Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:34:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Alien: Covenant 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Alien: Covenant  (Read 24108 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #70 on: August 07, 2017, 03:31:13 PM

I feel like if Ridley Scott had thought he was creating a universe, they would have been.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #71 on: August 07, 2017, 03:54:39 PM

I feel like if Ridley Scott had thought he was creating a universe, they would have been.

He didn't create a universe, he created an anthology series where 4 different directors did their take on Ripley vs. Xenomorph and each of those takes is in a completely different subgenre from the rest. Now he's just making fanfic level backstory that should have been relegated to a chapter of some Alien art book or something. Instead Scott thinks he's making the Silmarillion of the Alien franchise or something because he thinks paying lip service to the ideas of gods and creation is somehow the same as actually having something to say about the subject.
schild
Administrator

Reply #72 on: August 07, 2017, 07:11:39 PM

He didn't create a universe, he created an anthology series where 4 different directors did their take on Ripley vs. Xenomorph and each of those takes is in a completely different subgenre from the rest. Now he's just making fanfic level backstory that should have been relegated to a chapter of some Alien art book or something. Instead Scott thinks he's making the Silmarillion of the Alien franchise or something because he thinks paying lip service to the ideas of gods and creation is somehow the same as actually having something to say about the subject.
When I say this about Star Wars, people split a fucking lip.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: August 07, 2017, 11:27:26 PM

Doesn't mean you're wrong.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #74 on: August 08, 2017, 03:05:10 AM

When I say this about Star Wars, people split a fucking lip.

I have a lot of the same issues with Rogue One that I have with Alien: Covenant.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #75 on: August 27, 2017, 01:49:05 AM

Rented this last night, knowing very little except "it's related to Prometheus" thinking "oops, I forgot to see that new Alien movie; at last some proper sci-fi to watch!"

I've enjoyed every previous Alien movie. I should confirm that I like Alien 3, Alien:Resurrection, and Promethius.

Alien: Covenant was fucking awful. A story that detracted from all the others, made bad use of aliens, and was stupidly predictable at every turn. Not even worth a rental. I wish I'd waited until it turned up on an SVOD service, and even if it does I'd recommend re-watching The Expanse instead.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: September 02, 2017, 04:36:37 PM

Yeah this isn't a good movie.
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: September 03, 2017, 04:02:45 AM

I saw it recently too, borrowed it from someone whose friendship I am now doubting.

It was fucking awful, and I was watching it with very low expectations to start with.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: September 30, 2017, 01:44:02 AM

Had to switch if off, was that bad.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #79 on: October 02, 2017, 02:18:37 PM

I'm pretty sure Ridley Scott peaked with Blade Runner. I have a pet theory on this, but I'm pretty sure that I'm right.

As far as Covenant: lol. Literally burst out laughing during the slip-on-blood scene. Worst part is, one can't even blame the actors. I liked McBride, his character was the only one who actually did something that related to his character's skill set. The rest were just given nothing to work with. It was like someone read the wiki synopsis of Alien, and decided to make a movie based on the synopsis.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #80 on: October 03, 2017, 03:46:18 PM

I thought it opened well but basically everything from after the lander got blown up was dogshit and then kept getting worse and worse and cornier and cornier and stupider and stupider.

I mean sure he peaked with Blade Runner but that's like one of the best movies ever so idk. He did make good movies after that though most of his stuff is def watchable all the way to like Body of Lies. After that... Counselor was an bizzare thing that I guess sort of kept me watching? Then his brother... and I mean I think now he's phoning it in completely. There's no excuse for whatever the fuck Covenant was.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #81 on: October 03, 2017, 05:02:46 PM

The movie he directed before Alien: Covenant was The Martian.
BobtheSomething
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: October 03, 2017, 07:23:11 PM

I suspect the quality of his movies depends a lot on who he has working for him.

"Johnny, how can I add some tension to the final scene?"
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: October 04, 2017, 01:23:17 AM

I will hear nothing against The Martian.  It was awesome.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: October 04, 2017, 05:53:56 AM

I thought it opened well but basically everything from after the lander got blown up was dogshit and then kept getting worse and worse and cornier and cornier and stupider and stupider.

That's actually where I switched it off, sounds like the right decision. Thought it opened well aswell, everything after landing on the planet for me was ridiculous. Also the gore seemed unnecessary.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: October 05, 2017, 06:00:28 AM

I agree, the Martian was great, but his other output this century has been awful. Prometheus and Robin Hood especially are movies that are literally painful to watch. I haven't watched Covenant but suspect it will be more of the same.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: October 05, 2017, 06:08:26 AM

I will hear nothing positive about Prometheus.  It was Awful.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #87 on: October 05, 2017, 06:24:15 AM

The visuals in Prometheus were fantastic.  BWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #88 on: October 05, 2017, 10:10:03 AM

I agree, the Martian was great, but his other output this century has been awful. Prometheus and Robin Hood especially are movies that are literally painful to watch. I haven't watched Covenant but suspect it will be more of the same.
This century includes Black Hawk Down.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #89 on: October 05, 2017, 10:57:28 AM

And Gladiator.

This thread prompted me to download the movie and sort of fast forward skip watch it.  Yes, the opening was actually quite fine.  It got really fucking stupid really fast.  Like, laziest cliche "It's hard to setup scenes, we're just going to write it that everybody acts conveniently stupid" writing ever.  And the twist at the end was really badly done.  Just, what the fuck is the point of these movies!?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: October 05, 2017, 01:37:17 PM

Endless, endless gazing at Michael Fassbender.

And creating a deep philosophical... something.

Hic sunt dracones.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #91 on: October 05, 2017, 01:52:33 PM

I feel like somewhere out there in a parallel universe there is a version of Prometheus where he wears the big head from Frank through the whole film.  In fact, that's just what Fasbender does all of the time in this universe.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: October 05, 2017, 03:01:59 PM

I did not like that film at all.

Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #93 on: October 05, 2017, 09:10:08 PM

I suspect the quality of his movies depends a lot on who he has working for him.

This is basically my theory. With excellent actors (i.e. Theron, Pearce, Elba, Fassbender in Prometheus) he has a chance of getting a movie carried through. It wasn't enough to save Prometheus from being insulting, but it was enough to lull people into watching it. It is notable that no big actors other than Fassbender signed up for the movie (presumably Fassbander is going with the Jeremy Irons school of picking movies in this case). For example, same thing with Kingdom of Heaven - questionable writing made watchable by excellent actors (only Legolas is miscast) and good cinematography.

But if you take Fassbender out of the two latest movies, you essentially get some kind of b-grade effort like Pandorum. Not bad in theory, but not really worth all the fuss. In fact, things like Pandorum are immensely more watchable because at least they understand what they are as a movie, have the courage to do their own thing.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: October 05, 2017, 09:17:32 PM

And Gladiator.

I forgot about Gladiator. Add it to his "win" column this century for me. That's a great movie.

But if you take Fassbender out of the two latest movies, you essentially get some kind of b-grade effort like Pandorum. Not bad in theory, but not really worth all the fuss. In fact, things like Pandorum are immensely more watchable because at least they understand what they are as a movie, have the courage to do their own thing.

Total side note: Pandorum as a movie has entered my "Good-bad" movie list along with Event Horizon and other movies that I really enjoy despite not thinking they're great films.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #95 on: October 05, 2017, 09:30:02 PM

I did not like that film at all.

I like it when it starts. I like it when it's happening. I am not quite sure about it afterwards.

Alien: Covenant I didn't like at any point.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #96 on: October 05, 2017, 11:31:17 PM

I actually really like the Director's Cut of Kingdom of Heaven. It was the first movie I'd seen Eva Green in though so that helped a lot.
schild
Administrator

Reply #97 on: October 06, 2017, 06:18:30 AM

I actually really like the Director's Cut of Kingdom of Heaven. It was the first movie I'd seen Eva Green in though so that helped a lot.

Surely you've at least seen... clips of The Dreamers.

Surely.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Alien: Covenant  
Jump to: