Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:48:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NHL 2015-2016 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NHL 2015-2016  (Read 28601 times)
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

on: October 04, 2015, 09:47:28 PM

Sooooo...who's excited?

I'll still watch every game of theirs that I can, but...the Flyers should probably suck this year still, especially with 8 defensemen on 1-way contracts blocking exciting rookies from spots. Six of which are probably bottom-6 quality. Ohhhhh, I see.

Honestly, if they're not going to win it all, I'd rather they just really suck and hope for draft position. As long as they continue to wreck the Penguins.  why so serious?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 10:15:48 PM

I'm interested (as always) for the start of hockey. A lot of interesting things could happen this year. The off-season drama was.. interesting and brought to mind the NFL or NBA, but, oh well.

Oilers this year should be an interesting story. One of the best forward groups in the league.. and by and large they'll have a defensive core worthy of the Oakland Seals. Goaltending could be a massive issue as well (waiving Scrivens means the Oilers will have the least experienced starter/backup in the league... after two years straight of goalies absolutely shitting the bed). Be nice if they could find a way to move (or retire) Ference, but at least we now have a GM/Coach combo that will get shit done and things moving the right direction. We'll have more than 10 million in salary in the minors or pressbox! And that's a good thing! At least Schultz looks like he's turning things around (so far this pre-season he looks like a completely different player.. he actually looks like he gives a shit!). Eberle hurt sucks, though, especially with our first 20 games coming against playoff bound teams, or teams that were in the playoffs last year, and the Oilers having to learn how to be a team in the National Hockey League from an actual NHL Head Coach. Coiuld be a rough start, but I have the Oilers getting around 81 points this season. Not great, but much improved.

Most importantly, I can supplement my income with betting again, although I'm going to have a much smaller budget for it this year due to real life expenses.

And I'm still pissed about the Marincin trade.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 03:54:26 AM

I'm ready!

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 05:53:19 AM

Thats gold Fordel.

Who knows what the Bruins will do, we have some of the core left but our D Line could be fucking terrible if Chara and Seidenberg continue to regress.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
WayAbvPar

Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 08:09:59 AM

I could not be less excited. Jim "Tommy Boy" Benning has utterly destroyed the present and future hopes of the Canucks. They were going to need to rebuild, but starting the rebuilding off by signing Dorsett, Sbisa, and now Sutter to multiyear deals is just beyond idiotic. My only hope now is that the Sedins get traded somewhere else, and that Seattle unfucks itself and gets a team. Because the Canucks are set to have a decade of darkness just like the Oilers did after their SCF appearance.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 08:49:59 AM

Things are already spinning out in Philly...
http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=781257
Hextall puts MacDonald (5 years, 25$ million remaining on contract) on waivers... No takers so far. Flyers will save 1$ million cap if he is sent to AHL, but that's 4$ million dead space each year next 5 years.

My Habs haven't made any significant changes, hoping to stick with what worked for them last year. Price between the pipes being a top 3 goalie, and an excellent D in front of him, mostly vets with some offensive skill. They were slightly below average offensively last season, and no big splashes were made, but hoping to get decent seasons out of vet reclamation projects (Semin, Fleischman), along with upping their bottom 10 power play with some coaching changes, could lead to marginal overall offensive improvement.

And yeah, the Canucks seem boned...Even if they trade the Sedins for young/prospect talent, it's just a start. No guarantee of a quick rebound. Young talent can flop out, or a dumb GM can screw it up.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 08:57:01 AM by Speedy Cerviche »
WayAbvPar

Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 08:59:58 AM

I don't care what they get for them. I just want them to end their careers on a team that has a hope of winning a Cup. This one doesn't.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 09:24:58 AM

Would be tough to swing the trade with 14$ million, especially to a contender which are usually tight to cap already from their core players (who are usually pretty good, being contenders).

Montreal could swing it actually, would have to do something like Plekanec, Eller and Emelin going back, just for salary. Then I guess throw in pick/prospects (or Gallagher could be part of deal, but he's pretty valuable).
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 12:02:10 PM

Bo Horvat and Jake Virtanen have both looked really good in the pre-season for Vancouver.  Sven Baertschi was actually pretty decent as well, but who knows if that will last.  They did put two other young players,Frank Corrado and Linden Vey, on waivers so all is not rosey for the Canucks.  I see Vancouver either as a team that barely makes it into the playoffs and goes nowhere, like last year, or bombs out hard and gets a high lottery pick like they did the year before.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 10:14:54 PM

Things are already spinning out in Philly...
http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=781257
Hextall puts MacDonald (5 years, 25$ million remaining on contract) on waivers... No takers so far. Flyers will save 1$ million cap if he is sent to AHL, but that's 4$ million dead space each year next 5 years.

Spinning out? That's actually a fantastic move - MacDonald is pure garbage and has no role on the team. He's easily the worst defenseman they have, and the defense is horrendous.

At least this way he's not sucking up a roster spot. The dead cap space sucks, but that'll be less problematic if the cap continues to rise and as more of these bad contracts come off the books. I'm looking at you, Vinny and RJ...

And hey, maybe when expansion happens, they can make some kind of trade for future considerations, which includes taking MacDonald in the expansion draft.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 11:46:45 AM

Corrado on waivers was an unfortunate left over of the previous regime. Someone decided it would be brilliant to play Corrado in a playoff game against the Sharks in a series that was already a foregone conclusion. Had he not played that one meaningless game, he wouldn't have had to go on waivers this year.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 08:59:47 PM

It's going to be a long ass season here.

Long, Loooooong Season.  headache

Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 25, 2015, 09:38:32 PM

Whelp; Oilers got robbed of at least one point tonight by shoddy reffing and Toronto head offices. Goal dis-allowed with a clear replay showing it across the line. Nice to see the tradition of the NHL having the worst officiating continuing.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 26, 2015, 07:08:33 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qETBucb0KZQ

This is not clear at all... Quick's glove gets over it as it gets to line. I sure can't tell if it crossed or not.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 26, 2015, 08:23:02 AM

Agree with Speedy, it's not clear and even if it does cross the line (which it might not of) you can't see the puck so there's no way for the referee to overturn the on ice decision.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: October 26, 2015, 02:12:54 PM

I disagree, because of the movement of the puck (its in the air a bit, hits the glove, then hits the ice -- behind the line) we can tell it is actually behind the line; https://vine.co/v/eYaHt7LvF9O

Now, the Oilers got robbed of a point. As an Oiler fan I am pissed about it. That said, I understand why the no-goal was called. In today's age, however, there should be no doubt when a puck crosses the line, but the NHL doesn't seem to have the interest in using high end equipment to remove that issue. I mean, in the end it doesn't matter that the Oilers lost a point or two last night. But for playoffs? It should be sorted.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: December 14, 2015, 07:47:50 PM

The NHL all star voting has been going for a few weeks now and leading everyone in the voting is...John Scott. awesome, for real

https://allstarvote.nhl.com/en-us/LeaderBoard
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: December 15, 2015, 08:33:35 AM

Still not as big a joke as a bunch of sub .500 Western teams sitting in playoff positions. NHL needs to hurry up and balance the conference #s.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: December 15, 2015, 08:38:56 AM

The Jagr in second place!

Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: December 15, 2015, 11:02:32 PM

Still not as big a joke as a bunch of sub .500 Western teams sitting in playoff positions. NHL needs to hurry up and balance the conference #s.

Yes, because the East has never had a problem with that, even when the conferences had an equal number of teams, right? Do you not remember the South-East Division at all? At least wait until closer to the end of the season to start up such idiotic mumblings; as these things, especially out in the West, tend to get sorted out the closer to the end you get.

It is actually tougher to make the playoffs in the West, despite the fewer teams, because there are more quality teams.

This season you're seeing the standings oddity creep up because of a couple reasons, but primarily because there are no real bottom feeders emerging in the West (i.e.; the Oilers and Coyotes aren't complete shit-fests for once), which means fewer points for the other teams (a couple teams tried to emerge as a bottom feeder, like the Canucks, but they've gone all Eastern Conference with their Bettman points). But also because you have a lot more Bettman points out East (15+ more loser points), which inflates the number of points in the East compared to the West, because not all games are equal in terms of points awarded (which is retarded, but hey.. we call it the Bettman point for a reason).

There's a reason that as bad as teams like the Oilers have been the past few years, they still managed to get a decent amount of points; the Eastern conference (the Oilers, a team that was able to win only one game against their own division last year, were above 0.500 against the East; because the East is a cakewalk comparatively).

Personally, I wish every team played the other conference 41 times, and we could go back to the top 16 make the playoffs, with zero protected slots like you get now (and that helped a number of South-East division teams in the past..) but that'll never happen because the league is focused on forcing in-division rivalries.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: December 16, 2015, 08:02:33 AM

Youe continued insistence that the eastern conference is some kind of sub-NHL level hockey is just bordering on bizarre at this point, especially to forward the argument that it's somehow harder to make the playoffs in the west despite the fact that just due to straight up #s it's 15% easier because of spot availability per team.  You're argument that there are less bottom feeders also doesn't conform to actual facts since the west has 5/14 teams below W/L .500, while the east has 4/16 teams. If you want to go by true Bettman points .500 (which is on a pace for 92 pts), the west has 8/14 teams below .500, while the east has 7/16.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: December 16, 2015, 11:09:47 AM

Youe continued insistence that the eastern conference is some kind of sub-NHL level hockey is just bordering on bizarre at this point, especially to forward the argument that it's somehow harder to make the playoffs in the west despite the fact that just due to straight up #s it's 15% easier because of spot availability per team.  You're argument that there are less bottom feeders also doesn't conform to actual facts since the west has 5/14 teams below W/L .500, while the east has 4/16 teams. If you want to go by true Bettman points .500 (which is on a pace for 92 pts), the west has 8/14 teams below .500, while the east has 7/16.

Apart from a couple of teams, the entire eastern conference has been a giant shit show for the past 10 years.  Seven of the last ten Cups have been won by a western team (Detroit was in the west when they won in 2008) and apart from a fluke win by Carolina in 2006, the only teams from the east to win were Boston and Pittsburgh.  When you factor in how much lighter the travel schedule is for eastern teams in general, it makes their lack of success even more glaring.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: December 17, 2015, 04:27:24 AM

Meh, randomness and cycles. 7 out of 10 of those Cups were won by 2 teams. Is this really an arguement?

BTW Pittsburgh looks woeful this year. Couldn't happen to a bunch of nicer guys.. why so serious?

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #23 on: December 17, 2015, 07:29:45 AM

To quote one of my favorite hockey scholars, shut your yap.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: January 01, 2016, 10:49:27 AM

Really liking this Winter Classic camera work. Gets you more involved in the speed/movement of the play and also even manages to show a bit more ice.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: January 02, 2016, 12:46:37 PM

Ok, so...not only does John Scott make it into the all star game but he was named captain of the Pacific division. awesome, for real ACK! Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/john-scott-all-star-game-captain-1.3387236
WayAbvPar

Reply #26 on: January 03, 2016, 04:50:46 PM

Really liking this Winter Classic camera work. Gets you more involved in the speed/movement of the play and also even manages to show a bit more ice.

Habs sweaters were on point too.

Belasco
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: January 15, 2016, 10:16:21 PM

Ok, so...not only does John Scott make it into the all star game but he was named captain of the Pacific division. awesome, for real ACK! Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

John Scott will not only no longer be captaining the Pacific, but he will not be in the ASG at all.  Traded to Montreal as a throw-in in a weird three way deal (he literally has no trade value) and promptly sent to the AHL.

Depending on your belief in conspiracy theories, the NHL may have orchestrated this trade to get this exact result.  Too bad for Scott, he seemed to embrace the whole thing and be a good sport about it.

Oh and Go Hawks  tongue

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: January 17, 2016, 02:40:21 PM

John Scott will not only no longer be captaining the Pacific, but he will not be in the ASG at all.  Traded to Montreal as a throw-in in a weird three way deal (he literally has no trade value) and promptly sent to the AHL.

Depending on your belief in conspiracy theories, the NHL may have orchestrated this trade to get this exact result.  Too bad for Scott, he seemed to embrace the whole thing and be a good sport about it.

Oh and Go Hawks  tongue

If thats the case (and it seems like it is) then he should get the union to file a grievance on his behalf.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: January 18, 2016, 01:07:06 PM

The NHLPA is already threatening the NHL.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: January 31, 2016, 11:44:53 PM

And John Scott is your NHL All Star Game MVP! awesome, for real Heart

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/nhl-all-star-game-recap-1.3427978
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: February 01, 2016, 03:07:17 AM

Didn't watch the game (because, well, it's a pointless game), but I was thrilled to see Scott not only get the MVP, but that he actually earned it. Was also nice to see how the players/fans there thoroughly supported him and even a number of people in the media who bitched about him going admitted they were wrong.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: February 09, 2016, 09:56:16 AM

Leafs and Sens make a 9 player trade that includes Phaneuf.

http://www.tsn.ca/maple-leafs-deal-d-phaneuf-to-senators-in-nine-player-trade-1.435458

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: February 09, 2016, 11:48:11 AM

He is so bad. I get Ottawa is desperate for D-men but they will regret this.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: February 09, 2016, 10:19:26 PM

He is so bad. I get Ottawa is desperate for D-men but they will regret this.

Total agreement.

I remember when we (Toronto) made that big trade with Calgary and I thought 'man how did we manage this great deal!' not really grasping how big of a pylon Phaneuf actually was. He's a name that comes across as a solid player if you only have a vague idea of his play. Once you actually see it day in and day out though...  why so serious?

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NHL 2015-2016  
Jump to: