Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:55:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Spider-Man: Homecoming 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Spider-Man: Homecoming  (Read 26538 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #35 on: July 06, 2017, 11:42:17 AM

TBF, the suit sounds like a lot of what they are doing with Peter Parker's suit in the comics now, I.E. Peter is now Tony Stark with a conscience and less caring about pussy and profit and more about helping people. So his company makes all these gadgets and all the gadgets are in the really cool suit. Sounds like they wanted to have their cake (Peter Parker in high school) and eat it too (Spider-Man has all this great gear despite it not being any of his idea).

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: July 06, 2017, 11:47:11 AM

Yeah, I addressed your point.   why so serious?  (Edit ;  that was for Velorath)

There is a LOT good about this movie, btw.  If anyone wants to know that, let me know.

Also, guess what I'm watching right now ?  The Spider Man stuff in Civil War.

Why did it all go so adrift ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: July 06, 2017, 11:47:56 AM

Hay guYs! !hat if the suit goes crazy in the next movie because Peter rejected it, turns black, and bonds with a body builder! Whats Arnie doing these days...  why so serious?

Hic sunt dracones.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: July 06, 2017, 11:50:41 AM

Jennifer Fucking Connolly.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: July 06, 2017, 11:56:38 AM

Also, he takes on Winter Solider, Falcon and Cap with no trouble, but Mike Keaton gives him bother.  Nope.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #40 on: July 06, 2017, 12:53:27 PM

Also, he takes on Winter Solider, Falcon and Cap with no trouble, but Mike Keaton gives him bother.  Nope.

It's a little different when the people you're fighting are fine with killing you.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: July 06, 2017, 01:05:51 PM

It sounds like the ending needs to pay off these complaints and I'm not clear if it does based upon the above.  I don't want to know, either, until I see it so this is the last time I visit this thread until I have seen it.

Based upon the trailer, I expect this to be a story of Spider-kid coming of age and saying, "No.  With great Power comes great responsibility.  Great responsibility means I have to be responsible for my own junk, not beholden to surrogate negligent father Stark or Happy Hogan.  I am Spider-man.  I have to choose.  I have to live up to this responsibility as I see fit.  I can't sit on the sidelines because Stark thinks I am not ready if I have the power to make a difference." 

I do not know if that is the end or not, but it was the end I expected this to build towards. 

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: July 06, 2017, 06:44:42 PM

I'd say Iron Man should have much more than a cameo.  Early Amazing Spider-Man comics from the '60s had Peter being routinely mentored by the Avengers and Human Torch because he was considered too young to actually join a group of superheroes/fight crime since he was still in high school.  Since they're going with high school Peter Parker, Tony Stark filling that mentor role in this version makes a lot of sense and it helps to bring him into the MCU so it should be a prominent part of the movie.  It can still definitely be overdone though.

That's really not true. The Human Torch and Spider-Man were routinely portrayed as being exactly the same age, and their friendship/rivalry was about that. Reed Richards called Spider-Man "son" in their first meeting, but he called everyone but Ben Grimm, Thor and Sue Richards "son" or "youngster". (He had different condescending words for Sue.)  The first time the Avengers met Spider-Man, it was not really Spider-Man, but some robot duplicates of him (don't ask) but the real Spider-Man showed up and saved their bacon, and I don't recall that any of them were particularly "you're too young for this, sonny jim". Generally the only people who treated Spidey as obviously young and maybe taking risks he shouldn't take were mentor figures like Gwen Stacy's dad.

Not that I mind the take, but one of the distinctive things about early Ditko-Lee Spidey is that nobody really mentors him. That's why he's kind of a hard-luck character--he's having to deal with his struggles all by himself, and he frequently has to deal with other superheroes assuming that he's a bad guy because of the Daily Bugle's relentless attacks on him. It's really not until the character's been around for a long time and become kind of the company mascot that other heroes come to regard him with affection, and that's generally a peer relationship--if you look at the 15-year plus run of Marvel Team-Up, I think the only guys who call Spider-Man "kid" or "youngster" are Ben Grimm, Doctor Strange and Captain America, who generally feel 'older' than the average Marvel hero anyway. Even Iron Man generally just refers to Spidey as a peer, more or less. The other thing that goes along with this is that Spider-Man is a really weird combination of loner and partner to the entire Marvel Universe--until much later, all of them talk about how nobody really knows Spidey well etc. compared to how well the Avengers, X-Men and FF know each other, and I think there's actually no other heroes who know his identity for a very long time.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: July 06, 2017, 06:56:26 PM

This was great, highly recommend, will probably watch again.

I am the .00000001428%
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: July 08, 2017, 01:41:09 AM

I give it a thumbs up.  Certain things didn't sit well with me (Flash revisions, Aunt May jokes, lack of great in combat banter, that final Peter Parker moment), and I missed some things that I think should have been there (lack of Osborn, no pictures of Ben even, Netflix has given us a better NY street level environment), but it was a good MCU Spider-man film featuring the kid looking to be accepted. 

Sony should be talking to Marvel and Netflix about tying the Netflix shows into Movie 2 or 3.  If they'd twisted the post credit scene and name checked Fisk....

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: July 08, 2017, 03:01:46 AM

I can possibly get the reason behind the lack of osbourne, as that angle has been played to death in every other spiderman movie, so they might not have wanted to do it.  Though they could have had oscorp logo cameos or something out there to indicate that it is still a thing.

Another one that struck me as sort of odd, was as far as i could tell, no sign of the Daily Bugle, unless I missed it in passing in a quick newspaper shot somewhere.  Then again, I don't really see them using Jameson as a foil for spiderman quite yet, as he is still in highschool, and I dont think he would even have his bugle photo gig untill his early college days.

Flash didn't bother me that much. There is nothing saying that they always have to play him as the Jock character, just the arrogant bully type who is always messing with parker.

Not sure about name checking Fisk, as I think they would need more setup than that, but I do recall Tooms name dropping someone in regards to one of his remaining weapon deals partway through the movie, though I don't recall who.  Maybe they might do something with that?

Last thing for anyone who has also seen it, did anyone manage to make out what the text of the PS was at the end of the note he left on the pile of stuff after the final fight scene?  It went by too fast for me to catch.

Personally if I had any one thing to nitpick about during the entire movie, it would be the scene where parker outs himself to his friend who catches him sneaking into his room in full costume.  The kid drops that gigantic lego deathstar almost directly in the centre of the room, and somehow, nobody manages to step on a single piece of goddamned lego for the entire duration of that scene?  I was like, wtf?  There were at least 4 times where peter would have had to walk right through the mess, and absolutely no reaction.  Totally ruined my immersion. awesome, for real
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 03:10:19 AM by SurfD »

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: July 08, 2017, 05:59:17 AM

Can't spoil that sweet product placement deal by hinting Lego could hurt you anywhere except in your pocket.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Hic sunt dracones.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #47 on: July 09, 2017, 02:16:25 PM

Last thing for anyone who has also seen it, did anyone manage to make out what the text of the PS was at the end of the note he left on the pile of stuff after the final fight scene?  It went by too fast for me to catch.

I enjoyed it. Not in the upper echelon of Marvel movies but entertaining enough.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: July 09, 2017, 03:05:59 PM

Just dropped in to say just saw it, loved it from the opening credits (they got the theme music!) all the way through to the final PSA. Don't know what's wrong with Ironwood, but this was the Spider Man I wanted to see.

Oh, Tony did make the point that Cap could have put Peter down anytime. He was trying not to hurt him (which is what I remember from the movie too).

Anyway, won't stick around to argue the point, opinions being opinions, but if you think you might like it, you might want to go see it yourself and give it a chance.
Apparently Spider Man is one of those things like iced tea -- everybody has got their mind set on what makes it good, and that's just that.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: July 09, 2017, 03:12:32 PM

So, this was fun and decent, which most Marvel movies, really--they have a kind of efficient house style that mostly avoids badness but also usually misses greatness. Maybe that's just going to happen with the source material--there is only so great it can be.

I did have one huge problem with the movie that did intrude on my enjoyment of it. I'm totally fine with skipping the origin story altogether, with only the briefest of mentions, except for one thing. You don't have to re-show Uncle Ben dying any more than you have to show Batman's parents getting killed. We know it. But you do need to retain Peter's sense of guilt and responsibility because of it--he needs to always be thinking, "If I don't try to stop the bad guys when I can, I might be responsible for another death that I could have prevented". That's fundamental to the character--it's his key motivation that drives him on. But this Peter is kind of just motivated be derring-do and hero worship, for the most part. He needs to be pushing the envelope to do more because he wants to do better on the responsibility front. For that reason, I also really wish:

As long as I'm at it on Iron Man, though,

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: July 09, 2017, 03:20:24 PM

Which was one of my main criticisms - The movie accepts things it hasn't shown in any way.  No-one at school ever, ever, ever wonders how Peter's doing with the horrible death of his Uncle. No-one even once checks Flash as being a literal slime of a human being.  Liz even says at the end 'I don't know what's wrong with you', like having a intimacy issue after the death of a relative isn't the most common thing in the goddamn world.  And let's make May a neurotic mentalcake with no idea why.  It's a mess and it's a mess that most of the fans won't notice because they backfill the shit they wanna see in there because they know how it is.  It truly shines when it takes some chances, but it only does that about ... twice ?  Maybe 3 times ?

Sure, the emotional reaction Pete has to the Ferry Fuckup is great, but doesn't 'go' anywhere.

Still disappointed.

Also, yes, The Avengers is now apparently Tony, Pepper and Happy.   why so serious?

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: July 09, 2017, 03:26:20 PM

And the Vision. He has a room.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #52 on: July 09, 2017, 04:28:08 PM

I don't think the movie is great, but I don't have any big issues with it. And I like you Ironwood and I don't have any issue with you not liking the movie but:

It's a mess and it's a mess that most of the fans won't notice because they backfill the shit they wanna see in there because they know how it is. 

That is coming dangerously close to saying that it's a bad movie but you're one of the few people that can see through it and see what a mess it is. You comment on other people filling things themselves, but at the same time one of your issues is that you're bringing your own baggage from the comics in regards to how the Uncle Ben stuff is handled (or more specifically how Peter's guilt over Ben's death should inform his character). You're at least partially judging the film based on what you think it should have been rather than what it is.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: July 09, 2017, 04:51:10 PM

The thing is, unless a super-hero movie just wants to be either a) a series of great action set-pieces with a basically bland but familiar protagonist (e.g., the superhero equivalent of James Bond) or it is some kind of metacommentary *on* superheroes (Deadpool), then whether it's a good or even great film is going to come down to: does this character have a distinctive motivation for doing stuff that's basically kind of insane and/or dangerous?

MCU characters:

Captain America: yes, they've done a great job of giving him motivations that go beyond being 'bland patriot guy'.
Thor: some sibling rivalry, some daddy issues,  some need for humilitity in Thor, decent but not great. "Love for Jane Foster", transparently *not* convincing.
Guardians of the Galaxy: every single one of them except maybe Gamora has a blazingly clear and kind of interesting motivation (Gamora's is clear but until we learn more about Thanos, it's lacking)
Iron Man: crystal-clear in IM 1; weak in 2 (and thus a weak movie); mixed in 3 (and thus a mixed movie).
Of the characters who haven't held movies up in their own right (or the ambiguous case of the Hulk): decent motivations, a bit less clear
Doctor Strange: basically borrowing Movie Tony Stark's motivations to try them on

Spider-Man, though, has got the most famous motivations in the world except for Batman, and it's a major *story engine* for him at all stages. Making him just a junior-league Avengers wannabe who is in high school leaves some of the most interesting aspects of the character on the cutting board.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #54 on: July 09, 2017, 06:34:01 PM

We just got a couple Spider-man movies where over the course of two movies he ended up with three deaths to feel guilty about. If they want to downplay that aspect of the character a bit this time around I'm ok with it. We know he has a stong sense of responsibility here. Part of the reason he keeps going after the Vulture is because he doesn't think Tony is taking the threat seriously (and he tells Tony as much after the ferry battle which is when Tony tells Peter he's the one that contacted the Feds). It's not just an audition for the Avengers, and even his desire to join the Avengers seems to stem from a genuine desire to use his powers for good. He got a taste of being trusted with a lot of responsibility and then was left feeling cast aside, ignored, and treated like a kid when he was no longer needed. It's a motivation that probably feels relatable to a lot of people.

Beyond that, one of the things that makes him fairly distinctive in the MCU and comic movies in general is that Peter doesn't kill his villain off (quite the opposite in fact). Even Batman in the Nolan films was 2 for 6 on keeping his antagonists alive.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: July 09, 2017, 10:15:27 PM

I wish they'd just given us one friggin minute of Ben. One dream sequence.  One flashback.  Cut scenes in the credits.  Something.  Spidey without any Ben is like Pizza without cheese.  It might still taste good - but it isn't pizza.

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: July 09, 2017, 11:40:19 PM

I wish they'd just given us one friggin minute of Ben. One dream sequence.  One flashback.  Cut scenes in the credits.  Something.  Spidey without any Ben is like Pizza without cheese.  It might still taste good - but it isn't pizza.
Why though?  As has been mentioned before, the Spiderman Origin story has been done to death so many times damn near everybody old enough to watch this thing probably knows it by heart already.  At this point, it is an inherent part of his character.  We don't need that exposition yet again.   It would be about as dumb as having Tony Stark announce, at least once, in every movie that he is, infact, Iron Man.  We already know this.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: July 10, 2017, 12:46:24 AM

In the first Batman movie it was done much better. It started off with the audience assumed to know that the Guy is batman, and you only say "the origin" at the beginning of the third act, and that was to show the Joker as the killer. I'm really surprised gthat other movies didn't take their queue from that... but I guess lazy writers have to fill time somehow.

Hic sunt dracones.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: July 10, 2017, 01:05:59 AM

That is coming dangerously close to saying that it's a bad movie but you're one of the few people that can see through it and see what a mess it is. You comment on other people filling things themselves, but at the same time one of your issues is that you're bringing your own baggage from the comics in regards to how the Uncle Ben stuff is handled (or more specifically how Peter's guilt over Ben's death should inform his character). You're at least partially judging the film based on what you think it should have been rather than what it is.

No, your first line is bullshit, as I'm sure you're aware.  You should know better ;  I'm not here to tell other people how to think or that I'm the rightest person they'll ever meet and show BOW IN SUBJUGATION.  Don't do that.

I'm not 'partially' judging anything.  I'm IN TOTALITY judging it for that.  Because what you seem to be saying is that I should ignore that it's a Spider-Man Movie.  I can't really do that.  I have certain expectations of a Spider-Man movie, as everyone else does, I would imagine.  One of those is that the motivation of Peter Parker is a little more clearly stated and conveyed better than it was here.  If I'm guilty of that (and, as I say, I am and have owned it since I first fucking posted here) so be it.  I think it was a good movie.  I've said so.  What I'm grappling to explain is why I'm so very disappointed in it for what I was expecting.  I said that from the first. 

But this isn't just an 'Uncle Ben' thing.  The discussion seems to have turned in that direction, but it's not really about that, as such.  I would just have liked the movie to be clearer on WHY everyone was reacting to an off-screen happening that's not once mentioned.  It would be like watching Shawshank but they never talk even tangentially about the two girls that were murdered.  It makes a LOT less sense.  I don't need to see an old guy snuff it.  I don't need to see agony and anguish about it (because we did get a fair bit of that).  But what I would like to see is characters ON SCREEN who are at least aware of it.  I challenge you to put someone down in front of it who has no clue about Spider-Man at all and paint me a motivation that gels with WHY Peter originally became Spider-Man as a character.  I'll even throw in the Civil War scenes.  I put it to you that you'd probably be surprised both by the result and by the fact that you managed to find someone who has no clue about Spider-Man after all these fucking movies and tie ins.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

As I say, this isn't my only disappointment and, frankly, it's the least of them.  I hated the suit and the amount of time devoted to the suit.  I hated Stark and the amount of time devoted to Stark.  I thought the fight scenes were fast, flashy, overly dark (I mean physically dark, it was hard to see shit) and more importantly, the Spider-Man banter, so brilliantly present in Civil War, was entirely absent during costumed scenes.

There was also tons to love about it, frankly a lot more to love than my meanderings might suggest, though I've mentioned it now 3 times.  What bothered me was coming out of it thinking 'Yeah, that should have been a lot better' rather than 'Wheeeeeeee'.  Is that a personal thing ?  Of course it fucking is.

Look, Imma gonna give up now, since I don't think I can be any clearer.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #59 on: July 10, 2017, 02:31:31 AM

No, your first line is bullshit, as I'm sure you're aware.  You should know better ;  I'm not here to tell other people how to think or that I'm the rightest person they'll ever meet and show BOW IN SUBJUGATION.  Don't do that.

I wouldn't have said it if I thought it was bullshit. I'm not here to score points in a conversation about a movie I don't have particularly strong feelings about, and I didn't preface it the way I did to blow smoke up your ass. I genuinely respect you, and a comic book movie generally isn't something I want to create a heated argument about. I could quote what you wrote again, but I'll trust that if you care enough you'll reread it yourself and possibly see what prompted the response I gave. I don't think it was an intentional attempt at sounding superior but I do think it came across as condescending.

Beyond that, I don't have any actual problems with your complaints about the movie and I don't think you were being unclear with them. I don't have issues with Peter's motivations or the suit, but yeah that's personal opinion. What kept this movie from being great for me is that I don't think there were more than a couple moments that really stood out. It's kinda funny, but not as funny as some of the best MCU movies. The action is serviceable but we've seen a lot better. Keaton might be the best villain the MCU has had (partly because the villains have been the weakest part of the MCU), but none of the other performances really stood out. Its niche in the MCU is that this is the one about a high school kid. That's fine and it's a pleasant enough movie to me, but if not for the fact that it's the movie that I've watched in the last week that other people are talking about I wouldn't even be posting about it here.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: July 10, 2017, 04:55:55 AM

Spidey banters pretty well when he's fighting the guys at the ATM. There's a lot of good humor generally in the movie.

I don't need Ben in flashback or even his name mentioned. I just need Peter to have a reason to go on besides "I want to impress Tony Stark".

And I really disliked the one Stark speech. It's important that Peter be able to recognize his own mistakes--and to fret about them. That's what he does.

I didn't mind the suit elements overall. It was a clever way almost to get "thought bubbles" into a film.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: July 10, 2017, 06:37:30 AM

It would have been nice to show something about Ben but i don't feel it was necessary at all to make the movie good.  This is spiderman has already been at it for a while, long enough to get noticed and recruited by Tony for Civil War, so it stands to figure that Ben has been dead a while also.  It would have been nice to get a mention like they did with the spider bite as a nod to the fans, but it didn't take away from the movie.

I am the .00000001428%
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #62 on: July 10, 2017, 07:02:32 AM

Wasn't bad, but I agree with some of the suit criticisms. Then again, nearly everything we saw on the suit was something Peter had done in the past, so my biggest problem there is Stark now gets credit instead of equally-smart Peter.

It would have been nice to show something about Ben but i don't feel it was necessary at all to make the movie good.  This is spiderman has already been at it for a while, long enough to get noticed and recruited by Tony for Civil War, so it stands to figure that Ben has been dead a while also.  It would have been nice to get a mention like they did with the spider bite as a nod to the fans, but it didn't take away from the movie.

Ben should have at least had a mention. This is still less than a year after Ben's death according to the timeline established in Civil War. Peter's been Spidey for 6 months when Tony recruits him. He explicitly says so: (2:23) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OnOJSNktOs  and that's at the start of this film. Yet there's no mention, no pictures, no memories?  That's bullshit. This is the most valid criticism of the whole movie; ignoring that its story driver was "Just another Teen Movie."

Ironwood is 100% dead-on here. The audience is assumed to have a level of knowledge and the movie lets you infill gaps because of it. Is that a bad thing or a good thing is a judgement call for each viewer. It's definitely not a "good film" thing. Hardcore SW fans loved a lot of things in Phantom Menace, but not knowing the background for all of the politics and intrigue makes it a worse movie than the dialog and lack of action. The same can be said here.

It's not a bad film, but it's not Spider Man to me because of the things Marvel has dropped 1) to distance themselves from Sony 2) to avoid yet another origin movie. Had they decided Spidey had been street-level for a year or two when they brought him into Civil War (making him a Junior/ Senior in HS) it would have been better. We all know the origin, so I agree there's no reason to have a 3rd in 20 years.

However, that doesn't mean you just ignore the things that SHOULD be happening from a character-perspective because the audience is familiar with them. When you do that you've decided that the only important part is the spectacle. That's fine if it's the direction you want to go, but it makes your entire franchise candy floss like Transformers and Marvel had been keeping away from that until recently.

There wasn't *enough* banter, but the ATM banter was good. There could have been more during the Vulture vs Spidey and Spidey vs. the Goons fights. Since it's early in his career the bumbling was OK with me, even though it's counter to the whole "suddenly Peter was as agile and quick as a spider" tropes that have been in the comics and movies since the character's inception. (The cafeteria tray Spidey from 2000's wouldn't have stumbled awkwardly around trying to chase-down the van.)

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: July 10, 2017, 09:49:42 AM

Purely subjective of course, but I laughed a lot more at the humor in this one than, say, Ant Man. And I didn't think Ant Man was bad either, but Spidey's jokes seemed more in character for me. YMMV of course.

Some of the discussion here does show there's a fine line to walk when skipping the origin. I personally do already know all I need to know about what's been happening to Peter, if not from fifty years of comics then from five other movies in recent history. Hell, I didn't even think referencing the spider bite was necessary. So yeah, this fan is happy to fill in the backstory. And although I am sure there are some non-fans out there who can't, that's not who I hear complaining. I'm hearing fans who *do* know the backstory complaining because a favorite-absolutely-relevant-I-tell-you part was left out.

As to Tony, I don't have to tell people he's got issues, and indeed has judgement problems. I won't go so far as agree with a friend of mine that Stark is actually the overarching villain of the series and not Thanos, but I do agree he's got issues that didn't go away when he fixed his heart. I wouldn't be that surprised if he feels a bit threatened by Parker's inventive genius, and is using the gratuitous suit upgrades as a passive aggressive way of keeping the upper hand.

I like the "thought bubbles" way of seeing the talking suit, and it also is a way to add in a version of "spidey sense," which I notice was pretty much left out of this incarnation of Spider Man (for good reason, IMO).

I do approve of the stated goal of keeping Spidey more grounded than most of the MCU, in keeping with him being "The Friendly Neighborhood Spider Man," but I'm worried that's just bullshit. These are blockbuster summer movies, they are going to trend big -- if they were going to go the low(ish)key route they should have given him to Netflix. (I know, impossible from a politics/economic standpoint, but still I think it would have been better from a story development point of view -- but then I think that for all the properties.)

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: July 10, 2017, 11:07:18 AM

Personally, I want a Spiderman movie that's completely made up of Ben dying over and over, so we never have to see or talk about it again. I fuckin get it. And I don't read comics. If you aren't familiar enough with the shit by now, kick rocks.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: July 10, 2017, 11:49:59 AM

Peter does mention his Spidey-Sense in Civil War and there's enough telegraphing in both Civil War and in this movie to suggest that the Spidey-Sense is alive and well.   I was ok with that.  After all, I really, really, really don't think we needed the bullshit slowdown nonsense we got in the first Spider-Man.  That was silly.  And, yes, I get that was what Raimi was going for, but it was too silly.

Here's a question for you though ;  I too had the suit as a way of allowing the huuuuuge amount of internal dialogue that Peter usually goes through, but what do we think of narration in movies ?  Is that an acceptable substitute and has it ever really been used where it worked ?  For the most part, these things get done by an external locus or having characters talk to themselves (Stark does a lot of both), but I'm always aware that a lot of comics rely on this and apart from Sin City, I've never really seen it done particularly well ?

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: July 10, 2017, 11:55:02 AM

Let's approach Ben from another angle:

What evidence is there as to whether this Peter Parker knows that he was responsible for Ben's death? If there is no evidence, was he responsible?

I'm betting Spidey 2 circles back to the origin when the guy that killed Ben is caught - and he then discovers that the guy was someone he could have stopped, but didn't.

BobtheSomething
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: July 10, 2017, 12:58:35 PM

Jesus.  Enough with Uncle Ben!  Enough time has passed for both Peter and May that it isn't awkward for either of them when strangers hit on Aunt May.  There's no, "She's marri--oh. *sadface*"  They are both apparently farther over his death than some of the audience.  Spiderman has enough distance to form a new character arc with new motivations rather than be stuck on the same damn trauma he was for the last 5 films.  Let it go.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #68 on: July 10, 2017, 01:29:32 PM

I could really go for some rice about now.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: July 10, 2017, 01:59:36 PM

roflcopter

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Spider-Man: Homecoming  
Jump to: