Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:40:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Stellaris - Paradox goes to space 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stellaris - Paradox goes to space  (Read 149041 times)
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #245 on: May 25, 2018, 11:03:16 AM

The more I play this game - especially with the newest expansion - the more I realize that what I most like about Stellaris/Master of Orion et al. is the space exploration aspect of it and the quest lines and anomalies and not the combat aspect.

Yeah, I'm with you there. In fact, I find the combat aspect to be actually tedious. Usually the time I "take a break" is right after some protracted massive battle. They just don't seem fun to me.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #246 on: May 28, 2018, 06:55:39 AM

Dev Diary up.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/imperator-development-diary-1-28th-of-may-2018.1101600/

Seems like a lot more provinces than even CK2. That kind of detail is nice, and ideally it will make the game more challenging with expansion slower, although it seems to me that AI generally has more trouble with more options like that.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #247 on: May 28, 2018, 09:58:37 PM

I need some help.  Played this a fair amount at release and a bit later. Got the new DLC's.  BIG problem: "no habitable planets that meet your species criteria" or something.  Basically, there are no habitable planets near my starting planet.  I've now tried 3 times over several hours, changing a lot of traits and civics.  There's nothing.  And each time I get quite far, like half way across a large (? 800) map.  No habitable planets at all.  I know I can earn adaptability skills and terraforming, but those are farther in the game.  Previous games I was able to find something more than "0%" for most planets.  It's now 0% on every single one I discover

The only non-default change I made was the galaxy size to Large (800).  Even then I would expect to find something. I did have "Life-Seeded" as a trait but I got rid of it and restarted twice.  I don't understand why every planet would still be 0%.  Any ideas?

Life-Seeded: Your species evolved in a lush paradise possibly designed just for them. You start on a size 25 Gaia World, but with the Gaia World Preference trait that has 0% habitability on all non-'perfect' environments (Gaia Worlds, Habitats, Ringworlds).

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #248 on: May 28, 2018, 10:15:28 PM

You didn't pick post-apocalyptic to replace life-seeded?

Survey a bunch of systems and then look to see if any of the "red" (unsuitable) planets are close to the climate you chose and try to find out if you have any other penalties to habitability from your traits if that's the case. If there  just aren't that many planets you might want to look into increasing the number of habitable planets from the game settings.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #249 on: May 28, 2018, 11:15:03 PM

That's a new one on me. BTW, "Assimilation" is a completely busted OP race choice: Live anywhere (100% habitability, regardless of planet type), have both buildable and breedable pops (which need no food, so higher planet productivity), near-immortal leaders, and when you take over a planet everyone on it fairly quickly gets 'assimilated' which means they can also live anywhere and will never rebel. Throw in some warbot tech or a Collossus with the nano-goo assimilation weapon, and you're pretty much unstoppable.

Oh, and your race-specific buildings produce both Unity and Bio research.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #250 on: May 29, 2018, 08:04:31 AM

I need some help.  Played this a fair amount at release and a bit later. Got the new DLC's.  BIG problem: "no habitable planets that meet your species criteria" or something.  Basically, there are no habitable planets near my starting planet.  I've now tried 3 times over several hours, changing a lot of traits and civics.  There's nothing.  And each time I get quite far, like half way across a large (? 800) map.  No habitable planets at all.  I know I can earn adaptability skills and terraforming, but those are farther in the game.  Previous games I was able to find something more than "0%" for most planets.  It's now 0% on every single one I discover

The only non-default change I made was the galaxy size to Large (800).  Even then I would expect to find something. I did have "Life-Seeded" as a trait but I got rid of it and restarted twice.  I don't understand why every planet would still be 0%.  Any ideas?

Life-Seeded: Your species evolved in a lush paradise possibly designed just for them. You start on a size 25 Gaia World, but with the Gaia World Preference trait that has 0% habitability on all non-'perfect' environments (Gaia Worlds, Habitats, Ringworlds).

Basically with Gaia planet you get a great homeworld but skip traditional early game colonization. It's a way for people to do "build tall" strategies, and maybe synchronizes with certain other special race type games. And if you go through the appropriate terraforming and ascension perks you turn them to Gaia planets later (requires lots of energy), or you can expand by building those space megastructures.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #251 on: May 29, 2018, 09:43:11 AM

That's a new one on me. BTW, "Assimilation" is a completely busted OP race choice: Live anywhere (100% habitability, regardless of planet type), have both buildable and breedable pops (which need no food, so higher planet productivity), near-immortal leaders, and when you take over a planet everyone on it fairly quickly gets 'assimilated' which means they can also live anywhere and will never rebel. Throw in some warbot tech or a Collossus with the nano-goo assimilation weapon, and you're pretty much unstoppable.

Oh, and your race-specific buildings produce both Unity and Bio research.

--Dave

Thanks for the tip!!

awesome, for real

Kinda serious. Was looking for a way to play through and be less combat oriented.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #252 on: July 23, 2018, 10:47:44 PM

Okay, MahrinSkel was right, and for the first time ever I'm near or at the end game. I've curbstomped every other Empire, including the Fallen Ones, and assimilated every intelligence it would let me, including the pre-tech primitive races. I've scanned every planet, and own most of the star systems in the galaxy. I'm just starting building megastructures -- habitats and gateways. I passed all the "victory" conditions long ago.

So the question is is there anything else? Any reason to keep playing? It seems there should be end game events yet to happen, yet everything has been quiet for years in-game.

I don't want a spoilery list of exactly what to expect, only just to know if this is it or I need to advance time some more to trigger something else.
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #253 on: July 23, 2018, 11:13:29 PM

Okay, MahrinSkel was right, and for the first time ever I'm near or at the end game. I've curbstomped every other Empire, including the Fallen Ones, and assimilated every intelligence it would let me, including the pre-tech primitive races. I've scanned every planet, and own most of the star systems in the galaxy. I'm just starting building megastructures -- habitats and gateways. I passed all the "victory" conditions long ago.

So the question is is there anything else? Any reason to keep playing? It seems there should be end game events yet to happen, yet everything has been quiet for years in-game.

I don't want a spoilery list of exactly what to expect, only just to know if this is it or I need to advance time some more to trigger something else.

Continuing on depends on how far into the game you are, year-wise, to be honest. If it is fairly early still you could have a long wait until the Interesting stuff could kick up. What year it might start also depends on the game setting options you picked at the beginning; did you leave them at default? Trying to be vague for spoilery reasons. 
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #254 on: July 24, 2018, 12:01:24 AM

Continuing on depends on how far into the game you are, year-wise, to be honest. If it is fairly early still you could have a long wait until the Interesting stuff could kick up. What year it might start also depends on the game setting options you picked at the beginning; did you leave them at default? Trying to be vague for spoilery reasons. 

Thanks for the reply. My game machine is off right now but I think I remember it being 2440 or somewhere near. I'm at near default, but I did change the galaxy shape.

Sp endgame stuff is year related? Okay I can just put it in fast forward mode and wait on it...
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #255 on: July 24, 2018, 12:44:36 AM

Couldn't find a better picture with a quick search but:

it depend's on the end-game start year you set up when you started the game (you can check it by trying to start a new game as it should offer the same settings you had for the previous game)
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #256 on: July 24, 2018, 03:26:28 AM

Thanks for the reply. My game machine is off right now but I think I remember it being 2440 or somewhere near. I'm at near default, but I did change the galaxy shape.

Sp endgame stuff is year related? Okay I can just put it in fast forward mode and wait on it...

How it works is at certain year dates (default can vary depending on galaxy size, shape is irrelevant) the end-game events will start to become possible to fire; the further past that date the more and more likely they are to fire. When they do fire you will get an event notification that stuff is about to change. There are several possible end-game events (which are mutually exclusive). So yeah, you can just wait. Eventually one will trigger.

If you have control of most of the galaxy and didn't bump the difficulty scaling of the event it is quite possible that it won't pose a challenge for you, depending on how well you're prepped for it, but most people find it... interesting the first few times, especially if the game difficulty was bumped up or the end-game strength modifier was increased.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #257 on: July 24, 2018, 10:17:55 AM

Looks like with playing the *very* overpowered Homologs I just rolled over the whole galaxy in such short time I've got a bit of a wait ahead of me for the endgame. That's fine. I'll just let it run on while doing other chores or surfing the web or something.

Thanks guys.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #258 on: August 24, 2018, 04:22:50 AM

Planetary Rework (dev diaries 121, 122123 and 124) that's coming in 2.2 seems interesting and I for one am looking forward to another playthru (or 3) once it gets released (unless it coincides with CK2's Holy Fury DLC release in which case Stellaris will have to wait for its turn).

edit:added link to Planetary Rework part 3
edit2: added link to part 4
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 09:05:08 AM by satael »
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #259 on: August 26, 2018, 06:35:59 AM

That looks intricate--but if it makes politics and some of the bio/social tech tracks more important, I am all for it. I think it will put a premium on playing smaller galaxies, though.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #260 on: October 25, 2018, 11:27:31 PM

Stellaris Dev Diary #131 - MegaCorporations

I'm really looking forward to the LeGuin update and the MegaCorp DLC (though the release date is still TBA). Can't wait to
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #261 on: November 20, 2018, 07:37:32 AM

December 6th!
Yikes! With this, CK2 DLC out just last week and POE 3.5 on Dec 8th there's so much for me to play at once (especially compared to the lack of any new games that could interest me).
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #262 on: December 07, 2018, 03:20:35 AM

Well, tiles are gone...  I’m suddenly very confused by the planetary surface screen, and am still not sure how trade works.  I started a new game yesterday but didn’t have the mental fortitude to completely relearn everything and decided I’d come back to it later.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #263 on: December 08, 2018, 10:17:17 AM

I'm actually a few hours into this for the first time ever.  I imagine this is old hat for most people, but losing my entire fleet to some random planet-sized alien in less than a second was pretty hilarious.
Jade Falcon
Terracotta Army

Reply #264 on: December 08, 2018, 10:27:21 AM

I'm actually a few hours into this for the first time ever.  I imagine this is old hat for most people, but losing my entire fleet to some random planet-sized alien in less than a second was pretty hilarious.

If you enjoyed that your in for lots of fun when the end game events start firing.  awesome, for real
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #265 on: December 08, 2018, 11:11:50 AM

The planetary interface is now confusing as hell. That was one part of the game that I didn't think was particularly broken. Sigh.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #266 on: December 08, 2018, 12:09:49 PM

The planetary interface is now confusing as hell. That was one part of the game that I didn't think was particularly broken. Sigh.

It's not that bad once you get used to it. I actually kind of like the changes when it comes to the mechanics (but when it comes to the UI...) Another nice thing about 2.2 is the way pirates and trade is now handled .
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #267 on: December 08, 2018, 12:13:30 PM

I'm a big fan of almost all the changes.

Loathed the tile system.

I don't find the game that hard to re-learn, but I'm a hard-core Paradox gamer, so I'm pretty used to their janky UI setups.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #268 on: December 08, 2018, 04:20:52 PM

I figured I'd wait a week or two and start a new game after the inevitable fix-the-patch patch...
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #269 on: December 09, 2018, 08:43:09 AM

Looking for a game to try. Is this worth buying if you liked Sword of the Stars and similar. Or is it totally on another level of complecity or not really like that at all?

Hic sunt dracones.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #270 on: December 09, 2018, 10:41:34 AM

They're both 4xs but they emphasize very different things.  Stellaris is much heavier on empire management than Sword of the Stars is.  It is very much a grand strategy game.  It also has less of an emphasis on combat.  If you're looking for Sword of the Stars' tactical space combat you're not going to find that here at all.

But if you're looking for a 4x with a practically endless amount of variety and tons of mods to liven things up once you lose interest with the base game, it fits the bill.  It's a game I come back to once a year and it always feels fresh because there are so many different strategies to explore and dlc releases are usually worth using and reasonably priced.  Especially when on sale.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #271 on: December 11, 2018, 01:13:44 PM

Looking for a game to try. Is this worth buying if you liked Sword of the Stars and similar. Or is it totally on another level of complecity or not really like that at all?

This is a game where strategies that involve making alliances rather than invading people really are viable as a long term thing. Which is a bit unusual, and nice.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #272 on: December 11, 2018, 03:03:44 PM

Its also the only game from anywhere close to this type of gameplay that can actually function well in multiplayer. It doesn't lag or fuck up people can drop in and take over AI empires etc.

Now it ends up being a lot like risk where people can get feelings hurt something fierce and back in vanilla/release multiplayer was exposing a lot of issues but at least it was both possible and painless to execute. No other 4X or grand strategy i've tried can say that.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #273 on: December 20, 2018, 05:50:26 AM

Soooo....This mod came out:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1593301672

The "HP DeskJet 2630 Wireless All-in-One Printer" has become sentient. And they can't wait to exterminate us all, one paper jam at a time.

https://www.pcgamer.com/stellaris-printer-mod/

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #274 on: January 05, 2019, 06:11:54 PM

Ok, I am getting into the latest. I kind of see why people are irritated--there's something complicatedly buggy about the mid-game now--game slows down really dramatically after the Great Khan crisis and I'm hearing from some people that the Fallen Empires and Endgame factions don't even launch. But on the whole I like the latest changes.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #275 on: January 06, 2019, 10:28:29 AM

I booted it up long enough to look at the new planetary changes, realized I'm going to have to work through a tutorial to figure it out, and went and played something else.

This is not to say that the changes are not for the best in the long run, but that I hate to admit it but I sometimes also fall into the crowd that, once something is learned, doesn't want to have to relearn old tricks.

That and I figure that waiting for the patch to fix the patch is always a good idea before diving back into another run.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #276 on: January 06, 2019, 12:47:32 PM

I did have a really fun time this time with the Great Khans, who were right on the border of my empire. One of the big space monsters--the Scavenger--was in the middle of a hyperspace spoke-wheel. The AI--or as I prefer to think about it, the brutish anger of the Great Khan--meant that it would send its mega-fleets through the space monster system to try to get at my constantly-moving alpha fleet, which was only half the strength of most of the Khan fleets. They'd get killed off by the monster; repeat as necessary. Took a while though.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #277 on: January 07, 2019, 11:03:53 PM

This has been my experience when playing Stellaris as of late which has made me unwilling to play much past the mid-game crisis (khan) in my criminal corp play-thru.  Ohhhhh, I see.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #278 on: January 08, 2019, 09:31:32 AM

This has been my experience when playing Stellaris as of late which has made me unwilling to play much past the mid-game crisis (khan) in my criminal corp play-thru.  Ohhhhh, I see.

TIL that there is an Onionesque news site devoted to Stellaris.

Thanks.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #279 on: January 08, 2019, 12:36:25 PM

It's pretty much right on, though. I finished a game today that just absolutely crawled after the mid-game crisis. I did see an Awakened Empire at the end but jesus I don't know how I endured that long with the game running at that speed.

I think there's some mechanics that are making it worse. They need to do something other than allow discontented systems to secede from their home empires--at mid-game and beyond there's a zillion of these one-system mini-empires, all of them pinging you to make deals. The AI overbuilds construction and science fleets it doesn't need and each one of those little empires does that, so there's tons of ships in motion across the map. The AI is also terrible at building armies and invading, so lots of big wars between AI powers are inconclusive because of that. That and more--I really suspect streamlining some of the mechanics will help with the crawl. It's unplayable past mid-game as it stands.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Stellaris - Paradox goes to space  
Jump to: