Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2020, 05:13:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Useless Movies 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Movies  (Read 79225 times)
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #420 on: September 28, 2019, 08:18:31 PM

Showgirls II: The Hustlin'

I wasted one of my biannual cinema experiences on this turd because my wife made me tag along to a client/work function. I was mildly interested because there was a buzz about JLo being Oscar-worthy. The client bailed halfway through and my wife was too tipsy to understand we needed to leave as well.

Terrible actors playing terrible people doing terrible things. Somewhere about 2/3 through the movie the director tries to pull some Tarantino on this absolute bucket of shit of a story. Easily the worst movie I've seen in a very long time. I would make a thread but the movie isn't worth it.

Also, negative points for one of the girls having a cat and then she gets arrested and we never find out if the cat is okay.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #421 on: October 21, 2019, 01:30:48 AM

I just happened to rewatch Scott Pilgrim vs. the World and though I had remembered that Lucas Lee was played by Captain America, I'd completely forgotten that Envy Adams and Todd Ingram were played by Captain Marvel and Superman.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #422 on: October 21, 2019, 02:03:10 AM

I kinda hated that movie, but I remember thinking at the time that it had one redeeming quality (Brie Larsen).  I am glad to see that I was on the mark about that one.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #423 on: October 23, 2019, 11:48:33 AM

The cast was fine, but I hated the movie also.

Which is a shame, because it got a lot of love from the usual crowd and I never really understood why.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #424 on: October 30, 2019, 12:53:06 PM

The cast was fine, but I hated the movie also.

Which is a shame, because it got a lot of love from the usual crowd and I never really understood why.

Because it was a fun movie that entertained me for an hour and a half?

Ohhhhh, I see.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #425 on: October 30, 2019, 02:06:47 PM

OH YEAH, THAT'LL BE IT, NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT THANKS.  I'M TOTALLY PUT RIGHT NOW.

Ohhhhh, I see.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #426 on: November 29, 2019, 05:15:18 PM

Knives Out is exactly what it seems to be, a classic old whodunnit (with a couple unique twists) with an all-star cast. Everybody seems to be having fun, and the writing is snappy. The mystery which befuddles our melodramatic sleuth is not the one you'd expect... but everyone will wind up gathered in the drawing room by the end of it. Fast, funny, impeccably acted and directed... Rian Johnson back in form, though perhaps not quite as striking as Brick was back in the day.

Enjoyed it, laughed, ah-ha'd and am happy to recommend. Not much to say about it other than that, though, so I didn't think I'd start a thread.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #427 on: December 02, 2019, 06:23:28 PM

Agreed on all counts. Solid mystery story about a lovably hateable family. Had fun throughout. Hard to talk about without spoilers.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #428 on: December 08, 2019, 02:32:08 PM

A terrific movie! Completely agree.

Expect poison from the standing water.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #429 on: February 09, 2020, 12:21:34 PM

I couldn't find a threat on it, but I finally watched The Favourite from last year with Rachel Weisz and Emma Stone. Goddamn that was good. Very odd cinematography and intentionally historically inaccurate but two great performances by great actresses (and 3 if you count the woman playing Queen Anne, which I do), great costuming and really funny in parts.

MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #430 on: April 15, 2020, 10:38:31 PM

Code8 (on Netflix now) is not terrible, but goddamn, it definitely isn't good either.  There are worse ways to kill a couple of hours, but you won't remember it in a week.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #431 on: July 14, 2020, 09:51:55 AM

The Old Guard on Netflix. Decent action sequences, a nice queer romance, and utterly fucking predictable in narrative terms. Within twenty minutes I knew everything that was going to happen. I could have stopped the film right then and written out a script outline that would have been accurate down to the fine details.

If they make a sequel, they had better start doing some actual world-building. And also, for immortals, these guys are kind of fucking dumb.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #432 on: August 01, 2020, 10:16:40 PM

Watched My Cousin Vinny with my kid the other night. Holds up pretty well--the plot is standard courtroom schmaltz but Pesci's worries about his abilities and his relationship with Marisa Tomei's character feel surprisingly grounded. I was also struck at how benevolent even the serious fuck-up by the police is made to feel despite the fact that the two young guys are facing the death penalty--that part feels like it is definitively in the past--I don't think you could play that for laughs any longer or have the sheriff and judge come off like basically nice guys who are a little too eager to send some boys to fry. Plus of course pre-Internet--somebody should do a full-scale collection of plots that depend upon the slowness and incompletion (in relative terms) of pre-online communications.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #433 on: August 02, 2020, 12:06:43 PM

Cell phones with cameras and the Internet require things like genre horror to completely rethink a lot of their tropes, or at the very least make it plainly obvious that "we have no cell service here" as a necessary plot device.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #434 on: August 02, 2020, 04:25:30 PM

Funny how in an era of ubiquitous camera phones with high-quality photos and video, every cryptozoological creature ever has apparently decided to stop being seen at all, and the kinds of UFOs that liked to buzz highways and anally probe people now and again have decided to only appear to Air Force jets.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 06:01:07 PM by Khaldun »
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #435 on: August 03, 2020, 02:48:09 PM

Cell phones with cameras and the Internet require things like genre horror to completely rethink a lot of their tropes, or at the very least make it plainly obvious that "we have no cell service here" as a necessary plot device.

And don't forget the "Oh noes I dropped my cell phone" contrivance.

Although honestly not so much a contrivance as just true to life I guess.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Useless Movies  
Jump to: