Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:46:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Battletech - The New Single Player game from those who made the new Shadowrun 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Battletech - The New Single Player game from those who made the new Shadowrun  (Read 83307 times)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

on: September 17, 2015, 01:27:23 PM

Kickstarter incoming, which will go great even though they probably don't even need it. Anyway, what we know so far is that it will be a single player game, with a completely new engine (so not the Shadowrun one) and a deep story. It will be group based, you will control a band of mercenaries and needless to say you will control more than one 'mech at a time.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 01:40:38 PM

Don't be shit please!

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 01:42:32 PM

Tanks vs Mechs? awesome, for real
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 02:31:24 PM

Why is this in the MWO subforum?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 02:33:31 PM

Good question.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 02:42:08 PM

Why is this in the MWO subforum?

Niche!

Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 04:08:14 PM

Hmm, looks like it's going to be a turn based strategy RPG.  Could be worse I suppose, but not really my thing.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 04:55:30 PM

Take.
My.
Money.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 06:31:34 PM

Tanks vs Mechs? awesome, for real
We can finally settle the question.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: September 18, 2015, 08:12:19 PM

Last I checked, by the TT rules a Mech wins every time ton for ton, barring some really bizarre tailor made scenario or lucky shot. Maybe the newest version of the system closes the gap, I haven't kept entirely up to date on it.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: September 18, 2015, 08:37:31 PM

Apperently PGI are sharing their graphics assets with these guys so the look of the mechs will be the same as in the MWO game.

Hic sunt dracones.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: September 19, 2015, 08:00:48 AM

Last I checked, by the TT rules a Mech wins every time ton for ton, barring some really bizarre tailor made scenario or lucky shot.
Shhhhhhh.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: September 19, 2015, 02:32:16 PM

Yea a quick glance at the current quickstart rules confirms what I remember.

Where a mech can survive the loss of any section other then the Head and CT, a Vehicle is down if any of it's sections are dead.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #13 on: September 19, 2015, 06:30:58 PM

Yeah, is it gonna look like that, or they are going to use unity again?
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: September 29, 2015, 10:04:52 AM

Kickstarter is live. 31k raised in 120 seconds. Looking good.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/battletech

Expected delivery: May 2017.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 10:09:00 AM by Falconeer »

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: September 29, 2015, 10:54:20 AM

Project funded in 54 minutes.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #16 on: September 29, 2015, 11:01:12 AM

Went ahead and pre-ordered it at the basic level.  I've really enjoyed all 3 of the Shadow run games, so they win my support.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: September 29, 2015, 11:25:50 AM

It's gonna take place in 3025, so time to revisit all the beautiful original designs  awesome, for real

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #18 on: September 29, 2015, 11:28:03 AM

Let's hope it reaches the $2.5 million stage. PVP Multiplayer. Because why the fuck not?

Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: September 29, 2015, 11:29:06 AM

The entire Kickstarter is for stretch goals as they funded the base game themselves.  Kind of odd.  Don't know if I will preorder, but I have been pleased with their other offerings.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: September 29, 2015, 12:22:51 PM

I want Stage 3. Open-ended world in 3025 btech? Yes please. (and yes THANK GOD for 3025. Fuck the clans in their cheesy arseholes)

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: September 29, 2015, 05:18:19 PM

Already a third of the way to Stage 3.  I think we'll be happy.

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: September 29, 2015, 08:56:45 PM

3025?

Right. I'm in.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: September 29, 2015, 09:40:37 PM

I want Stage 3. Open-ended world in 3025 btech? Yes please. (and yes THANK GOD for 3025. Fuck the clans in their cheesy arseholes)

Gotta leave something for the inevitable DLC
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: September 30, 2015, 12:08:38 AM

If it's super successful they could and should just reenact the entire Clan Invasion. I feel like there's a lot of nostalgia rolled up in 3025 that's going to get old real fast once people have it in their hands again.

We'll see though, need a game to play first!

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: September 30, 2015, 01:21:57 AM

Shadowrun spawned three very good games in three years. If this is succesful, and I think stars are aligned just right, I am pretty sure they will keep it going as much as they can and will use all the immensity of resources the BattleTech universe is full of.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: September 30, 2015, 01:36:24 AM

I'm caught in a time loop here.  The same thread, the same replies, the same hope as MechWarrior Online.

Guys, the Clans will happen.  Can we not even argue about this ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: September 30, 2015, 01:41:42 AM

If only PGI had 1/5 of the talent and common sense these HBS folks seem to have...

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: September 30, 2015, 01:46:42 AM

Some info that is circulating from the Battletech creator (both of the original TT and of this game) Jordan Weisman.

Mechs and MechWarriors Will be Deep and Complex

BattleTech will be a turn-based title for modern PCs. This means Weisman and company have the chance to render the game's mechs in far greater detail than was previously possible. This isn't just from a graphics standpoint though. Instead, Harebrained wants your mech design choices to directly affect your gameplay.

"Those mechs are going to be rendered in great detail from a system standpoint," said Weisman. "One of the things I want to do is make sure that Mech Lab/Mech Design components have a stronger causal link between the design and the performance of the mechs. Obviously, you've got weapons and armor, but I want to dive deeper than that."

"The gyro and actuators you put in should have an impact on your performance," he explained. "I want to get into things like turning radiuses; the sharper your turning radius, the more the mech has a chance of falling over. Having your gyro have an impact on not just your turning radius, but also your chances of falling over when you take hits, which depends on your gyro-to-mass ratio. With a turn-based game, we can really express more axes of performance than we could in MechWarrior as a real-time sim. We can get to that kind of depth without it being cumbersome."

[...]

The MechWarriors themselves are also becoming a larger part of the process. Each character you recruit has a skill tree, allowing you to specialize that character to perform different operations. If you have a light mech, you need a pilot that can handle a light mech.

"We want to make the skill trees for the MechWarriors really deep now." said Weisman. "You're in charge of those MechWarriors' careers. As you build up your mercenary unit, you're guiding those MechWarriors through a career path that allows them to specialize. You can take a guy and have him specialize in heavy mechs. If you then tell him, 'I need you to drive this light mech,' he's going to be like 'What? I don't know how to do that! I'll die doing that!'

[...]

Perma-Death Stalks Your MechWarriors

That last statement is important. Your MechWarriors can and will die if you're reckless. If they die, they're gone forever and you've just lost a character who's career you've been steering for a long time.

"Our game is primarily a single-player campaign," said Weisman. "Within the context of the campaign, perma-death is there. I think we need to have those kinds of consequences. It's not simply alive or dead. If a guy gets his ass kicked, he may survive, but be in the hospital for two months. You have to figure out who you put in his place until he gets back in the rotation. Time is factor in the campaign. Travel time and combat time."

Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: September 30, 2015, 08:24:19 AM

I feel bit like a sucker since I had no plans on pledging for this but yet I did. Its one of those projects that's going to be made, and its good enough odds that its going to be a game I would buy at launch anyway. Also liked their kickstarter video.

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #30 on: September 30, 2015, 09:26:23 AM

I'm caught in a time loop here.  The same thread, the same replies, the same hope as MechWarrior Online.

Guys, the Clans will happen.  Can we not even argue about this ?

I've never really played any of the battletech/mechwarrior games, and only am vaguely aware of the lore.  Just did a quick wiki on the clan invasion plot point. 

Why are the clans bad, and everybody here hates them?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: September 30, 2015, 09:50:12 AM

Massive power bloat.  The mechs basically played by slightly different rules that made them significantly more powerful.  That and the story is kinda pants on head stupid.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: September 30, 2015, 10:07:53 AM

The mechs are overpowered compared to what?

I am the .00000001428%
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: September 30, 2015, 10:12:11 AM

To me, it was how they changed everything. All of a sudden these bullies appeared and all my beloved 'mechs turned into shit. Fuck no. Hell even now, 25 years later, in MechWarrior online, the Clans still piss me off and that's wy it is a pleasure to side with the Inner Sphere in community warfare and kill the Clan scum.

Lore wise, it's complicated as in the world of BattleTech it is really hard to find a faction that isn't made of assholes. It's all politics after all. That's why mercenaries end up being the coolest people.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: September 30, 2015, 10:14:36 AM

The mechs are overpowered compared to what?

Up to 3049 you only had a given amount of type of 'mechs. They belonged to opposing factions (houses) but they were all part of what we call the Inner Sphere. Then the Clans, some humans that left the known part of the galaxy about 400 years prior, come back with some vastly imporved technology (this is mostly due to the fact that the Inner Sphere technology deteriorated as the constant warring pushed the tech back a few centuries) and some completely new 'mechs that are almost twice as powerful than the old ones. So, Clan 'mechs were overpowered compared to ALL the 'mechs that existed before the Clan 'mechs.

The idea wasn't even all terrible if you think about it. These self-exiled honour-driven fanatics come back to a galaxy of squabbling factions that hurt itself so much to the point of generating a new Middle Ages to conquer it and impose new and improved code of honour, and they do these with machines that are better mostly because they didn't have to go through the decadence that hit the Old Land. This of course also set up some cool epic story as the old folks got almost defeated and then started revamping ther 'mechs with stolen pieces of the new technology for an legendary last stand. Another cool part when you think about BattleTech, which explains why weapons can't shoot past 1km and things like that, is that the OLDER 'mechs are (up to a point) better than the new ones. Those which were built before the new Middle Age hit the Inner Sphere, belong to an era with better tech and resources than the present.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 10:21:32 AM by Falconeer »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Battletech - The New Single Player game from those who made the new Shadowrun  
Jump to: