Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 05:35:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
Donate! | Subscribe! | Shop: Amazon

***DONATION DRIVE 2 HAS BEGUN:
CLICK HERE TO BURN MONEY***
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: BladeRunner 2049 - The Movie 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: BladeRunner 2049 - The Movie  (Read 6231 times)
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #105 on: October 11, 2017, 10:30:52 AM

I thought it was well worth the watch, if you can see it in Imax and don't you are screwing up. Still need a few more nights sleeping on it and of norcal not burning down to pull some more thoughts on it together.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #106 on: October 14, 2017, 09:08:12 PM

Worth a watch.  In some ways better than the first (more story), some ways less (less arresting, less novel).   Ana de Armas owned the film. 

Most amazing scene to me was the set with the two women "becoming one".
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Prevent all damage that would be dealt to you and other troops you control.

Reply #107 on: October 15, 2017, 12:04:10 AM

That was equal parts insane, disturbing, novel and amazing.

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: October 15, 2017, 04:11:58 PM

I loved this movie. It's going to definitely become a once a year watch for me.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #109 on: October 18, 2017, 12:43:05 AM

I think I loved every single part of this except sound.  I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, but the echoey dialog was very difficult to catch, and that irritatingly loud shit separating a lot of scenes was just unnecessary.  I am, however, fully willing to chalk that up to the podunk Tennessee movie theater here.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
WayAbvPar

Reply #110 on: October 18, 2017, 12:59:06 AM

I saw it in an IMAX theater and it was goddamned deafening  why so serious?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Who the hell taught you how to write? Fuck, that sentence is like internet transmitted face-attacking knives. Jesus. schild
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #111 on: October 18, 2017, 06:56:09 AM

I've started taking earplugs with me to theaters. I like loud, but it's like they're catering to the deaf. Especially in Arizona, where I suspect it's so the dead and semi-dead can hear it.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #112 on: October 18, 2017, 07:18:01 AM

Not only are most movies loud but they're getting super obnoxious with whisper-dialog then BwwwWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA horns or explosions immediately afterward.

I can't get past the panties - Alluvian
I really like the cocks. - Lantyssa
People rarely believe just how good I am at sucking. - Lantyssa
I love the swinging dongs - Signe
Teleku
Terracotta Army

http://tinyurl.com/d89qk7g

Reply #113 on: October 18, 2017, 10:03:38 AM

As somebody who is now hearing impaired, I feel they don't pump the volume up near enough.   why so serious?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #114 on: October 18, 2017, 08:10:14 PM

Sound design was a weakness and the score was a major major weakness. It contributed greatly to the feeling that you were just on the verge of something that would plunge you back into the original movie and kept you thinking about the original movie way too much which was unneeded because the callbacks and story were fine and the new movie was good enough to stand and do its own thing.

While it wasn't the perfect film the only thing that really let down the other parts for me was the soundtrack. Though I could be talked into Leto's character being a weakness especially if you didn't watch the short films that bridged the new to the original.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
BobtheSomething
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: October 18, 2017, 08:54:44 PM

Why would we watch the short films?  We were supposed to do homework before going to the movie?  How much time do I need to invest before I find anything of value in Leto('s performance)?

If I need to see some online shit or read a comic before I enter the theater in order to get the movie, the movie is a failure.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #116 on: October 19, 2017, 07:45:13 PM

Why would we watch the short films?  We were supposed to do homework before going to the movie?  How much time do I need to invest before I find anything of value in Leto('s performance)?

If I need to see some online shit or read a comic before I enter the theater in order to get the movie, the movie is a failure.

Ohhhhh, I see.

Read what I wrote, I can accept that you didn't like his character and that's fine and while I had no major problem with it personally I allow for it not being the strongest bit. I even tried to be diplomatic and imagine that the short films that all dealt with him and his company helped me in that regard. That the movie was a failure because of that or any reason really just proves you have taste that is as bad as your posting style.

-William Gibson
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #117 on: October 20, 2017, 11:52:32 PM

Leto barely had any impact at all.  It sounds like you're just looking for an excuse to hate something he's in.

I expected more Leto in the film, honestly.  When he essentially compared himself to god, a couple huffy old people got up and left muttering about heresy or some shit.  That made everything worthwhile in my book.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #118 on: October 21, 2017, 11:29:53 AM

Frankly, as little as he was in the movie, it might've made more sense to have his replicant over-interpret his ideas and do all of the rest on her own, thinking that she was carrying out his will.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #119 on: October 21, 2017, 04:49:03 PM

I just saw this tonight and I am goddam overwhelmed. Like literally, I'm replaying parts of it in my head and it's hitting me in emotional ways.

I'll agree with the criticisms of the music, it wasn't bad music (Alien: Covenant, I'm looking at you) but I was definitely listening for callbacks to the Vangelis theme from the original and constantly being disappointed by the fact that they weren't there. Also, the music was almost permanently doing high-drama, danger music. Which is partly due to the very dense nature of the film with very limited pauses between plot beats, but it meant that it tended to undersell the truly suspenseful scenes as a result.

The plot was fine but this is a movie driven by characters and not by plot. It was coherent and the twists were genuinely good. I bought K being the child and was trying to figure out how to rationalise that, I realised it couldn't be rationalised so there had to be something else (mostly because I couldn't imagine how a known replicant with no serial numbers gets to be a Blade Runner). I didn't figure out that it was Stelline though until K and Deckard were talking after the fight.

Visuals were great. I liked the bleaker, colder visual design for this one. I liked the original's set design too, but this showed an evolution in fashions and also in the general environment that made sense to me given the 30 year gap in the timelines of the two. There were some nice callbacks such as Mariette having a similar look as Pris, the Tyrell buildng and the flying cars. Ridley Scott sure does like his mind-blowingly rich guys living in an austere Zen palace theme though.

It was a very long movie but I really didn't feel that it was padded at all, if anything I thought it was too dense, there were no pauses to let the viewer assimilate the latest plot beat. I didn't really get what Leto's character was doing either but he was clearly not on the same plane as everyone else so him being fairly inscrutable was fine. I think it would have been weaker if he'd had a mundane motivation that was laid out clearly.  He and Luv made a good nemesis I thought. Wallace as the guy who's playing a game you don't know the rules to, and Luv as his hyper-competent executor. I disagree with the statement that the villain was toothless. They demonstrated early on in the movie that they can do pretty much whatever they like up to and including murdering police officers inside a police facility. From the time that K first meets Luv, it was clear that these are not people to fuck with.

In the end though the film is more than just the characters progressing through the story. It opens questions and it made me think about the issues raised in the film. It's been a while since that happened - and the last time was also a Villeneuve movie (Arrival).

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: BladeRunner 2049 - The Movie  
Jump to: