Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:41:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Battletech - The New Single Player game from those who made the new Shadowrun 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Battletech - The New Single Player game from those who made the new Shadowrun  (Read 83291 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: September 30, 2015, 10:33:52 AM

I'm caught in a time loop here.  The same thread, the same replies, the same hope as MechWarrior Online.

Guys, the Clans will happen.  Can we not even argue about this ?

I've never really played any of the battletech/mechwarrior games, and only am vaguely aware of the lore.  Just did a quick wiki on the clan invasion plot point. 

Why are the clans bad, and everybody here hates them?

Time loop.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: September 30, 2015, 10:49:27 AM

Heh.

Munchkinism and time loops.  This is going to turn into a thread about Star Trek any moment now...

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #37 on: September 30, 2015, 11:10:06 AM

1M, and expanded single player campaign stretch goal reached, in exactly 25 hours.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: September 30, 2015, 11:11:27 AM

If only PGI had 1/5 of the talent and common sense these HBS folks seem to have...

You said exactly the same thing about PGI... Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Hic sunt dracones.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: September 30, 2015, 11:22:33 AM

If only PGI had 1/5 of the talent and common sense these HBS folks seem to have...

You said exactly the same thing about PGI... Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

What did I say? "If only <?> had 1/5 of the talent and common sense these PGI folks seem to have?" I said that? And who was <?>
Not sure you are making sense.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #40 on: September 30, 2015, 11:25:10 AM

That little interview bit with Jordan Weisman about the granularity of the mech lab stuff... SPROING.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pusZXECS0mM

Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: September 30, 2015, 11:38:01 AM

Some info that is circulating from the Battletech creator (both of the original TT and of this game) Jordan Weisman.

BattleTech will be a turn-based title for modern PCs. This means Weisman and company have the chance to render the game's mechs in far greater detail than was previously possible. This isn't just from a graphics standpoint though. Instead, Harebrained wants your mech design choices to directly affect your gameplay.

"Those mechs are going to be rendered in great detail from a system standpoint," said Weisman. "One of the things I want to do is make sure that Mech Lab/Mech Design components have a stronger causal link between the design and the performance of the mechs. Obviously, you've got weapons and armor, but I want to dive deeper than that."

That's... really interesting to me.  I've had this vague idea for a while now that merges tabletop RPGs with computers, but every time I've seen it attempted it's been kind of pointless.  Like Neverwinter Nights, which was a decent game IMO, but the rules in combat were just the tabletop rules straight ported to the PC (more or less) and those rules could be easily implemented with dice and a pencil.  All the processing power of the PC was just used for graphics.  Tabletop RPGs strive for balance between simplicity (for ease of play) and complexity (for realism and deeper strategy), but if you were designing a game specifically for PC there's no reason you'd need to use a rule set that can also be resolved by a kid with some dice and a fifth grade education.

Every Mechwarrior game I've seen runs in to this problem, that the basic systems underlying the board game rules are really mathematically simple, and it causes all kinds of problems with balance while trying to be "faithful" to the original rules.  This sounds like they're willing to change things up a bit, which sounds good to me.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: September 30, 2015, 11:50:56 AM

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/battletech/posts/1368475?ref=backer_project_update

As you will see, we have added several key targets on our march to STAGE 3.

$1,100,000 - Cinematic Transitions: We'll add short cutscenes for various events in game - such as deploying your forces to the battlefield - and for key moments in the single-player story.
$1,200,000 - Player-Character Origin Stories: In BATTLETECH, you’ll create your own mercenary character to star in the story. If we hit this funding level, you'll be able to choose one of six origin stories for your mercenary commander's career. Are you the only heir of a once noble family that has since fallen from favor? The bastard child of a famous MechWarrior? You decide.
$1,350,000 - Voice Acting: We'll record a cast of talented voice actors to act as your advisers, provide mission briefings, and record battlefield emotes. We’ll also add voice acting to the animatics for important moments in the story.
$1,550,000: 3D MechWarrior Portrait Customization: We'll build a complete 3D portrait customization system for you to customize the look of both your MechWarriors and your own Mercenary commander.

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: September 30, 2015, 12:42:57 PM

Man, I hope Weisman can keep a cooler head in the face of all this funding than Roberts. I would really, really hate to see unattainable levels of stretch goals fouling up getting the base game out.

As far as the clans, well, from a story point of view they were fine. From a tabletop point of view, not so much, unless you were willing to set up asymmetrical games, where the Inner Sphere forces were allowed to place more mechs on the field. Or, since we were playing the game with heavy RPG elements, understand from the get go that you would be fighting a losing battle, and your primary goal would be to fall back fighting and save as much of your force as you could.

But our most enjoyable scenarios always involved playing 3025 with an emphasis on the post apocalyptic quasi medieval setting, where mechwarriors were the equivalent of knights of old, and the mechs their armor. The technology was poorly understood, and the technicians in charge of the mech maintenance more priesthood than engineers. You might wake up to the light of an oil lantern, ride a horse out to your machine, and be hoisted up to the cockpit by your team hauling on ropes.

Yeah, kinda like Firefly handled high and low tech in the same setting, but twenty years earlier.

But that said, that setting makes a poor computer game. Gamers *always* want to build their own mechs and then constantly tinker with the loadout. And the munchkins will quickly figure out what is the optimum loadout for any mech class, and get really pissed if you try to impose some "roleplaying" limit (such as lack of supply) on their ability to build exactly the machine they want.

But we'll see. I'm still giving them money.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: September 30, 2015, 12:51:24 PM

But that said, that setting makes a poor computer game. Gamers *always* want to build their own mechs and then constantly tinker with the loadout. And the munchkins will quickly figure out what is the optimum loadout for any mech class, and get really pissed if you try to impose some "roleplaying" limit (such as lack of supply) on their ability to build exactly the machine they want.

But we'll see. I'm still giving them money.

Easy mode vs hard mode. Hopefully it's just an adjustable option. I hope there's a scrap/salvage option in game that means you can customize your mech but only to the extent you can get your hands on parts.

I think we have higher hopes for HBS because they've produced playable games in the last 5 years (Shadowrun series), they aren't going way out technically with this game and lastly they've already prefunded a version of the game.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: September 30, 2015, 01:30:30 PM

But our most enjoyable scenarios always involved playing 3025 with an emphasis on the post apocalyptic quasi medieval setting, where mechwarriors were the equivalent of knights of old, and the mechs their armor. The technology was poorly understood, and the technicians in charge of the mech maintenance more priesthood than engineers. You might wake up to the light of an oil lantern, ride a horse out to your machine, and be hoisted up to the cockpit by your team hauling on ropes.

Uhhh, where was that ever displayed in the lore or setting? Even at their lowest point they still had modern technology. The IS bombing itself to the 'stone age' wasn't literal, they still had the ability to make cars and radios and shampoo and shit. They lost the ability to make the super Sci-Fi stuff from the Starleague, like the ability to Terra-form planets and make super advanced space ships/computers.

That noble was driven to his mech which was kept in a hanger with industrial hoists and cranes.  why so serious?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #46 on: September 30, 2015, 01:32:20 PM

Sounds like a mashup of WH40K and BT.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #47 on: September 30, 2015, 03:18:19 PM

Man, I hope Weisman can keep a cooler head in the face of all this funding than Roberts. I would really, really hate to see unattainable levels of stretch goals fouling up getting the base game out.

This team has done a fantastic job of delivering on their previous kickstarter game projects -- while that's not a guarantee that they'll never screw up, they seem to have a pretty good handle on things.

In particular, it seems like maintaining momentum is important in these funding campaigns.  I would not at all be surprised if the additional "sub goals" were planned out ahead of time, but are only being rolled out as the major goals are crossed -- to keep people excited and so that there's always a "closer" goal to hit (wow, if I back now they're that much closer to X!) but not make the top end goals seem too distant.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 03:22:25 PM by Quinton »
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: September 30, 2015, 05:28:48 PM

Uhhh, where was that ever displayed in the lore or setting? Even at their lowest point they still had modern technology. The IS bombing itself to the 'stone age' wasn't literal, they still had the ability to make cars and radios and shampoo and shit. They lost the ability to make the super Sci-Fi stuff from the Starleague, like the ability to Terra-form planets and make super advanced space ships/computers.

That noble was driven to his mech which was kept in a hanger with industrial hoists and cranes.  why so serious?

I should note that we were campaigning in the Periphery. It was rougher out there.

But even the Inner Sphere lost much of the mechtech of old. Yeah, they had cars and stuff -- but still a long ways from Star League.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #49 on: September 30, 2015, 10:08:56 PM

Yeah, we had a long-running campaign, and then a fill-in GM decided to make the prizes for a Solaris challenge a big pile of Lostech....

It was fun for about a week or two, then I was the only one with DHS, because I traded literally everything else for the monopoly. I'd run the numbers, without DHS the Lostech beam weapons weren't much of an improvement, and the rest of it was ammo limited. But even standard beam weapons with DHS....

Why yes, I did represent the Lollipop Guild.

--Dave (I think I've mentioned that my 3025 TR has a Marauder on the front?)

--Signature Unclear
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: October 01, 2015, 04:15:24 AM

I should note that we were campaigning in the Periphery. It was rougher out there.

But even the Inner Sphere lost much of the mechtech of old. Yeah, they had cars and stuff -- but still a long ways from Star League.

The periphery was always a shit hole though, even during the Star league era. It would be like trying to describe America's general tech level by going by what happens in rural Mississippi  why so serious?

The truly off-putting and hard to reconcile aspect of Btech is it's a vision of the future from the 80s. Where things like smart phones and flat panel monitors were outlandish and ridiculous things not be included in a more grounded and 'realistic' setting. Lots of those bright neon laser grids and shit.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: October 01, 2015, 04:21:27 AM

The truly off-putting and hard to reconcile aspect of Btech is it's a vision of the future from the 80s. Where things like smart phones and flat panel monitors were outlandish and ridiculous things not be included in a more grounded and 'realistic' setting. Lots of those bright neon laser grids and shit.

To me that's 90% of the appeal though.

Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: October 01, 2015, 09:56:53 AM

We had some truly amazing battletech campaigns, from humble 1v1 or 2v2 solaris matches to entire floors filled with maps in battalion sized battles.

Almost all the campaigns ignored clan era tech unless they were clan focused.  We did occasionally use some robust house rules for salvage, pilot advancement, house/merc prestige and a really amazing engine explosion ruleset that was known to set off chain reactions and leave battlefields smoking ruins.  We did end up using advanced inner sphere tech in some games, depending on who was running.  Turns out, dropship armor is astonishingly thin. 

Also, lots of tanks.

backing is sitting at 1.2M, pity the only thing I still care about is the expanded merc campaign..
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: October 01, 2015, 10:15:22 AM

I think it's pretty obvious that all stretch goals will be achieved.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: October 02, 2015, 04:12:21 PM

One of the more treacherous elements that we’d like to include in the Stage 3 Expanded Mercenary Campaign is negotiating contracts with potential employers - who can be anyone from the leader of a local farming cooperative, to the crown prince of a Great House.

We are currently thinking that mercenary contracts will contain a variety of clauses or terms that can be negotiated. For example, you might trade a higher initial downpayment for increased salvage rights on a given mission. Or, insist that the client provide some of their own military support for a particularly dicey operation, in exchange for a reduction in fees for completing a mission objective.

You may decide to negotiate and try to improve a specific clause in your contract, but remember - it’s a negotiation, so improving the terms in one area may cause the employer to worsen the terms in another. Ideally, different employers will have different contract terms they’re prepared to negotiate and “hot button” issues that may result in negative reactions if pressed too hard. We like the idea that over time you might learn the negotiating style of a particular representative, and thus improve your negotiating success rate with them.

In BATTLETECH, an employer’s agenda isn’t always what it seems. Don’t be surprised if the minor noble from House Marik who’s assigned to negotiate with you slips a little something for herself into your mission objectives. Going out of your way to accomplish that objective might earn you more favorable terms on future contracts, but at what cost?

One of our design goals in the Stage 3 Expanded Mercenary Campaign is make both how you negotiate and execute on contracts with a given employer affect your reputation with *that employer.* Likewise, the Noble Houses and Periphery Kings who are targets of those contracts will remember your combat actions against them. The sum of these actions determines your reputation with each faction in the game - and your reputation determines the contracts and terms they offer.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: October 21, 2015, 11:51:48 AM

They hit stage 3 with 1.8mil btw.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: October 21, 2015, 12:25:15 PM

I am disappointed to realize they might not hit 2.5M. I still think they will, cause eventually should they be far away fromn it people like me who pledged 25$ would totally double it to 50$ hoping to push it beyond the PvP stretch goal, but it's interesting to see how much of a true 'alpha strike' this campaign was: 1M in 24 hours, 800K in the next 20 days.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: October 21, 2015, 04:50:44 PM

I'm totally happy with it finishing on Stage 3.  Good luck on it making it to Stage 4, though, Falc.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: October 22, 2015, 10:42:52 AM

I'm totally happy with it finishing on Stage 3.  Good luck on it making it to Stage 4, though, Falc.

Same here, I would probably have caved and backed at the basic preorder level if it looked like it was struggling to make stage 3 but now that it has I can wait for launch to buy it.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: October 30, 2015, 03:32:39 PM

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: November 02, 2015, 07:36:23 AM

It reached the last stretch goal of 2.5 M with roughly 24 hours to spare. So multiplayer with matchmaker and leaderboards is in. Now all we have to do is wait a couple of years.

So what happens now that the project has passed $2,500,000? Will we add additional funding goals and make the game even larger in scope?

No.

As we said in our first Live Stream Twitch Q&A session, after Stage 4 is unlocked, additional funding will go towards polishing the features and content we’ve already committed to. After that, any additional funds will go toward funding a Post-Launch Live Team that will continue developing additional features and content. First among them will be Cooperative Multiplayer, which will allow you and a friend to face-off against AI opponents.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: November 02, 2015, 07:56:21 AM

This will be come known as an industry standard 'we are not Star Citizen' response. Co-op multiplayer would be nice. Looking forward to this!

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #62 on: November 02, 2015, 08:24:00 AM

Please don't suck, please don't suck, please don't suck.

Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #63 on: November 02, 2015, 09:46:01 AM

They've done a fine job with SRR.  I hope they keep up the excellent work here.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: August 04, 2016, 06:11:45 PM

First pre pre pre pre alpha video showing gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjEeDz51pHE

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: August 06, 2016, 08:32:56 PM

The Atlas getting taken out by a single lucky headshot before it could get into the fight looks pretty close to canon BT for me!  awesome, for real

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: August 07, 2016, 05:15:23 AM

If its anything like my games, every shot of mine will barely miss, while their first volley will go internal and blow out the Gyro.  why so serious?

Hic sunt dracones.
apocrypha
Terracotta Army

Planes? Shit, I'm terrified to get in my car now!

Reply #67 on: August 07, 2016, 11:01:44 AM

That's looking really good. Here's hoping that this turns out to be the Kickstarter game that I backed that I end up actually playing and liking.  awesome, for real

"Bourgeois society stands at the crossroads, either transition to socialism or regression into barbarism" - Rosa Luxemburg, 1915.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #68 on: August 08, 2016, 03:10:40 PM

I'm telling myself that it will be terrible and the hit or crit mechanics will fuck the game and make it unenjoyable. Because that looked like a lot of fun and I really don't have the cash for games these days.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: May 12, 2017, 01:25:25 AM

Closed beta starting June 1st. Looking pretty good. And Paradox picked it up for publishing and distribution, which means more money for testing and QA.

Here's the most recent video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt6FatHHnzI

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Battletech - The New Single Player game from those who made the new Shadowrun  
Jump to: