Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:55:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Windows 10 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 108425 times)
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #385 on: October 14, 2016, 02:32:24 PM

Thanks for that. I've been debating a last minute upgrade from Win 7 to 10 so I can play Gears and Forza, but I think I'm going to pass.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #386 on: October 17, 2016, 10:33:45 AM

Having some name lookup problems, which I think were related to an aging router, but it still seems pretty slow SOMETIMES.  Not sure if it is a DNS thing at this point or if it just decided to tank overall performance but running Steam & Battle.net were crap-slow today.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Torinak
Terracotta Army

Reply #387 on: October 17, 2016, 02:17:33 PM

Might be worth checking that your router hasn't been compromised. Double-check its DNS server addresses as a first step, and make sure it's as locked down as is feasible. If it's a model with a hardcoded password, it's probably part of a DDOS botnet by now...
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #388 on: October 17, 2016, 02:59:19 PM

I always tend to set my DNS at home manually to point at one or more of the big public DNS servers. (Google, L3, etc)

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #389 on: October 18, 2016, 07:42:26 AM

I did wonder about that and I did a firmware reset of the one with dd-wrt on it (WRT54-GL).  The one with the stock firmware (WRT54-GS), I just outright replaced with a Netgear 108 switch that I obtained from AT&T.  I needed more ports anyway.  I just did a quick set of the GL to router mode and probably set the DNS to 8.8.8.8, which it already was before the reset anyway.  So, maybe it is compromised but maybe not.  I guess the best thing to do would be to reflash it if I plan on keeping it in service.

On my TODO list: find out if there is a service interface for the 108 switch.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #390 on: October 18, 2016, 08:53:17 AM

FS-108 are unmanaged switches. Totally dumb.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #391 on: October 19, 2016, 11:49:08 AM

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #392 on: October 19, 2016, 12:20:42 PM

Now the fucking computer is starting up in the middle of the day by itself. I've resorted to turning off the power strip at the wall when I'm done with it. This is absurd.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
JRave
Terracotta Army

Reply #393 on: October 19, 2016, 12:37:55 PM

Now the fucking computer is starting up in the middle of the day by itself. I've resorted to turning off the power strip at the wall when I'm done with it. This is absurd.

Try these instructions and see if 1) Fast Startup is enabled and 2) if disabling it fixes your shutdown issue.

http://acer-in.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/37059/~/windows-10%3A-enable-or-disable-fast-startup

Another post regarding it.

http://www.howtogeek.com/243901/the-pros-and-cons-of-windows-10s-fast-startup-mode/
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #394 on: October 19, 2016, 12:51:35 PM

I vaguely remember having a problem like this that went away after I disabled every Chrome extension (which I tried out of desperation).

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #395 on: October 19, 2016, 01:28:08 PM

Sorry if you've already tried this, but have you looked at going into device manager/network adapter and unselecting "wake on LAN?"

There might also be a "Wake on LAN" setting in the BIOS/UEFI (or whatever they are calling it these days).
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #396 on: October 19, 2016, 02:03:20 PM

Sorry if you've already tried this, but have you looked at going into device manager/network adapter and unselecting "wake on LAN?"

There might also be a "Wake on LAN" setting in the BIOS/UEFI (or whatever they are calling it these days).

I haven't. But I'll try that.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #397 on: October 19, 2016, 02:03:47 PM

Try these instructions and see if 1) Fast Startup is enabled and 2) if disabling it fixes your shutdown issue.

http://acer-in.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/37059/~/windows-10%3A-enable-or-disable-fast-startup

Another post regarding it.

http://www.howtogeek.com/243901/the-pros-and-cons-of-windows-10s-fast-startup-mode/

I'll try this too. Thanks.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #398 on: October 20, 2016, 09:04:10 AM

This has been 100% my experience over 16 years of running a dual OS environment. I have to regularly clean and maintain the windows machines, and give new employees a policy review on hire if they use them. With the macs, I just give them the quick 'don't do personal stuff on company time' spiel and let them go nuts. We've been pretty lucky with only a half dozen or so service downtimes due to user fuckery...all but one was a pc (and I'm still astounded an ex-employee managed to screw up her profile on a mac...but it didn't affect the shared login, so *shrug*).

On the other hand, the forced obsolescence cycle of the Mac OS is obscene.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #399 on: October 20, 2016, 10:10:52 AM

At my university department we encourage the less computer literate to go towards Apple since it seems to be best designed for those with little instinct for computering. Unfortunately, these folks still require more service than 'normal' PC users, because even Apple can't halt an onslaught of stupid. That said, MS has always been a decentralized mad house poised on the brink of utter failure for decades now, carried along by its own financial momentum rather than any real competition.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #400 on: October 20, 2016, 10:21:19 AM

Your numbers may be biased if you are only giving Macs to stupid people.  Not saying it's a bad approach, but you aren't going to get a apples-to-apples on service metrics like that.

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #401 on: October 20, 2016, 10:30:47 AM

Oh, I gave you the wrong impression. We have smart people using Macs too. All I am saying is that Macs are a safer bet for the technologically disinterested, but I find that increasingly, the problems are not so much with any given OS, but with the web/cloud/online services and how they work or don't.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #402 on: October 20, 2016, 10:33:58 AM

Oh, well, fuck, I don't need any education on that shit. why so serious?

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #403 on: October 20, 2016, 12:46:13 PM

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #404 on: October 20, 2016, 04:11:52 PM

Your numbers may be biased if you are only giving Macs to stupid people.  Not saying it's a bad approach, but you aren't going to get a apples-to-apples on service metrics like that.
It's true for IBM too.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #405 on: October 20, 2016, 04:47:18 PM

My Win 10 machine (actually an Alienware Alpha console being used as a PC) has started going into Sleep mode after just a minute or two of inactivity, despite being set to NEVER Sleep in Windows 10 settings. Which is quite annoying as I have to re-enter the password when I come back to the machine from the bathroom, and reconnect the bluetooth speaker.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #406 on: October 21, 2016, 05:21:25 AM

It's true for IBM too.

90%. Of the world, not just the business world, has no idea how to computer. It's not how normal people think at all and they have no intuition or empathy or desire to figure out what the user wants.  Humans don't work well in those systems.  It's no surprise that a platform that removes or hides choices or automates more tasks is better at actual people level use.

Imagine a justice system that was perfectly able to enforce all laws immediately. That's the PC. It sounds great but after the 4th speeding ticket in a day you'd be pissed at the cursing fine when you hit downtown.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #407 on: October 21, 2016, 06:13:24 AM

Well, it would stop this '5mph over is cool' nonsense you hippies started.

"I know I could die instantly at any time at a high statistical probability, but I'm going to shrug off the most basic set of protections put in place to reduce those probabilities and you're an asshole if you don't."
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #408 on: October 21, 2016, 06:55:22 AM

People who don't drive at least 5 mph over the speed limit almost certainly cause more accidents and deaths in this country than those who don't.  Also, most likely Nazi's.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #409 on: October 21, 2016, 08:25:34 AM

Know what I just heard there?

Fuck you, you always say to reboot the machine. There's no reason in 2016 I should have to. My 120 hours of uptime on Win7 isnt the issue, nor are all those browser bars. They help me be productive.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #410 on: October 21, 2016, 08:59:53 AM

It's true for IBM too.

Yep, the link I posted earlier came from an internal chat room.  It's even an improvement for my old-style UNIX admin work, not just software development and DevOps horseshit.

To Merusk's point, there is an nice abstraction layer for non-techs, but being BSD under the hood means a tech like me can do a lot more with less hassle.

This is incredibly on-topic but I am pretty sure that speed limits are not actually calibrated for safety.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #411 on: October 21, 2016, 09:20:19 AM

why so serious?

Anyway, I do 90% of my server admin via the command line in OSX. It's really a nice mix (though at times I'd like more exposed in the GUI!).
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #412 on: October 21, 2016, 10:20:37 AM

I don't want to know what that other 10% is.

I love iTerm2 very much.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #413 on: October 21, 2016, 10:30:12 AM

This is incredibly on-topic but I am pretty sure that speed limits are not actually calibrated for safety.

I actually think the 55mph highway speed limit was set to cut down on fuel consumption during the shitty fuel crisis days of the 70's.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #414 on: October 21, 2016, 11:03:59 AM

It was, and at the time there was a little States' Rights left and the speed law was generally unenforced.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #415 on: October 21, 2016, 11:07:05 AM

I don't want to know what that other 10% is.
Mostly the server admin module for adding new users. So probably more like 99% terminal with our low turnover.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #416 on: October 22, 2016, 05:05:47 AM

I actually think the 55mph highway speed limit was set to cut down on fuel consumption during the shitty fuel crisis days of the 70's.

It's also too fucking slow, especially for long trips. If I can drive 70 mph on shitty roads in an armored suburban with no problems, then it's a no-brainer when I'm driving a normal vehicle on good US roads.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #417 on: October 22, 2016, 11:54:43 AM

This has been 100% my experience over 16 years of running a dual OS environment. I have to regularly clean and maintain the windows machines, and give new employees a policy review on hire if they use them. With the macs, I just give them the quick 'don't do personal stuff on company time' spiel and let them go nuts. We've been pretty lucky with only a half dozen or so service downtimes due to user fuckery...all but one was a pc (and I'm still astounded an ex-employee managed to screw up her profile on a mac...but it didn't affect the shared login, so *shrug*).

On the other hand, the forced obsolescence cycle of the Mac OS is obscene.
The only people who use Macs where I work are people who don't do real work on them (this is distinct from the actual work they do- which is meeting with people/traveling to meet people). They also require constant janitoring because the people using them are usually pretty computer-stupid and basic stuff never stays working, like Time Machines or enterprise printing. Shares can't seem to stay mounted, Outlook never behaves consistently (I chalk this up to Microsoft giving OSX the usual treatment with its Office port- even if 2016 seems improved), etc. Note that a lot of this sounds small- that's again because Macs don't really seem to be used for anything but sending email and looking at documents.

If you're doing development on a Mac you'd probably be best served just using an actual Linux instead of a bad Linux, like OSX. If you're doing iOS app development, you have my condolences and I hope your pain ends soon.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 12:02:55 PM by Fabricated »

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #418 on: October 22, 2016, 01:41:43 PM

MacOS isn't "bad Linux" because it isn't based on Linux. It is based on the real OS that Linux copied  tongue

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #419 on: October 22, 2016, 02:37:10 PM

Linux didn't copy BSD at all (Linus was inspired by MINIX's design, not BSD's). The GNU utilities which are bundled with Linux do use the BSD-style command line switches rather than System V R4's switches (thank god) which does make Linux feel similar to BSD but the kernels are totally different.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Windows 10  
Jump to: