Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:19:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Star Trek (CBS VOD 2017) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Star Trek (CBS VOD 2017)  (Read 128493 times)
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #385 on: March 16, 2019, 02:34:39 PM

Watched episode 9 last night.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #386 on: March 18, 2019, 07:51:58 AM

They even managed to convince me she'd turn out to be the red angel about half way through.

Burnham felt a bit weak in this episode.

But emo-Spock I loved. I thought Spock would be an Easter egg too far, and I wasn't sold last week, but this week I was. It was definitely adult Spock and he was believably furious. I don't recall a better spock scene.

Rest of the crew started coming through better and better as well.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #387 on: March 22, 2019, 12:42:55 PM

You know, this chap GETS Spock.

His Spock is fucking PERFECT.

Sure, the show is shit, but the SPOCK IS AWESOME.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #388 on: March 22, 2019, 04:15:40 PM

New episode was... bad.

Cast all delivered and the flashing lights and whatnot were exciting.

But the plot is 'lets all do the most obviously stupid thing and await the the most obvious and leaden footed twist I've seen in a long time'....

It was not good.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #389 on: March 23, 2019, 01:51:54 AM

Except for Spock. 

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #390 on: March 23, 2019, 05:06:52 AM

Pike and Spock are the show's two best characters. Lose Discovery, move them back to the USS Enterprise and run a pre-Kirk series.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #391 on: March 23, 2019, 05:23:17 AM

Given that we've already seen Number One (and I liked her), I'd be behind this idea.

Also, Number One.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #392 on: April 01, 2019, 03:16:11 PM

Episode 11

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #393 on: April 01, 2019, 03:57:13 PM

I hope not.

But maybe.

Either way, Michelle Yeoh alternately punching dudes and making fun of star fleet remains worth the price of admission.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #394 on: April 03, 2019, 10:19:44 AM

Nah,

That said, yeah, Pike and Spock are. fucking. perfect. Mirror Georgiou being her snarky, badass self is the icing on that cake.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #395 on: April 16, 2019, 06:05:51 AM

Still liking this - but going a bit off the boil.

Much more Running! OMG Run that way! Flashing light! Glowy Thing! Angst! than earlier. And not enough Spock.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #396 on: April 16, 2019, 07:11:35 AM

I really have to give this show credit for adding another Best Captain to the pantheon, though. I really like this version of Pike.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #397 on: April 19, 2019, 08:21:24 PM

That season ender. Saw it coming about four eps back, still damn good. Super excited for season three now.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #398 on: April 21, 2019, 12:56:59 AM

Would be great if they use this to undo the JJverse. But as they are 9 centuries beyond the Narada my bet would be on just ignoring it. I could imagine them meeting the temporal dudes who just say something like 'yeah that was shit so we undid it'.

They have said s3 will be set in the 33rd century. So has to be post everything we know really.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #399 on: April 21, 2019, 01:01:38 PM

We're going to the 33rd century. Even if they did incorporate JJverse (they aren't), it wouldn't really matter in the long term. Space travel in the latter years of Voyager was already on the brink of making it from one end of the galaxy to the other seem fairly quick. Between the spore drive and trans-warp tech, I'd think we'd be looking at a much bigger scope for S3; one that has them jumping between galaxies across the 'verse.

The idea of S3 cameos is also neat. Q, Data, the EMH, hell even Sisko might swing by.

Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #400 on: April 23, 2019, 07:08:17 AM

I'm really excited to see what they can do when not trying to navigate all the hazards of existing Trek canon.

I also sort of hope they can do something about the pacing and maybe not be saving the entire universe every couple episodes.

The stakes don't need to be that high for it to be interesting television, and it would let the show breath more and make the pauses for emotional/character moments seem a bit less absurdly out of place.

I like the cast (and will miss Spock, Pike, and Number One) -- I wish the writers would up their game a bit.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #401 on: April 24, 2019, 01:57:32 AM

Agree the stakes don't need to be so high, but think they will be. This show just wants to be melodramatic, and if it has any constant it is that it never lets the crew get comfortable or established in a context. I've been surprised how well they've managed to make it good and star trek despite this.

If you want a slower show I think we'll need to wait for Picard.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #402 on: April 29, 2019, 08:01:05 AM

Or The Orville. That was slow as fuck this season.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #403 on: April 29, 2019, 08:39:33 AM

The Qualon invasion wasn't excitement enough?
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #404 on: April 29, 2019, 08:56:05 AM

It was the ONLY excitement.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #405 on: April 29, 2019, 05:43:19 PM

So we don't know yet if the parameters of the wormhole journey as described actually come to pass, I should note. Maybe they don't go where they're thinking they will.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #406 on: April 30, 2019, 01:06:18 AM

The showrunners have said they are in the future if that is what you mean, it isn't intended to be a cliffhanger.

Also it completely explains the short. Which is probably worth rewatching for s3 hints.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 01:08:25 AM by eldaec »

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #407 on: April 30, 2019, 08:57:03 AM

It was also a nice closure in the event they didn't get a season 3.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #408 on: April 30, 2019, 10:54:41 AM

I really don't think there's much question that Discovery is getting a season 3.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #409 on: October 16, 2020, 09:14:24 AM

So, watched the first episode and it looks like Season 3 is indeed gonna be Andromeda 2: Electric Boogaloo

Interesting plan, will Michael Burnham be better or worse than Dylan Hunt at self-righteous speechifying?
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #410 on: October 17, 2020, 07:08:51 PM

I had to actually look that up to see whether it was a reference to a shitty TV show I never watched or a shitty Mass Effect sequel I never played.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #411 on: October 17, 2020, 07:28:23 PM

Shitty show. Only redeeming features were Lexa Doig and Keith Hamilton Cobb.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #412 on: October 18, 2020, 03:42:12 PM

Episode was silly but fun.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #413 on: October 18, 2020, 08:23:50 PM

Episode was silly but fun.
My thoughts exactly. I'm on board.

I remember thinking Sonequa Martin-Green was making a mistake when she left her Walking Dead role, but each season (of this) I'm happier and happier she did. (As for the other show? What other show.)
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #414 on: October 25, 2020, 03:21:44 AM

God this show is so fucking bad sometimes. Michael has to be one of the most poorly written characters going around.

Somehow I've still watched halfway through season 2.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 03:26:07 AM by lamaros »
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #415 on: October 25, 2020, 03:42:19 AM

The weird thing is how good other characters are in comparison. Especially season 2.

Spock, Spock's mum, captain handsome, the fish guy, even Tilly and Ash.

But for main character 'hey we have 30 seconds more to fill, can you just gurn a bit? Thanks.'

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #416 on: October 25, 2020, 04:07:18 AM

I'm glad she was trained on Vulcan. Imagine how her histrionics would be if she was an emotional human.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #417 on: October 25, 2020, 07:55:11 AM

I actually like the character. I just don't think they'd been able to clearly decide what her narrative arc actually is fully, partly because of the terrible execution of a halfway good idea in her initial introduction. The good idea was: what if we follow the story of a superb Starfleet commander who has the same ethical compass and decisiveness of other Starfleet commanders but due to circumstances is temporarily disgraced and has to fight to redeem herself? That's a great idea, but they did it in such a Rube Goldberg way. It would have been better if she'd been framed or if she'd had a genuine Hobson's choice that was much more narratively coherent than all the Klingon garbage (e.g., where the decision to mutiny etc. was not based on an impulsively bad read of a dangerous situation but was more cleanly and simply a damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't thing).

So her characterization has wobbled a lot ever since and often been subordinated to more interesting secondary characters and to the overall season-long plot arc.

I would be glad to see the show very quickly redshirt Ensign Klingon Guy--he's a constant reminder of how badly the show fucked the pooch on the whole Klingon thing--and I'm annoyed that apparently they're going to reprise Mirror-Universe Evil Georgiou. (I don't know how she can even be here at all, but ok.) I also hope for god's sake that they finally give memorable names and personalities to some of the bridge crew.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #418 on: October 25, 2020, 07:20:24 PM

Ok, so I guess Georgiou was on board during the trip into the future. I could have sworn Ensign Klingon Guy was too but maybe not.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #419 on: November 13, 2020, 11:34:53 AM

We're halfway through season 3.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 11:56:35 AM by luckton »

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Star Trek (CBS VOD 2017)  
Jump to: