Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:46:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Nazi Gold Train! 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nazi Gold Train!  (Read 9716 times)
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

on: August 28, 2015, 02:11:09 PM

A very serious business post.

So, there has been a long running rumor/myth in Poland about a train full of looted gold the Nazi's put together and drove away in southern Poland during the last months of WW2, which then vanished without a trace.  The last city it was 'seen' in was Breslau, (which was annexed to Poland via Stalin after WW2, and is now known as Wroclaw).  Everybody thinks they hid it somewhere in Poland or the Czech Republic, and lots of crazy old treasure hunters have been looking for it for decades without success, so everybody sort of assumed it was a myth (which honestly it probably is).  However, a week or so ago, two treasure hunters claimed to have found it near the town of Walbrzych, which is a little ways south of Wroclaw.  They reported it to the Polish government, and said they wanted 10% of the loot.  Everybody assumed it was a hoax by a bunch of the usual crazy Nazi treasure hunters.

But then the Polish government investigated, did ground imaging of the area, and made an announcement of the results.  Not only do they say they are 99% sure its a buried Nazi train, but they also revealed that the treasure hunters found out about it due to a deathbed confession by one of the original guys who helped bury it (they haven't given a name though).  Which has obviously stirred up a ton of interest.  The Polish government has tried to stop the swarm of people hitting the region (they haven't named the exact spot of the site yet) by saying "Eh, its probably only contains military equipment" to "It's almost certainly booby trapped!"  Doesn't seem to be working.

Who knows what is actually in the fucking thing.  There is more than a big chance it doesn't actually contain loot.  But the whole death bed confession about a buried train filled with Nazi gold is so Hollywood its hard not to get a little excited.  I always enjoyed crazy old myths (Unsolved mysteries was my favorite show ever as a kid), and seeing one actually have a chance of being confirmed is pretty fun.  Just imagine if somebody ever finds the lost Dutchmans gold mine.   awesome, for real

I've been all over that area myself during my time in Poland (Wroclaw is a pretty nice city, I'd recommend stopping by for a day or so if any of you are ever traveling through).  The mountains to the south are really neat, and also filled with weird Nazi projects and tunnels.  For instance, I went to Ksiaz Castle (god damn polish is a fucked up language).  Its a really beautiful old castle, that was turned into a Chateau style fortress in its later years for nobility (fun fact, John Q. Adams stopped by there to see it when he was touring around Europe).  Its up on top of a mountain.  After the Nazi's took it over during the war, they had a bunch of Jewish prisoners dig a bunch of huge tunnels in the mountain right below it, with a connecting secret elevator shaft that lead up right into the Chateau.  Seriously, shit straight out of a video game.  The war swept through before they could finish, and they executed all the Jews doing the manual labor.  To this day nobody has any idea what the fuck they were building all this shit for (lots of speculation, most saying munitions production).  There are many other projects similar to this all across that region of mountains.

And googling that castle just now, because I couldn't remember how to spell it, I just realized the castle is only about 3 miles from the town they said they found this train 'near'.  So I guess maybe it was suppose to house treasure.   awesome, for real
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 03:12:29 PM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 02:34:45 PM

This has the Capone vault all over it.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Really cool though!

Hic sunt dracones.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 06:04:14 PM

The link you gave doesn't give the whole scoop on the "deathbed confession," though, the story of which makes it even MORE Hollywood.

It wasn't a confession to either of the hunters or anyone related to them or on a deathbed. It was a story told by an old German to a 17-year-old kid who used to paint buildings for him. The story was shared over beers and they talked about going to find it.  17-year-old kid didn't really think much of it and old guy died. So then 17-year-old kid just tells stories of it to his son but they're too poor to ever go investigate. Flash forward to a year ago and the father starts talking about the story on a Polish website. Treasure hunters take him seriously, pump him for the third-hand information he remembers and then "find" the train.

It's Reddit, so the guy could be completely talking out his ass. Still makes a good story addition, though:
https://www.reddit.com/r/history/comments/3hp2ec/nazi_gold_train_found_in_poland/cu9rjgu

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 08:38:44 PM

Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 05:03:45 AM

I'm pretty sure ground penetrating radar dosn't show up much - sounds like a hoax.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
penfold
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 10:36:47 AM

I used to love drawing armoured trains as a kid, they always had cross-sections in my Warlord/Battle comics and annuals. (British weekly comics about war, think Charleys War from 2000AD) and have long been fascinated about the Fall of Nazi Germany and post War 1945/46 Europe too.  This story has it all, have been eagerly following.

Oh, and now the Daily Mail are saying the Amber Room might be onboard. That would be interesting. But yeah. Daily Mail. So take this with a pinch of salt big enough to satisfy McDonalds for a day.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3215299/Nazi-gold-train-contain-ornate-250m-Amber-Room-given-Tsar-Peter-Great-King-Prussia-missing-looted-WWII.html

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 11:55:19 AM

I sense a new Discovery Channel show being brewed.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 11:54:12 PM

Will there be sharks?

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 01:00:37 AM

The link you gave doesn't give the whole scoop on the "deathbed confession," though, the story of which makes it even MORE Hollywood.

It wasn't a confession to either of the hunters or anyone related to them or on a deathbed. It was a story told by an old German to a 17-year-old kid who used to paint buildings for him. The story was shared over beers and they talked about going to find it.  17-year-old kid didn't really think much of it and old guy died. So then 17-year-old kid just tells stories of it to his son but they're too poor to ever go investigate. Flash forward to a year ago and the father starts talking about the story on a Polish website. Treasure hunters take him seriously, pump him for the third-hand information he remembers and then "find" the train.

It's Reddit, so the guy could be completely talking out his ass. Still makes a good story addition, though:
https://www.reddit.com/r/history/comments/3hp2ec/nazi_gold_train_found_in_poland/cu9rjgu

That sounds suspiciously similar to a half dozen stories I've heard referring to things like buried treasure and lost mines and so on.

"Old [Person A] was quite the local character, loved his wine and his women.  Nobody knew how he could afford the lifestyle, since he was always too far gone to hold down a job.  But eventually, the life caught up with him, and he fell deathly ill.  Staying by his side to the very end was his only friend / mistress / son / war buddy / whoever, [Person B].  And with his dying breath, [Person A] told [Person B] a great secret, the hidden location of the treasure trove from where he got his wealth, and the promise that there was still much more.  But [Person B] dismissed it as the ravings of a dying lunatic, and was too poor to organize an expedition on their own.  Eventually, their financial situation got bad enough that they had no choice but to sell directions / the map to other fortune hunters..."

So person A can't corroborate person B's story, since person A is dead.  And person B can't corroborate person A's story, since they never checked themselves.  So if the information turns out to be complete horseshit, you can't PROVE that person B pulled the entire story straight out of their ass.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 09:49:52 AM

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 01:37:36 PM

News went from last weeks "Radar images show Nazi train" to "We do not have any Georadar data".

There might well be something, but all the speculation about gold/diamonds/the amber room is just that at the moment, speculation.

Wait and see.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 02:20:52 PM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: August 31, 2015, 09:50:31 PM

News went from last weeks "Radar images show Nazi train" to "We do not have any Georadar data".

There might well be something, but all the speculation about gold/diamonds/the amber room is just that at the moment, speculation.

Wait and see.

Amber Room would be the find of the century and I'm sure Russia would be very insistent to get it back.
Mac
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: September 01, 2015, 03:10:17 AM

Russia is already claiming the whole thing "in accordance with International Law".

I lol'd.

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 10:12:53 PM

Look.  Gold is important.  See?  We need the gold.  And we know it's in Poland.  We don't know *exactly* where... But we're damned if we ain't gonna go dig it up!  

Poland that is.  All of it.  Sorry.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #14 on: September 03, 2015, 02:24:57 AM

It’s pretty slim odds they’ll find such a thing in the train.  But, considering that the newly elected president of Poland comes from the ‘fuck Russia’ party, I wouldn’t be surprised if Poland announced “Unfortunately, the train was empty.  But in other news, we just installed this amazing new Amber room in the presidential palace!  It’s going to be the new smoking room.”

No matter what actually happens with all this, at least we should get some good Poland ball comics out of it.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: September 17, 2015, 10:44:07 AM

Another likely fictional twist: Chemical Weapons!

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/605599/Nazi-gold-train-loaded-with-toxic-chemicals

So THIS is where the zombie apocalypse begins... from a hidden Nazi train filled with Chemical Weapons intended as a doom's day response... Hitler killed himself to avoid becoming a zombie. Makes perfect sense.  See you in Woodbury.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #16 on: February 12, 2016, 05:34:57 PM

This is literally news from yesterday, but to give this thread some closure:

There is no Nazi gold train, Polish scientists say

Polnische Geologen: Keine Spur von Nazi-Goldzug in Niederschlesien

Quote from: The Guardian
Scientists have quashed a claim by two amateur treasure hunters that they had discovered a legendary gold train hidden by the Nazis in a southern Polish railway embankment.

“There is no train,” Prof Janusz Madej of the Polish mining academy told a press conference in the city of Wałbrzych

Quote from: Der Spiegel
"Nach unseren Erkenntnissen gibt es vielleicht einen Tunnel in dem Gebiet, aber keinen Zug

Für ihre Analyse verwendeten Forscher Magnetfelddetektoren, um das infrage kommende Gebiet an einer Bahnstrecke nahe der Stadt Walbrzych (Waldenburg) abzusuchen. Zwei von einander unabhängige Teams hatten laut dem Bericht die Gegend untersucht.

Der Spiegel Translation (by calapine): "According to our verdict there might be a tunnel in the area, but no train.

For their analysis the scientists used magnetic-field-detectors to search the area in question, a railway track near the town of Waldenburg. According to the report the area was searched by two independent teams."

Sorry   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 05:38:12 PM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #17 on: February 12, 2016, 05:48:55 PM

That's just what they WANT you to think!

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: February 12, 2016, 05:52:44 PM

There is no train there... but was there in August?

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: February 12, 2016, 05:54:16 PM

There is no train there... but was there in August?

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: February 12, 2016, 10:08:17 PM

Wait.... Gold isn't magnetic... Unless it has like a 20% iron content.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: February 12, 2016, 10:08:54 PM

I guess a train would be made out of iron or steel which is magnetic though...

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: February 13, 2016, 05:45:12 AM

I guess a train would be made out of iron or steel which is magnetic though...

Unless it was made of gold!

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: February 14, 2016, 07:40:30 PM

That's only because the train has completely rusted away, leaving non magnetic rust and GOOOOLDDDDD

Hic sunt dracones.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Nazi Gold Train!  
Jump to: