Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:12:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Useless TV 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless TV  (Read 125754 times)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #280 on: July 14, 2020, 09:16:31 AM

So, having listened to the soundtrack many times, I still got a lot out of watching the filmed version of "Hamilton".

The soundtrack is good, but it's really the stagecraft that makes that show IMO.

Having seen it live in the theater twice from the cheap seats, I still really appreciate having the filmed version because now I can actually see faces.   awesome, for real

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #281 on: July 14, 2020, 09:29:50 AM

Sorta related, while I was YouTube hopping last night, came across a CBS News video of the original Hamilton Broadway cast performing "Alexander Hamilton" for President Obama and others at the White House.  And even without the stagecraft, it was so cool.  But one of the actors looked really familiar to me.  Guy who plays a firefighter on the show Station 19 (hey, it's a guilty pleasure show!) was in the original cast.  Like, how do you go from being on Broadway in one of the biggest stage hits in years to being on a TV show?  Had to be the regular paycheck, I'm guessing.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #282 on: July 26, 2020, 01:44:18 AM

I watched all of Space Force, and it was better than the terrible reviews it generally received.  Malkovich in particular is goddamn hysterical in this, and so is the guy who plays Fuck Tony (same guy who plays Jean Ralphio in Parks and Rec, and basically the same character).  Not great, but I would like to see a second season.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #283 on: July 26, 2020, 11:53:46 PM

Anyone watch that Relics and Rarities stuff on Youtube.  I hear it is good, so going to give the first one a spin.

It took me a while to get around to it, but I finally watched some of this.  I have never played tabletop DnD, so I have nothing to compare this to...but I was utterly sucked in.  I tend to have a bit of ADD when watching stuff, but this commanded my full attention for about 6 straight hours of binging.

Deborah Ann Woll (AKA Karen Page from Marvel TV stuff) is Dungeon Master, and she is absurdly good at it from my novice perspective.  She is not acting and it is not scripted, she is a legit DnD nerd.  They have four static adventurers, and one celebrity guest that changes from each episode.

Very entertaining, and often hilarious.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #284 on: July 30, 2020, 01:36:58 PM

Probably doesn't warrant a new thread considering the show ended back in 2006 (I think) but the husband has discovered The West Wing on Netflix and I've been passively semi-watching along with him.  Besides the fact that it's an awesome show, my biggest takeaway is just how dang long the seasons feel when you have 22 episodes to play with. 

Well, that and the fact that so much of what was going on in the show is still far too topical today. :(

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #285 on: August 01, 2020, 06:54:19 AM

Any suggestions for binge worthy shows that might have escaped mainstream attention?

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #286 on: August 01, 2020, 12:48:50 PM

What even does "mainstream" mean in the age of Netflix and personalized recommendations?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #287 on: August 01, 2020, 06:30:37 PM

Any suggestions for binge worthy shows that might have escaped mainstream attention?
From Dusk Till Dawn, The Series is Supernatural with boobs every 3rd episode, so...

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #288 on: December 04, 2020, 11:48:39 AM

Weird one to drop but having never really watched it properly, I just covered seasons 2+3 of Buffy over the last couple of weeks. It was... an interesting experience. I think, those two seasons at least, were pretty well done series that definitely worked super well for weekly series shows and translates pretty well into binge watching as well. They've definitely got a variety of 'monster of the week' type episodes with metaplot ones, although plot wise my biggest issue would be that they have a few things going on fitting into a few episodes within the season so even though there's 22 episodes some character arcs end up getting squeezed into 3 or 4 episodes where things actually change and character transformations (even ones that have been telegraphed somewhat) feel pretty sudden.

The biggest thing I noticed though was just the social attitude changes, which I guess is also partly Whedon stuff. There's one episode where a coach is drugging the high school team with an experimental steroid cocktail that has the side effect of turning them into murderous fish creatures. He point blank tells Buffy he's going to throw her into a pit with them so they can rape her (iirc she says they won't be hungry any more and he says well you know boys, they've got other needs you can satisfy), which is kind of played off for laughs (because of course the Slayer is totally bad ass and can escape). It's pretty jarring, especially considering earlier one of the still human guys has Buffy in his car and sexually assaults her, which results in her getting in trouble for breaking his nose. The message coming off it is very much, 'sexual assault and mistreatment of women happens and the authorities will do nothing to stop it.' Also as I said, kind of played for laughs, which is just icky.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #289 on: December 11, 2020, 06:14:35 AM

Disney dropped a few trailers for Marvel stuff on YT and announced two Mando spinoffs, Ahsoka and Rangers of the New Republic. (Apologies if the latter was mentioned in the Mando thread, I'm a week behind and avoiding the thread for now).

I wasn't too hot on Wandavision or Falcon & Winter Soldier, but the new trailers looked better. Even the What If animation looked kind of interesting, and I don't normally go in for that stuff.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #290 on: January 13, 2021, 06:37:13 PM

Weird one to drop but having never really watched it properly, I just covered seasons 2+3 of Buffy over the last couple of weeks. It was... an interesting experience. I think, those two seasons at least, were pretty well done series that definitely worked super well for weekly series shows and translates pretty well into binge watching as well. They've definitely got a variety of 'monster of the week' type episodes with metaplot ones, although plot wise my biggest issue would be that they have a few things going on fitting into a few episodes within the season so even though there's 22 episodes some character arcs end up getting squeezed into 3 or 4 episodes where things actually change and character transformations (even ones that have been telegraphed somewhat) feel pretty sudden.

The biggest thing I noticed though was just the social attitude changes, which I guess is also partly Whedon stuff. There's one episode where a coach is drugging the high school team with an experimental steroid cocktail that has the side effect of turning them into murderous fish creatures. He point blank tells Buffy he's going to throw her into a pit with them so they can rape her (iirc she says they won't be hungry any more and he says well you know boys, they've got other needs you can satisfy), which is kind of played off for laughs (because of course the Slayer is totally bad ass and can escape). It's pretty jarring, especially considering earlier one of the still human guys has Buffy in his car and sexually assaults her, which results in her getting in trouble for breaking his nose. The message coming off it is very much, 'sexual assault and mistreatment of women happens and the authorities will do nothing to stop it.' Also as I said, kind of played for laughs, which is just icky.

Well, playing serious stuff for laughs was the way they were able to bring in that stuff at all, especially in the beginning. They were able to get a surprising amount of highly emotional material in under the radar.

Full disclosure, I'm still a pretty big fan of the show, and enjoyed it all the way through -- even the "bad" sixth season. Second and third season is especially enjoyable  as you can watch most of the newbie actors literally learning to act and come together as an ensemble cast, and in the second and third season the viewer could still be surprised at the quality of the show despite the greeness of the cast and the low production budget.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #291 on: January 14, 2021, 10:14:47 AM

After catching up on the Umbrella Academy, I went looking for something else to watch on Netflix and found The New Legends of Monkey.  It's actually a kids show from Australia/New Zealand, based on "Journey to the West".  Half hour episodes but nothing felt really rushed or skimped on, 10 episodes in S1 (which I've finished) and 10 in S2 (which I plan to start soon).  It's enjoyable and I like it, which is about all I ask for in shows, tbh.

slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #292 on: January 28, 2021, 07:04:21 PM

Been watching Fate: The Winx Saga on Netflix.  Usually I can't stand the teenager stuff, but I'm actually enjoying it.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #293 on: March 21, 2021, 09:48:50 AM

United States of Al

https://youtu.be/SQEwuapZ5RA

It's like the quota-negro is an Afghan. With horrible stereotypes. Who greenlights this?

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #294 on: March 21, 2021, 09:50:39 AM

It's on CBS - almost all of their shows are made for people my dad's age.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #295 on: March 21, 2021, 10:19:07 AM

It’s from Chuck Lorre — most of his shows are all about milking stereotypes for laughs (tracks).
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #296 on: March 21, 2021, 11:47:49 AM

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #297 on: April 29, 2021, 08:29:32 PM

We just watched the entire run of Blackadder, all of them. The first season sucks, the rest are funny. There is stuff that doesn't work at all any longer, but no shock there, I think. The last episode of the World War I season is still as fucking devastating as it ever was. I think the kicker for me now as in the past is when Hugh Laurie's character suddenly flips to being rather serious about not wanting to die after having been an upper-class idiot to that point. That's where you really know what's coming.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #298 on: April 30, 2021, 01:26:59 PM

I disagree about the first season. I think it's hilarious. How can you not like Brian Blessed's king? It's a lot more silly than the other seasons but I still think it's good. My favorite is still the second season, though. That felt like all the pieces merged perfectly.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #299 on: April 30, 2021, 01:44:15 PM

Yes, Blessed is fantastic. It's just that the whole thing didn't really fully click until the second season.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #300 on: April 30, 2021, 02:33:59 PM

That I can agree with - it's clear they were still trying to figure out what kind of show it was during first season.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #301 on: May 11, 2021, 11:10:26 AM

I couldn't get past the first episode of Jupiter's Legacy. Does it get any better? It just seemed kind of corny with really bad acting/actors.

-Rasix
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #302 on: May 11, 2021, 12:02:30 PM

I couldn't get past the first episode of Jupiter's Legacy. Does it get any better? It just seemed kind of corny with really bad acting/actors.

I'm up to ep 5 or 6? and I enjoy the flashback stuff, the current era parts of the show are lame because of how pants on head retarded the "code" is.

I am the .00000001428%
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #303 on: June 28, 2021, 05:07:40 PM

I'm up to ep 5 or 6? and I enjoy the flashback stuff, the current era parts of the show are lame because of how pants on head retarded the "code" is.

I'm at the same spot.  They writers are clearly stealing inspired by the Godfather II with the switch between the two timelines.  I would rate it at 7 out of 10, much like the rest of Netflix's content.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #304 on: June 28, 2021, 05:09:07 PM

Kid is enjoying a re-watch of Farscape. She's more surly about B5, even with me skipping the bad episodes.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #305 on: June 28, 2021, 05:17:16 PM

Kid is enjoying a re-watch of Farscape. She's more surly about B5, even with me skipping the bad episodes.

did you try the BSG reboot yet?

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #306 on: June 28, 2021, 06:08:40 PM

Nope. Probably next on the list, though.
DevilsAdvocate25
Terracotta Army

Reply #307 on: July 02, 2021, 12:12:33 PM

What are heroes without a code?

The biggest thing that bothered me was that they were sending out the younger heroes without showing/explaining how they were trained and without pairing them up. When the mom finds the girl hero with a critical injury, I thought, where is her partner? It doesn't seem like they put any effort or time into ensuring that the new heroes are trained or protected.

The majority of the flashback stuff could have been removed. I didn't really need to see the entire journey. A montage would have worked fine once they got together on the boat.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #308 on: July 02, 2021, 01:27:54 PM

A montage would have worked fine once they got together on the boat.
Obligatory https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFrMLRQIT_k

I wish those two could wrap their humor and serious commentary into a more palatable presentation. The fiancee loves their writing but hates cartoons and puppets.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #309 on: July 06, 2021, 05:06:42 AM

I just wanted to say I just heard of a live action 'Powerpuff Girls' TV series in production. And I just needed a place where I could mention it and then go AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Thank you.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12976292/

Hic sunt dracones.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #310 on: July 12, 2021, 08:02:02 AM

I'm pretty sure it was cancelled or 'reworked' after the first episode. It needs to just be binned.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #311 on: September 24, 2021, 01:31:58 PM

So, anyone other than me gotten really into the UK's Taskmaster show?
BobtheSomething
Terracotta Army

Reply #312 on: September 26, 2021, 09:23:33 AM

How is Farscape for children?  My son is 10 and really enjoys TNG and Stargate SG1.  We’re saving Babylon 5 until he’s in middle school, though, because it’s probably a bit too nuanced for him to follow,
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #313 on: September 26, 2021, 11:41:28 AM

How is Farscape for children?  My son is 10 and really enjoys TNG and Stargate SG1.  We’re saving Babylon 5 until he’s in middle school, though, because it’s probably a bit too nuanced for him to follow,
Not...ideal. 

I'd say 13-14 at the earliest. Mostly due to violence, torture, etc.

The main characters do not have a pleasant life, you know?
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #314 on: September 27, 2021, 10:37:37 AM

Babylon 5 is going to rebooted, written and directed by JMS himself!  Heart  Heart Heart

https://gizmodo.com/babylon-5-is-getting-rebooted-with-j-michael-straczyn-1847752907/

I am not sure how can redo this show and do it justice. But hopefully it works. Maybe it will be changed enough so it's not a complete 1:1 redo. Else it would be very hard not to instinctively & constantly compare the new actors to the the "real Londo" "real Vir" "real Delenn" etc..
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 10:45:32 AM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Useless TV  
Jump to: