Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:55:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Nintendo Switch (nee NX) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nintendo Switch (nee NX)  (Read 40857 times)
Baldrake
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: October 21, 2016, 07:42:43 AM

I kept thinking, dude, play with your damn dog!

No, bad idea, I tried that once.  Dog couldn't last hit at all, we ended up getting wrecked like 33-4.
Well not with those tiny controllers I guess...
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: October 21, 2016, 09:07:28 AM

« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 09:09:10 AM by Ginaz »
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #37 on: October 21, 2016, 09:14:16 AM

I didn't buy the Shield.  I didn't think it would get a mainline Zelda game.

I am, of course, doomed to buy this, as I am doomed to purchase all of Nintendo's stuff until I perish and leave a corpse under a tombstone that reads "Y U NO METROID".

I do not know where I will put it, though.  The WiiU pad was bothersome enough to find a place for.  My son should be happy that the squid shooter was on it.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: October 21, 2016, 09:57:47 AM

I do not know where I will put it, though.  The WiiU pad was bothersome enough to find a place for.  My son should be happy that the squid shooter was on it.

Wouldn't you just..... put it in the dock?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #39 on: October 21, 2016, 10:24:25 AM

I don't really want to get into what my AV setup looks like, but there's not a neat place for something like that which is convenient.  I guess I could banish the GameCube from the shelf above the TV (itself inconvenient at that height), or probably I'll put the Switch in the basement which has a more normal TV setup.  That's where the WiiU went.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: October 21, 2016, 11:45:23 AM

My problem was that the video did a fuck horrible job of explaining just what the fuck this device was. It was too busy showing millenials in cities having rooftop parties without pot or alcohol, something I do not believe exists nor do I believe would include a Switch.

The video explained exactly what the Switch is. It's a handheld tablet-like gaming system with detachable side controllers that can be placed into a dock that then switches the output from the tablet screen to a TV alongside a proper wired standard-sized controller like any other console. It showed this process multiple times. I am not seeing the confusion here.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #41 on: October 21, 2016, 12:23:21 PM

Is it cartridge-media based? It looked like it. Maybe? Is there additional storage on the device? Is there any storage on the device whatsoever? Do I buy DVD's to play games? Does it have any wires at all? Is that base a charging dock? Why are there so many controller configurations? Is it a touchscreen? Motion-controlled? Is it some kind of hybrid mobile/tablet/console system that's going to have all the worst parts of all 3 styles of play and be really good at none of them? Is it Wifi or Bluetooth? What's the price? Also, why should I give a shit since it's Nintendo and they've clearly shown me nothing in the last 5 years that I give two fucks about buying?

The video was shit. Also, millenials cannot afford those apartments.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: October 21, 2016, 12:46:13 PM

But but, Nintendo games!!/1/

I think this is a better play than the Wii-U, with Nintendo shifting their target away from Microsoft and Sony and towards Google (Android/Cast) and Apple (AirPlay). It's not a bad strategy considering the mobile multi-touch screen market is pretty locked up and the platform just isn't good at some of the kinds of games Nintendo is known for. Yea sure, you can make a Mario Kart or Super Mario whatevernumberitisinow playable. But will it be good? We'll know when the first licensed one comes out, but I don't know it'll go for purists.

But, I do not know about the TV connection. Aside from this not being a big use case even though it's been possible for years on mobile, I don't know if the DS crowd really wants it and if there's enough Nintendo-on-TV people left that haven't already gone mobile.

However, I want this to be successful because casual games need more competition, and I have faith they'll knock it out of the park with some showcase launch titles like they did on the original Wii (and personally, I don't care about third party support. I'm passed the point of having faith in a device based on the breadth of its library. I want good stuff, not all of the stuff these days).
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: October 21, 2016, 01:09:35 PM

Is it cartridge-media based? It looked like it. Maybe? Is there additional storage on the device? Is there any storage on the device whatsoever? Do I buy DVD's to play games? Does it have any wires at all? Is that base a charging dock? Why are there so many controller configurations? Is it a touchscreen? Motion-controlled? Is it some kind of hybrid mobile/tablet/console system that's going to have all the worst parts of all 3 styles of play and be really good at none of them? Is it Wifi or Bluetooth? What's the price? Also, why should I give a shit since it's Nintendo and they've clearly shown me nothing in the last 5 years that I give two fucks about buying?

Err the video explicitely showed them putting a cartridge in.  You can also tell by the way it docks that it either doesn't have a touch screen or it's touch screen is useless because you won't be able to interact with it while it's docked and utilizing the TV.  Also I don't see how you can question if it will have Wifi since uh.... how else is it going to have internet when it's not docked and you are not within 100feet of the dock (a use case the video clearly shows).

Don't let your apparent hatred for all things Nintendo hit you on the way out.
patience
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: October 21, 2016, 01:17:21 PM

Yeah I don't get the hate.  A console where I can take any game, plug it into my TV to play full 1080p with advanced graphics then undock it to take it on the train with me to work, to conferences, on vacation, etc... is a fantastic idea imo.  You can tell in that video that video quality degrades a bit when you go into hand-held mode (framerate wise at the very least you can see in that video) but that's a fine trade-off for battery (I wonder if the dock has an external GPU to help or if it just maximizes the screen's GPU usage when docked).

I'm also excited by the fact that it looks like this device will have as close to zero touch support as possible, cause god fuck touch (even stylus touch on the 3DS).  

I'm also pretty excited on the casual tease of a new Mario 64 type game.

*edit*: Shit just being able to efficiently take games from TV to Bed will be massively appreciated by me.  I could never do that with the Wii U due walls, distance, and lack of game support for using the gamepad as a second screen.

Nintendo said they were working on making ports for Mario Maker and Splatoon.

Mario Maker's level designer works best with touch. If Mario Maker is announced expect the screen to be touch capable.

OP is assuming its somewhat of a design-goal of eve to make players happy.
this is however not the case.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: October 21, 2016, 02:19:48 PM

My biggest gripe is the built in failure point. Having the control portion literally pull off the controller and shove onto the portable shit is beyond stupid and completely unnecessary. It makes the controller bigger and provides something that is nearly guaranteed to just stop working and get dirty and gunky and awful - especially with kids fucking with it.

This is my reaction too. That shit is going to break so fast once my nephew and niece start using it, with all the sliding and docking and everything.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
schild
Administrator

Reply #46 on: October 21, 2016, 04:44:01 PM

I will likely get one of these because I can't see myself ever playing any of these games on the TV but as an in-bed thing, sure. Why not. This also means I won't disconnect the controllers very often.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #47 on: October 21, 2016, 05:57:52 PM

It looks like you can leave the side-mounted controllers permanently attached for handheld/tablet use, and use a traditional console controller when it is docked. Which is probably what 90%+ of people will do (most of the rest will just never dock it, or never undock it). The back-to-back play with 4 people waving around half a controller while squinting at a tiny screen seems like something that will never actually happen.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #48 on: October 21, 2016, 09:35:24 PM

I was about ready to say this. This is basically an NVidia shield with god willing, updated hardware.

Not that it will save it since I think it has a Tegra in it, and unless they DRAMATICALLY changed the architecture of the Tegra it is a gigantic piece of shit. There seems to be actual buzz about this whereas no one could really tell if the WiiU was a new console, so who knows. I don't think this'll save Nintendo on the hardware end because no matter how many devs you put in a picture that shit always dries up when your console isn't up to hardware parity with everything else.

The best part was using a 5 year-old game in the demo reel. Wow, cool, Skyrim. That's worth $300 or whatever.

So folks: After the WiiU- will people still pay the $300 Mario and Zelda tax?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 09:39:22 PM by Fabricated »

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
patience
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: October 22, 2016, 03:31:41 AM

Nintendo were paying their own tax making Mario and Zelda games twice for 2 platforms.

Now we're going to see this company make some more new IP and actually refresh old IP that has languished in the face of making more Marios, more Kirbys and franchising Zelda.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #50 on: October 25, 2016, 06:22:34 AM

Also, millenials cannot afford those apartments.

You need to get out of Mississippi.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #51 on: October 25, 2016, 09:12:20 AM

Also, millenials cannot afford those apartments.

You need to get out of Mississippi.

I agree completely. Still don't think millenials can afford those apartments though.  why so serious?

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #52 on: October 25, 2016, 11:27:36 AM

Refer to the job thread. awesome, for real

Re: Mario tax... that console fee is amortized over several games, if you're one of the target audience.  Besides Mario (to use WiiU examples), you can amortize across Splatoon and LEGO City Undercover as well.

I realize I'm an outlier, but I think $450 for LEGO City Undercover was not a bad deal.  Then you account for my son playing Mario Maker in the basement instead of something on my 360/PS3/PS4 and it gets even better.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #53 on: October 25, 2016, 11:46:33 AM

Sometimes I am glad I am poor.  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #54 on: January 12, 2017, 08:24:46 PM

Presser happening now.

March 3, 2017 worldwide (most regions)
$299.99 USD
Region-free
Online service (like PSN+) will be free to test until fall, service price to be announced at a later date.

I'm signing off the stream, the games they're showing so far look like drek. The form factor and design is pretty neat. I hope the games are quality and the hardware tests are solid, though I have my doubts.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #55 on: January 12, 2017, 08:48:51 PM

No Mario until holidays 2017. The Splatoon 2 presentation was one of the cringiest things I've ever seen.

Frame rates looked really awful.

-Rasix
schild
Administrator

Reply #56 on: January 12, 2017, 10:54:00 PM

Nintendo [ds] xxxl

Im less than thrilled.
Rasix

Reply #57 on: January 12, 2017, 11:04:15 PM

2 actual launch games that aren't the garbage that comes with it. Jesus Christ. At least my son seems to be over the Wii now. Took him a whole week to get sick of Smash.  Glad I bought it.  Ohhhhh, I see.

I'm sure this will do fantastic, but, common Nintendo, stop being horrible at hardware releases. What are the odds on a persistent shortage post launch? Maybe my local Target will get a whole 3 of them!

-Rasix
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #58 on: January 13, 2017, 03:00:13 AM

Subscription charges for online features... which will not be available until ~6 months after launch.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #59 on: January 13, 2017, 03:51:35 AM

Didn't watch any of the presser. Saw that pre-orders had gone up, so I figured what the hell, might as well pre-order one just in case. Shortly after took a look at all the announced games and promptly canceled the pre-order. Holy shit, what a mess.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: January 13, 2017, 05:05:20 AM

I'm one of the 4 people in the world like has and likes their Wii U. Breath of the Wild looks like it will be a good game, but since I can play that on the Wii U I have no incentive to get this thing at all.

I would also never use its mobile features. I have enough shit to carry around as it is.
Rasix

Reply #61 on: January 13, 2017, 07:01:02 AM

Extra controller is $80.  ACK!

edit:
And.. exactly one game worth buying at launch. One. Yah, this is an absurd console launch. I really wish Nintendo would just stop making hardware and go full bore software dev.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 07:59:00 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #62 on: January 13, 2017, 08:16:52 AM

What in the ever living holy monkey fuck of shit is this?

What in the fuck is Mario doing in Vice City? Every one of those games either looks like yet another retread of something Nintendo's already done or a shittastic motion-controlled flailfest of bad game ideas.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #63 on: January 13, 2017, 08:18:24 AM

Wait the controllers are motion controllers?

Why didn't they tell us this before?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #64 on: January 13, 2017, 08:27:19 AM

If you are being serious or even if you aren't, here's the specs on the Joy Con controllers.

Yep, definitely going to forget this one exists except as a reason to mock Nintendo.

Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: January 13, 2017, 08:29:23 AM

$80 for each controller, $300 and it comes with one I assume?

$620 for this to replace my WiiU. Nope. I'll just buy the WiiU edition of Zelda and wait and see what happens with the Switch.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #66 on: January 13, 2017, 09:32:54 AM

If you are being serious or even if you aren't, here's the specs on the Joy Con controllers.

Yep, definitely going to forget this one exists except as a reason to mock Nintendo.
The announcement in October made no mention of motion controllers.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #67 on: January 13, 2017, 09:38:55 AM

Well, it didn't actually mention much of anything.  why so serious? I just assumed from the video of the sexy millenials playing the thing during their rooftop party on top of the building none of them could afford to live in that the controllers had some form of motion to them (and because it's Nintendo).

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #68 on: January 13, 2017, 06:45:06 PM

For $299, this is what comes in the box:

Nintendo Switch™ Console
Nintendo Switch Dock
Joy-Con™ (L) Gray
Joy-Con (R) Gray
Joy-Con Wrist Straps
Joy-Con Grip
High Speed HDMI™ Cable
Nintendo Switch AC Adapter

The Pro controller seems to be $70, but the base system seems to have everything you would need for $299 for single player and two player wonk games. Not recommending the purchase, just clarifying.

From http://www.nintendo.com/switch/buy-now/ on the What's Included tab.
patience
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: January 13, 2017, 07:11:10 PM

$80 for each controller, $300 and it comes with one I assume?

$620 for this to replace my WiiU. Nope. I'll just buy the WiiU edition of Zelda and wait and see what happens with the Switch.

It's 80 for two,  50 for one and 70 for one pro controller.

Paid online is a deal breaker for me. I'll wait til the Wii U is at fire sale prices to play Zelda and Splatoon.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Nintendo Switch (nee NX)  
Jump to: