Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:33:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: calapine's thread for doings the Polandball 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: calapine's thread for doings the Polandball  (Read 137605 times)
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #210 on: June 07, 2020, 12:36:13 PM

I think this is my favorite thread. Thanks, Calapine!

Thank you!!!

Leago of nations. Don't cry when you see panel 8!

« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 12:39:36 PM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #211 on: June 07, 2020, 12:52:03 PM

DAAAAAMMMMMMMNNNN YOOOOOUUUUUUU!!!  Cry

Hic sunt dracones.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #212 on: June 21, 2020, 03:21:06 AM

why so serious? why so serious?

Edit: And don't you "but muh craft beer! " me.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 03:23:54 AM by calapine »

calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #213 on: June 21, 2020, 04:38:21 AM

One more!

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #214 on: June 21, 2020, 05:06:26 AM

Best polandball ever right there.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #215 on: June 21, 2020, 06:53:57 AM

This is especially funny because German beer is garbage compared to Czech beer.   why so serious?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #216 on: June 21, 2020, 08:09:39 AM

*Poland Ball Comic*

The US has a significantly better beer scene than Germany now.  Every time I go back I'm actually pretty sad about the quality of beer there, I think it's been getting worst over the last decade.  They've let a few major companies just dominate and serve only the same few mass produced options, and they haven't upped their game at all.  The US is kicking the shit out of Germany for beer right now (and has been for awhile).

tongue

Edit:  And yeah, I think the Czechs have done a better job maintaining their quality and even innovating a bit over the last decade.  Beer in general does seem better down their now when I visit.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 08:11:33 AM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #217 on: June 21, 2020, 08:37:47 AM

*Poland Ball Comic*

The US has a significantly better beer scene than Germany now.  Every time I go back I'm actually pretty sad about the quality of beer there, I think it's been getting worst over the last decade.  They've let a few major companies just dominate and serve only the same few mass produced options, and they haven't upped their game at all.  The US is kicking the shit out of Germany for beer right now (and has been for awhile).
tongue

That's why I said dont @ me with craft beer. Grin It's a cheap joke, not a nuanced critique.

I do like Dead Pony, and that's as far as my craft-beer knowledge goes. More a Most (=cider) person.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #218 on: June 21, 2020, 08:39:40 AM

I remember being really impressed by German beer when I went to Europe for the first time right after college, and then a few years ago when I returned to Germany after more than a decade I was disappointed to find that my fond memories were mostly the result of an unsophisticated palate.  It's fine as far as mass market beer goes, but that's very faint praise.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #219 on: June 21, 2020, 10:53:56 AM

The minihorse slayed me.

As for craft beer, yeah, I think America is doing a pretty good job of it, except for all the assholes making IPAs whose only focus is "HOW MUCH MORE BITTER AND HOPPY CAN WE MAKE THIS, BROSEF?!!!"

Fuck your hops. Give me a good stout any goddamn day.

Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #220 on: June 21, 2020, 01:57:15 PM

Everyones beer tends to be the worst in their home country, just like everyones wine tends to be the worst in their home country.

No one exports the cheap shit. They're not selling 3 buck chuck in france
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #221 on: June 21, 2020, 04:09:50 PM

Everyones beer tends to be the worst in their home country, just like everyones wine tends to be the worst in their home country.

No one exports the cheap shit. They're not selling 3 buck chuck in france

I don't think this actually works the same way for beer.  Most of my favorite beers (both at home and some of those I've discovered abroad) don't get exported because they aren't produced in large enough quantities for that to make sense.  None of my favorite local breweries are even able to ship their beer out of the state, much less the country.  In the other direction, I'm sure I could technically get a case of Isle of Skye Black Ale airmailed to me if I went through the right channels but the shipping would add at least a 1000% markup, so for practical purposes stuff like that is inaccessible unless I go back to the place of origin.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 04:14:20 PM by Samwise »

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #222 on: June 22, 2020, 08:02:41 AM

I actually signed up to (and am enjoying enough not to have cancelled) a craft beer subscription thing precisely because they are buying up craft beers from random countries that I think I'd only ever see in a few niche shops and even then probably not. The US beer 'revolution' has done a lot to produce some really interesting and enjoyable beers, even the fruit stuff has been interesting as more than just weirdly sweet Belgian cherry beer. Apart from the stupid IPA obsession I'm a fan of American craft beers, even if I still the UK has one of the better domestic beer scenes, probably because it's a style of beer I like and many of the breweries here have been flexible enough to improve or innovate their product lines.

I think Germany does have pretty good quality lager and some good Hefeweizens but, if you're not into crisp, clean lagers, I don't think it's got that much more to offer. Admittedly in summer that's probably enough

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #223 on: June 22, 2020, 12:07:15 PM

Local store used to have an excellent variety of all kinds. Reds, ambers, stouts, honey ales. Twas lovely. Now it's a wall of easily 75% IPAs that are all different variations of juniper flavored moose piss. Fucking hipsters with their shitass taste.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #224 on: June 22, 2020, 06:51:50 PM

Local store used to have an excellent variety of all kinds. Reds, ambers, stouts, honey ales. Twas lovely. Now it's a wall of easily 75% IPAs that are all different variations of juniper flavored moose piss. Fucking hipsters with their shitass taste.

Find a better local store?   DRILLING AND MANLINESS  My favorite taproom/bottle shop does a really good job of having a well-curated selection of dark beers (which is the reason it's my favorite bottle shop).  Lots of it is stuff that sounds very suspect (flavored/smoked/aged in unusual ways) but it's generally pleasantly surprising.  On the other hand, some people are hopheads and won't ever offer anything but west coast IPAs.  You gotta know where to look.

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #225 on: June 23, 2020, 02:21:59 AM

What kind of surprised me last time I was in Buenos Aires was how massively the craft beer scene there has grown and how much it really feels like some cargo-culted version of the US craft scene. Or at least it's very clearly a whole lot of people who, imo, enjoyed the hipster scene and the general culture of craft beer without really being particularly talented or interesting brewers but I think the low overheads for running the taprooms and popularity (along with a couple of newer Argentinean breweries doing stuff other than just mass produced lagers) caused a massive boom.

There are a few styles down there (like scotch ales) that I haven't really seen anywhere else but that might just be a labelling thing. Honey ales are also way more popular but it looked like nearly all breweries had a portfolio of IPA, golden ale, honey ale, scotch ale and maybe a stout. Those tended to be all similar - with 90% of the IPAs being hoppy undrinkable stuff, scotch ales being super malt heavy, honey ale being a bit cloyingly sweet and the golden ales usually being drinkable (personal taste bias might be affecting that).

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #226 on: June 23, 2020, 12:05:14 PM

I guess I could always pit my mortgage against my future and open up a store with a decent selection. That'd probably work out for me.

calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #227 on: August 03, 2020, 07:24:36 AM

Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #228 on: August 04, 2020, 06:24:34 AM

I laughed WAY too hard at that one...
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #229 on: August 07, 2020, 04:54:39 AM

« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 05:01:16 AM by calapine »

calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #230 on: September 14, 2020, 05:01:24 AM

Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #231 on: September 14, 2020, 05:02:17 AM

I laughed way too hard at that. I am a bad person.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #232 on: November 23, 2020, 07:46:51 AM

calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #233 on: January 21, 2021, 05:50:02 PM

New Zealand just watching the show with popcorn is 😁
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 05:55:47 PM by calapine »

calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #234 on: March 10, 2021, 09:58:31 PM

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #235 on: March 10, 2021, 11:03:37 PM

No reason to blame the US -- Japan likes to anthropomorphize military technology all on their own. See: KanColle and Upotte!!. And Girls Und Panzer, while it doesn't anthropomorphize tanks, is decidedly an homage to them (mostly of the World War II variety).
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 11:05:46 PM by Trippy »
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #236 on: March 11, 2021, 02:11:47 AM

I think that's a classic 'Hiroshima cause anime' type joke.

calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #237 on: March 11, 2021, 07:32:12 AM

I think that's a classic 'Hiroshima cause anime' type joke.

Eggsactly.

The original:

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #238 on: March 11, 2021, 09:27:05 AM

Gotcha, didn’t realize that was a thing.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #239 on: March 16, 2021, 11:06:04 PM

My usual comment when living in Japan and our group stumbled into something really weird was to wonder if this was our fault, or if we didn't drop enough nukes.   why so serious?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #240 on: April 25, 2021, 01:54:37 AM

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #241 on: April 25, 2021, 02:08:56 PM

Um...

Hic sunt dracones.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #242 on: June 12, 2021, 06:08:51 AM

The polandball map of the world (2014)

If you zoom in there is hilarious stuff all over the map.

Hic sunt dracones.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #243 on: March 27, 2022, 08:04:31 PM

Nearly a year since the last post on this thread? A crime.

Hic sunt dracones.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #244 on: March 28, 2022, 12:05:45 PM

Gimme tank back, lol

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: calapine's thread for doings the Polandball  
Jump to: