Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:49:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL Playoffs 2017 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: NFL Playoffs 2017  (Read 67613 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #105 on: February 05, 2017, 08:14:40 PM

Called this in the first quarter when my wife said Atlanta was running all over them.  I recall the last few times we thought the Pats were dead then Brady sacrificed another puppy at halftime and for the 4th quarter comeback.
I wasn't sure he had it in him this time, from so deep in the hole. But I also figured Atlanta would score twice in the second half, and they almost did.

First season the fiancee watched football with me, and she's a Pats fan (from watching a game when we were in NE a couple years ago). So she was super emotional, and I'm happy her first season as a fan had a good ending. On the other hand, she's totally spoiled now.
WayAbvPar

Reply #106 on: February 05, 2017, 09:13:51 PM

God is dead.

Yeah if any of you are still clinging to the concept of a loving and omnipotent sky friend, I refer you to the past 3 or 4 months.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: February 06, 2017, 07:11:05 AM

I'm a Pats fan but the Falcons lost that game because of horrendous clock management.

As Mike Lombardi says on Simmons podcast, in the 4th quarter the Falcons opponent wasn't the Patriots, it was the clock. Simmons makes the comment that at one point the Falcons snap the ball with 22 SECONDS ON THE PLAY CLOCK.

Freeman had 71 rushing yards in the 1st half, he finished the game with 74.

At 2:06 left in the third quarter, with the Falcons leading 28 - 9, they would only call FOUR running plays. FOUR.

At 3:56 of the 4th quarter, on the NE 23 yard line, 2nd and 11 (and up by 8 points) instead of calling an inside run, Matt Ryan drops back to pass and is sacked for a loss of 12 yards. This is the play that lost the superbowl for the Falcons. Quinn/Shanahan had their Mike Martz/Pete Carroll on the goal line moment. You fucking morons. But thanks!

Oh and the Matt Ryan strip sack came on a 3rd and 1, so instead of a run, or a quick pass or a QB sneak they called a traditional 7 step drop. MOOOOROOOONNNS. Enjoy Shanahan 49ers fans.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 07:19:24 AM by Shannow »

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #108 on: February 06, 2017, 07:58:56 AM

Yeah, I thought it odd they just stopped running the ball, but being that I'm no football fan and never even played more than a touch game I just shrugged it off. I didn't realize they kept snapping with so much time on the play clock, though. Wow.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #109 on: February 06, 2017, 08:21:40 AM

Oh the Falcons definitely blew that game, in multiple ways. Mostly by just shitting the bed on offense in the second half. It was like they didn't adjust to anything the Pats defense was doing after halftime, when Belicheck most certainly changed what the Pats were doing. That 3rd and 1 was particularly stupid - there was no reason to go 4 wide on that play, not really much reason to pass the ball at all. Hell, go 4 wide and do a QB sneak. If you don't get it, you've at least run 30-60 more seconds off the clock and can punt the ball deep into the Pats side of the field. TBF to the Falcons, they did try running a little bit in the 2nd half and mostly got stuffed. However, it looks like that just made them give up on it completely.

That meant that they kept giving Brady the ball back after 3 and outs, and their defense just got gassed by the end.

EDIT: Also, it appears the Pats receivers remembered how to catch passes in the 2nd half. They had a TON of drops in the first half that caused their offense to sputter.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #110 on: February 06, 2017, 10:18:04 AM

Lots of disappointment this morning... not so much because the Falcons lost, but because the reality of Brady being that good in that system just vaulted him into legendary status above the others. People here in Pittsburgh are having a hard time with that... at least the ones who hate the Pats.

I really didn't care who won... slight edge to the Falcons since they've never won one, but either result was ok in my book. What we really got was a pretty great Super Bowl game and I appreciate that.

and this is the first time in a really long time that I haven't heard a word about the commercials from anyone around the office or, frankly, anywhere. Outside of YouTube's silly shit and a thread on reddit, no one seemed to care or even pay attention to them outside of the Budweiser immigration one...

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: February 06, 2017, 10:57:06 AM

The ads were awful. I can't believe this is the best America's ad agencies can come up with.

The other crazy stat from the game, Pats ran 93 plays, ATL 46, biggest gap in NFL history (or at least playoffs). A bunch of other stupid stats to go along with that. No fucking wonder their defense was gassed at the end.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #112 on: February 06, 2017, 11:06:22 AM

Yeah, the time of possession was also really one-sided.  I think the Pats got 17 more minutes than the Falcons.  Granted, some of that was Overtime, but not that much.  That makes the teams' respective defensive performance at the end of the game make a lot of sense.  The Pats also had 37 first downs versus the Falcons' 17.  Looking at just the stats you'd never know the game was as close as it was.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #113 on: February 06, 2017, 12:40:21 PM

If you think about it, it was really 2 halves of 2 different blowout games that happened to involve the same teams mashed together.

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: February 07, 2017, 11:20:57 AM

The ads were awful. I can't believe this is the best America's ad agencies can come up with.

The other crazy stat from the game, Pats ran 93 plays, ATL 46, biggest gap in NFL history (or at least playoffs). A bunch of other stupid stats to go along with that. No fucking wonder their defense was gassed at the end.

This was the first time people in Canada were allowed to watch the US Super Bowl commercials during the actual game.  In the past (and possibly again in the future) we had to watch the same shitty ass Canadian commercials we see everyday, even on US channels.  I want to see what a $5 million commercial looks like during the game instead of another Tim Horton's or Canadian Tire one.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/super-bowl-ratings-canada-1.3969788
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: February 07, 2017, 12:11:56 PM

But Canadian Tire is so much more than just tires!

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #116 on: February 07, 2017, 12:55:20 PM

I watched a Canadian stream online a couple years ago and I seem to recall seeing a lot of adds for Canadian potatoes.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #117 on: February 09, 2017, 06:10:01 AM

I warned yall the Falcons defense was shit. Been saying that all year, the only difference is they usually score 30+ to make up for it, and the two other teams they played in the playoffs were laughably one-dimensional. They lost to fucking Philly for heavens sake.

Anyway, they shit the bed because Atlanta can't have nice things, and I covered my bet so I laughed all the way to the bank. Better luck next year you no-need-stadium-building-asses.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #118 on: February 09, 2017, 07:05:56 AM

IDK, man. As Shannow pointed out the Patriots offense had almost 2x as many plays as Atlanta's. That's going to wear-out a defense. The Offense did a shitty job of clock management and play management. The team fell apart in the 2nd half while the Patriots did their usual, "Lets see what they've got and determine how many points we need in the 2nd half" strategy. 

vOv

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: February 09, 2017, 07:47:16 AM

Yeah, they got gassed. The D line was pretty brutal for 3/4 of the game, and the secondary had Brady making poor decisions the entire first half. I'd put more of it on the coaching staff.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: February 09, 2017, 07:53:51 AM

Atlanta fired their defensive coordinator. Yeahhhhhh cause it was his fault. Keeping the Pats to 3 points in a half and 9 in 3 quarters with a bunch of rookies was fucking good. It was NOT the D's fault they gave up 19 points in the 4Q, anyone's defense would've. What's truly ironic about that is Quinn was Seattle's defensive coordinator in '14 when they gave up 28 points to the Pats in SB 49. That team is doomed.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #121 on: February 09, 2017, 08:29:14 AM

The Falcons defense was shit (though not as shit as last year - they actually had a pass rush this year). However, while they did SOME good things in the first half, Brady's receivers dropped a FUCKTON of balls during that span. That was a huge difference between halves - in the second half, the Pats weren't dropping the balls they were in the first half. The game probably wouldn't have been close if just 3 or 4 passes in the first half weren't dropped. Brady clearly wasn't himself in the first half either, as some of those balls were thrown off target as well as being dropped. The pick 6 in the first half was just a really good play.

Take away the pick 6 and Atlanta only scored 21 points on offense, meaning the Pats defense actually did what you'd want them to - it limited Atlanta to a lower than average performance overall.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #122 on: February 09, 2017, 08:37:59 AM

Atlanta's defense was giving up 25.4 a game in the regular season. That was 27th in the league. If they'd won, they would have been the team that gave up the most points in the regular season to win a Super Bowl since 2000, and probably of all time.

It caught up with them. Yes, they went hurry up and fucked up the clock. They'd done that all year and it worked for them. That's why they didn't think about slowing down and changing tempo late, because they'd been used to giving up garbage time TDs and making one play that would win them the game. It happened with the Saints, Panthers, and Broncos in the regular season. All games they had rather sizable leads and let teams get within one score in the 4th quarter before pulling away.

The joke around here was that no lead was TRULY safe and that the Falcons always made it interesting. They just got burned because the defense has never been able to hold up for the 60 minute distance all year and this time the offense didn't make the 1-2 plays to seal it. But I don't necessarily blame the offense or the clock management for that either. You can't as a defense get a 4th down stop in the 3rd quarter? You can't get a 3rd and 8 stop on a Tom Brady scramble? You can't slow down a team enough that starting from their own 9 yard line they gas you for a TD in 2 minutes? That's shitty defense. That's no depth. That's not being able to go a full 60 minutes, and while I realize the offense stalled you literally just had to make one stop anywhere in the last 20 minutes of the game and it's over. Anywhere. Or in OT.

The second the Pats started catching passes (something they didn't do in the first half) the defense magically got worse. It was bad in the first half, but the Pats just didn't execute. That game shouldn't have been close except the Pats kept fucking up the entire first half with bad passes and that pick 6. If they score the other way instead of that 14 point swing? I think the Falcons get blown the fuck out in the second half and lose by 14+.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: February 09, 2017, 09:17:58 AM

Not making excuses for those two big dropped balls in the first half. I was pretty sure those and the pick six sealed the fate of the Pats. I do blame the offense, because in my breakdown of how the Pats were not going to be able to dig out of a hole, even with their offense getting their shit together, it was predicated on the Falcons scoring a couple TDs (or at the very least stringing together a bunch of FGs) in the second half. I think it was a combo of the Pats D not being on the field much in the second half and the offense straight-up got outcoached by the Patricia half-time adjustments (which is a Patriots trademark, really; I'm not unconvinced they all go fellate leprechauns at halftime).

But I stand by my feelings about the D. They were pressuring Brady and one of those drops was contested anyway. And the big Edelman catch was a total fluke because the D was all over him at the time. They played a hell of a game but I'm not sure any defense can spend that much time on the field against a good offense and not eventually gas out and crumble.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #124 on: February 09, 2017, 09:20:44 AM

Shanahan just abandoning the run in the second half completely as well as going no huddle and not milking the clock at the line contributed greatly to the Atlanta defense being totally gassed.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #125 on: February 09, 2017, 10:10:25 AM

Shanahan just abandoning the run in the second half completely as well as going no huddle and not milking the clock at the line contributed greatly to the Atlanta defense being totally gassed.

He didn't abandon the run though. First series in the second half they ran on 1st down and lost 3 yards. At 2nd and 13, I think you're an idiot if you run there ball there. Passed twice, didn't convert, went 1 out of 3 running plays.

Second series they run the ball 4 out of 9 plays and get a TD. This makes it 28-3.

Third series onside kick. Atlanta throws for 9 yards has a second and 1. Runs the ball and gets a fucking holding call. Now it's 2nd and 11. Again, running the ball at that point is insane. What should really be highlighted is that holding call knocked them out of teh FG range and that's all on Jake Matthews being a complete idiot. They can't convert and have to punt. If they just don't commit a moron penalty they are likely kicking a FG in the 3rd quarter that ices the game. 1 of 4 plays was running.

Fourth series it's two runnning plays in a row that puts them 3rd and 1. They just got stuffed on 2nd and 2. Matt drops back and Devonta does the worst whiff on a pass rusher I've ever seen in a pro game. Sack fumble. 2 of 3 plays running.

Fifth series, now you're 6 minutes left and you need to burn some clock. But you have to get first downs to do that. They do a 39 yard screen, and a deep shot to Julio for 22 yards. The game is now over if you run 3 times. They run once for a loss of -1. This is absolutely where Shanahan lost his fucking mind and decided to start passing thinking they needed the first down. On 2nd and 11 normally yes you pass, but in this scenario you didn't need the first down. The clock was low enough you could take a knee and just kick the FG and win the game. But they pass instead, take a sack, and then the killer was the holding penalty again from Jake Matthews on a 7 yard screen pass that would have put them BACK in FG range. They ran 2 plays in 7 of that drive.

10 running, 16 passing. In today's league I don't think it's THAT far out of whack, except for the last series where you just didn't need to do anything but run.

Also I can make a strong case that Jake Matthew's dumb ass lost the game with penalties.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: February 09, 2017, 01:08:00 PM

Just going on the record in case I haven't, I fucking hate onside kicks. Such a low percentage play that some teams seem to go for way too early in the game.

Outside of situations like this game, I also dislike 2pt conversions in the 1st 3 quarters. Also going for it on 4th down unless your offense is rolling and it's only inches (or 4th quarter comeback drives, same as 2pt conversions).

And yeah: getting knocked out of FG range at the end was the real killer there.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: February 09, 2017, 04:00:30 PM

Outside of situations like this game, I also dislike 2pt conversions in the 1st 3 quarters. Also going for it on 4th down unless your offense is rolling and it's only inches (or 4th quarter comeback drives, same as 2pt conversions).

You'd be wrong on the 4th down thing. The Patriots have been one of the most aggressive teams on 4th down for years and it has worked out well for them. The real issue is field position. If you are in the other teams half the question becomes is it worth punting for 10-20 yards of field position or settling for a field goal. Or when you are down 3 TDs teams settling for FG's (Why the fuck NOT go for it). I'll take a guess that the better teams in the league are the ones more aggressive on 4th down.

Onside kicks are low percentage but the New Orleans Saints of '09 and Alabama of '15-'16 would disagree with you..:D

WayAbvPar

Reply #128 on: February 09, 2017, 04:21:34 PM

The math is pretty clear that almost all coaches are FAR too conservative on 4th down.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: February 09, 2017, 05:18:24 PM

Paelos , good breakdowns on the drives which does give a better view of things. The failure to run on the 3rd and 1 and the ones when they were in field goal range are pretty inexcusable. As I said before the enemy there wasn't the score or the Pats, it was the clock.

Also on their defense, they created two turnovers and score 7 points.

I think the wierd thing is that this game went exactly as many thought it would except that the scoring all came in funny bunches, 2q for ATL and 4q for NE.

WayAbvPar

Reply #130 on: February 09, 2017, 05:48:02 PM

Good point. We assumed it would be high scoring and reasonably close, it just that they took turns scoring most of their points.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL Playoffs 2017  
Jump to: