Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:43:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Apple news 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Apple news  (Read 23706 times)
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

on: October 25, 2016, 06:26:48 PM

Edit by Trippy: general thread for Apple news that doesn't warrant its own topic

I'm hoping they fuck the Macbook Pro up really bad this Thursday. I hope the dumb thing I heard where they might replace the F keys with a touch-sensitive OLED screen thing is true, and that they replace all of the connections with USB-C so I can watch people try to defend it.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 09:06:14 AM by Trippy »

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 06:36:09 PM

I'm looking forward to all the tears from OS X/macOS vi users awesome, for real
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 05:38:28 AM

wait what

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 06:41:13 AM

Long time Apple users have no right to be surprised by Apple's dick moves. They do it constantly. It's one of the most entertaining things about Apple.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 07:50:40 AM

But will it have a headphone jack?  why so serious?

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 09:13:01 AM

I'm looking forward to all the tears from OS X/macOS vi users awesome, for real

Yes, vim users I follow on twitter have flooded my feed with their concern. I think someone suggested Apple release an escape key dongle for $139. 
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 09:14:18 AM

wait what
MacBook Pros that are to be announced tomorrow will almost certainly have a touchbar replacing the function keys. This has been rumored for a while and was revealed in images hidden in the latest macOS update.

That means the ESC key will no longer be a dedicated hardware key. The latest macOS update also includes a way to remap the ESC key to a modifier key but that's a poor workaround if you want to use a dedicated hardware key, especially since any real Unix person already has the Caps Lock key remapped to be Control.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 10:43:29 AM

If escape was not removed it would be fine. Lenovo X1 Carbons don't have a function key row and I have never heard anyone who has them in our office complain.

Not having escape is fucking weird as shit but, whatever.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 11:31:36 AM

NDA

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #9 on: October 27, 2016, 01:04:15 PM

I do have a regular-sized Appley USB keyboard that already has more keys than the MBP, so I'll easily ignore this until something (I can't imagine what) compels me to get a new MBP.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #10 on: October 27, 2016, 02:07:42 PM

But will it have a headphone jack?  why so serious?

Annnnd, it does. And is not compatible with the iPhone7 headphones without another cable and/or adapter. lulz

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
schild
Administrator

Reply #11 on: October 27, 2016, 02:29:45 PM

Can we talk about how Microsoft kicked Apples fucking teeth in and are making Paint great again?
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #12 on: October 27, 2016, 03:25:13 PM

Can we talk about how Microsoft kicked Apples fucking teeth in and are making Paint great again?

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #13 on: October 27, 2016, 03:32:52 PM

€2600 for the base 15 inch model. That's €400 more than I paid for my 2013 MacBook Pro and that one has double the SSD capacity (512 vs. 256) of the new one and had the best graphics chip already.

To get the same option set as I did with my old one I'd have to pay €3200 or a cool $1200 more than I paid for my 2013 model (which was already quite expensive to begin with). WTF Apple. For that price I expect gilded escape keys not some shitty oled  touch bar.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #14 on: October 27, 2016, 07:03:27 PM

Is there someone out there waiting for Paint to improve?  Lots of projects on hold until that happens?

schild
Administrator

Reply #15 on: October 27, 2016, 07:12:35 PM

Is there someone out there waiting for Paint to improve?  Lots of projects on hold until that happens?
God it's not even worth humor. Of course there isn't. They had no reason whatsoever to update it. And yet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxyufNrH4Mw

Kids, man. Actual children. Put them in front of that shit.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #16 on: October 27, 2016, 07:17:36 PM

Related: Humans exist that still think a backwards cap is cool?

Those people were obviously morons.

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: October 27, 2016, 07:40:34 PM

Related: Humans exist that still think a backwards cap is cool?

Those people were obviously morons.

Everything changes, everything is the same.

- Viin
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #18 on: October 27, 2016, 08:34:54 PM

They did indeed fuck up the Macbook Pro. Glorious.

It's gonna be funny watching UNIX greybeard types have to stare at their keyboards using emacs/vim if they insist on one of these monstrosities. The Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Dongle is $50. You couldn't possibly be more owned if you're a Mac-haver and wanting to "upgrade".

Steve would have brutally slain any engineer who dared show him that touch bar.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #19 on: October 27, 2016, 08:46:29 PM

No he wouldn't have. He would've demanded more from it though.

schild
Administrator

Reply #20 on: October 27, 2016, 09:08:50 PM

Blind people will never behold the glory of an input interface that is a touchbar.

I'm seriously confused by the current direction Apple is going with hardware.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #21 on: October 27, 2016, 09:22:55 PM

It's gonna be funny watching UNIX greybeard types have to stare at their keyboards using emacs/vim if they insist on one of these monstrosities.
Real emacs users don't care about the missing hardware ESC key -- only n00bs use that instead of a proper meta key.

Edit: hardware, that is
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 09:26:27 PM by Trippy »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #22 on: October 28, 2016, 08:18:38 AM

God it's not even worth humor. Of course there isn't. They had no reason whatsoever to update it. And yet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxyufNrH4Mw

What in the actual fuck did I just watch?

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #23 on: October 28, 2016, 08:28:02 AM

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #24 on: October 28, 2016, 08:44:17 AM

What in the actual fuck did I just watch?

Eh, it looks cool other than the 30 year old corporate kids.

Shame the input lag shows even in their sales videos though.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: October 28, 2016, 09:52:15 AM

It's a great concept and eventually touch screen interfaces are going to be a standard thing. Having configurable buttons by app/task is just waaay too useful. Never mind it's not a new thing, Apple can claim they invented it :) But I give them credit for getting it out in front of a lot of consumers to push adoption for better solutions :)
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #26 on: October 28, 2016, 10:24:33 AM

esc key is in the wrong orientation and the cable needs to be shorter awesome, for real
schild
Administrator

Reply #27 on: October 28, 2016, 11:19:18 AM

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #28 on: October 28, 2016, 11:24:43 AM

No it's not. That cable is too short (and stiff) to be bent at a 90 degree angle easily so that ESC key is effectively rotated 90 degrees when in use. I.e. it's in "portrait" orientation rather than "landscape" orientation.

ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: October 28, 2016, 12:03:46 PM

It's 2016. Just make it wireless.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #30 on: October 28, 2016, 12:26:11 PM

My mid-2015 MBP polishes its case with your tears.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: October 28, 2016, 12:59:24 PM

I have one of those in near-pristine condition that my Director somehow corrupted so it will randomly shut off and not turn on for a week. Then work fine for a couple hours.

Bought her a new one (which is fine so far), but I'd reeeally like to use the old one as a brain for a home studio...
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: October 28, 2016, 03:45:32 PM

It's a great concept and eventually touch screen interfaces are going to be a standard thing. Having configurable buttons by app/task is just waaay too useful. Never mind it's not a new thing, Apple can claim they invented it :) But I give them credit for getting it out in front of a lot of consumers to push adoption for better solutions :)

But they're not. The screen is nice, and the USB-C thing is understandable to people who follow Apple. But the touchbar seems like some CE company's gimic, a point of differentiation derived from a "we need something different" desparation move, not a "we need to move computer users forward in a meaningful way". More of the mouse puck and less of a multitouch track pad.

That's ok though. Apple's made some dumb moves over the decades and people still buy their shit because it's a religion.

But they've been having it tough the last two years as their flagship stock price driver plateaued, their wearable has dominant marketshare in a business nobody really cares all that much about, and they haven't reinvented anythings they or others say they're reinventing (notably music, TV, and movies).

I suspect it's just because they're timid. Steve Jobs was a very special person. You can't really train the kind of skill he had, the reality distortion field that was his innate leadership style (make people believe it, and it's that belief that makes it possible). Can't really blame Tim Cook for not having the same quality because, like, 99% of humanity doesn't either smiley
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #33 on: October 28, 2016, 03:54:55 PM

Read an article about this recently, that I can't find now. Essentially, there's only room for one visionary at the top echelon of a company, and they surround themselves with people who are excellent at execution, but hopelessly inadequate at imagination. Then the 'Visionary' that was supplying all the ambition and imagination leaves/retires/dies, and the company left behind is this exquisitely tuned organizational device designed to take the ideas from the top and make them happen...but the guy at the top doesn't really have any now. Or at least, he doesn't know the 'secret sauce' the visionary used to sort out the wild brainstorming shit and turn it into The Vision.

So he's left with just grabbing onto random shit that enters his head and trying to impose it into reality. Stuff that looks sort of like the crazy, 'courageous', reality-distorting ideas that made the company great, but ultimately are just pointless.

--Dave
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 05:44:41 PM by MahrinSkel »

--Signature Unclear
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #34 on: October 28, 2016, 06:42:52 PM

Personally, I've been waiting for something like this since Art Lebedev tossed out that concept keyboard with the OLED displays for keys. Is it the best iteration of a thing? No, but it's a start.

Also, the salt from the neckbeards is amazing.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Apple news  
Jump to: