Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:08:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Art Thread (NSFW) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Art Thread (NSFW)  (Read 198200 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #525 on: April 17, 2021, 07:10:43 AM

You're the man now, dude!

Seriously, good luck. I have a friend who opened a small gallery a couple years ago, he had a phenomenal start and somehow managed to navigate the pandemic. He also had stuff happen that made him shift his priorities and he's never been happier. It's allowed him to be the person he actually is. I enjoy seeing people get to do that.
schild
Administrator

Reply #526 on: April 17, 2021, 07:16:06 AM

Yeah I'm like, slow rolling the start. We're talking six months out. Im not waiting for the pandemic to ease, I'm waiting for it to be *over.* But it's a very small space on purpose, I don't want shows, I want people that actually want art in their house. We'll see how it goes. I am outright getting the entire space though, so I get to do whatever I want which is great.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #527 on: April 17, 2021, 12:53:26 PM

That's excellent!
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #528 on: May 20, 2021, 10:16:36 AM

Finished a new piece earlier this week.  Decided to get my masking fluid out and play with that.  Getting a blister taking it all off was worth it though, pretty please with how this turned out.

Currently untitled, 11 x 15 (less the margins to be removed to get rid of the staple marks).

And a detail shot.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #529 on: May 20, 2021, 05:03:23 PM

Lovely.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #530 on: May 21, 2021, 07:20:38 AM

That landscape I posted (basically the only thing I drew in 2020) was accepted into a juried regional show. Judges are now sus, it's a crappy drawing (maybe a good first try, but a bad drawing nonetheless).
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #531 on: May 21, 2021, 08:59:13 AM

Or (and don't take this badly) it was a good entry in a field of crappy entries.  Could also be because it's good for the study of values in b/w work, too.  Is it technically perfect?  No, but I really like it for more of a value study than overall as a landscape. 

Either way, take the win (accepted) and add that to your art CV and run with it.   awesome, for real

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #532 on: May 21, 2021, 05:48:28 PM

Exactly. Not like juried shows in the best of circumstances make decisions that make sense.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #533 on: October 26, 2021, 01:17:01 PM

So I've been working on some artwork for Holiday cards this year.  Came up with 6 designs I like (cribbed from online tutorials for a few) and have 3 sets of each.  The idea is the attach the 5x7 pieces to cardstock, include envelopes and try to sell the sets.  I'm also messing around with printing sets on cardstock and selling for a lower prices too, but that's giving me problems atm.  I'm getting closer though.

Here's the set of images I'm going with (marvel at my magnificent namings!) :

"The Winter Trees"

"Mistletoe"

"Ornaments"

"O, Christmas Tree!"

"Four Christmas Trees"

"We Three Trees..."

What the images can't show is the shiny - the stars and garland is gold paint and so is the border on the mistletoe.  The ornaments were overpainted with sparkly colors, too.  I was thinking asking $15/set (each card is hand painted so each set is unique) plus shipping. If I can figure out the laser printed on cardstock ones, I can mix things up and offer sets of the same card (with the variations) or sets of the six different cards.  Not sure on the price for those though.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #534 on: October 26, 2021, 05:23:51 PM

Those are nice!
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #535 on: October 27, 2021, 06:31:49 AM

Yeah, those are indeed awesome!

I've actually been slowly plinking away at a new portrait in charcoal....since June 1. Trying to not pressure myself to get back into it, but now I just want the damned thing off the easel :D
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #536 on: October 27, 2021, 07:09:58 AM

Lovely. Really great designs.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #537 on: October 27, 2021, 05:07:19 PM

Finished a new piece earlier this week.  Decided to get my masking fluid out and play with that.  Getting a blister taking it all off was worth it though, pretty please with how this turned out.

Currently untitled, 11 x 15 (less the margins to be removed to get rid of the staple marks).

And a detail shot.

Hadn't checked this thread in a while but just have to say, I think this is awesome. Super awesome.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #538 on: October 28, 2021, 09:10:29 AM

Dang.  As someone who rarely checks this thread, I would absolutely put that up on my wall.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #539 on: October 28, 2021, 12:24:22 PM

Dang.  As someone who rarely checks this thread, I would absolutely put that up on my wall.

Don't you permanently live with your VR heaset on like the Lawnmower Man? You could just "pirate" the image posted here and put it on your virtual wall  why so serious?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #540 on: October 28, 2021, 01:21:54 PM

Some artists will even trade commonly-accepted currency in exchange for allowing you to put that up on your wall!
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #541 on: October 28, 2021, 02:01:59 PM

Some artists will even trade commonly-accepted currency in exchange for allowing you to put that up on your wall!

Sign me up to this crazy new world.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #542 on: October 28, 2021, 02:07:29 PM

How can I be sure I actually own it if it's not on the blockchain, though?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #543 on: October 30, 2021, 08:42:10 PM

So, I guess we technically actually open in uhhhhhhh

7 days
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #544 on: November 01, 2021, 06:55:16 AM

Hadn't checked this thread in a while but just have to say, I think this is awesome. Super awesome.

Thanks!

Well, it's not on anyone's wall yet, so there's still a chance for you!  awesome, for real

Sky gets it.  Heart

How can I be sure I actually own it if it's not on the blockchain, though?

Well, see... instead of a comment in the blockchain, you'll have this piece of paper with a bunch of paint splashed around on it, and it will be in YOUR HANDS!  And as we all know, possession is 9/10ths of the law, after all!

7 days

Good luck!  Do you have an online viewing gallery for those of us not local?

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #545 on: November 01, 2021, 07:42:07 AM

7 days

You're The Man now, dude.

I'm feeling oppressed.
schild
Administrator

Reply #546 on: November 01, 2021, 09:07:04 AM

I'm reworking the website, I'll post it later this week.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #547 on: December 20, 2021, 03:32:40 PM

Two most recent pieces.

"The Shores of Night" 6 x 17

"Dawning" 4 x 4

Painted Dawning while waiting for FFXIV queues.

schild
Administrator

Reply #548 on: December 21, 2021, 10:30:25 AM

I forgot to do this

http://www.canvasatx.com

Need to add a few artists and update an exhibition among other things
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #549 on: December 21, 2021, 11:22:32 AM

Kolander is pretty cool without being too gimmicky. I know it's the thing to be gimmicky, but ugh.

Fuckin rad little space, though. Love the aesthetic.
schild
Administrator

Reply #550 on: December 22, 2021, 10:13:33 PM

Kolander is pretty cool without being too gimmicky. I know it's the thing to be gimmicky, but ugh.

Fuckin rad little space, though. Love the aesthetic.

I'll be taking new pictures next week. I have 16 track lights w/ 4000k 99r Soraa Bulbs in the car.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #551 on: December 24, 2021, 11:07:38 AM

I forgot to do this

http://www.canvasatx.com

Need to add a few artists and update an exhibition among other things

Nice looking!

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #552 on: March 09, 2022, 12:01:37 PM

I did an introductory glassblowing workshop over the weekend, because I've always thought it looks neat and I wanted to see what it's like to actually do it.  My six hours or so of playing with fire produced a funky paperweight and a chonky shot glass (pictured with whiskey):

Similar to when I did a one-day taxidermy class several years back, I'm glad I did it to get a better idea of how it works, but I don't think it's my new calling.  I have renewed respect for people who are able to tease out complicated shapes and make it look easy.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #553 on: March 09, 2022, 12:59:18 PM

Chonk shotglass is awesome.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #554 on: March 13, 2022, 09:01:25 PM

Like 'em both. Nice work.
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #555 on: March 16, 2022, 01:35:10 PM

Those are pretty cool. I still want to try that myself. I did a pottery (wheel) class eons ago and came home with three tiny pots, two of which are actually functional and pretty! But definitely not something to drop my day job for, if I had one.  awesome, for real   I have this thing for not liking my hands to be dirty/gritty.  This can actually be a kind of useful trait for keyboard work, but not so much for making pottery! LOL  Because of it I used waaaay too much water and thus could never get anything to stand up taller than 3 inches.

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #556 on: April 05, 2022, 11:46:15 AM

One of the best fundamental Reilly method instructors split off from the Watts Atelier to start up his own site: https://foundationartschool.com/

Hands-down the best head construction instructor I've come across, at least at the fundamental level, and Watts basically restructured their courses to include his fundamentals.

If I was in better drawing form currently, I'd take the figure class at the crit level (he will likely run this the same way Watts did, demo vid then a weekly draw-over crit, the crit is SOLID GOLD btw) and probably the hair class, since few Watts instructors went into much depth about hair. Still might take the hair at the audit level (with crit, just watching other students get critiqued is very informative and expands the material).

Just an FYI if you draw or want to learn. I'm pulling for the kid to succeed, because as I said, he's really good at this niche of instruction.

edited to add: oh, and I did an umber pickout sketch a couple weeks ago. Quick graphite sketch onto 8x10 cotton panel, then burnt umber + mineral spirits. Really enjoyable way to paint, I've done several. Main downside is you have to work fast (due to the spirits) and once it sets up you can't go back and massage any edges (which is evident in this sketch!):

(open in new tab for full size)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 11:53:15 AM by Sky »
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #557 on: April 24, 2022, 07:46:43 PM

That portrait looks like it would be a good base to work over with in colors now that you have the basic values in, Sky. 

I've been messing about with tea staining watercolor paper and then painting on that.  Along with learning bookbinding.

"Contrails" 8.5in x 5.5in watercolor and white gel pen on paper.

"Fox and Butterfly" 8.5in x 5.5in watercolor and white gel pen on paper.

And a link to a quick video over on Instagram of the one book I've finished so far.  It's 8in x 5in with 40 grid pages.  Hand stitched and I put a cloth cover over the spine.  My biggest "mistake" was making the cover the same size as the pages.  I should have made it just a bit bigger.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #558 on: July 07, 2022, 11:11:34 AM

Quick little painting for a library tiny art show. I haven't done much landscape (1 charcoal and this is my 2nd painting), so I learned a ton, despite the diminutive canvas.

St George Schooner, oil on canvas, 3" x 3"

Sorry for teh crap pic, hard to photograph a glossy varnished painting. Looks much better not magnified quite so much. Step back from the screen a bit heh.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #559 on: July 07, 2022, 03:08:32 PM

That's really got some nice details for such a small painting.  Very nice!

I'm still working on bookbinding and making small journals.

Small journal with tea stained pages, 5.5 by 8.5

Mini-journal with red dye stained pages , 4.25 x 5.5

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Art Thread (NSFW)  
Jump to: