Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:36:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2  (Read 28999 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #35 on: May 08, 2017, 07:04:29 AM

A good movie. Once again MARVEL shows how bad DC is at what they are doing.

When you are nothing but ashamed of your source material you can never, ever make a good movie/ TV series/ Comic. This has been DC's flaw for a long time when it comes to their properties. Not just the corporate bloat of being owned by WB but someone in the chain being embarrassed by 'these damn comics' and making stupid, flawed decisions.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: May 08, 2017, 07:13:22 AM

A good movie. Once again MARVEL shows how bad DC is at what they are doing. I thought the director was pretty good at keeping all the balls juggling and my favourite character was the Ravanger .

He wasn't just a red shirt though, he's been the funny ravager since the first movie.

I am the .00000001428%
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: May 08, 2017, 07:32:24 AM

He's also played by James Gunn's brother!

And he's also Rocket's on set stand in. Dude was busy in this movie.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #38 on: May 08, 2017, 08:43:37 AM

He's also played by James Gunn's brother!

Yeah I told my buddy that today and he was surprised. Those two really look alike and I'm actually kind of shocked that the guy did such a good job with that role.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #39 on: May 08, 2017, 11:22:47 AM

I also endorse this movie.  Honestly not sure whether I like 1 or 2 better; I feel like they each had strengths and weaknesses relative to one another.  As others have said, my biggest complaint about this one would be the exposition needed to explain all the character arcs, but the fact that every character had an arc was pretty cool since most movies can't seem to manage even one of those.

One of my favorite moments in the movie might have been Yondu zipping up after (implicitly) fucking a sex robot.  It was actually kinda heartbreaking and I was surprised to see a scene like that in one of the more kid-oriented Marvel movies.

I really liked the Sovereign.  They fit a similar role of "nerdy antagonist that is not a serious threat" that the Nova Core did for much of the first movie, but I thought they were way more entertaining and I'm glad it looks like we'll be getting more of them.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: May 08, 2017, 12:37:03 PM

Really great movie, loved every bit of it. But this is F13, so I'm going to bitch about how Kurt shouldn't have melted into sandlike shit at the end since he was composed of actual organic matter. This ruined the whole movie for me.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: May 08, 2017, 01:56:33 PM

Really great movie, loved every bit of it. But this is F13, so I'm going to bitch about how Kurt shouldn't have melted into sandlike shit at the end since he was composed of actual organic matter. This ruined the whole movie for me.
There we go!  Thanks for bringing this thread home.

Sean Gunn is a pretty solid character actor.  He did great work in shows like Gilmore Girls.  I don't think his role in GotG 3 will be bigger than his role was in this movie.  He'll be there, he'll have some good moments - some of which he may knock out of the park - but he won't be a Guardian.  He'll be a foil and support character.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: May 08, 2017, 11:29:46 PM

Maybe, maybe not.

The final showdown scene occurs after Ego has hastily assembled a new body after Rocket pretty much obliterated his "original" one by landing mining pod on it.  Like, literally built a brand new body in about a minute. It may very well be "organic matter" but we have absolutely no idea if it really needs to obey any of our established ideas about how it should behave, since it is basically created and maintained by a gigantic super-telekinetic god-brain-thing.  I mean, in all honesty, nitpicking about the body disintegrating in an unusual fashion is about as dumb as asking why the planet had to explode just because we turned off the brain that built it.  It's been rock solid matter for eons.  Ego made rocks.  Why exactly should those rocks explode or disintegrate just because he is no longer around to keep an eye on them?

Personally, I loved the movie.  If I had to pick any one thing to nitpick about, it would be the fact that nobody bothered to question why Ego looked human.    Ego made a body.  Ego set off to discover if there was any other intelligent life in the universe.  Somehow Ego made a body that looked exactly like a human WAYYYYY before he ever possibly could have seen one?   How did none of them manage to pick up on that gigantic gaping flaw in his monologue?  The best part is where he doesn't even adjust the display simulation during monologue part 2 when he is depicting himself hooking up with all the other alien races. 
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 11:37:41 PM by SurfD »

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: May 09, 2017, 06:04:51 AM

It's fun to imagine Kurt Russel banging the entire galaxy.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: May 09, 2017, 06:10:28 AM

Yeah, I was also wondering how he knew to make himself look human, but the image of Kurt Russell cutting a swath through the galaxy's babes is hilarious.

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: May 09, 2017, 06:26:03 AM

Yeah, I was also wondering how he knew to make himself look human, but the image of Kurt Russell cutting a swath through the galaxy's babes is hilarious.

He didn't know. He said in his monologue that's what he imagined life to look like. And given that pretty much everything in that Universe looks very humanoid he had a good hunch I guess.

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: May 09, 2017, 06:58:04 AM

Well to be honest it's obvious ego had Peter last which likely means his very first form was nothing even close to human, the images were all for Peter's benefit and while it doesn't seem like ego explicitly lied it sounded like he was saying things out of order or just omitting large swaths of info, something an egotistical god might do.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: May 09, 2017, 07:20:28 AM

Yeah, I think at that point in the conversation, he's still very much needing to get Peter set up for his role, so why not flatter and fast-talk him? If Ego had created hundreds of different bodies for banging females, that might immediately be a danger signal to Peter--wait, so my mom is the only one you fell in love with? the only one who had a kid with you? But if he just made one body and set off to encounter life, that's flattering enough to be distracting.
Also on Mantis:
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: May 09, 2017, 08:24:06 AM

re Mantis
And it seemed clear Ego was trying to flatter Peter. It's less clear whether he did actually have some sort of feelings for Peter's mother, more likely he is played as the kind of con-man who half persuades himself his lies are true and gives himself a plausible motivation for doing pretty much the opposite of what he says

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #49 on: May 09, 2017, 11:02:06 AM

I go with the "supreme egotist" motive.  He had an identity crisis and resolved it by doing that rather than changing his identity.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: May 09, 2017, 02:46:05 PM

Honestly it could be either but I appreciate that, even in a relatively dumb popcorn movie with some seriously on the nose character development moments, the writers left enough room for the actor to leave multiple plausible motivations. It's one little aspect I think WB should take a away and wonder why, with their super serious, gritty and realistic take on Zod, Guardians of the Galaxy II, a movie featuring a baby tree creature, managed a more nuanced and human villain than they did. I mean far more cartoonish and ridiculous but somehow still more complex.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #51 on: May 09, 2017, 02:56:45 PM

On the 'being humanoid' bit it was pretty funny that during his big monologue the little diorama changed and showed the same young Curt Russell figure in the red jacket making out with all manner of non-humanoid aliens.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #52 on: May 09, 2017, 03:08:43 PM

I mean, we have established that Star-Lord has banged a lot of alien chicks, so clearly that's not a thing that's unheard of.  But yeah I think that was for his benefit.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #53 on: May 09, 2017, 05:12:56 PM

I actually think it was a bit of a joke by the filmmakers.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #54 on: May 09, 2017, 07:15:01 PM

The filmmakers are geniuses. Not only did they make a talking racoon and a talking mono-lined tree the most endearing characters in the first movie, they somehow made a living planet with a giant face on it work onscreen and not be utterly ridiculous. That's just brilliant work.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: May 09, 2017, 07:19:42 PM

I saw this tonight and enjoyed it. My one major complaint, that most of you share, is that the writing was clumsy with all the exposition.

Character 1: Let me explain your arc character 2
Character 2: Wow...you're right! Thank you character 1!

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: May 09, 2017, 07:28:56 PM

Yeah. I think they worked a bit hard on giving everyone an arc. It's ok to have some characters be the C-3P0, etc.--background, comic relief, etc. I get that it was all about family though. Raccoon felt to me the most forced of them--he could just be kind of an asshole and they could leave it at that.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #57 on: May 09, 2017, 07:44:29 PM

I just now realized that Yondu ended up acting as a father figure to both Star-Lord and Rocket.  Which kinda makes them brothers.  I think that's awwww.

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: May 10, 2017, 12:22:47 AM

Something else that just popped into my head after catching the second Ego / Peter dialogue again at work:  Peter never knew his father, right?  As in, from what we know, Ego had never made an appearance in his life after Peter was born, since Peter claims to have absolutely no idea what his father looked like or anything like that.  So how did Ego know to taunt Peter with the brief Hasslehoff appearance he made in that scene?  That personal quirk of Peter's psyche should have been something that developed well after Ego was presumably long out of the picture.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 04:57:01 AM by SurfD »

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: May 10, 2017, 04:19:42 AM

When does Peter tell Gamora about Hasselhoff? (Or have her remind him that she told him about it?) I think Ego can listen in to most conversations if he cares to, since the planet *is* him. He may not be doing it always if his focus is elsewhere, but up to the point where he starts his plan in motion, he's likely listening to or monitoring Peter constantly. Now as for how he knows what Hasselhoff looks like, well. He did go to Earth after Peter was born, I think, if we buy his claims, so...
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: May 10, 2017, 04:58:04 AM

I thought he had that convo with Gamora on the planet they crashed on, before they decided to split up the team and go with Ego.  She was the one who brought it up when Peter was questioning if Ego really was the one.  Might be wrong on the timing, but if that is the case, that would make it a decent bit difficult for Ego to have been eavesdropping on them.  On the other hand, Peter did have the Hoff picture on him the whole time, so maybe Ego put 2 and 2 together.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 05:01:16 AM by SurfD »

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #61 on: May 10, 2017, 05:43:15 AM

Or Mantis told Ego, or it's a tiny plot-hole created by a pretty funny Hasselhoff cameo and you're looking too deeply into it.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: May 10, 2017, 06:33:52 AM

It was also after Peter was connected to the Universe like Ego.  Who fucking knows what they shared in that mess.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: May 10, 2017, 08:37:07 AM

All know of the Hoff.  It is known.

Watched it again last night.  It isn't flawless, but even the flaws work in a Gunn film.  I was surprised at how much the scene at the end of the movie choked up EVERYONE in the theater.  I'd love to see an nightvision recording of audiences watching that one heartfelt scene...

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: May 10, 2017, 09:12:11 AM

I saw this tonight and enjoyed it. My one major complaint, that most of you share, is that the writing was clumsy with all the exposition.

Character 1: Let me explain your arc character 2
Character 2: Wow...you're right! Thank you character 1!

I just figure James Gunn wanted to remove any chance of having the read threads on reddit starting with, "I don't understand why..." -- at least as far as the character relationships go.

People seem to need stuff spelled out lately...
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: May 10, 2017, 02:22:16 PM

What do you mean by that?

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: May 10, 2017, 02:26:36 PM

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: May 11, 2017, 02:59:32 AM

What do you mean by that?

They jumped into action too quickly and didn't let you grow to care about the characters before they were put in jeopardy.  That is why we don't care about them and it feels a bit flat.  On a second viewing you care a bit more about the characters because you spent the first viewing with them.  They'd have been wise to have spent a few more moments with the characters to make them endearing - an exchange between Jyn Erso and a fellow prisoner that gave us insight into who she had become before we see the 'jail break' could have done a lot to draw us into the film.  As long as we connect to Jyn, the film works.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: May 11, 2017, 03:47:03 AM

Heh. Although, my comments in the Rogue One thread were more about getting attached to a character than they were about having things spelled out...   Had I said people were confused about who Jyn Erso was and didn't follow the story because of that confusion it would more in line with the exposition fest discussion here. Hoowever, everyone got who Jyn was... we just hadn't bonded to her quickly. We didn't get that Starland dancing to the Infinity Stone scene equivalent in Rogue One for Jyn.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #69 on: May 11, 2017, 04:56:21 PM

See it. I don't think its as good as 1 as a movie but I do think it was enjoyable throughout visually and story-wise as a feel good thing.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2  
Jump to: