Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:05:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Art Thread (NSFW) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Art Thread (NSFW)  (Read 198155 times)
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #385 on: January 25, 2018, 09:35:18 AM

That is really developing quite nicely, Sky.  The right side of his face is lacking something for me as compared to the left side, but I'm having trouble articulating just what it is.  And since this isn't finished, I'm not sure it won't be addressed down the line.  I think it's a certain vibrancy or richness for me.  The left side has more of a contrast/tonal range than the right does currently, and I have a feeling (could be wrong) that you're still adding depth to the shadows on that side.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #386 on: January 25, 2018, 10:08:35 AM

And some new things from me, even though none are as interesting as what Sky does.

Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #387 on: January 25, 2018, 11:33:25 AM

I like the fish & jellyfish  Heart

Would fit in nicely down around the bar if you ever feel like selling...

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #388 on: January 25, 2018, 12:01:44 PM

I like the fish & jellyfish  Heart

Would fit in nicely down around the bar if you ever feel like selling...

It's small - about 5 x 7 and I'm always open to selling.  PM me an offer if you like, because I hate trying to price my work (I've sold very few pieces, not from lack of trying, and feel like I over-price things).  Plus, I kind of like seeing my work go away to others.  Gives a warm, fuzzy feeling.

Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #389 on: January 25, 2018, 12:09:20 PM

Thanks, I'll PM ya.  Almost every artist has that feeling of overpricing things, and the internet is no help for trying to get a feel for something that subjective.

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #390 on: January 25, 2018, 12:46:44 PM

I intentionally "overprice" things, because fuck that  why so serious? But seriously, a TON of local artist sell their stuff so close to cost of materials, it's stupids. Make your cash flow on prints and whatnot. I'm looking into making larger runs of my Bart card (this image on a kraft card) due to numerous inquiries, for instance. (intentionally withholding my unsolicited opinion on pricing since there is a deal in progress  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?)

Also, bullshit on your stuff not being as interesting as what I'm doing.
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #391 on: February 01, 2018, 07:07:28 PM

I massacred the edge of the matte, I need to cut a new one or it's going to bug the hell out of me--but the pic's in its new home, Rhyssa :)

« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 07:26:37 PM by Polysorbate80 »

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #392 on: February 02, 2018, 07:29:45 AM

Love Letters

Oh that looks awesome matted and framed!  Glad it arrived okay, I was going to message you today if I hadn't heard anything from you.

Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #393 on: February 02, 2018, 09:34:50 AM

The museum glass to keep out the UV won't arrive until next week, but I couldn't wait to put it up :) 

Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #394 on: February 02, 2018, 01:16:17 PM

Wow that looks awesome folks. You teamed up well!
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #395 on: March 01, 2018, 08:49:08 AM

Fourth annual Art for the Paws charity auction is coming up at the end of March and I have my donated pieces turned in.  This supports the local shelter where we got our current dog, Jasper. Canvases are 6x6.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #396 on: March 01, 2018, 12:34:55 PM

Nice stuff! I've been lax in updating anything, but I've had my nose down in the studio doing features studies.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #397 on: March 02, 2018, 07:52:57 AM

Thanks, Sky!

I like the anatomy studies.  Are those notes you've made for yourself, or are they part of the study you're doing?

Portrait work - something is off with his right eye.  Maybe it's the image size, but it looks like it's squinty all of a sudden.  Overall the lighting and mood of that piece are excellent though.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #398 on: March 02, 2018, 08:47:40 AM

Nah, his eye has been off...he told us (after 6 months of struggling with it) that it was damaged in a fight when he was a kid. Lid is kind of flatter and lower. Always measures out, I've measured it hundreds of times.

Those are notes taken from the voice-over of the video lesson. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6-bCgRmcko&t=3s
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #399 on: March 20, 2018, 09:12:49 PM

Getting toward the end of Stan's portrait course. Last two drawings are, welp, portraits. Charcoal on newsprint, about 11x14.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #400 on: March 21, 2018, 12:28:28 PM

Wow.  That is fantastic looking!  Heart

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #401 on: March 21, 2018, 12:45:56 PM

Thanks! Seems like it's taking forever to get my chops up, but it's nice to see a bit of tangible progress now and again.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #402 on: March 21, 2018, 06:52:57 PM

That's a great pic Sky.  Keep at it.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #403 on: March 21, 2018, 07:33:32 PM

That's a great pic Sky.  Keep at it.
Thanks, Nebs! I'm a full-blown addict. Yulia loves it, because it's so rare to find people who love the slower, more technically demanding classical style. It does suck that it takes so long (that's a 12 hours charcoal portrait that needs another half hour or so of touch ups), but it's incredibly effective training. If only I had access to a real atelier!
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #404 on: March 22, 2018, 11:44:11 AM

And another session on the oil portrait...

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #405 on: March 29, 2018, 06:41:53 AM

Our model didn't show up last night, so I did an hour and a half self portrait study in oil, 8x10.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #406 on: March 29, 2018, 09:22:19 AM

That's only 1.5 hours?   Rock Out

You're not what my inner eye has supplied though.  I knew about the beard, but somehow didn't expect short hair.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #407 on: March 29, 2018, 09:36:28 AM

That's a really evocative working--definitely something to keep messing with (but don't overwork it--the soft,  underdone character is really good).
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #408 on: March 29, 2018, 11:34:19 AM

Thanks! It's already been overworked a bit. I don't do alla prima, and I had to rework the right eye when I realized I wasn't going to have time to put in my glasses.

Rhyssa, hair has been crew cut for a few years now, but I've switched to taking the sides and back completely off with no fade, long top (it's about 8" now!) last year. Needs a trim, but I'm pretty happy with the treatment I was able to give it in paint. Even the facial hair came out acceptably, and hair is one of my weak points in paint.

I've been focused only on heads and portraits, so when I was given this kinda pop quiz, it was nice to jump in and just give it my best shot. Only one other than the instructor who got a somewhat finished painting, thanks to all that study of things like head abstraction and proportion, big form modeling, and also having a pretty solid idea of how I like to light portraits (I had my head layin done before the other students put any paint down). Still, I surprised myself by getting most of the basics in and nailing the likeness in such a short time, and actually having a few fairly well-painted spots here and there. Definitely proves my autodidact curriculum is effective thus far!

Khaldun, I'm hoping this is the first in a series of these small studies. My goal for the second half of 2018 is to work my painting skills, the the overall 2018 focus is portraits. So this was so perfect, not even mad at the model for not showing up.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #409 on: April 04, 2018, 07:43:57 PM

Portrait model couldn't make it again this week, so we had a sub. Really great model. I got kinda carried away with the layin, decided to just keep working it in monochrome. One brush for paint, one for turps. 2 hours.

Oil on canvas board, 8 x 10.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #410 on: April 05, 2018, 08:20:41 AM

You've got some really good expressive skills there when you have to work on the fly.  That's a good thing!

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #411 on: April 05, 2018, 09:58:30 AM

Thanks! Obviously I still have a ton to learn, but it's nice seeing some of the studies I've been doing come into play when there is a time limit ticking. And a lot of the faults with the painting are things that I either struggle to fix at my skill level or just didn't have time to work on.

The main problem with it is I rushed the lay-in, so to get a more perfect drawing, it would've cut off the top of his head. I should've just done that and not worried about keeping it entirely in frame.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #412 on: April 12, 2018, 08:51:07 AM

Return of the regular model. Head is basically done, one more session (which is usually food and wine more than painting). Really happy with how the hair came out, since loose and gestural has been a struggle for me.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #413 on: April 17, 2018, 08:10:57 PM

Test for echo  why so serious?

Final portrait from the Prokopenko course. It was a slog with the hair and costume! Charcoal on newsprint, 18x24.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #414 on: April 21, 2018, 12:05:45 PM

Seeing some really striking development of your work in the latest things you're posting.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #415 on: April 21, 2018, 01:40:35 PM

Thanks! The focus on portraits and sticking with both online and studio classes has helped. I'll most likely be voted onto the board of the local art association in a couple weeks, if I can get a couple projects underway I should be able to add another night or two to the curriculum. I suspect that's the point at which I'll start getting pushback from the old lady...
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #416 on: April 24, 2018, 07:39:42 AM

Those portraits are excellent and I'm jealous you have a local art association around there.  I need to dig more deeply to see if there is anything active around here that doesn't involve a half-hour drive minimum.

This past Saturday was the reception for the Art for the Paws charity event and I made an appearance to look at the mosaic wall of art.  Every year there is some really fantastic art, some meh stuff, pieces done by kids, and then mine.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?  On the upside, both my pieces sold for more than the minimum price and one was bought by a co-worker who I'd been talking with about my artwork (I've decided to put my whiteboard to good use and hung my various lunchtime doodles on it), so that was cool to hear.

Have some pics of the mosaic wall. You can see my pieces in pics 1, 2 and 4. 

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #417 on: May 13, 2018, 06:51:52 AM

Just got back from a 5 day workshop on head construction at the Academy of Realist Art in Toronto. Really brutal (I got eviscerated for my line quality), but so good. I got it toughest because the teacher and I got along great and the class content was pretty much exactly where I am in my autodidacting. But it pushed me hard and not only did I do some decent work in class, I have a roadmap for improvement across a few skills. Here's the piece from the last day. It's not finished, more of focusing on different components of producing a finished drawing. Charcoal on Arches 90lb cold press, 11x16.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #418 on: May 13, 2018, 05:54:13 PM

Cheers, man. You have put out some great work - having a pro eviscerate you means you're doing something right. Having them say "oh you're doing great" would be a waste of your time and money. Keep at it.

I'm digging the pseudo-cubism style on this piece. I want to see him animated and talking in that style.
schild
Administrator

Reply #419 on: May 13, 2018, 07:12:57 PM

I'm digging the pseudo-cubism style on this piece. I want to see him animated and talking in that style.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Art Thread (NSFW)  
Jump to: