Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:31:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: No Man's Sky: A COMPREHENSIVE PRIMER BY SAMPRIMARY. 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: No Man's Sky: A COMPREHENSIVE PRIMER BY SAMPRIMARY.  (Read 319152 times)
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: August 13, 2017, 04:23:27 PM

I played Eve for years. I can't imagine Elite has a worse learning curve. Still, thanks for the warning. I'm not sure I'm ready to put that kind of energy into a new game right now. Maybe I'll pick it up at the Christmas Steam sale.
schild
Administrator

Reply #106 on: August 13, 2017, 05:29:58 PM

NMS is a good game for what it is, just a lot of people think it's something else.

No. A lot of people were flat out told it was something else.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: August 13, 2017, 06:08:20 PM

What schild said. No Mans Sky is False Advertising incarnate.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: August 13, 2017, 07:14:58 PM

Is Elite: Dangerous any good in solo mode? I have zero desire to play another MMOG right now.

The big warning however is that Elite Dangerous has a massive learning curve. At first you struggle to even fly your ship or land it. And you do a lot of googling and reading wikis.

That's true, but it should be noted that if you have any experience with flight sims and you own a joystick you shouldn't have any real trouble. It's easier than any WWII aviation sim I've ever picked up, for instance.

That said, I own it and haven't played in a while. It is a colossal time sink, and you don't really build anything in it either.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: August 21, 2017, 01:15:42 PM

So, just as a curiosity, the initial article that caused the thread is inaccessible.
schild
Administrator

Reply #110 on: August 21, 2017, 01:30:47 PM

yes, correct

we don't have a frontpage
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #111 on: August 28, 2017, 06:49:04 AM

NMS is much improved from before.  For one thing, I can transfer stuff from my current ship directly to a crashed ship.  You can also summon your ship to your location.  There is more gameplay; I restarted and there is at least more gameplay in the early parts.

As usual, I will say that I didn't read anything about this game before I bought it.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #112 on: September 18, 2017, 09:42:53 AM

the best way i could describe the difference between NMS today and NMS at launch is that today's version is an actual game
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #113 on: September 20, 2017, 08:00:05 PM

You are being generous, but I agree in spirit.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #114 on: September 21, 2017, 11:00:08 AM

well I mean I wouldn't say a particularly great game, but .. a game. like, with a release that wouldn't go down like the world's most oversold tech demo
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: November 24, 2017, 06:36:58 AM

I just bought it on sale. I like it.

I have not read much about it, including the first article in this thread that is inaccessible.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #116 on: November 28, 2017, 07:10:15 AM

This is the correct way to play this game.  It really is alright, but it isn't what was advertised.

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: November 28, 2017, 10:15:47 AM

I have a friend that bought it when it was new, then put it aside (like everybody else did) when he experienced how much it sucked.

Lately he jumped in and gave it another try, and confirms that there is indeed a playable game there now, except that he has some sort of bug that suddenly and randomly catapults him out of a system at hyperlight speeds every once an a while. Apparently it can throw him so far as to be outside normal space and time.

So be advised.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #118 on: November 30, 2017, 03:50:05 PM

I advise starting a new save.  Too much change in the program.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: May 03, 2018, 02:54:01 PM

[Correct Thread]

Recentish review of NMS showing the state its in today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d13ZXtdFotE

[/Correct Thread]

Hic sunt dracones.
schild
Administrator

Reply #120 on: May 03, 2018, 03:06:56 PM

480p? what a dick
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: July 25, 2018, 05:41:44 PM

Major update which claims to fulfil on a lot of the original promises - https://www.nomanssky.com/next-update/

Had a quick go, definitely looks prettier. Hard to say how improved it is, but there is multiplayer of some sort.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: July 26, 2018, 04:38:26 AM

So yeh multiplayer works, and looks like you might be able to coop play. The graphics are even more stunning than before, but the core gameplay or lackof doesn't appear to have changed much.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: July 26, 2018, 05:14:54 AM

Did they make it so the game remembers what materials were found on what planets?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #124 on: July 26, 2018, 09:54:40 AM

Yes. They also added a scanner that lets you scope out the trade potential of a system before going there.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #125 on: July 26, 2018, 10:10:50 AM

As a note if you do decide to try it again:

You will almost certainly have to restart. If you do, do the entire tutorial all the way up to learning the Antimatter recipe, without deviation! Many people, including myself, had to restart due to doing foolish things like claiming your pre-order ship before completing the tutorial. Completely borked the save. Fortunately the whole tutorial is under two hours if you focus on it.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: July 26, 2018, 04:13:39 PM

I bought the game on GoG, there is no multiplayer on the GoG version.

I fell for their promise of multiplayer all over again :/
schild
Administrator

Reply #127 on: July 26, 2018, 05:53:21 PM

Lol
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: July 27, 2018, 02:29:59 AM

Update: Shortly before publish, GOG announced that it’s giving all No Man’s Sky owners a chance to refund the game, regardless of when they initially purchased it. The company decided to enforce this extended refund period on its own accord, after receiving numerous complaints about the multiplayer delay.

“Although Hello Games chose not to offer refunds over missing game content to our users and instead promised to bring the missing multiplayer content later this year, we understand that some of you might not be willing to wait,” reads a post on the website. “For this reason, entirely at GOG’s own cost, we’re offering an extended refund policy for all owners of No Man’s Sky.”
Link to article

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: July 28, 2018, 11:40:58 AM

I have a buddy that bought it at launch, got burned like everybody else, and put it aside until now. Apparently, to him this patch not only makes the game playable, but patches the fun in.

Don't know if I'm going to try it now though. It's not like I don't have other time-wasters on deck, and I kinda hate to reward the whole debacle.

So I'll probably do what I always do and grab it on sale for a couple of bucks and then wait a few more years to mess with it after everybody else is done.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: July 28, 2018, 12:59:01 PM

Multiiplayer is blessedly optional. Just create a new game and then go into options/network options and turn it off.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: July 30, 2018, 03:41:22 PM

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #132 on: July 30, 2018, 05:23:13 PM

Awesome.

I decided to start a fresh game on PS4, not having played significantly since the first month. Overall it seems to make more sense with the starting path they give and resource combination also seems logical. A lot of the fun is sucked out by the anxiety of running out of materials so quickly so most of the game is farming for mats and not exploring.

I'm guessing this part is scripted, but about my fifth jump in hyperspace I landed right into a dogfight and somehow won the battle. The reward was an entire damn freighter to use as a space base. It's a class C with only one science vessel for missions, but it was still fun to get to that part of the game so quickly.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: July 30, 2018, 05:30:15 PM

I'm guessing this part is scripted, but about my fifth jump in hyperspace I landed right into a dogfight and somehow won the battle. The reward was an entire damn freighter to use as a space base. It's a class C with only one science vessel for missions, but it was still fun to get to that part of the game so quickly.

Ditto, freighters seem pretty cool. You can build up a fleet and send them on random expeditions, which take play in real time. So far have yielded very little, but it's a nice touch.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #134 on: July 31, 2018, 10:48:27 AM

My son watched me play this for about five minutes, and after a few questions he said "So, it's Starbound."

I'm having fun.  Had to start over, but that is the fun part anyway: stuck on a crap planet, scrounging for your bootstraps.

DevilsAdvocate25
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: July 31, 2018, 10:59:26 AM

Ditto, freighters seem pretty cool. You can build up a fleet and send them on random expeditions, which take play in real time. So far have yielded very little, but it's a nice touch.

We have been playing it again. My daughter got a freighter and frigate. There is a bug with frigates that, once they get damaged on a mission, they may end up with damage that can't be repaired. It will say 0 stations damaged, but still be damaged. If you send it on another mission, it is destroyed. Not that big a deal when you have a Class C, but some folks online said that a Class A frigate is 8 million credits. It's a pretty shitty bug.

The only other issue I've seen is that when you accept quests from random NPCs, it shows the quest code like NPC_QUEST_COMBAT_START instead of actual quest text. When you finish, it does the same thing like NPC_QUEST_COMBAT_RES. You get the reward, but it's very lacking in polish.

I also had a quest to collect resources. Turned it in and got the reward. NPC didn't take the resources, though, so I sold them, as well.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #136 on: July 31, 2018, 11:05:13 AM

It is very true that the general quality of the game is shit.  I started a new save but I still have help files from the previous versions, complete with nonexistant elements.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: July 31, 2018, 01:39:01 PM

We have been playing it again. My daughter got a freighter and frigate. There is a bug with frigates that, once they get damaged on a mission, they may end up with damage that can't be repaired. It will say 0 stations damaged, but still be damaged. If you send it on another mission, it is destroyed. Not that big a deal when you have a Class C, but some folks online said that a Class A frigate is 8 million credits. It's a pretty shitty bug.

The only other issue I've seen is that when you accept quests from random NPCs, it shows the quest code like NPC_QUEST_COMBAT_START instead of actual quest text. When you finish, it does the same thing like NPC_QUEST_COMBAT_RES. You get the reward, but it's very lacking in polish.

Yeh I had that bug happen to me since my last post :(

They've really improved so much, but still a bit of overall shoddiness that denies full absolution.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: August 01, 2018, 03:06:13 PM

I started a fresh game, played for 15 hours or so, and then managed to lose my entire exosuit inventory due to the incredibly annoying savegame system. So I gave and reloaded an old save from last summer. I'd been through the tutorial on the first, scrapped game so I figured I should be OK. As soon as I loaded up I got an immediately call from Polo the Anomalous Gek so that worked out find. The first system I warped to had me rescue a freighter which was then given to me so that's cool too.

The best thing though is that I have my old ship back. I lucked into it early on and it has 47 inventory slots (about half are broken). My exosuit is a hell of a lot better too as is my multitool. I think the previous release was more generous in giving upgrades to newbies because I swear I only played 15 or 20 hours. Or perhaps I was just incredibly lucky. I was also able to scrap a lot of "old technology" from the ship which gave 20 of those handy technology upgrades you need to build anything decent.

The downside is that the majestic NastyStorm's Garbage Scow is as ugly a ship as I've ever seen in the new release. The poor old girl looks very out of place among her peers.

The other problem with the poor old Scow is that when I teleport back to the NastyStorm Colony she lands inside the Construction Shed and annoys my Overseer. I'm early in the base tutorial. Hopefully I'll be able to build a proper landing pad for her and keep out of that crabby Gek's hair.

WayAbvPar

Reply #139 on: August 01, 2018, 03:08:17 PM

How much of this is still accurate? Picked it up when it was on sale and just starting to get into it. Have managed to travel to another star system, but not much farther than that.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: No Man's Sky: A COMPREHENSIVE PRIMER BY SAMPRIMARY.  
Jump to: