Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:42:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Wonder Woman 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wonder Woman  (Read 23286 times)
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: June 15, 2017, 01:00:58 PM

Yes, I got that. Which is what made her lack of awareness of her own sexual charisma even more baffling when thinking about it. Assume it's only self-pleasure that's the line is referring to. You're saying, yep everyone only masturbates so they're not attracted to other women and wouldn't have any awareness of their own sexual charisma and lack lust.

However we all know it's a wink and a nod to lesbianism and bisexuality. Which makes her lack of awareness just a scriptwriter throwing in a, "heh, lesbians," joke without considering the implications of the line. That makes it pretty patriarchal and separate from the interpretation of those who have latched onto it as a "go girl" moment. Wonder Woman isn't aware of her own sexuality until Rodgers brings it out of her, since she's obviously aware of it in BvS and uses it there.

Well you have to consider she is a beautiful woman from an island of beautiful women.  I am not sure how a society like that would handle sexual charisma if at all. Also she was basically the only child on the island and everybody there saw her grow up. I am sure that probably had a fair amount of impact on how others interacted with her.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: June 22, 2017, 06:06:02 PM

Yes, I got that. Which is what made her lack of awareness of her own sexual charisma even more baffling when thinking about it. Assume it's only self-pleasure that's the line is referring to. You're saying, yep everyone only masturbates so they're not attracted to other women and wouldn't have any awareness of their own sexual charisma and lack lust.

However we all know it's a wink and a nod to lesbianism and bisexuality. Which makes her lack of awareness just a scriptwriter throwing in a, "heh, lesbians," joke without considering the implications of the line. That makes it pretty patriarchal and separate from the interpretation of those who have latched onto it as a "go girl" moment. Wonder Woman isn't aware of her own sexuality until Rodgers brings it out of her, since she's obviously aware of it in BvS and uses it there.

Well you have to consider she is a beautiful woman from an island of beautiful women.  I am not sure how a society like that would handle sexual charisma if at all. Also she was basically the only child on the island and everybody there saw her grow up. I am sure that probably had a fair amount of impact on how others interacted with her.

It's pretty clear that the higher ups on the island know who and what she is. And from the way it is played, I think a lot of the Amazons equally worshipped and feared her. Just watch the training sequence.

I doubt any of them laid a finger on her for fear of what the Queen would do combined with the knowledge that she was basically alive purely to stop Ares.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #72 on: June 24, 2017, 11:16:56 PM

I thought this movie was decent.  I'm very confused about something that happens toward the end and need someone to explain it to me.

Also what happened to the battleship after that beach scene?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: June 24, 2017, 11:52:45 PM

The battleship appeared to be sinking, or at least listing very heavily to one side, so it is possible it either hit an undewater rock, or that crossing the barrier protecting Themiscrya did something to it.

As to the end:

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: June 25, 2017, 08:49:44 AM

Ares is one war God. There are others.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #75 on: June 25, 2017, 01:20:10 PM

Is/was there a Kryptonian Ares that made Zod into an asshole?

I just have so many problems with this entire premise.  The movie was still fun though.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: June 25, 2017, 01:22:03 PM

Ares was a long time WoWo comic book foe.

Hic sunt dracones.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #77 on: June 25, 2017, 05:14:43 PM

It makes sense if he's a recurring behind-the-scenes villain who various wars and atrocities can be blamed on when the need arises, but if he's the ultimate source of all evil in the world and you kill him, you kind of have a problem telling any more stories after that.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #78 on: June 25, 2017, 07:15:52 PM

The point they made was that he WASN'T the source of all mankind's evil, nor even of the war itself. He stokes the flames, he massages it here and there, but just getting rid of Ares wont end all wars because the problem is with mankind. I do think his defeat might have released some of the natural aggression he causes in those around him, and the Germans hugging the Americans at the end was meant to be a sign of that. That part of it even made me blink a little in the theater, it took me out of the movie immediately.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #79 on: June 25, 2017, 07:41:44 PM

They also just watched two gods go at it, so maybe they were all just like "holy fuck dudes why are we messing around".

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: June 25, 2017, 07:59:34 PM

They also showed those German soldiers to be basically kids, fighting a war they probably wanted no part of.  Whether historically accurate or not, I did get where they were going with it but really my biggest problem was the ending slugfest with british Ares, just seemed poorly implemented plus Area escaping without the fight and having her fight be with something else would have set up a sequel better.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: June 25, 2017, 11:50:47 PM

If you take the view that Ares can cause War, but is not the source of all war, then the story works just fine. Under that view, Ares inflamed the Germans to war in this version of World War 1, but when he was lost the Germans lost the inflammation he was bringing. It was sloppy, but so much In these superhero movies ends up needing a sloppy answer to wrap it up within a reasonable time.

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: June 26, 2017, 03:38:44 AM

This movie had great direction and a good script. But the story board sucked balls. This is a horrible jumping point for any future wonder woman movies.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: June 26, 2017, 05:49:52 AM

This movie had great direction and a good script. But the story board sucked balls. This is a horrible jumping point for any future wonder woman movies.

I'm pretty sure they made the movie thinking a sequel wasn't even a possibility, it seems very self contained.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #84 on: June 26, 2017, 06:08:47 AM

Yep, it was meant as a 'shut the fuck up,' one-off to appease the public complaining that only Bats and Supes got movies. It did far better than it was expected to. Oops.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #85 on: June 26, 2017, 08:10:59 AM

And WB screwed themselves by not signing Jenkins to a multi-film contract because of that.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: June 26, 2017, 08:21:59 AM

Which means if they go crawling to her with an "um... Sequel?" offer she will be much more bullish about control over the movie. Whether WB will stand for that is a good question.

Hic sunt dracones.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #87 on: June 26, 2017, 08:25:05 AM

WB might as well point a shotgun directly into their collective faces if they don't sign Patty Jenkins up to direct at least one sequel. I mean, it's a fucking no-brainer after the success of the movie.

I expect they'll sign Michael Bay or McG to direct it any day now.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: June 26, 2017, 10:02:28 AM

What's Uwe Boll doing these days?  why so serious?

Hic sunt dracones.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: June 26, 2017, 11:24:34 AM

I thought this movie was decent.  I'm very confused about something that happens toward the end and need someone to explain it to me.

Also what happened to the battleship after that beach scene?

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: June 26, 2017, 05:39:04 PM

If not utter BS, I think this will result in BIG things in the future... you know, Later at the Hall of Justice.

http://www.syfy.com/2017-6-26/this-wonder-woman-character-has-amazing-secret

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: June 27, 2017, 01:12:06 AM

I question what would happen if you weren't here to post clickbait.  The answer may surprise you !

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #92 on: June 27, 2017, 09:15:12 AM

Ahhh, I didn't mind the clickbait, as that's a pretty interesting Easter Egg (to me at least).

Here's hoping we get

in later movies.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: June 27, 2017, 11:41:52 AM

I question what would happen if you weren't here to post clickbait.  The answer may surprise you !
If I were not here to post?  Then it would be:

F13.Net
Cynical
Commentary

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: June 27, 2017, 11:46:10 AM

Ha.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: June 27, 2017, 09:21:59 PM

I would happily worship Gal Gadot as a goddess.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Wonder Woman  
Jump to: