Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2018, 06:45:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
Donate! | Shop: Amazon
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Stellaris - Paradox goes to space 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stellaris - Paradox goes to space  (Read 26979 times)
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #245 on: May 25, 2018, 01:03:16 PM

The more I play this game - especially with the newest expansion - the more I realize that what I most like about Stellaris/Master of Orion et al. is the space exploration aspect of it and the quest lines and anomalies and not the combat aspect.

Yeah, I'm with you there. In fact, I find the combat aspect to be actually tedious. Usually the time I "take a break" is right after some protracted massive battle. They just don't seem fun to me.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #246 on: May 28, 2018, 08:55:39 AM

Dev Diary up.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/imperator-development-diary-1-28th-of-may-2018.1101600/

Seems like a lot more provinces than even CK2. That kind of detail is nice, and ideally it will make the game more challenging with expansion slower, although it seems to me that AI generally has more trouble with more options like that.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #247 on: May 28, 2018, 11:58:37 PM

I need some help.  Played this a fair amount at release and a bit later. Got the new DLC's.  BIG problem: "no habitable planets that meet your species criteria" or something.  Basically, there are no habitable planets near my starting planet.  I've now tried 3 times over several hours, changing a lot of traits and civics.  There's nothing.  And each time I get quite far, like half way across a large (? 800) map.  No habitable planets at all.  I know I can earn adaptability skills and terraforming, but those are farther in the game.  Previous games I was able to find something more than "0%" for most planets.  It's now 0% on every single one I discover

The only non-default change I made was the galaxy size to Large (800).  Even then I would expect to find something. I did have "Life-Seeded" as a trait but I got rid of it and restarted twice.  I don't understand why every planet would still be 0%.  Any ideas?

Life-Seeded: Your species evolved in a lush paradise possibly designed just for them. You start on a size 25 Gaia World, but with the Gaia World Preference trait that has 0% habitability on all non-'perfect' environments (Gaia Worlds, Habitats, Ringworlds).

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #248 on: May 29, 2018, 12:15:28 AM

You didn't pick post-apocalyptic to replace life-seeded?

Survey a bunch of systems and then look to see if any of the "red" (unsuitable) planets are close to the climate you chose and try to find out if you have any other penalties to habitability from your traits if that's the case. If there  just aren't that many planets you might want to look into increasing the number of habitable planets from the game settings.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #249 on: May 29, 2018, 01:15:03 AM

That's a new one on me. BTW, "Assimilation" is a completely busted OP race choice: Live anywhere (100% habitability, regardless of planet type), have both buildable and breedable pops (which need no food, so higher planet productivity), near-immortal leaders, and when you take over a planet everyone on it fairly quickly gets 'assimilated' which means they can also live anywhere and will never rebel. Throw in some warbot tech or a Collossus with the nano-goo assimilation weapon, and you're pretty much unstoppable.

Oh, and your race-specific buildings produce both Unity and Bio research.

--Dave

--Jello Biafra: "If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve."
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #250 on: May 29, 2018, 10:04:31 AM

I need some help.  Played this a fair amount at release and a bit later. Got the new DLC's.  BIG problem: "no habitable planets that meet your species criteria" or something.  Basically, there are no habitable planets near my starting planet.  I've now tried 3 times over several hours, changing a lot of traits and civics.  There's nothing.  And each time I get quite far, like half way across a large (? 800) map.  No habitable planets at all.  I know I can earn adaptability skills and terraforming, but those are farther in the game.  Previous games I was able to find something more than "0%" for most planets.  It's now 0% on every single one I discover

The only non-default change I made was the galaxy size to Large (800).  Even then I would expect to find something. I did have "Life-Seeded" as a trait but I got rid of it and restarted twice.  I don't understand why every planet would still be 0%.  Any ideas?

Life-Seeded: Your species evolved in a lush paradise possibly designed just for them. You start on a size 25 Gaia World, but with the Gaia World Preference trait that has 0% habitability on all non-'perfect' environments (Gaia Worlds, Habitats, Ringworlds).

Basically with Gaia planet you get a great homeworld but skip traditional early game colonization. It's a way for people to do "build tall" strategies, and maybe synchronizes with certain other special race type games. And if you go through the appropriate terraforming and ascension perks you turn them to Gaia planets later (requires lots of energy), or you can expand by building those space megastructures.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #251 on: May 29, 2018, 11:43:11 AM

That's a new one on me. BTW, "Assimilation" is a completely busted OP race choice: Live anywhere (100% habitability, regardless of planet type), have both buildable and breedable pops (which need no food, so higher planet productivity), near-immortal leaders, and when you take over a planet everyone on it fairly quickly gets 'assimilated' which means they can also live anywhere and will never rebel. Throw in some warbot tech or a Collossus with the nano-goo assimilation weapon, and you're pretty much unstoppable.

Oh, and your race-specific buildings produce both Unity and Bio research.

--Dave

Thanks for the tip!!

awesome, for real

Kinda serious. Was looking for a way to play through and be less combat oriented.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #252 on: July 24, 2018, 12:47:44 AM

Okay, MahrinSkel was right, and for the first time ever I'm near or at the end game. I've curbstomped every other Empire, including the Fallen Ones, and assimilated every intelligence it would let me, including the pre-tech primitive races. I've scanned every planet, and own most of the star systems in the galaxy. I'm just starting building megastructures -- habitats and gateways. I passed all the "victory" conditions long ago.

So the question is is there anything else? Any reason to keep playing? It seems there should be end game events yet to happen, yet everything has been quiet for years in-game.

I don't want a spoilery list of exactly what to expect, only just to know if this is it or I need to advance time some more to trigger something else.
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #253 on: July 24, 2018, 01:13:29 AM

Okay, MahrinSkel was right, and for the first time ever I'm near or at the end game. I've curbstomped every other Empire, including the Fallen Ones, and assimilated every intelligence it would let me, including the pre-tech primitive races. I've scanned every planet, and own most of the star systems in the galaxy. I'm just starting building megastructures -- habitats and gateways. I passed all the "victory" conditions long ago.

So the question is is there anything else? Any reason to keep playing? It seems there should be end game events yet to happen, yet everything has been quiet for years in-game.

I don't want a spoilery list of exactly what to expect, only just to know if this is it or I need to advance time some more to trigger something else.

Continuing on depends on how far into the game you are, year-wise, to be honest. If it is fairly early still you could have a long wait until the Interesting stuff could kick up. What year it might start also depends on the game setting options you picked at the beginning; did you leave them at default? Trying to be vague for spoilery reasons. 
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #254 on: July 24, 2018, 02:01:24 AM

Continuing on depends on how far into the game you are, year-wise, to be honest. If it is fairly early still you could have a long wait until the Interesting stuff could kick up. What year it might start also depends on the game setting options you picked at the beginning; did you leave them at default? Trying to be vague for spoilery reasons. 

Thanks for the reply. My game machine is off right now but I think I remember it being 2440 or somewhere near. I'm at near default, but I did change the galaxy shape.

Sp endgame stuff is year related? Okay I can just put it in fast forward mode and wait on it...
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #255 on: July 24, 2018, 02:44:36 AM

Couldn't find a better picture with a quick search but:

it depend's on the end-game start year you set up when you started the game (you can check it by trying to start a new game as it should offer the same settings you had for the previous game)
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #256 on: July 24, 2018, 05:26:28 AM

Thanks for the reply. My game machine is off right now but I think I remember it being 2440 or somewhere near. I'm at near default, but I did change the galaxy shape.

Sp endgame stuff is year related? Okay I can just put it in fast forward mode and wait on it...

How it works is at certain year dates (default can vary depending on galaxy size, shape is irrelevant) the end-game events will start to become possible to fire; the further past that date the more and more likely they are to fire. When they do fire you will get an event notification that stuff is about to change. There are several possible end-game events (which are mutually exclusive). So yeah, you can just wait. Eventually one will trigger.

If you have control of most of the galaxy and didn't bump the difficulty scaling of the event it is quite possible that it won't pose a challenge for you, depending on how well you're prepped for it, but most people find it... interesting the first few times, especially if the game difficulty was bumped up or the end-game strength modifier was increased.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #257 on: July 24, 2018, 12:17:55 PM

Looks like with playing the *very* overpowered Homologs I just rolled over the whole galaxy in such short time I've got a bit of a wait ahead of me for the endgame. That's fine. I'll just let it run on while doing other chores or surfing the web or something.

Thanks guys.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #258 on: August 24, 2018, 06:22:50 AM

Planetary Rework (dev diaries 121, 122123 and 124) that's coming in 2.2 seems interesting and I for one am looking forward to another playthru (or 3) once it gets released (unless it coincides with CK2's Holy Fury DLC release in which case Stellaris will have to wait for its turn).

edit:added link to Planetary Rework part 3
edit2: added link to part 4
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 11:05:08 AM by satael »
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #259 on: August 26, 2018, 08:35:59 AM

That looks intricate--but if it makes politics and some of the bio/social tech tracks more important, I am all for it. I think it will put a premium on playing smaller galaxies, though.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #260 on: October 26, 2018, 01:27:31 AM

Stellaris Dev Diary #131 - MegaCorporations

I'm really looking forward to the LeGuin update and the MegaCorp DLC (though the release date is still TBA). Can't wait to
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #261 on: Today at 09:37:32 AM

December 6th!
Yikes! With this, CK2 DLC out just last week and POE 3.5 on Dec 8th there's so much for me to play at once (especially compared to the lack of any new games that could interest me).
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Stellaris - Paradox goes to space  
Jump to: