Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:43:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: R.I.P. David Bowie. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: R.I.P. David Bowie.  (Read 17202 times)
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: January 11, 2016, 09:47:30 AM

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/12092542/Bowies-last-album-was-parting-gift-for-fans-in-carefully-planned-finale.html

David Bowie's last release, Lazarus, was 'parting gift' for fans in carefully planned finale
The producer of Blackstar confirms David Bowie had planned his poignant final message, and videos and lyrics show how he approached his death

What we all  assumed given the news. Beautiful and heartbreaking.

beer geek.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #36 on: January 11, 2016, 10:20:19 AM

So basically David Bowie somehow manages to be cooler than everyone else even in the way he dies.

I saw this thread earlier and thought, "this has to be a hoax.  I was just in the car listening to his new album, which was released on his birthday like two days ago."  It's just surreal.  Going to take a while to get used to.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: January 11, 2016, 10:22:07 AM

He handled death as he handled all things, with grace and creativity.

beer geek.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #38 on: January 11, 2016, 11:49:36 AM

So basically David Bowie somehow manages to be cooler than everyone else even in the way he dies.

Yes.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #39 on: January 11, 2016, 01:29:44 PM

Well, I mean we're talking about David Bowie. That's just how he rolls.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: January 11, 2016, 01:37:26 PM

Was never a particular fan of his music, but that he is a loss to the Music industry will not be denied.

Hic sunt dracones.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: January 11, 2016, 02:08:48 PM

"The Pretty Things...

They wore it out, but they wore it well..."

There is no way to exaggerate the impact this man had on me and my peers, not just musically but to the way we saw ourselves and our sexuality.

I was just watching his episode of VH1's Storyteller series. It may be a few days before I can bring myself to listen to his last album.

He had an amazing life, but sixty nine is just too young.

Fuck cancer, fuck heart disease, fuck all of it.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #42 on: January 11, 2016, 02:11:16 PM

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/12092542/Bowies-last-album-was-parting-gift-for-fans-in-carefully-planned-finale.html

David Bowie's last release, Lazarus, was 'parting gift' for fans in carefully planned finale
The producer of Blackstar confirms David Bowie had planned his poignant final message, and videos and lyrics show how he approached his death

What we all  assumed given the news. Beautiful and heartbreaking.

Similar to Freddie Mercury with a lot of the songs on Innuendo (and of course Made in Heaven after he died). In fact one Bowie moment I like to watch a lot is him playing Sax and doing back up vocals for All the Young Dudes at the Freddie tribute concert with Ian Hunter, Queen, and Mick Ronson. That was also Mick Ronson's final big live appearance before he died of cancer.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #43 on: January 11, 2016, 04:16:38 PM

Was in the process of shaking myself a martini when I stopped. A day like this calls for the 40-year single malt.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #44 on: January 11, 2016, 09:21:13 PM

Shit.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: January 11, 2016, 10:02:36 PM

I haven't ever felt like this over the death of someone I've never actually met.  I used to mock people that got all worked up over a celebrity death but this has me gutted.
Mac
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: January 12, 2016, 01:30:59 PM

I liked this tribute by TV on the Radio.

You did this life very well

He contributed backing vocals for the song Providence on the Return to Cookie Mountain album.: TV On the Radio - Province
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 01:36:04 PM by Mac »
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: January 12, 2016, 08:01:22 PM

beer geek.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #48 on: January 12, 2016, 09:11:06 PM

Please someone have a piano drop on these cockdoodles.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #49 on: January 13, 2016, 04:39:52 AM

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: January 13, 2016, 05:28:30 AM

Well technically they are right. I'm moved to want to make their band name literal by punching them in their mouths. So the tribute is indeed moving...

Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: January 13, 2016, 06:45:51 AM

A band doing a cover of a beloved, deceased artist's song is fine and appropriate, and I don't hate Smash Mouth for it.

There are plenty of other reasons to hate Smash Mouth, though, like the fact that they make fucking terrible music in general.

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: January 13, 2016, 06:53:22 AM

If they had made that cover at any other time I might agree. But the timing reeks of "Hey ignore that dead guy. Look at me. LOOK AT ME!!!"
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: January 13, 2016, 08:08:11 AM

Eh. I don't think so. Plenty of people covering his songs right now.

I just think it's fucking awful.

beer geek.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #54 on: January 13, 2016, 11:07:00 AM

The title for his last album is, obviously Blackstar. Apparently, "black star" is a radiologists term for a cancer lesion.

Just. Damn.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #55 on: January 13, 2016, 07:33:52 PM

The title for his last album is, obviously Blackstar. Apparently, "black star" is a radiologists term for a cancer lesion.

Just. Damn.

Wasn't his genre,  but that is a Metalocalypse-level of metal.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #56 on: January 14, 2016, 08:24:42 AM

Bowie was, is and always will be metal as fuck.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #57 on: January 14, 2016, 10:01:22 AM

Pretty much that. Don't let the fashion fool you.

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #58 on: January 15, 2016, 09:13:28 PM

This is someone we needed more in the world.  I regret his passing and I am glad to have seen him at least once Live. 
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: January 15, 2016, 10:19:58 PM

Of all the billions of years the universe has existed, you lived in the same small fraction of time that he did.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #60 on: January 15, 2016, 11:04:16 PM

Met him in the Streets of Soho in '97. Ten word conversation that convinced a 26-year-old me with an ego the size of a planet that no matter how badass I thought I was, there was someone infinitely more awesome.

And of course, there's this...

https://twitter.com/frozenreeds/status/687394537438855168

He was a New Yorker to the core.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 08:02:46 AM by Surlyboi »

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: January 19, 2016, 06:37:23 PM

And the album Blackstar is now his first to chart number one on the American charts.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: May 16, 2016, 04:17:32 PM

If you happen to own the disc, take the case out in the sun. It's a special goodbye. Enjoy his parting gift.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: R.I.P. David Bowie.  
Jump to: