Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:13:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Battletech - The New Single Player game from those who made the new Shadowrun 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Battletech - The New Single Player game from those who made the new Shadowrun  (Read 83303 times)
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #175 on: May 03, 2018, 10:30:28 AM

BATTLETECH Post-Launch Roadmap

Really pondering whether I can resist playing too much before the June/July QoL changes (MechLab / Store / Salvage Improvements)

Oh good. A reason to wait. Busy Spring here, and I just don't need to get dragged down another 300+ hour rabbit hole of a game.

But it looks like the BattleTech game I've been wanting to play since the nineties...
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #176 on: May 03, 2018, 10:48:49 AM

Oh Christ, don't make the mistake of using your 3 salvage to pick the intact Banshee.

Sure, it's 95 tons.  It's 95 tons of pure suck.  What a shitty, shitty chassis.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #177 on: May 03, 2018, 02:17:31 PM

Not sure if you were there two days ago when someone asked me in Discord if Frostpunk was good and I said: "I think it is, but you know how it goes: do not trust Falconeer"  why so serious?

I can't hang with the Discord crowd.

The REAL red flag on this thread is the additional posts by Ironwood and Haemish.  It's a trifecta of incompatible taste in games, with the asterisk that it only counts for giant robots with Ironwood.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #178 on: May 03, 2018, 02:24:28 PM

I have learned to fear the LRM carriers. SRM carriers hit hard, but it's easy to get the jump on them. Demolishers hit like a kick from a mule, but if you can get a rear aspect on them they fold quick. Fucking LRM carriers can flood you with hundreds of missiles from halfway across the map, sandblasting you to shit and racking up the pilot injuries from head shots.

--Dave
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 02:27:59 PM by MahrinSkel »

--Signature Unclear
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #179 on: May 03, 2018, 05:22:40 PM

Not sure if you were there two days ago when someone asked me in Discord if Frostpunk was good and I said: "I think it is, but you know how it goes: do not trust Falconeer"  why so serious?

I can't hang with the Discord crowd.

The REAL red flag on this thread is the additional posts by Ironwood and Haemish.  It's a trifecta of incompatible taste in games, with the asterisk that it only counts for giant robots with Ironwood.
You really need to change your tastes, obviously.

This game has been kicking the crap out of me, but I think I’m getting the hang of it.  Just got a firestarter light mech, and had blast with it on the next mission.  May be first worthwhile light mech!   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #180 on: May 03, 2018, 05:44:43 PM

I finally stabilized my campaign - usually in the black, with 2-3 months of expenses in the bank. I'm not sure my mechs are optimized or my lance makeup is the best...but things generally get rolled.

However, getting assaulted in a 7 v 4 by 2 large mechs and a ton of lights was...not great. Still got through it, though I had to eject on one of my mechs.

And here's another tip - multi-targetting + breaching shot is great, as breaching shot is applied on a per target basis. For instance, I can shoot each of my two large lasers at different targets, get breaching shot on each, and then get breaching shot on some LRMs shot at a third target.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: May 03, 2018, 08:18:11 PM

Oh shit, I hadn't even thought of the multi-target/breaching shot combo.  That's awesome, thanks for the heads up!

Have you messed around with a Firestarter?  The one mission I used him in had me defending a base that was attacked by about 8 light mechs and 2 mediums (granted, had some turrent support).  Literally every single turn, the fire starter jump packed directly behind a light mech and destroyed about 80% of it (making it useless).  It just absolutely shreds light mechs.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #182 on: May 03, 2018, 08:56:35 PM

Hm it needed that though because otherwise Breaching shot is so whack compared to the fire then move or the move at one initiative faster ones.

Is there a better way to sell mechs than scraping them? I never see anything when I go to mech tab when in sell mode in the market.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 09:17:47 PM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Lightstalker
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: May 03, 2018, 10:48:38 PM

If they are in storage you can sell them from the store.
If they are in the Mech bay you have to sell them by scrapping when selected in the bay.
If you've filled your Mech bay and have complete salvage at the end of the mission you are forced to process (store or scrap) Mechs immediately to make room.  You can't act on the damaged ones.  I could see that being a problem before you've expanded your Mech Bay if you happen to complete a number of 2/3 Mechs while taking heavy damage on the mission.

I haven't noticed a difference in price from selling, scrapping, or stripping and selling all the components - the payout is so low and the differences (if any) so slight it just isn't work the clicks.  If you've got a system with a big friendly bonus (like 50%) it is worthwhile to store them up and sell them all at once.  The other systems at 10% up or down aren't really a big deal.  I say this with my monthly costs at around $800k, I could run through my 25 Mechs and $22M pretty quick if I just flew around looking for a better deal than the one I found right here.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #184 on: May 04, 2018, 01:13:16 AM

I like breaching shot even without the multi shooting. Nothing irks me more than having my AC20 dealing only 50 damage due to the enemy 'mech being guarded. That happens a lot. Breaching shot solves that and brings the AC20 back to its glory.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: May 04, 2018, 01:20:05 AM

1 - Yes, I do like the Giant Robots.  It's a fair Cop.  I have quite specific tastes when it comes to games though, so I'm not going to dispute you. :)

2 - SRM Carriers can be just as much of a dick ;  there's a story mission where you HAVE to squash some APCs and I ran towards a vehicle blip because it looked like the last one and it needed done ASAP.  Long story short, it was an SRM carrier that then single handedly and in one turn chewed up my Thunderbolt to nothing.  Nothing.  Like, literally a leg or two.  It was fucking brutal.

3 - Multi-Target and breaching shot are really good, but it's quite situation specific and, oddly, works best on a multi-lrm carrier, meaning that you need some Tactics too.

4 - Later on money is simply not an issue.  I'm at 12 million and counting because once you get a certain mech later that's gifted, you're swimming in Mech parts and that means mechs that can sell for 1.5m and up to the right buyer.  I really think that this game truly is weighted in terms of Salvage ;  if you're not taking salvage as your default on missions, you're just missing out.  Money is, ironically, worthless.  Further, I HAVE noticed a difference in price selling from scrapping mechlab and in the store - I think it's because in the store your notoriety comes into play, so the difference can sometimes be upwards of 10% due to that.  It all adds up.

5 - Final tip from my own shitty personal experience ;  In MWO, I always put ammo in the legs - in that game, it mostly makes sense.  If you do this in Battletech, you will know the true pain of a DFA ammo explosion.  Do not do this.  It is folly.  Choose wisely where you put ammo if you also want to jump on some fuckers head.

Anyways.  That patch yesterday seemed to speed things up a little for me too, so I'm still ultra addicted.

(Oh and just to add, I got one of those Ronin pilots and she was awesome and had high level skills.  Then her mech got the head removed.  I mean, like, early fight lucky straight shot to the cockpit, big black hole in the paperdoll where the head used to be.  She dead now.  And, 'cause she's Ronin, apparently Forever.  I may post that screenshot later in tribute.  But, man, this game can sometimes just fuck you hard.  Behemoth is the only one that's still with Captain Ironwood after all this time and you KNOW there's an AC20 round with her name on it out there somewhere....)

« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 02:07:46 AM by Ironwood »

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #186 on: May 04, 2018, 07:05:38 AM

Yeah, this game is pretty addicting.

I started out pretty slow getting the hang of it. At one point I actually timed it out to arrive at a planet for a contract the day before a finance report would have bankrupted me.

Doing better now, but still having a hard time keeping enough mechs in working shape. I ran a contract last night with just two mechs.

Oddity I've found - some times the game seems to completely refuse to let me shoot without moving first.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #187 on: May 04, 2018, 08:24:03 AM

I did the first real big story mission, the one where you

I'm doing ok on the mission. I did lose a Spider early to a fuckload of missles from a tank, but I was doing ok. The lance of light mechs from the Pirate Queen on that moon shows up and I'm taking care of them too. Behemoth is in my Shadow Hawk as usual, soaking up a bunch of damage, has taken a head hit but is mostly ok. Hasn't lost an arm or anything. Then the Quickdraw and the Shadow Hawk show up and I'm still doing ok. Until the pirate Shadow Hawk decides to get spicy and literally kicks my Shadow Hawk in the shins, somehow causing the mech's head to explode, killing Behemoth.

RIP.

EDIT:

I am an old skool Battletech player. I likely didn't play it as much as Ironwood, but I still have the original box I bought in the early '90's with unpainted plastic mechs, and somewhere in my house is a Mechwarrior Dog Tag that I got from somewhere. This game is right up my alley.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 08:26:37 AM by HaemishM »

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #188 on: May 04, 2018, 08:50:38 AM

Jump jets. Put them on everything. Even if it's just a couple on the big heavy bullet sponge you put out front to draw fire. DFA from a 75 ton Orion is pretty much guaranteed to kick the shit out of anything. But more importantly, being able to bunny-hop that embankment is a huge tactical and mobility upgrade. Downgrade a missile pack a notch, replace a PPC with a Large Laser (your heat budget will thank you), whatever it takes. A Trebuchet with a single LRM20 that can jump straight backwards to hide behind the ridge is worth far more than one with two LRM15's that gets mangled because they got a Jenner behind your line.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #189 on: May 04, 2018, 08:50:54 AM

Kick hitting head is a rule-lore crime. Tsk tsk, HareBrainedSchemes.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #190 on: May 04, 2018, 09:02:07 AM

Is there ever a reason to not move? Kind of seems to me that you should always move before shooting in terms of restoring evasion.
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: May 04, 2018, 09:16:37 AM

Hm it needed that though because otherwise Breaching shot is so whack compared to the fire then move or the move at one initiative faster ones.

Is there a better way to sell mechs than scraping them? I never see anything when I go to mech tab when in sell mode in the market.

Breaching shot has one purpose:  Using it with an Gauss or AC20 to frag a bulwarked mech.   It is VERY useful at that purpose.
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: May 04, 2018, 09:20:32 AM

Jump jets. Put them on everything. Even if it's just a couple on the big heavy bullet sponge you put out front to draw fire. DFA from a 75 ton Orion is pretty much guaranteed to kick the shit out of anything. But more importantly, being able to bunny-hop that embankment is a huge tactical and mobility upgrade. Downgrade a missile pack a notch, replace a PPC with a Large Laser (your heat budget will thank you), whatever it takes. A Trebuchet with a single LRM20 that can jump straight backwards to hide behind the ridge is worth far more than one with two LRM15's that gets mangled because they got a Jenner behind your line.

--Dave

SO much this.   When I am scouting the map on harder missions I always JJ my mech forward into an entrench.  The AI will tend to focus the closest mech  if no others are injured and a bulwarked heavy/assualt mech with 3+ pips is almost impossible to seriously damage in a single turn.

I also find on harder missions you shouldn't go for the objective immediately, head down the sides of the maps and scout those out SLOWLY.  It will activate hidden lances that you can take out sequentially.
cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #193 on: May 04, 2018, 09:45:42 AM

Is there ever a reason to not move? Kind of seems to me that you should always move before shooting in terms of restoring evasion.

Having Bulwark and being in a well armored mech. In that case evasion does not usually help as much as the extra defense.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

Reply #194 on: May 04, 2018, 09:57:45 AM

You should never directly approach the objective, it's always a trap. I always look for the approach that will put me uphill on the last leg, hitting what you shoot at is nice.

Did get mousetrapped that way once, light lance coming the north at high speed (and at the same altitude) while a heavy lance came in from the west. Had to stage a fighting retreat to the east punching out lights (literally, I melee'd three of them to finish them off). Even so, being able to retreat behind that ridge and deny the heavies direct fire until I had already killed all but one of the lights was the only reason I won that mission. But I lost a pilot (replacement I had picked up along the way since two of my originals were in the medbay) because I had to fight from the downslope against the heavies.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #195 on: May 04, 2018, 10:41:08 AM

OMG OMG.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #196 on: May 04, 2018, 11:05:43 AM

-Stephen Colbert
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #197 on: May 04, 2018, 11:24:45 AM

I've forgotten a lot about Battletech since I played. Is there a minimum number of jump jets you need to use them? Why does having 8 of them help as opposed to say... 6?

Lightstalker
Terracotta Army

Reply #198 on: May 04, 2018, 11:36:55 AM

I've forgotten a lot about Battletech since I played. Is there a minimum number of jump jets you need to use them? Why does having 8 of them help as opposed to say... 6?

You can have as many as your walking movement in hexes (e.g. about KPH/10).
Each jump jet was supposed to provide a hex of jump movement.  That also suggests you lose range as you suffer jump jet loss.
Weights were 0.5, 1, and 2? tons for the weight classes.

In MW II you'd always mount one so you could instantly jump-turn with your 0 inertia giant robot, I miss that. 
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #199 on: May 04, 2018, 11:37:06 AM

Jump distance.

It's weight divided by number of jets, or some such shit, with a multiplier for type, otherwise a Highlander would never get airborne.

While we're on this topic, I just got a random mission with a base surrounded by water.  If I hadn't had jets, I'd be proper fucked.  So.

amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #200 on: May 04, 2018, 11:59:49 AM

In my gaming FB group it is apparently an enormous issue with some folks that this game gave into the SJW's by including the pronoun "they" as one of the gender options.  My arm is not long enough to reflect the jerk off motion that is my soul that anyone cares about this.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 03:34:59 PM by amiable »
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #201 on: May 04, 2018, 01:09:43 PM

Your gaming group is full of assholes.

I am the .00000001428%
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #202 on: May 04, 2018, 02:12:40 PM

That goes without saying
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #203 on: May 04, 2018, 02:32:13 PM

Retards baiting/fighting/trolling retards.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Hoth
Terracotta Army

Reply #204 on: May 05, 2018, 12:51:48 AM

Oddity I've found - some times the game seems to completely refuse to let me shoot without moving first.

Usually that means you're facing the wrong direction for that shot and have to realign.
carnifex27
Terracotta Army

Reply #205 on: May 05, 2018, 04:35:49 AM

But riddle me this!  Why the fuck is it that when I schedule any mech for refit or repair, it tells me it will take 5 to 7 days.  Then when I start flying around, the actual completion time for these tasks is over 30 days.  Am I missing something?
Your mechlab can only work on one mech at a time. So if you are completely refitting a new mech and it's going to take 29 days and your repairing one that took some light damage and only needs 1 day, the second one will show up as ready in 30 days. Under the timeline there's a button that says "manage tasks" that let's you change the order of this, so you can schedule the light repairs before the refit. Like most of the UI, it's pretty easy to miss. I'm pretty sure I spent 5 very frustrated minutes trying to advance time the first time I played. I kept going into all the tabs without realizing that advance time was on the main screen for the Leopard.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #206 on: May 05, 2018, 05:57:57 AM

You missed a whole other page.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #207 on: May 05, 2018, 11:56:08 AM

Just did a non-story mission that was pretty easy and the payout was so massively fantastic that I was just stunned. I got like 140k credits for it, but something like 4 of 16 salvage choices. It let me finish the chassis of a Jenner and a Panther just from salvage. I was stunned. I just know the 3rd big story mission that is waiting in the wings is going to kick me in the balls so hard they'll get lodged in my throat.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #208 on: May 05, 2018, 12:59:30 PM

Well, I just found my first ever Victor, hit  him in the head and then blew out his CT by accident.

Shite.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #209 on: May 05, 2018, 02:05:55 PM

When it comes to salvage, is there an advantage to not completely wrecking enemy mechs in battle? Or core'ing them as quickly as possible?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Battletech - The New Single Player game from those who made the new Shadowrun  
Jump to: