Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:13:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2017 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NFL 2017  (Read 121674 times)
WayAbvPar

on: March 17, 2017, 01:15:55 PM

New league year, new thread. Off season is too long!

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 01:56:11 PM

I'm now being kept in the loop about trades for the first time ever, because my fiancee signed onto her NFL app as a Pats fan.  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 12:13:09 PM

I'm now being kept in the loop about trades for the first time ever, because my fiancee signed onto her NFL app as a Pats fan.  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

I seriously don't know why people even keep working on trades with them. It's like handing the winning guy in Monopoly your fields for half of what it cost to acquire them.
And yes, I'm just jealous.

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 12:29:42 PM

So the Bears signed Mark Sanchez, just in case Mike Glennon gets injured or sucks. (Hint: he's going to get injured and/or suck). Sanchize will join the list of a guy who was injured all last year, a guy who lost his starting job by default to Jameis Winston and whoever they will draft (who will eventually be considered a bust).

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 12:31:00 PM

And the Raiders are moving to Vegas.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 12:33:59 PM

Oh yeah, that! They'll be moving in 2019, so Raiders' fans who were psyched about the upward trend of their franchise get to watch 2 years of improvements before the Las Vegas team wins the Super Bowl in their inaugural season in Sheldon Adelson's gilded sweaty old man ball sack of a stadium paid for without almost a billion fucking dollars of taxpayer money.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 02:28:47 PM

Meanwhile, no one wants to go anywhere near Kaepernick.
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 04:09:53 PM

True... I just wish it was because he sucks (he does), but I know it's more about the dumb kneeling thing.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 10:19:08 AM

He's a fringe guy that has to play in a certain system, so that already limits who would want him. Couple that with the baggage and there are better options out there that require little distraction.

But I think it's more of the first part than the second part. The second part of his politics is just the final straw.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 04:30:43 PM

No one would give a shit about his politics if he could throw for 5000 yards.

NFL bans jumping over line to block kicks.

NFL shoots down rule to push touchbacks to 20 yd line if kicker puts it through the uprights..

NFL continues to hate fun.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 07:42:48 AM

Upside, the NFL is finally starting to look at the commercial breaks after kickoffs. Fans complained enough about the amount of breaks that they may get less breaks but they'll be longer (I'm fine with this actually).

In my mind there should be longer breaks at the ends of quarters, and longer breaks on change of possession. There should be no breaks after a kickoff, shorter breaks on timeouts.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 08:24:24 AM

I got interested in the NFL due to these threads so I tried watching ESPN a couple of years ago. I found it totally unwatchable due to the constant fucking ads. Seriously guys.

But I read somewhere that ESPN is in big trouble in any case. It's already one of the most expensive channels out there, so that source of revenue is maxed out, but fees to broadcast games just keep rising due to Greedy NFL owners. And it is bleeding subscribers. It is losing 13% ad revenue year by year according to this article

https://www.fool.com/investing/2016/11/21/espn-subscriber-losses-finally-take-their-toll-at.aspx

In short they may be desperate for money.

Hic sunt dracones.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #12 on: March 29, 2017, 08:45:53 AM

Part of the reason they are losing subs is that people are cutting the cord on cable and getting ESPN through other providers like streamers.

The other reason is that ESPN is trying desperately to pander to the younger people they are losing, so they have really gotten involved in bullshit thinkpieces and items unrelated to actual sports, and that's driving off their older fanbase.

I used to watch Sportscenter all the time. It's unwatchable garbage now with the terrible talent, the bad storylines, and the fact they refuse to cover teams and instead favor historical nonsense or thinkpieces. I mean the top article right now on ESPN's website is a piece on the 2016 Villanova shot over UNC. Why? We're in the middle of the final four and you're wasting time talking about a shot from a year ago? Or the Gonzaga coach's legacy? Or refs getting death threats from UK fans? WTF?

Compare to a site like CBS Sports (a much better sports site imo) that's looking at NFL Mock Drafts, 2018 QBs, Fantasy sleepers in baseball, Vegas odds on the NCAA, the Raiders moving, etc.

That's sports. Sports people love gambling, fantasy, and current shit in the NFL that projects to the season coming. They aren't looking for fluff about semi-political hot take machines.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: March 29, 2017, 09:31:35 AM

No one watches Sportscenter, or probably any other highlights on TV nowadays. Of your cable bill like $5 is for ESPN (I forget the exact number but it's the most expensive) which worked 10-15 years ago but now is fucking stupid.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #14 on: March 29, 2017, 09:45:30 AM

The ad revenue hit that all sports broadcasters took when the daily fantasy sites pulled back was fucking HUGE. They were spending just a fucking obscene amount of money on ads.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #15 on: March 29, 2017, 09:00:13 PM

ESPN is just fucking up. They have obvious terrible biases. They cancelled Grantland. They keep giving more and more time to sports versions of the worst of cable news channel programming, garbage like First Take and Around the Horn. They are trying to pander to both the right wing radio listening crowd and the sjw millennial and just pissing off both. Doubly stupid considering nobody 35 or younger thinks any cable package is a good deal. They should have stuck to the Sportscenter is an homage to old school trusted news but about sports thing they had for awhile.

ESPN dying will be one of the most justified capitalism deaths since tower records and all those places that didn't stock good used, weren't neighborhood, didn't carry vinyl etc.

fuck em couldn't happen to a bigger bunch of shitlords

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: March 30, 2017, 04:59:15 AM

Part of the reason they are losing subs is that people are cutting the cord on cable and getting ESPN through other providers like streamers.

The other reason is that ESPN is trying desperately to pander to the younger people they are losing, so they have really gotten involved in bullshit thinkpieces and items unrelated to actual sports, and that's driving off their older fanbase.

I used to watch Sportscenter all the time. It's unwatchable garbage now with the terrible talent, the bad storylines, and the fact they refuse to cover teams and instead favor historical nonsense or thinkpieces. I mean the top article right now on ESPN's website is a piece on the 2016 Villanova shot over UNC. Why? We're in the middle of the final four and you're wasting time talking about a shot from a year ago? Or the Gonzaga coach's legacy? Or refs getting death threats from UK fans? WTF?

Compare to a site like CBS Sports (a much better sports site imo) that's looking at NFL Mock Drafts, 2018 QBs, Fantasy sleepers in baseball, Vegas odds on the NCAA, the Raiders moving, etc.

That's sports. Sports people love gambling, fantasy, and current shit in the NFL that projects to the season coming. They aren't looking for fluff about semi-political hot take machines.

Maybe we don't use the word thinkpieces the same, but certainly haven't seen much out of ESPN that makes me think. It's sensational nonsense almost all the time. The actual longform thinkpieces are published on things like The Undefeated, which get almost no play time on ESPN. Their website is an atrocity, the cable channel is mostly unwatchable.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #17 on: March 30, 2017, 06:51:55 AM

Maybe we don't use the word thinkpieces the same, but certainly haven't seen much out of ESPN that makes me think. It's sensational nonsense almost all the time. The actual longform thinkpieces are published on things like The Undefeated, which get almost no play time on ESPN. Their website is an atrocity, the cable channel is mostly unwatchable.

I use thinkpieces meaning the intent was to make you think, but they fail hard at that. Trying to read their retrospective of the UNC/Nova 2016 game is awful.

Deadspin went the same way as ESPN and went from funny/agressive/sports stuff to a full on sensational nonsense political site with some sports on the side.

I honestly don't understand WTF happened to these places, or who let these idiot writers/anchors/producers take over. It will bury them all catering to a small subset of sports fans. The vast majority of sports people I follow want nothing to do with politics and will go out of their way to remove/block/unfollow any writer or analyst who can't remember that they aren't a CNN opinion writer and they are supposed to be covering a sports league.

Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: March 30, 2017, 08:13:47 AM

I use thinkpieces meaning the intent was to make you think, but they fail hard at that. Trying to read their retrospective of the UNC/Nova 2016 game is awful.

Deadspin went the same way as ESPN and went from funny/agressive/sports stuff to a full on sensational nonsense political site with some sports on the side.

I honestly don't understand WTF happened to these places, or who let these idiot writers/anchors/producers take over. It will bury them all catering to a small subset of sports fans. The vast majority of sports people I follow want nothing to do with politics and will go out of their way to remove/block/unfollow any writer or analyst who can't remember that they aren't a CNN opinion writer and they are supposed to be covering a sports league.

They are just following the guide laid out by for-profit news - editorials and opinion pieces get clicks. Click here to ask me how.  why so serious?

I loved ESPN in college (mid-90s). Sportcenter on repeat all morning made it easy to catch 15minutes here and there. Then the talking head shows started and I tuned out.

Come to think of it, I loved Mtv in the 80s until they started attempting to be a tv channel by slowly removing the M.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: March 31, 2017, 03:10:52 AM

At least that gave us Celebrity Death Match!  why so serious?

Hic sunt dracones.
DevilsAdvocate25
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: April 03, 2017, 05:01:42 PM

He's a fringe guy that has to play in a certain system, so that already limits who would want him. Couple that with the baggage and there are better options out there that require little distraction.

But I think it's more of the first part than the second part. The second part of his politics is just the final straw.

In his 6th year in the league, after coming back from surgery on his non-throwing shoulder that ended his previous season, he had the following stats in 12 games played:

Passing Yds 2,241 (3rd highest of his career)
Passing TDs 16 (3rd highest of his career)
Ints 4 (2nd lowest of his career)
QB RTG 90.7 (3rd highest of his career)

In the two seasons where he exceeded these numbers, he played in 4 more games.

It's not his stats or gameplay that are keeping him from getting a contract.

I wonder if he saw this coming ...
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #21 on: April 03, 2017, 07:12:38 PM

Yeah, I didn't realize how good his numbers were last year, probably because he was on a shit team with a Mr. Potatohead as a coach. On a team with actual talent and/or coaching, he might be pretty good.

But yeah, it's pretty clear no one is going to touch him because of his politics.

WayAbvPar

Reply #22 on: April 03, 2017, 09:49:03 PM

I love how violent shitstains like Ray Lewis and Greg Hardy could find continued employment, but god forbid someone do something LEGAL that offends all the white old conservative fuckheads that run teams in the NFL.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: April 03, 2017, 10:11:35 PM

Yeah, I kind of dislike how I feel compelled to side with Kap (as a Seattle fan) and even hope he finds a job.  Dude was already in a rough spot, and then had the guts to make a stand on something he must have known would make his life even more difficult.  I respect that, whatever his real motives.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: April 04, 2017, 05:04:20 AM

Quote from: Paelos
The vast majority of sports people I follow want nothing to do with politics and will go out of their way to remove/block/unfollow any writer or analyst who...

I have no problem if people cover sports and politics together in principle. Politics doesn't magically disappear in stadiums and arenas, as much as some people wish it did. You especially can't say it does when the NFL builds nationalism into the pregame show. What i have problem with is shitty political opinions from uninformed idiots who think they know what they are talking about b cause they are a celebrity and with stupid sensationalism. Kaepernick isn't the problem.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #25 on: April 04, 2017, 07:13:20 AM

In his 6th year in the league, after coming back from surgery on his non-throwing shoulder that ended his previous season, he had the following stats in 12 games played:

Passing Yds 2,241 (3rd highest of his career)
Passing TDs 16 (3rd highest of his career)
Ints 4 (2nd lowest of his career)
QB RTG 90.7 (3rd highest of his career)

In the two seasons where he exceeded these numbers, he played in 4 more games.

It's not his stats or gameplay that are keeping him from getting a contract.

I wonder if he saw this coming ...

Which sounds good on paper until you remember one facet, his Y/A averages was 24th in the league, and behind guys like Tyrod Taylor and Case Keenum. Even more than that, his yards per game was 30th in the league. His completion percentage was 26th, and he's in an offense where once he goes further than 10 yards down the field, his completion percentage drops into the 30s.

The problem with Kaep is he's got zero down the field threat, and he's not accurate. Period. Numbers aside, anybody with eyeballs can tell you this by watching him play. It ABSOLUTELY is his gameplay that's keeping him on the sidelines, because if he was really a top 20 QB, the NFL has enough desperate teams looking for even half-decent mouthbreather QBs to snap him up.

Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: April 04, 2017, 07:14:53 AM

So Romo retiring into broadcasting.  ACK!

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: April 04, 2017, 07:16:45 AM

I was surprised, and then realised he's 37. Good for him. Get paid to sit in a booth and talk about football? Instead of getting the shit beaten out of your body every Sunday? Good for you sir.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #28 on: April 04, 2017, 07:20:16 AM

Quote from: Paelos
The vast majority of sports people I follow want nothing to do with politics and will go out of their way to remove/block/unfollow any writer or analyst who...

I have no problem if people cover sports and politics together in principle. Politics doesn't magically disappear in stadiums and arenas, as much as some people wish it did. You especially can't say it does when the NFL builds nationalism into the pregame show. What i have problem with is shitty political opinions from uninformed idiots who think they know what they are talking about b cause they are a celebrity and with stupid sensationalism. Kaepernick isn't the problem.

Kaep is a problem only that his opinions come off as uninformed as well. But he's the smaller of the issues, and frankly he has every right just like others to spout uninformed or biased political opinion.

I agree with the sensationalism of the issue by the media being the bigger issue. What I don't like more than anything is that Sports Writers who are hired to specifically cover a league start to play board warrior on twitter and then act like they are doing some great selfless deed.

There's nothing to stop those same writers from creating their own personal accounts and spouting their opinions there, but they know they won't get as much reach doing that, so they force it down the throats of their followers until people like myself grudgingly unfollow. And I'm not talking about one-off stories, I'm talking about making everything in sports a political issue.

Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: April 04, 2017, 08:03:12 AM

I was surprised, and then realised he's 37. Good for him. Get paid to sit in a booth and talk about football? Instead of getting the shit beaten out of your body every Sunday? Good for you sir.

Seriously. Good choice IMHO. I'm sure he'd love a shot at starting again, but a nice booth seat to sit and talk and get $$$? hell yeah, especially with his third kid due up soon. Now I am just hoping he's better than Simms... which is a low bar to start out with.

WayAbvPar

Reply #30 on: April 04, 2017, 08:22:55 AM

Romo is going to be very good in the booth or on set. It may take him some adjustment, but he has the charisma to pull it off. One of the few Cowboys I have liked =P

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #31 on: April 04, 2017, 08:40:44 AM

Romo will be a good broadcaster. He's very likable - for someone to have been on the Cowboys that long and me not hate them, he's got to be charming and personable.

His retirement is going to fuck the shit out of the Texans, though. I'm pretty sure they traded Brock Lobster with the sole thought that they'd win the Romo sweepstakes. Now they have to figure out someway to make a combination of Tom Savage, BRANDON WEEDON and a draft pick work on an offense that hasn't seen a good QB since Matt Schaub. I'm sure they thought they were getting the next Peyton Manning. At least Denver didn't trade away the guy who was at least a competent starter.

Of course, Houston could always sign Cutler.   why so serious?

Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: April 04, 2017, 09:50:44 AM

Well, Cutler is at least serviceable and has a huge arm.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #33 on: April 04, 2017, 10:18:33 AM

I guess. I mean if you are going to look at Cutler, you might as well give Kap a try. He's younger and more mobile.

But yeah, Kap would NEVER get a shot in Houston.

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: April 04, 2017, 12:13:47 PM

Yup. Romo threw in the towel.

It was intercepted.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2017  
Jump to: