Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:28:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: The "WoW in 2016" Thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The "WoW in 2016" Thread  (Read 91201 times)
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #35 on: March 07, 2016, 10:35:46 PM

Or because WoW fucked them off one way or another to a point of not coming back. There's lots of games these days that are online and offer some form of persistence as well.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: March 08, 2016, 12:02:33 AM

Or because WoW fucked them off one way or another to a point of not coming back. There's lots of games these days that are online and offer some form of persistence as well.

This pretty sums up my friends and guildies. We didn't stop playing because we ran out of things to do. We quit before getting flying in Draenor because the game is pedestrian and there are better online and offline games out there.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: March 10, 2016, 05:18:47 PM

The lack of flying was kinda the last straw for me as well.  I came back last during early Draenor because of a friend.  I didn't even do that much of the new stuff for a long time - I entertained myself soloing old raid stuff, it was actually pretty fun.  But then there came the point where I started seriously working on the new stuff and realized they didn't have flight in Draenor at all, and after that I just didn't have much of any interest in going on.  I hadn't even done much of any of the zones, and in the end I never did because running around on the ground was too annoying.

Funny thing is, the engine can clearly handle aerial combat; there's several quests where they have some kind of aerial combat gimmick, and the engine acknowledges positioning well enough, not to mention underwater and aerial is basically identical except you feel like you're moving faster in the air.  So instead of denying flying, if they feel it bypasses too much challenge, they should have just started designing aerial combat that wasn't just gimmicks.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: March 24, 2016, 05:09:22 AM

Came back a week ago after about a two-month break, and it's really not all bad.  I didn't feel the pain of the flying gripes I saw here were, as the only place I'm really at is Tanaan Jungle.  It feels like this zone is created with your complaints in mind, because it feels like it has a ridiculous amount of flight paths right to the quest hubs.  At least it's not like it's EPL or something.  The only thing you can't do is fly around rare-farming, but who cares to do this unless they are grinding out their legendary rings?

With that being said, I quickly remembered why I struggle to stay involved in this game.  I have been raiding off and on since vanilla, and I inevitably hit the raiding wall of LFR->too easy, Regulars w/ PUGs->too easy, Heroics w/PUGs->insanely hard.  I just don't have the time in my life anymore to spend 9 hours a week smashing down progression bosses. 

TL;DR:  It's worth $15 if you're looking for something to do for three weeks.  You'll struggle to stay for more than six.

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: April 18, 2016, 12:08:56 PM

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #40 on: April 18, 2016, 12:48:10 PM

November 2014 to August 2016. Around 2 years. Same as usual.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #41 on: April 18, 2016, 01:11:52 PM

Why is this not in the graveyard yet?

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: April 18, 2016, 01:34:27 PM

Same reason Eve isn't.

Hic sunt dracones.
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: April 18, 2016, 02:41:53 PM

I can barely muster a shrug at this point. For the first time in 10 years of playing I have almost no care to play even for a month.

On another note, there has been a petition circling encouraging Blizzard to develop "classic" servers so players can experience the pain in the ass joy of vanilla WoW all over again. Mark Kern (former Blizzard employee and Red 5 CEO) has said that he will personally deliver the petition to Mike Morhaime if it reaches 200,000 signatures.

Petition:

https://www.change.org/p/mike-morhaime-legacy-server-among-world-of-warcraft-community?recruiter=522873458&lang=en-GB

Mark Kern tweet:

https://twitter.com/Grummz/status/720971362748145664

If they get to 200,000 signatures I'm assuming Blizzard has to at least make a forum post about how they aren't going to do it right?
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: April 18, 2016, 03:14:02 PM

Why is this not in the graveyard yet?

It's still the biggest MMO in the world, though, is it not?  If we're tossing WoW in the trash, why even bother with an MMOG discussion forum?  Genre looks like it's dying, and it's not like anyone thinks Crowfall (or whoever) is going to pull in ten million subs and suddenly make everything amazing again.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: May 11, 2016, 01:32:11 AM

Legion Alpha is shutting down this week. Beta to go live Thursday. For the handful of you out there still interested, check your Bnet client to see if you got added to the Alpha/Beta, as invites and account flagging is going out now.

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: May 11, 2016, 01:34:13 PM

I resubbed since I hadn't played since Cata and apparently they gave me all the expansions.  I just used the 90 token on my Death Knight and a bunch of shit has changed over the last couple years.  I feel lost lol.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #47 on: May 13, 2016, 03:33:32 PM

I have apparently been offered the Draenor expansion for free + 7 days of time.

Yeah, nah.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: May 14, 2016, 02:40:20 AM

Logged in - boosted a character to 90, logged out :D

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: May 14, 2016, 03:18:47 PM

Yeah, nah.
Same here. Was a little surprised. A free 7 day trial OF the expansion, sure. But the whole thing, free?
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #50 on: May 14, 2016, 05:10:50 PM

They're desperate for people to come back. I haven't subbed since last October but I got a Beta invite to Legion. I haven't gotten a legit beta invite for an expansion since WOTLK, and I was given that by a friend of a friend who worked at Blizzard. A wave 1 beta to an expired account? There's too few people left.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: May 14, 2016, 05:23:11 PM

Yeah, nah.
Same here. Wasn't worth reinstalling.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: May 14, 2016, 06:34:45 PM

Oh, it's for free?

Huh.

Nah, not going to bother.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #53 on: May 17, 2016, 05:58:24 AM

They ruined the game too long ago for almost anybody that's left to care. The next step is to offer launch servers without any expansions, and roll back to the original game before all the Cata updates.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: May 17, 2016, 06:00:43 AM

I've said it before, but a progression server going from Vanilla to WotLK would get me back for a year or so.

Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: May 17, 2016, 06:45:17 AM

I'm not saying they'll never do it, but WoW would have to be on life support for that to happen. So maybe eventually, but I think Blizzard is adamant about "not splitting their playerbase" despite the fact that most people who would play on such a server aren't subscribed anyway. I'm also one of those people who would play on a server like that.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: May 17, 2016, 06:58:48 AM

Is it not on life support now?

Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: May 17, 2016, 07:48:34 AM

Right now it is, but I think Legion will revive it however briefly. I have no interest in the expansion but I think there are still lots of people who will buy it. Then it depends on whether people stay for longer than a month.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #58 on: May 17, 2016, 08:37:39 AM

Beta Report:

They've fucked up all the classes I cared about. Also, Hooray Pally status for nearly all classes. A total rework each expansion of just how you do shit.

DK is a mess and I have no idea what I'm doing. Plagues, boils, claws, wtf is this shit? Although removal of rune "Types" is a nice QOL improvement, I have no idea how to DPS anymore and there's no method to learn the new system in game. I'm past the days of researching forums to play a goddamn game I'm paying monthly for.

Hunter with melee is garbage and Beast Hunter is laughable based on a few hours playing with them. Didn't try Marks yet but I'm generally ok with the resoruces refreshing rather than the steady shot spam now. I just wish I knew why certain things were lighting up on my bar and how I get them to light-up faster. Mechanics are opaque and even tooltips don't help because I can see NO reason why Feral Beast lights up.

Demon Hunter is OP. That's to be expected with a new class. It starts at 98 and there's a little tutorial instance with backstory like the DKs have. In all it's a pretty fun class, though I'm sure it will get nerfed to hell.

Phasing is all fucked up. They say that it was working in Alpha so it must be the influx of people and it's having a hard time keeping track of things.

Nice QOL changes with cosmetics being saved to your UI instead of having to go to ethereals or stow shit forever. They must have realized just how much Database space they were using with void storage and people constantly swapping shit.

There's 20!! pages of toys now. Wow.

Varyin Wrinn is dead. VolJin is Dead. Yeah, fuck the game.

angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #59 on: May 17, 2016, 01:59:44 PM

A total rework each expansion of just how you do shit.

This more than anything else is what destroyed the game for me. Having to relearn my Paladin after each expansion because huge changes just for the sake of change really pissed me off.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: May 19, 2016, 01:39:39 PM

I decided to give this a shot because Overwatch isn't coming out for another week.

First of all, Jesus Christ, Blizzard needs to get a team to come up with some way of bringing returning players up to speed.  This is a problem with a lot of long running games (League of Legends for example) but WoW is probably the worst I've ever seen at it.  I log in and spend maybe half an hour figuring out what buttons and skills do what.  There is no tutorial or guide or anything.  Well, there is a shitty overlay that tells you what the subscreens on your collections menu do, but in terms of like, what skills you're going to be using or what they chopped from your class (I guess you can still feed hunter pets, though I don't see any indication of what them being hungry means or how to tell how hungry they are).  I've got a million quests and my inventory is choked with garbage which I don't remember how useful any of it is.  This stuff isn't really a problem if you're starting at level 1, you have way more than enough time to learn how to use the one new skill they give you every hour or so, but starting at level 85 it's just a confusing mess of "I don't remember ANY of this".

And the "Story" is hot garbage.  I levelled to 90 and got the "Head to Draenor!" popup, so I figured why not.  Drop my Pandaland quests and fly over there.  It's like a half hour trip.  And when I land I am instantly attacked by level 90 enemies because I guess one of the horde outposts there is now evil and I picked that one to land at.  Thanks for that.  Anyways, I head over to the dark portal and talk to Khadgar, who says something like "we can drive them back" and I'm like "who, precisely are we talking about here?  The demons?  The trailer looked like we were doing something in the past.  Nobody told me anything about why I'm here now, they just said head for the portal and talk to Khadgar".  So we go through the portal and I have no idea WTF is even happening or why everyone is here but I guess we're in the past?  Or something?  And some orcs are bad but Thrall is here and he's good and so is the Alliance and we're buddies for now.  Or something.  I don't know.  I mean, at least Pandaria told you what was going on, "mists part, new ancient land found, go over there and conquer it" was the cutscene.  Warlords of Drano is just baffling nonsense so far.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #61 on: May 19, 2016, 02:04:07 PM

WOD is nonsense because that's where they fully embraced that you have to buy the books to fully appreciate Metzen's careful crafting of the lore. You know nothing of the story without buying books or looking shit up online. Just forget about it, it's garbage anyway.

Hunter pets no longer get hungry. If that's how long ago you played no wonder you're lost. Not that it's much better for newer returning players, since IDK WTF is up in beta at all.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #62 on: May 20, 2016, 06:26:33 AM

WOD is nonsense because that's where they fully embraced that you have to buy the books to fully appreciate Metzen's careful crafting of the lore. You know nothing of the story without buying books or looking shit up online. Just forget about it, it's garbage anyway.

Hunter pets no longer get hungry. If that's how long ago you played no wonder you're lost. Not that it's much better for newer returning players, since IDK WTF is up in beta at all.

Good, way to go full Metzen Blizzard. Exposition in games is for pussies. The fact he's never been held accountable for any of this mess is the reason the company is struggling to come up with anything decent in innovation.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: May 23, 2016, 04:38:50 AM

Something that Bliz is testing under-the-hood for Legion: The Action Camera.

This actually looks pretty cool, even if it's something that's been around for a while in other games. To be able to bring it here to WoW, it may be seen a minor thing, but it can add a lot if used/configured correctly.

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: May 23, 2016, 06:29:14 AM

What's new there? Is it the fact that the camera is over the shoulder?

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: May 23, 2016, 07:34:24 AM

Over the shoulder is one. Another is target focusing, where the camera keeps your selected target at it's center, and zooms/pans around to keep both your target and you in the view screen.

Which is also demonstrated in the video.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #66 on: May 31, 2016, 02:58:28 PM

My facebook feed decided to remind me that 6 years ago today I downed the Lich King with my guild. We were one of the first 5 guilds on my server to do it, but only like 300th over-all. Doesn't seem that long ago that WoW wasn't too awful.

why so serious?  Heartbreak

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #67 on: May 31, 2016, 03:01:03 PM

I remember when I completed Lich King on fuckin normal with my guild, and then in 25-man in the guild alliance I was in.'

It was fun and good, and I enjoyed it. I'm still salty that Cataclysm destroyed my release-day guild.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 03:03:21 PM by Fabricated »

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: May 31, 2016, 04:11:58 PM

That was such a good encounter. It was tough (and long) but never really felt like the mechanics were bullshit like some fights.

My guild made it through Cata but we downed normal Deathwing the first week he dropped, and none of us wanted to grind Heroics just to replace them with greens when Pandaria came out so we just kinda quit. Some of the players drifted to our sister guild, but even that didn't last all the way through MoP.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #69 on: May 31, 2016, 05:27:54 PM

My guild made it until last year. The bullshit that was Blizzard's decision to not do any more content patches finally broke everyone.

It was already straining against the ego of the Raid Leader who wanted us to be Hardcore-Hardcore and had half the guild with him (coincidentally all college kids/ grad students or Shift-workers) vs. the leadership and folks like myself who have professional jobs and lives and were only willing to dedicate our 3 hours a night Tues-Fri. (Which is still a HELL of a lot of time.) 

The day they announced "Nope, no patches until Legion" though? The Raid Leader said, "fuck Blizzard" and dumped his 11-year account (he had the statue) and those who didn't quit with him fucked-off to more progression-minded guilds.  The guild is "still around" but only has 6-10 people who login regularly if the forum is anything to go by these days.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: The "WoW in 2016" Thread  
Jump to: