Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:06:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Battletech - The New Single Player game from those who made the new Shadowrun 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Battletech - The New Single Player game from those who made the new Shadowrun  (Read 83294 times)
cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #105 on: April 26, 2018, 01:00:21 PM

The story missions continue to deal out quite a lot of damage... At least they give plenty of money for the repair bill.

Also I got my first heavy mech out of this one because I got lucky and destroyed the head of the "boss" mech. Yay!

Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: April 26, 2018, 01:06:49 PM

You can change that. Mine is called Threash's Terrible Trio. Yes, i know there is four.

Maybe the fourth isn't terrible, but only moderately bad?

Anyhoo, thanks...this name works much better:

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #107 on: April 26, 2018, 03:17:22 PM

Do,they have Solaris VII arena combat?
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #108 on: April 26, 2018, 03:36:03 PM

No. But as MWO just demonstrated, it would be absolutely useless and not fun. With that said, you can set up all the multiplayer games you want with all the rules you want including 1v1 if that's your thing.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: April 26, 2018, 03:59:10 PM

Ok, I'm past the first 'story' bit and did the first random paying mission.

I'm liking this a lot.  It could be a lot better, but I suspect that so could I, so I'll withhold criticism for now.

But it's sure as hell fun.

One question though ;  there's not a lot of feedback as to 'what just happened'.  Am I missing something I can switch on ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: April 26, 2018, 04:32:48 PM

Go and talk to the repair guy.  One of his dialogs opens up a list of tutorial topics.  The one on combat gives broad overviews of Stability, Evasion, pilot injuries, etc.  All the little status bars and symbols and chevrons on each mech's nameplate make more sense then.

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: April 27, 2018, 01:28:03 AM

No there is not much in terms of explanations or combat logs, but there isn't too much to keep track of anyway. Damage numbers are gray for armour and orange for internal. Damages are higher in this version of the game as opposed to tabletop or  even MWO, that's to make it more granular and allow for rare weapons of different manufacturers. So you could see big numbrrs  and wonder why nothing exploded, that's because they increased armour and structure accordingly. Rightk clicking any 'mech allows you to check their state and hovering on single parts tells you the state of that section including what components are in it. The "health bars" over the 'mechs can be misleading as they show total armour and structure, but one or more single parts could be close to collapsing even though the total armour is still high. Also, the tiny tanks are confusing too as they have quite some armour but very little structure so sometimes they explode with one hit, and sometimes you have to pepper them over and over. It is all about your damage being spread or focused, and that is in the rngGod's hands.

Guarded, Entrenched and Evasion can be vague too at first. Guarded reduces the damage you take from the front (gained by being in a forest or by "bracing"), entrenched reduces the stability damage (yellow pips under the heat bar, makes you fall over if it is full), and evasion simply makes you harder to hit. The farther away you move (or jump) the harder you are to hit. This is reflected with evasion pips (chevrons > ) that are taken away with every single consecutive shot even if missed. So sometimes it is useful to shoot an impossible shot on a target so that your next 'mech in line will have an easier one.

Sorry if I only repeated things you already knew. Turns out that having played the tabletop gelps immensely.

Edit: spelling.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 01:34:54 AM by Falconeer »

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: April 27, 2018, 01:43:19 AM

Yeah, I was a big BT tabletop guy, then I lost weight.

What I really meant was a combat log beyond 'numbers that fly off your mech and then dissappear'.  If there ain't one of them, that's cool.  I guess I'll just check my mech like some kind of OCD fuckhead after every shot.

why so serious?

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: April 27, 2018, 07:26:08 AM

I also love the art and the music.

I actually sit there and watch the title sequence each time the game starts up.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #114 on: April 27, 2018, 07:28:54 AM

No. But as MWO just demonstrated, it would be absolutely useless and not fun. With that said, you can set up all the multiplayer games you want with all the rules you want including 1v1 if that's your thing.

No, I wasn’t talking about multiplayer I was more interested in whether it’s part of the single player campaign. It’s that Solaris VII was an essential part of the Mechwarrior RPG and this seems like the closest thing to that.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: April 27, 2018, 07:50:48 AM

Oh well then it could be part of the story but it doesn't seem to be the case. In this chapter you are leading a mercenary company operating, with a cause, mostly in the periphery.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: April 27, 2018, 08:38:14 AM

I like it. I don't see what all the Steam whining about it being slow is about.

I don't quite get why I should reserve the turns of some mechs--I thought that might be like an X-Com overwatch thing but it doesn't seem to be.

A bit hard at times to figure out what to do with the little fast mechs. AI's pretty decent at figuring out which of your mechs to target (which are damaged/vulnerable).

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: April 27, 2018, 08:52:05 AM

Light fast 'mechs are exactly the ones you want to use Reserve on. First of all, make sure they keep moving and going as fast as possible. Their only chance at survival is being hard to hit. For that, they always need 4 pips of Evasion. Second, those pips are gonna stay there until someone remove them by shooting at them, or they move again. Because of this, by "reserving" your light 'mech move until the end of the round you can achieve two things. First, you kind of keep up the EC (Evasion Charges/Chevrons) for the whole round. And second, if you manage to move last, you can still move first in the following round. This can technically give you two rounds in one, allowing you to move (at the end of a round, due to reserving), shoot, and then use your normal move at the beginning of the next round to run away. Using this strategy allows for what they were designed: hit and run.

Another super important function of light 'mechs is Sensor Lock. Without Sensor Lock a light 'mech is really gimped in my opinion. You don't need a light 'mech to shoot so much in a round, but you absolutely want to use their speed and ability to go "double round" to place them behind enemy lines and force the enemy to turn around and chase if they are silly, or ignore them and get Sensor Locked over and over. Until the Light can finally stalk in and start pepper the back of the slower Assaults.

Finally, you can use Reserve with all 'mechs when you are not in immediate danger and want for the enemy to come out a bit more. Also, you may have some Evasion Charges from your previous round left, and this turn you plan on moving less. As a result, you would swap the many ECs from the previous round for the few of this rounds movememnt, so it's not a bad idea to wait, let someone else (even the enemy) act before you do so you can keep up some ECs or simply have them expose to shoot at you so you can shoot back in case you feel the trading would benefit you, but you were in no position to initiate it.

Jade Falcon
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: April 27, 2018, 09:00:27 AM

I was doing some merc mission to liberate a parts depot I think it was. Was pretty happy with how the tactics played out taking basically armour damage only, Then I got word the ldrop ship was inbound for extraction and it landed on my firestarter >.< Mech destroyed pilot killed. :/
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: April 27, 2018, 09:04:17 AM

You didn't see the big red Xs? I heard it's a bug. You are not alone :/

Jade Falcon
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: April 27, 2018, 09:09:32 AM

I saw it just after I clicked to move him into position for a death from above attack. So not entirely the games fault I should have been paying better attention but DFA with a firestarter is too much fun to pass up. :)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #121 on: April 27, 2018, 10:51:00 AM

When we update the forum software, can we flag threads which have posts above a certain integer threshold from Falconeer?

I do think we would have a blast drinking together, but I want to steer away from his gaming recommendations.

LOVE YOU FALC

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: April 27, 2018, 11:09:54 AM

[Message deleted]

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: April 27, 2018, 11:20:52 AM

Ok, good to know on Reserve, it's kind of how it's been working for me, and I've been using the Falcon to see if I can't sucker one or two enemy mechs away from the main pack.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: April 27, 2018, 11:22:09 AM

Just buy the game already Yeg.

As far as reserve goes, that’s how I flank and murder medium mechs with my melee locust.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: April 27, 2018, 11:45:51 AM

I was doing some merc mission to liberate a parts depot I think it was. Was pretty happy with how the tactics played out taking basically armour damage only, Then I got word the ldrop ship was inbound for extraction and it landed on my firestarter >.< Mech destroyed pilot killed. :/

That's gonna be a lotta dice for the DFA damage role :D

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #126 on: April 27, 2018, 12:39:11 PM

[Message deleted]

I do think we would have a great conversation in real life.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: April 27, 2018, 01:14:19 PM

Not sure if you were there two days ago when someone asked me in Discord if Frostpunk was good and I said: "I think it is, but you know how it goes: do not trust Falconeer"  why so serious?

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: April 28, 2018, 12:26:48 AM

lol

carnifex27
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: April 28, 2018, 01:03:51 AM

And second, if you manage to move last, you can still move first in the following round. This can technically give you two rounds in one, allowing you to move (at the end of a round, due to reserving), shoot, and then use your normal move at the beginning of the next round to run away. Using this strategy allows for what they were designed: hit and run.

If you get Ace Pilot, the level 8 piloting skill, you can shoot and then move. So you reserve until the unit goes last, move and attack. Then at the beginning of the next round, you can attack and then run away. I'm far enough into the game that I'm running a medium and three heavies, so now it's my Shadowhawk that does this.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: April 28, 2018, 02:35:25 PM

Oh, there's an option in there that's 'Show UI During Enemy Turn' or some such shit.  That's really what I was looking for.  Found it !

Grinding away at about 2 Skulls danger.  The Convoy one was bullshit, so I'm building back up.  Good game.  Needs a fucking patch badly, but good.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: April 28, 2018, 04:20:54 PM

What's not to love about this game?

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: April 28, 2018, 07:41:55 PM

What's not to love about this game?

I must have this game.
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: April 28, 2018, 11:15:56 PM

Oh, there's an option in there that's 'Show UI During Enemy Turn' or some such shit.  That's really what I was looking for.  Found it !

That is a nice quality-of-life improvement, thank you for that tip

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #134 on: April 28, 2018, 11:38:08 PM

Just finished the first few intro missions. That last was a bit of a doozy; didn't quite have the endurance to do it clean, or at least I wasn't patient enough to just fling missiles until I needed to engage.

1 pilot dead, 2 pilots injured, mechwarrior injured for 110 days, all four mechs beat to crap and requiring full refits.

That mission was a bit deceiving - sure, it gave more than a million cbills, but now I'm just pissing them away while people heal up and mechs get fixed - I only have 1 workable mech at the moment, and it's a useless light mech.

Game is still good.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: April 29, 2018, 01:51:54 AM

Here's the trick ;  The Story mission lure you in with large monies.  It's because they're going to FUCK you.  When doing the story missions, take the salvage instead and, in between, do as many boring wee 'find the lance' missions as you can.

I have a 6 mill buffer and I'm just toodling around with 2 bays and around 11 mechs because SOD that Story mission that's so fucking hard and I can't be bothered with that shit.  Story missions seem to be just a way to gate the bigger mechs to you.

In other news, failing a convey mission on ONE point of damage on the last APC.  Literally ONE point.  Thank fuck they at least pay you for the secondaries - though if you fail, they seem to pick your salvage, so I walked away from that one with a single heat sink.   Ohhhhh, I see.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: April 29, 2018, 04:36:22 AM

Save scumming on a tough fight with a lance that showed up after the convoy escaped. I know I can beat it but it's driving me nuts.

The story missions are definitely brutal on purpose. The prison one was ugly for me, no matter how I came at it. AI  is pretty good at not letting you hang back and do LRMs all the live long day, too.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #137 on: April 29, 2018, 06:48:42 PM

Is it just me, or are the LRMs not even that great? Perhaps useful to strip an evasion pip, but it seems pretty tough to kill with a bunch of LRMs.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Lightstalker
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: April 29, 2018, 07:38:21 PM

LRMs are for knocking things down.  Then everyone gets called shots.  And the over hard cover kill using a sensor lock.  SRMs and MGs are the superior critical engine, once you've punched a hole.

SRMs with +4 damage are pretty great at punching holes too, though.  Grasshopper with 5 MGs usually runs out of ammo before the "suffering critical hits" portion of the fight, so it is all good.  Until it isn't and you lose your 500 days service meat.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 09:17:14 PM by Lightstalker »
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #139 on: April 30, 2018, 08:07:20 AM

Ok, Kickstarted this game, and finally got time to mess around with it.  Really loving it so far, and I've never played a single Mechwarrior or Battletech game (physical or PC) in my life (I know, nerd crime, but I was a poor starving redneck nerd growing up).  I can already tell I'm going to love all the various minutia of the game and its systems.  I loved everything they did with the Shadow Run games, so this was a no brainer kickstarter even though I have almost no familiarity with the host material.  Somebody needs to give these guys a real budget.

But riddle me this!  Why the fuck is it that when I schedule any mech for refit or repair, it tells me it will take 5 to 7 days.  Then when I start flying around, the actual completion time for these tasks is over 30 days.  Am I missing something?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Battletech - The New Single Player game from those who made the new Shadowrun  
Jump to: