Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:45:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Battletech - The New Single Player game from those who made the new Shadowrun 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Battletech - The New Single Player game from those who made the new Shadowrun  (Read 83306 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #140 on: April 30, 2018, 08:24:23 AM

Yes.  A Queue.

So, the 1st one is 7 days.  The next one is also seven days, but comes after, so 14 days.  The 3rd takes 7 days, but comes after both the first two, so 21 days.

Ya feel ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: April 30, 2018, 08:25:12 AM

Also, to be really helpful, there's a button at the bottom of the top right (!) called 'Manage Tasks'.  Click that and you can shunt your queue about so that your favourite mech gets priority and whatnot.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #142 on: April 30, 2018, 08:35:52 AM

ARG, ok, thanks.  I had thought of that, but like an idiot didn't put two and two together.  After the first mission I got the wreckage of a mech, and set a 30 day long task of repairing it, and forgot I'd done that.  For some reason, all of my tasks afterwards were taking over a month!

Pretend I posted some Scottish gif meme in an attempt to be funny and thankful, but is actually really dumb and insulting.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: April 30, 2018, 08:38:05 AM

Later on, the time to repair mechs drops substantially.   The medical bays, however, still seem to take their sweet time, even upgraded.

I've lost my main character to Bedridden twice now for 94 days each time.  It's...not fun.

That said, he just can't stop himself from abusing DFA, which is the best thing to come back into Battletech since EVER.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #144 on: April 30, 2018, 08:54:13 AM

"WARNING! LEG DAMAGE IMMINENT!" Yes thanks Betty, I suspected so  Heart Heart Heart Heart

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #145 on: April 30, 2018, 06:28:12 PM

How do you guys end up employing DFA? I tend to not use jump jets as much with my heavier mechs (because MOAR GUNZ), and the 80 or whatever damage to legs the UI indicates I would suffer is way more armor and structure than my light mechs have on their legs, so I'm afraid of breaking my mechs.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #146 on: April 30, 2018, 06:29:49 PM

Also, I'm very happy I somehow rescued my first campaign from the brink of bankruptcy - I had to finesse a mission or two using only two mechs, but now I am solidly back in the black and trying to pimp out some mechs. The key seems to be, similar to XCOM, to not get yourself too hurt because Good Lord those heal and repair times add up quick.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #147 on: April 30, 2018, 07:46:44 PM

Bought this today because of a nice 25% off coupon on GMG and made it through the first extended mission. Load times are bit long but otherwise, this game is solid.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: April 30, 2018, 11:09:04 PM

How do you guys end up employing DFA?

Often and with much fun.  Two locusts in a row with squishy heads.

Honestly, if I was thinking tactically, I'd only do it if I was cored or about to die or had lots of armor blow throw and weapons gone.

But it hurts like hell, has a decent chance of an insta kill and, frankly, I just can't help myself.  The engineer hates me due to how many legs he repairs.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: May 01, 2018, 12:15:54 AM

This game has been a great intro to the Battletech universe.  I can see why you guys rave so much.  Between this and Shadow Run, somebody needs to just give these guys infinite money and let them do what ever they want.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: May 01, 2018, 03:55:24 AM

Bought this today because of a nice 25% off coupon on GMG and made it through the first extended mission. Load times are bit long but otherwise, this game is solid.

I only got a 22% off coupon on GMG but I also ended up buying this and so far it has really scratched that Battletech itch I had almost managed to forget about.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: May 01, 2018, 07:41:33 AM

Hahahahah.  Death from Above Highlander.

ahhahahahah.

It's terrific.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #152 on: May 01, 2018, 07:51:15 AM

I got through the second mission, you know, the one where the story intentionally punches you in the balls by having your clients deny you your payout and blasting the shit out of your mechs? Fuckers. One of my mechs lasted, my main character is out for 110 days and 2 of my other 3 mech pilots are dead.

You guys weren't kidding about the difficulty.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #153 on: May 01, 2018, 07:57:35 AM

It's actually really refreshing.

-Stephen Colbert
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: May 01, 2018, 10:41:49 AM

HBS developer update- AMA summarized (self.Battletechgame)

Seems to be going well for the development team and hopefully they'll get to implement the things they are talking about (including making new content).
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #155 on: May 01, 2018, 01:09:32 PM

One animator? ... the fuck?

Get another one. This team needs to be have a truck full of money driven up to their door.

Jade Falcon
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: May 01, 2018, 01:41:28 PM

I got through the second mission, you know, the one where the story intentionally punches you in the balls by having your clients deny you your payout and blasting the shit out of your mechs? Fuckers. One of my mechs lasted, my main character is out for 110 days and 2 of my other 3 mech pilots are dead.

You guys weren't kidding about the difficulty.

I'm still trying to figure out the difficulty ratings. I do a skull and a half and it spawns two medium lances with tanks that hammer me, then I do a three and its kill two mechs some tanks and a few buildings that I walk through. I'm thinking the RNG is having a part in it.

DFAs are just to addicting, especially when you catch something squishy like a jenner or spider in the right position. Firestarter unloading all its flamers and mgs after it lands is pure win.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #157 on: May 01, 2018, 01:50:55 PM

The only thing I'm missing but not enough to pause playing it and figure out how to fix is how can you check enemies that are within sensor/visible range without going through the hassle of selecting one of your units and at least mapping out a move and torso twist that puts them within weapon arc?

I mean I played a tiny bit of TT and a lot of MWO/3065 etc but I'm really close to writing down a cheat sheet for what each tank has in terms of weap loadout/armor because I cant just take a look at them at the start of turns to refresh my terrible memory. Also Hunchies have a lot of variants, so far I've only see the 6ML one but I'd like to not be surprised if an AC20 version shows up ya know?

Ok so I figured out you can right click on enemy units to see their info, putting this here in case anyone else missed that.

Now my only complaints are that the terrain is poorly drawn/rendered so that its not crazy obvious where the passable/impassable terrain or los blocks are and I bet for many the lack of ui/feedback on best ranges for weapon systems sucks. I mean I know PPC have a minimum range, does the game even tell you that anywhere? If I didn't know the weapon stats already I could imagine being pretty pissed.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 01:53:27 PM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #158 on: May 01, 2018, 02:24:05 PM

I do know when you select an enemy, you can see the to-hit percentages for each weapon and choose whether to fire with it or not. Before you've moved? No idea.

Zetleft
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: May 01, 2018, 05:57:36 PM

I do know when you select an enemy, you can see the to-hit percentages for each weapon and choose whether to fire with it or not. Before you've moved? No idea.

Not sure if this is what you mean but when you click on a hex to move to and you can choose the direction to have your mech face, if you mouse-over but don't click on an enemy it shows percentages on every weapon system / or blank if it's not able to fire due to distance.  So you can hit esc to back out and try a difference hex and check your targets before you do the final click to confirm your move.  Saved me plenty of times of accidentally moving out of M Laser range.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #160 on: May 01, 2018, 06:27:45 PM

Urbanmechs are being made more common
Heart In love Love Letters

I've been into BT so long, my 3025 TR has a Marauder on the cover. Urbie was always my favorite munch-mech, almost as much fun as the custom Shadow Hawk with 14 rear facing small lasers.

The 'Backstabber' trick only worked once.  Creeping death from a horde of animatronic trashcans worked every time.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #161 on: May 02, 2018, 12:52:15 AM

Why are we even talking about DFA? You use up to 100 tons of bipedal metal to stomp on another mech's head by jumping on it. This should be explanation enough for anyone why it's fun to use.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

It's an expensive move though. Fun, but expensive.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: May 02, 2018, 01:56:37 AM

So, I did something OCD and daft.  Don't be me.

Got totally fed up with my messy mechlab so sent everything to store and then brought them back in a nice order.

Only to find it removes everything (I knew that) but doesn't bring it back ( I did not) also, doesn't remember what it was (I did not and got angry) and it has a 'show stock loadout' button that doesn't apply to the mechlab in any way (At this point what I knew and didn't wasn't relevant, since I was incensed) and worse there doesn't seem to be a template function at all, even though it's something the MWO community have been screaming about since day one and you'd think these guys would code in ( they did not) and then when you put another build in, you'd think it would be quick ( it is not) or cheap ( it is not) meaning you have to wait a week or two till you can even field a lance due to the queueing system.

So.  It's not about the game, as such, it's about me being a total fucking lickbag for the sake of my OCD.  If you have a similar issue, don't give in to it.  It's a fucking nightmare.

Also, I have too many mechs.  And most of them are shite.  Especially considering the LosTech Highlander makes most missions 3.5 skulls and under utterly trivial.

Jade Falcon
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: May 02, 2018, 07:46:53 AM

There should me a little window on the bottom middle of the chassis that says something like sniper assault or armoured brawler. ( I'm at work and cant look it up) but there should be a little exclamation mark in the corner of that that should show a recommended load out. that might help you with what your looking for.
cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #164 on: May 02, 2018, 09:20:03 AM

Not sure if this is what you mean but when you click on a hex to move to and you can choose the direction to have your mech face, if you mouse-over but don't click on an enemy it shows percentages on every weapon system / or blank if it's not able to fire due to distance.  So you can hit esc to back out and try a difference hex and check your targets before you do the final click to confirm your move.  Saved me plenty of times of accidentally moving out of M Laser range.

Also, before that, when you move your mouse around the possible walkable locations on the field you should see chevrons to the left and right of all enemies within line of sight (like << ENEMY >>). These change color according to whether your weapon types are in optimal range. Gold colored is optimal, silver is still ok but not perfect and I think red is for crappy odds but still able to fire and take off an evasion charge at least. Weapons out of range dont draw a chevron at all.

This saves a lot of time for the first rough scan of the battlefield and lets you find that one narrow distance where all your guns are in optimal range. After that you can still do Zetlefts method to get the precise percentages.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #165 on: May 02, 2018, 09:46:04 AM

The MechLab interface is a goddamn mess of obtuse design decisions. I want to refit my damage mech with the exact same loadout? Not only do I have a list of components that don't tell you which part they go in, I can only use what's in my mech bay inventory. Oh and I can't just tell Yang to go fucking buy a medium laser from there, I have to cancel out, go to the Store, buy the parts (hope I remember them!) then do the refit again?

What the fuck, guys?

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: May 02, 2018, 10:31:09 AM

Yeah.  That's why I said before 'IT NEEDS A PATCH'.  There are some decisions made that need rethought.

But it's still an awesomely addictive fucking game.  Takes me right back to Secondary School and you KNOW that was a fucking while back.

Lightstalker
Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: May 02, 2018, 02:33:21 PM

The Atlas skull difficulty rating is an estimate of the drop tonnage on the mission.  And each level represents 60 tons.  I'm not sure what discount the vehicles get, but you'll get heavier mech salvage on missions that are single lance, rather than those with waves of mechs.

Invest in the cockpit mods, they give you free pilot hit protection.  My main suffered 55+ hits throughout the campaign.  Take pirate and old mechwarrior missions to beat on enemies with partial armor.  Take missions against the Taurians for larger mech salvage in general.  I usually maxed contract salvage and churned the rebuilt mechs into cash.  Ended the game with 20M, 14 refit mechs, 8 elite warriors, and a mostly upgraded ship.  Managing that inventory is... crude right now.  I was thinking about writing an auto sell/buy tool to deal with the 137 heat sinks and 80 small jump jets I have lying around.

I just finished the storyline this morning and enjoyed it all the way through.  There are a lot of places for a patch to do good, especially in the overly authentic homage to MechWarrior I's planetary UI and UI waits generally (why have a barracks flyout when there is only ever one option? Why render the planet and all its clouds prior to clicking begin mission?).  I get periodic 30-120 second hangs during loading and the GPU will spin at 100% during gameplay idle periods, I suspect that is a driver issue or maybe a Unity issue because that kind of performance would raise eyebrows on an RC conversation.  But, I've got plenty more to do with the game, I just picked up my first Battlemaster today and haven't encountered an Atlas - so haven't experienced the traditional AC20 to the head yet.  And there is skirmishing to do as well.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #168 on: May 02, 2018, 06:48:03 PM

Hey, a question. Why aren't tanks a better way to go than mechwarriors?

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I'm liking it still. Though it's genuinely difficult.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #169 on: May 02, 2018, 08:53:16 PM

I would argue they are.  A tank cored my main mech in the second mission.    awesome, for real
Lightstalker
Terracotta Army

Reply #170 on: May 02, 2018, 08:55:48 PM

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I'm liking it still. Though it's genuinely difficult.

Tank crews share the glory, Mechwarriors are individual gods.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I walked around a corner into 8 striker light tanks and that Mech spent the rest of its brief existence lying down.  It is also 'fun' when the Demolisher and SRM carrier reinforcements spawn on top of you.

Later missions have their reinforcements spawn from the start, some kind of known bug?  I certainly didn't notice the continuity break in the first half of the campaign (you'll get all the reinforcement warnings after everyone is dead).  Made some fights near the end much more difficult, those LRM carriers demand your attention, but you'll lose whomever you send because those 8 Mechs are standing right there shooting at you.  There is also a lot of random unit selection built in, so missions can be very different on replay or different playthroughs.  I noticed after a crash (only had 2 AVs on my playthrough) when I didn't get to face a Black Knight the second time through so I missed that salvage opportunity.  Facing a Jenner vs. a Locust is also a big difference in the early campaigns.  Missions that were hard for one person may be trivial for others simply due to the mix of opponents.

I jumped up a cliff with a Grasshopper in one of the priority missions and triggered a 4 Mech drop 2 hexes away.  Thunderbolt, Quickdraw, Vindicator, Trebuchet.  Grasshopper couldn't break contact from that close, got knocked down by missiles twice, and survived one firing round.  Fortunately the two Highlanders and King Crab making up the rest of the lance were able to finish the mission.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #171 on: May 03, 2018, 02:50:57 AM

BATTLETECH Post-Launch Roadmap

Really pondering whether I can resist playing too much before the June/July QoL changes (MechLab / Store / Salvage Improvements)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #172 on: May 03, 2018, 02:55:20 AM

What's the Multiplayer like  ?  I've seen almost all of you pop up on Steam playing this and the urge to be crushed by you is rather strong.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #173 on: May 03, 2018, 04:07:23 AM

I like it. I have been playing around recently with the idea of setting up a Grand f13 Tournament following our old and gold Blood Bowl tradition.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #174 on: May 03, 2018, 04:50:23 AM

I'm borderline depressed over the fact that you can't do company vs company in skirmish mode.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Battletech - The New Single Player game from those who made the new Shadowrun  
Jump to: