Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:20:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Civilization VI 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Civilization VI  (Read 86131 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #210 on: December 13, 2018, 08:55:02 AM

My guess is internal teams. If this is the case, there is at least one internal team that REALLY fucking sucks and needs to be shuttered entirely (the one that made the alpha centauri remake abortion).
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #211 on: August 24, 2020, 11:17:44 AM

So is the consensus that Rise and Fall is a solid addition to the game, but Gathering Storm and random natural disasters makes the game worse?

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
WayAbvPar

Reply #212 on: August 30, 2020, 12:43:54 PM

The random disasters are just stupid, especially in Apocalypse mode. I have sunk hundreds of hours into this game and still am not sure I even really like it. So many bad design decisions.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #213 on: August 30, 2020, 03:13:58 PM

Same. I try it now and again and every time I'm close to liking it something really undoes me. Notably they just seem to have completely given up on having the personalities and goals of the leaders even remotely inform their diplomacy.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #214 on: August 30, 2020, 08:30:38 PM

Same. I try it now and again and every time I'm close to liking it something really undoes me. Notably they just seem to have completely given up on having the personalities and goals of the leaders even remotely inform their diplomacy.

I don't have any of the expansions yet, and am playing it with a nostalgic eye of having last played a CIV during CIV 3, but I do see definite personalities for the different leaders - perhaps because I'm just playing it on King level and they let the leaders be a bit more eccentric?

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #215 on: August 30, 2020, 08:47:37 PM

They have completely distinct personalities and then in diplomacy after a while they'll completely ignore *really* strong commitments in ways that seem arbitrary. You'll also get a ton of rando messages later in the game from them bitching about commitments that you haven't violated and they HAVE. It starts to feel completely stupid past a certain point.
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #216 on: September 01, 2020, 09:40:08 AM

Not to nit pick, but that has been my experience in every single Civ game to this point.

The computer will build a city within a golf drive of my capital. I Build a new city on the other side of my empire from them. They phone me up to tell me not to found cities near them. Or: I am moving troops through my own borders, no where near the aggrieved party. They phone me up to ask if this is a hostile action. Later in the game, they then attempt to pull an Operation Barbarossa on me. The diplomacy in the Civ series has always been fucking scuffed and it irritates the shit out of me. Firaxis say they are going to improve it every time, and many of their cheerleaders clap along with them, but it never gets fixed. The problem is, in a game and genre that takes 500 plus turns, and 35-40 hours for a game play through, by the time the multiple reps required to see the issues are done, many people have already moved on.

More pertinent to your point though, yes in Civ 6 they, on the surface, appeared to give even more weight to how leaders 'act".
Gilgamesh's unique agenda is called Ally of Enkidu. He likes civilizations who are willing to form a long term alliance, and dislikes anyone denouncing or attacking his friends or allies.
When in reality, they all seem to have less diverging personalities then they did before. Which is galling, because it was slim pickin's to begin with.

Civ 6 was one of my biggest gaming disappointments, and that is saying a lot as someone on this board (we who have witnessed the MMO gold rush of the 2000s). From its pathetic difficulty unmodded, to its pigeon holing methods of victory, to the overall cartoony look they are increasing leaning into. Like, the whole point of playing the series is to face off against the Mongols in, say industrial or modern, and imagine Genghis Khan as some alternate universe Napolean, or Stalin, or even go the other way and pretend you are some sort of fascist Mayan state, fighting the Battle of Britain vs a defiant Korea. But that is hard to do when all the leaders look like cartoony Facebook game fare.

The random disasters are just stupid, especially in Apocalypse mode. I have sunk hundreds of hours into this game and still am not sure I even really like it. So many bad design decisions.

Here's the weird part: they said they already learned this lesson. There is an interview with a Civ dev, where they talk about a great idea they had for the franchise. Basically, you would build up your civ, then a hardcore random disaster would strike and you would have to spend most of the game rebuilding your smashed dreams. They thought they would beam with pride at how their players showed fortitude in picking themselves up from the ashes. Only problem was. They playtested it and people despised it. They kept trying to reload and avoid the event, and had had little interest in watching everything they had built be wrecked so devs could see how much resolve they had. So, the developers shelved the idea. Sorry, I can't find that interview atm, I will post it if Ido.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 11:20:46 AM by Ashamanchill »

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #217 on: September 02, 2020, 11:40:28 AM

I tried Civ 6. Honestly, I'm not sure why, but I just could not get into it.

I think part of the draw with something like that is telling your own story in your head. How you were forced to become a world conquering Fascist because everyone just would not bloody stop attacking you so you have to go HULK SMASH to stop the 2 sides of your empire getting wrecked. The one Civ game I really remember was one where I took over Africa, attacked Europe and was beaten back, so I built a line of fortifications along where the Suez canal is now, and hunkered down thinking I would rebuild and try again later. And spent the next 2000 years on complete defense mode scrambling to keep 4 other empires out and balancing the resources between research and military and making hard choices.

With Civ 6 though... you just have to juggle too many balls for that to work. You cant tell a story when you are trying to fend off 6 different ways to lose.

Hic sunt dracones.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Civilization VI  
Jump to: