the people in charge. Thor is a shit character, a literal god, and they made Ragnarok some sort of slapstick horseshit. Which is great and watchable. Comic book characters are pretty universally miserable, DC just suffers more because they used up their entire power vocabulary with Superman.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: July 22, 2018, 04:45:02 PM

I saw this last week on HBO and even with my expectations at rock-bottom.  Fuck, this was bad.  A complete snooze fest as I nodded off about hour into it.   

And why did some of the characters have fake CGI faces?  WTH was up with that?

Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: July 22, 2018, 04:49:10 PM

Superman was under contract to do another movie, in which he had a mustache.  Rather than buy out his contract, or negotiate for a delay, they decided to CGI-ify away the 'stache.

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: August 22, 2018, 01:42:58 AM

As said already, fake mustaches aren't a new thing, I suspect you can get some pretty convincing ones cheaper than a single CGI manipulated frame.

Not that the mustache would have saved this movie. It had more problems than you can count. They even reduced Wonder Woman from a hero in her own movie to a vessel for sexual innuendo, coworker harassment, and individual body parts to be gazed at by the camera (ass cheeks mostly.) Not that I complain about the last part, her body is the best thing about the movie, but still. That must have hurt after a film that was lauded for its female empowerment.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: August 22, 2018, 08:16:43 AM

I didn't know about the moustache, but it is a better story than the one they filmed.

On the personality/god thing. They don't have to have no personality and they don't have to be gods. These films are made by professional film makers who are supposed to be capable of creating a character with a personality and selling that character in <120 minutes. It is literally their job.

Fuck sake Lois and Clark managed it.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 08:21:29 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: August 22, 2018, 08:40:17 AM

Marvel can animate each individual hair on a god damn raccoon and DC can't manage to wipe off a mustache.

I am the .00000001428%
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: August 22, 2018, 10:29:08 AM

Marvel can make you believe in a talking raccoon as a legitimate character in the first place.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: August 22, 2018, 02:34:11 PM

To be fair, I doubt Marvel could do it with Zac Snyder directing.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #92 on: August 22, 2018, 02:40:40 PM

I just couldn't get past the baby mouthed Superman. I bowed out before they even showed anything else. It's just so jarring that a major motion picture company to leave that garbage in.

-Rasix
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: August 22, 2018, 02:59:15 PM

I mean, shit, have Superman grow a scraggly beard to go with the stache while he's dead and then have him be Hobo Superman for the rest of the film until he redons the suit at the very end, why not? Anything but what they did.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #94 on: August 23, 2018, 12:37:13 AM

As said already, fake mustaches aren't a new thing, I suspect you can get some pretty convincing ones cheaper than a single CGI manipulated frame.

The other movie that he needed the mustache for was Mission Impossible. Fake mustaches don't really cut it quite as well when they need to stay firmly on during stunts and fight scenes.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: August 23, 2018, 01:29:43 AM

I don't really care about the Scientologist Supremes beards, so why should I care about the mustaches in his movies.  Rimshot
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: May 20, 2020, 03:45:03 PM

I … don't … Snyder Cut For Real
… ok.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: May 20, 2020, 04:53:45 PM

I bet there are few cool scenes but its still a big pile of steaming grimdark crap.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: May 20, 2020, 05:37:36 PM

Give or take a few cool scenes.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #99 on: May 20, 2020, 06:40:03 PM

Oh dear. This can only end in tears.

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #100 on: May 20, 2020, 06:54:58 PM

Like, I want to see what happens when Snyder has literally no filter, but....

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: May 20, 2020, 08:52:13 PM

I'm actually curious - what if (shockingly) this turns out to be good?  Better than the version we saw by a lot.  Do they then say, "Just kidding - this is the official version"?  Do they build off of it?

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: May 20, 2020, 09:15:34 PM

That's like saying "What if QAnon is real and completely right about everything?" The shitty things about BvS and Justice League have Snyder's long-established bad judgment all over them.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #103 on: May 21, 2020, 06:19:32 AM

I'm actually curious - what if (shockingly) this turns out to be good?  Better than the version we saw by a lot.  Do they then say, "Just kidding - this is the official version"?  Do they build off of it?

The extended cut of Batman v Superman would seem to argue against this even being a possibility. It will be longer, grimmer and more blue-toned.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: May 21, 2020, 07:04:05 AM

You guys did note the word shockingly, right?  We all expect this effort to fall far short of the incredibly low bar of being better than the theatrical version. 

Still, there are some things this version could do that the theatrical one did not - it could carry through elements from BvS and give them a payoff.  It might even course correct for some of those mistakes instead of ignoring them.  I'll be curious to see how enthusiastic Affleck and Cavill are to record new material (voice?  or even suit up for something?) for it.  And it is interesting that as plans for this progressed, Cavill started to show more interest in returning to the role.

However,  if I were DC, I'd be doing an entire reboot under our noses.  I'd reboot Smallville on HBOMAX with the secret plan that it was setting the rules, stage and background for a new cinematic DC universe.  It'd spend 40 to 80 hours over 3 to 5 years slowly introducing and normalizing the features of the DC universe so that they could then jump to films with the minimal background in the film that we usually get and the full background for the nerds in the shows. 

Clark Kent as a high school kid for a season, then him spending a couple seasons in college going into journalism (giving them an excuse to visit Gotham, Star City, encounter/discover ageless characters like Wonder Woman, etc...) and then end it with him getting a job at the Daily Planet in a season finale that goes into a big summer film two months later that gives us a new Superman. If you started that effort now, you could get set up for it to pay off in films at just the right time for people to overlook the current trainwrecks.  It'd suck to lose the Wonder Woman franchise, but you could do two more films before they had to reboot there.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Justice League  
Jump to: