Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:56:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Marvel's Iron Fist 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Marvel's Iron Fist  (Read 50551 times)
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

on: October 04, 2016, 01:27:17 PM

Release Date: March 17, 2017.

Everyone catch the quick connection to this series in the final episode of Luke Cage? 

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 01:32:36 PM

I am more excited about this than Luke Cage (which I have not managed to watch yet).

I have never played WoW.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 01:50:28 PM

Yeah, this is the one I've been most excited for since watching the first season of Daredevil.  It's either going to be great or terrible.  The story will require more extra scenery than normal, so unless they give it a decent budget, could hurt things.  But it has the potential to be really fun.

I look forward to seeing how they try to mitigate his costume in the series.  Luke Cage has been revamped in the comic universe since his 70's bad self, and they just ran with that.  They got Daredevil his costume, and Jessica Jones just wears normal clothing like Luke Cage does now.  Unfortunately, Iron Fist still wears his original costume even in modern runs, so its going to be a bit tricky to make it work.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 01:52:46 PM

I was highly amused in some flash back scenes luke cage basically had his original costume on saw himself in a mirror and mutters I look like a damn fool I nearly died.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 01:54:11 PM

Yeah, this is the one I've been most excited for since watching the first season of Daredevil.  It's either going to be great or terrible.  The story will require more extra scenery than normal, so unless they give it a decent budget, could hurt things.  But it has the potential to be really fun.

I look forward to seeing how they try to mitigate his costume in the series.  Luke Cage has been revamped in the comic universe since his 70's bad self, and they just ran with that.  They got Daredevil his costume, and Jessica Jones just wears normal clothing like Luke Cage does now.  Unfortunately, Iron Fist still wears his original costume even in modern runs, so its going to be a bit tricky to make it work.
Like Daredevil, I don't expect to see the costume until the end of the first season.  Even then, I expect his to be less costume and more uniform.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 01:57:13 PM

Yeah, I'm just interested in how they are going to adapt it.  Because, uhh:

You're going to have to go pretty far away from the original to make it work.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 02:11:59 PM

Hell naw, get that 3 foot tall yellow lapel 2-collar popped y0.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 08:14:43 AM

Daredevil's outfit is armor.  Jessica has no outfit (for the most part).  Luke wears plain clothes most of the time and had the nice nod to the past costume.  Iron Fist's outfit being armor doesn't fit, but is iconic to the character.  I'm assuming the mask will be there to hide his identity and the outfit will be ceremonial garb of some sort - but very much toned down. 

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 08:39:27 AM

Full trailer.

Doesn't have the same sense of thematic style as the other shows. Feels flat. Finn Jones doesn't seem to have a 'take' on the character, at least judging from this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7nfhrTlmIY
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 08:54:10 AM

Yeah, looks very generic martial-artsy with no flair. I wasn't inspired to watch.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #10 on: February 08, 2017, 08:59:46 AM

Yeah, it looks a bit generic, but given the successes they've had with the other 3 shows, I'm willing to forgive a trailer that doesn't immediately wow me.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 10:01:54 AM

Yeah, I'm just interested in how they are going to adapt it.  Because, uhh:

You're going to have to go pretty far away from the original to make it work.
To be fair, that's an old comic. This is a more modern version that they have to work from:

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: February 08, 2017, 12:30:23 PM

Um, hello, they made this already, it was called 'Batman Begins'? Holy fuck that was unoriginal.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: February 08, 2017, 12:59:49 PM

"My name is Oliver Queen Danny Rand. After five years in hell on a mountain, I returned home with only one goal: to save my city. But my old approach wasn't enough. I had to become someone else. I had to become something else. I had to become the Green Arrow Iron Fist."

I might still enjoy it because Netflix usually knows what they are doing with this stuff. But really, originality was never in the cards for this one.  awesome, for real
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 01:02:05 PM by Tebonas »
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: February 08, 2017, 01:20:04 PM

The Brubaker soft-reboot showed that you can do some pretty interesting things if you're willing. Basically, Brubaker said, ok, if Danny Rand is the *current* Iron Fist, how many have there been? What did the past ones do? And he said, "Hey, if he's the champion of K'un L'un, what if there are other extra-dimensional cities with their own champions? And they have a classic Hong Kong-cinema wire-fu championship every once in a while, and they all have different kinds of crazy martial-arts powers." And then he said, "And what if I really take seriously the idea that Danny honestly shouldn't have become the Iron Fist and give his resentful enemy a more serious legitimate gripe with Danny as a result?" And so on.

They can do this, but the problem really is that he's the hardest character to do something sophisticated with in this set. Daredevil is easy: blind Catholic lawyer who grew up in a tough household and has big internal conflicts about vigilantism; Jessica Jones, PTSD alcoholic strong woman up against a character whose connections to rape we can actually take seriously and think through; Luke Cage, where we can think a lot about black cultural history and Harlem and the road from blaxploitation to here.

And Danny Rand, white guy made to cash in on 70s kung fu craze, whose backstory is pretty much a mashup of Tarzan/John Carter/Doctor Strange/the Shadow/Batman Begins: white man in mysterious Orient, white man who is better than the natives at their native things, white man who becomes the Chosen One, white man who returns to set things right and claim his fortune from an usurper. To fit the Netflix vibe, they have got to do something to deconstruct that, complicate that, rethink that, make that more grown-up in some way. Not sure if they can or have--the trailer certainly doesn't give you a sense of it.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: February 08, 2017, 01:31:24 PM

Yeah, but the brand's built trust.  I'll shit on it if it deserves shat on, but the previous ventures have been top notch, so fuck it right ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: February 08, 2017, 01:37:27 PM

Yeah. They definitely have earned some trust.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #17 on: February 08, 2017, 02:08:33 PM

Why are people saying this is a copy of Batman Begins when Iron Fist's origin story was published in 1974?
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #18 on: February 08, 2017, 02:16:47 PM

It's more like a copy of Doctor Strange where he punches things instead of magicking them.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: February 08, 2017, 02:41:00 PM

Once you get right down to it, there were only about 4 fucking origin stories anyway.  They all just ripped each other.

Who cares.

The whole 'White Guy' stuff is more compelling an argument, but I could give a fuck.  If I didn't get my righteous fury on over The Karate Kid, I certainly don't get to pretend to do it at this stage in my life.

Fuck The Karate Kid tho.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: February 13, 2017, 04:03:28 PM

Why are people saying this is a copy of Batman Begins when Iron Fist's origin story was published in 1974?

Cause most of us don't read comic books from 1974?

We gotta reach peak fucking comic books soon right?? please? 

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: February 13, 2017, 05:55:51 PM

When Ultra the Multi-Alien is optioned for a six-film series you will know we have reached peak.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #22 on: February 13, 2017, 06:39:50 PM

I'm still waiting on Nemesis the Warlock and/or ABC Warriors movies. Then we'll be at peak.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: February 15, 2017, 03:41:49 PM

Never gonna happen.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: February 16, 2017, 05:10:44 AM

Disney has signposted wanting to make all the netflix shows come together because of big bad ninjas doing big bad magic ninja shit in a hole under Manhattan. In that context Iron Fist seems a pretty good fit, and given the only compulsory elements of Iron Fist are kung fu, and having at least 1 item of yellow or green clothing, you can make the characters as complex or straight forward as you like. Not sure I understand the fuss.

My guess is they'll do the straightforward rich white guilt wanting to prove self thing. Works for everyone from Batman to Lorelei Gilmore.

Misty Knight is in it - they'll use that to define Rand in contrast to Luke Cage so the two of them can piss each other off in Defenders.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 05:20:18 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #25 on: February 16, 2017, 08:14:58 AM

Isn't Madam Guo the Crane?  That's a link.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: February 21, 2017, 01:28:29 PM

Yeah, I'm not sure about this series just because the trope is so played out in other shows/movies. On the other hand Netflix team have shown they deserve a chance and I do think Rand will work really well as part of the team dynamic in the Defenders. Most of these movies/shows (esp. thinking of Arrow) have this character as the main leader. I think it couldl be interesting throwing an overdone archetype into a new team role.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: February 21, 2017, 02:13:46 PM

In my experience, a genre or trope being played out or overused doesn't mean that the next show/movie within it can't be amazing.  We get tired of the middling or poor stuff that comes over and over.... the pretenders that followed the leader.   

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: February 21, 2017, 07:04:18 PM

Yeah. All that "this trope is familiar" means is: you'd better bring your A game when you do it. That's all.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: February 23, 2017, 10:59:29 AM

If there is a legitimate worry with this show, its that it is really episode 41-50 of a genre show that has only run for two years.

Ultimately this is why most promising network shows burn out so fast - they just make too many episodes too quickly.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: March 08, 2017, 09:42:39 AM

Early reviews are pretty brutal.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: March 08, 2017, 10:02:16 AM

Early reviews are pretty brutal.

Wow.  I just Googled them.  I'm surprised to see them apparently strike out so hard. 

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: March 08, 2017, 10:30:58 AM

sad

Was looking forward to this more than the others.  Guess I'll wait and see....

-Stephen Colbert
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #33 on: March 08, 2017, 10:35:07 AM

Yeah...bummer.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: March 08, 2017, 11:24:11 AM

Oh Dear.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Marvel's Iron Fist  
Jump to: