Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:50:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: BladeRunner 2049 - The Movie 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: BladeRunner 2049 - The Movie  (Read 36958 times)
Severian
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: October 05, 2017, 08:37:10 PM

I just saw it. I'm a huge fan of the original, saw two of the versions which were released in theaters, I have the five disc collector's edition Blu-ray and watched each of the versions I hadn't seen, I screencapped and cropped this  for the only wallpaper my PS3 ever had, etc. 

Blade Runner 2049 is fucking great.

I saw it in "XD" which size wise is just what big screens used to be, but the sound system engulfs you and I watched in a recliner with my feet up. That was new. Of course I still had random moviegoers all around me, but everyone was actually really quiet. Although the lady next to me was fighting a cough, opened a crinkly bag of something to eat from, and seemed restless in parts. Then when the film was over and I was still soaking it in during the credits, she told her unconvinced boyfriend about everything which was perfect about the film and seemed a little emotional about it.

I'll be going back to see it again this weekend.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #71 on: October 05, 2017, 08:59:08 PM

Is the plot retarded?

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Severian
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: October 05, 2017, 10:41:42 PM

No, it's good enough. But what makes Blade Runner Blade Runner isn't plot per se, it's how the story elements support character, and the relationships between characters, and their natures, and the world they live in.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #73 on: October 05, 2017, 11:37:04 PM

I liked it well enough. A bit of time is going to have to pass before I can really say how good I think it is though.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: October 08, 2017, 12:01:07 AM

I liked it well enough.

I found it played the plot too lightly and the philosophy a bit heavy/didactic, but hey.

Not a classic I'd say, but good.

Edit: After a bit more reflection I'll push it even more to the 'shiny but empty' side of the equation. Like the JJ Star Wars, except less fun, and less stupid, but still style over substance.

Both good movies and worth seeing.

Is the plot retarded?

Fairly, yeah.

Not as retarded as Leto's whole character though. He does his best with it.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 04:28:20 PM by lamaros »
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: October 08, 2017, 04:27:49 PM

Duplicate....
WayAbvPar

Reply #76 on: October 08, 2017, 05:56:27 PM

Enjoyed it. I find myself liking Gosling more and more as an actor, despite his nearly overwhelming smugness.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: October 08, 2017, 06:14:59 PM

Enjoyed it. I find myself liking Gosling more and more as an actor, despite his nearly overwhelming smugness.
Meh, if you were Gosling you would be smug too.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
schild
Administrator

Reply #78 on: October 08, 2017, 06:43:25 PM

I would never ever be smug with a marginally lazy eye regardless of the rest of me.

I like Gosling, but it's a valid complaint.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: October 08, 2017, 06:57:39 PM

It's apparently bombing at the box office. Still, the original did too so it's in good company.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: October 08, 2017, 06:59:26 PM

Gosling was very good, I thought Ana de Armas nailed her role also.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #81 on: October 09, 2017, 03:17:56 AM

It's apparently bombing at the box office. Still, the original did too so it's in good company.

Went Friday night on a date. 9:45 showing and there were only 15 seats sold.  (Pick your seat theater). Yes, I’d call that bombing.

It felt very much like a “middle” episode and that’s not really a good thing. It didn’t ask a lot of questions and the ones it did ask were too subtle, buried beneath the arc of it as a middle movie. That hurt the movie more than anything for me. Not that it was bad because of it, but it definitely weakened it. 

Some gorgeous cinematography. Fantastic work and a few shots I’d like as my wallpaper at the office.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #82 on: October 09, 2017, 07:45:12 AM

So I went to see this yesterday and I'm still processing it. I can say that while it was utterly gorgeous, the style/design/aesthetic seemed to lack the organic nature of the first, most likely because it was aping someone else's style rather than being this director's personal vision. Perhaps it was the XD nature - it's so crisp, sharp and clear that it feels antiseptic. The story was more complex/complicated than the original and I think that's where it really failed. The ending was an utter cockup, mostly because after almost 3 hours, the resolution we got didn't feel like an ending so much as setting us up for a sequel. Jared Leto's Wallace as the main antagonist was good (even if he chewed the scenery left and right) but none of his story or arc was resolved at all and the disposition of the main protagonists felt incomplete. The "twist" (if you could call it that) wasn't even surprising since they'd pretty much telegraphed it from the get-go.

I will say that the story arc for Ana De Armas' JOI character was fantastic and she did a fantastic job with that. Of all the stories and character arcs, that was actually the most interesting one and the one that felt most organic and complete. I will also say she is so goddamn hot, she's distracting as instead of being immersed in the story, I'm constantly thinking "GODDAMN IS SHE HOT." Which goes to tell you just how good her acting was in that despite that distraction, I still think her arc was the best.

It wasn't quite the soulless corporate cash-in I'd expected when I heard it first announced, nor the worthy successor to the original. It was a good but flawed movie, with an ending that didn't do its best parts justice.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #83 on: October 09, 2017, 08:51:46 AM

I enjoyed this tremendously.  Also, the theater was mostly full for a Friday night showing at 9:30pm.  My anecdotal experience counters yours!
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: October 09, 2017, 09:05:54 AM

Worldwide $85M so far, production budget $150M.  It'll likely get there, but they have to be disappointed.  I think they were hoping for $85M domestic opening weekend when they were putting this together...

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
UnsGub
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: October 09, 2017, 09:19:02 AM

Enjoyed the movie.

Not another special one was great.

It about the questions raised.  Ford's ask the dog is a good example.

Small story about people and agency.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: October 09, 2017, 10:05:54 AM

You smell burnt toast?

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: October 09, 2017, 10:46:38 AM

Saw it, liked it a lot.  For a strongly visual movie I was delighted that the plot was coherent and characters stayed within their characterizations.  I'm not a Ryan Gosling fan, but I think he did a great job, as did Harrison Ford and Princess Buttercup.

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: October 09, 2017, 10:54:23 AM

3 hours for an ok movie. My wife was pissed. We talked about it, talked about it some more and generally came to the conclusion that they wrote the new blade runner meets old blade runner scene first and had a move sprinkled in for good measure. Beyond the scenery and the not so distant future syfi check boxes, ie "the world is dying and corporations are soulless constructs", the movie offers nothing. Sprinkle in some chosen one,  sprinkle in some plucky resistance, sprinkle in evil corporations/empire, and here you go syfi classic.

What made the original blade runner so special is that the tropes were at least given a twist or a rich flavor. The chosen ones and his merry band of resistance fighters are mass murders escaping punishment for fighting against slavery. The evil corporation isn't evil just amoral, no more concerned or unconcerned with the life they mass produce as we would be the farming of cows. And this is layered over a story we're suppose to find genuinely dis concerning the death of robots.

Blade runner 2049 just plays it's tropes straight, minus the constant barrage of explosions and exposition dumps that the common audience is used to. And while the lack thereof makes this movie ok, that doesn't excuse the lack any real threat from the generic villain or the bland themes. Ultimately the toothless nature of this movie will be reason why it bombs.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #89 on: October 09, 2017, 11:31:56 AM

I feel like Wallace's motivations didn't really make much sense, or at the very least, just weren't explained enough. "We need to make replicants breed like humans to meet production quotas/vague lofty expansionist goal" seems like a weak justification. Does it really take longer than 9 months to make a new replicant?

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: October 09, 2017, 11:39:55 AM

I feel like Wallace's motivations didn't really make much sense, or at the very least, just weren't explained enough. "We need to make replicants breed like humans to meet production quotas/vague lofty expansionist goal" seems like a weak justification. Does it really take longer than 9 months to make a new replicant?

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #91 on: October 09, 2017, 12:50:38 PM

I'd imagine the difference is that the existing replicant factories are not themselves self-replicating.  Linear scaling vs geometric scaling.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #92 on: October 09, 2017, 01:22:25 PM

Now that I think about it, you are correct. So if it takes literally a few days at most (judging by that replication however flawed), it does not make sense that doing replicatants the old fashioned way is a necessary thing other than to Wallace's own vanity. I mean, I suppose that could be a motivation, it's just not a good one. We don't really get to see enough of him to do anything other than guess at whether his motivations are what he says they are.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #93 on: October 09, 2017, 01:24:04 PM

Except Replicants still eat, drink and use resources don't they?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #94 on: October 09, 2017, 01:28:11 PM

And the more I think about it, the less it makes sense to make replicants that have a normal human lifespan anyway. Why the fuck would you make something that gradually wears down and dies if you can just enforce an arbitrary time limit on them (the forced obsolescence of Microsoft Windows in fleshy form) both as a means of selling new models and keeping the current ones in line?

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: October 09, 2017, 02:46:43 PM

None if it makes sense, don't try to force it. Just try to internalise Leto and Wright's monologues and feel the power of your deep philosophical insights.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #96 on: October 09, 2017, 07:25:23 PM

No.

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: October 09, 2017, 10:59:43 PM

IIRC he mentioned something along the lines of trillions needed and the point was to colonize the galaxy but I can't remember the exact line or how explicit that was.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: October 10, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

If replicants take a year to make and only last 4 years, then you are better off with just using humans, especially in an overpopulation type environment.

Hic sunt dracones.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: October 10, 2017, 06:34:08 AM

If replicants take a year to make and only last 4 years, then you are better off with just using humans, especially in an overpopulation type environment.

Replicants can do heavier labour in much harsh environments with less supply needs. Also I don't think we know if 2049 replicants have 4 year lives still. Did they say that about Gosling's character?
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #100 on: October 10, 2017, 07:13:34 AM

The opening text crawl says that they've done away with the four-year lifespan bit.
Stewie
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: October 10, 2017, 08:53:56 AM

I got the feeling that Wallace's motivation was pure ego/god delusion.

Overall, I loved the movie. I thought it was brilliantly crafted and acted. Even though it was longer than the original, to me it felt tighter. Like every scene mattered and was there to drive the story. Nothing dragged.

Ive seen some reviews complaining about the Joi plotline and saying that it was irrelevant (one even said something along the lines of "dont even try to make sense of robots falling in love with other robots...") I felt that that plotline was integral to K's journey and being able to realize what Joi is and the contrast to what he is/wants to be.

I also loved that the movie left a lot of unanswered questions. Even though it feels like it is set up for sequels it was apparently written with no intentions of any further squeals and teh unanswered questions were intentional. The fact that it left me thinking about it much more so than I do with other movies is just more icing on the cake.

Professional Forum Lurker.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #102 on: October 10, 2017, 09:10:15 AM

I think the Joi storyline was not only the most interesting part of the movie (see Ana de Armas's utter hotness), it was absolutely vital to K's character arc. Even if I didn't like the ending, anyone who thinks it was irrelevant is not thinking very hard and missed the best part.

Stewie
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: October 10, 2017, 09:26:57 AM

I do agree, she was completely and almost distractingly hot in this movie. *note I kinda felt that way about Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman. That whole movie I just kept thinking, JFC is she hot.

Professional Forum Lurker.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #104 on: October 10, 2017, 07:04:00 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if there were some deleted scenes that gave at least a little more time to Wallace's storyline.  The only thing that really bugged me is how he just disappears at the end.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: BladeRunner 2049 - The Movie  
Jump to: