Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:22:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Windows 10 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 108413 times)
luckton
Terracotta Army

on: July 16, 2015, 02:03:37 PM

New version, new thread.

Been using it for the last few weeks. Definitely feels like Windows 7 2.0, which I think is what MS was going for. UI improvements for app/program management, cleaner and more organized control panel, all of the under-the-hood fixes, and I don't have to worry about the cheesy Metro interface on my desktop. Can't comment on DX12 stuffs yet, but the benchmarks from others look promising.

Will be interesting to see if mobile game/app developers start to port their stuff over to Windows now that the Windows app marketplace will soon have a much larger market of people to reach.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 02:10:57 PM

I've been informed that thanks to fucking Edge, my work machine HAS to be upgraded to 10. I so love being a guinea pig, but at least it will let me know if I want to do it to my home machine yet.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 02:15:35 PM

Edge is actually alright. Who knew that deleting 15+ years of useless ActiveX and Java Machine code, along with following industry standards for HTML and all, would make things dramatically faster?  rolleyes

That said, Edge was still used to dig it's own grave in downloading and installing Chrome. Maybe when uBlock Origin or AdBlock Plus puts out an Edge plugin, I'll give it a go.

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 07:03:28 PM

Several days ago I got my brand new 500GB ssd to replace my painfully full 128gb SSD.  I've been holding off on putting it in though since i might as well wait for Windows 10 RTM to come out and just start fresh with it. 
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 05:03:22 AM

How are they going to charge for this? I'm wary that I upgrade and then they fuck me with some sort of subscription.

IT'S FREE!

Except that in 12 months we charge you monthly. Fuck that.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 06:17:46 AM

How are they going to charge for this? I'm wary that I upgrade and then they fuck me with some sort of subscription.

IT'S FREE!

DLC all the things.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 06:22:06 AM

IT'S FREE!

Pretty sure they make most of their money off businesses, universities, etc.  Home users aren't their biggest clients.  At least I know this was definitely true with like Office.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 07:35:17 AM

You won't be able to move that "free" copy to a new computer so they will get their money from you eventually. They will save a lot more in development costs in the long term for updates on older operating systems than they would have gotten from "upgrade" sales since most people just keep their existing OS.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 07:55:55 AM

Sounds like you are saying that the Win10 upgrade is basically to invalidate my Win7 key, unless I want to go back to Win7.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 08:03:41 AM

Sounds like you are saying that the Win10 upgrade is basically to invalidate my Win7 key, unless I want to go back to Win7.

No, your Windows 7 key is only valid for the computer it was originally activated on. (And it stays valid for that machine) Though it is technically possible to move a key between hardware, it requires getting Microsoft to reset your activation key which they are not required to do.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #10 on: July 17, 2015, 08:10:28 AM

I've been lucky so far with hardware upgrades.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 17, 2015, 08:17:11 AM

As a gamer my number one concern is that Windows 10 won't work well with some of my favorite games, including some MMOs I play. Have any of you had a chance to try gaming on it?

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #12 on: July 17, 2015, 12:18:04 PM

As a gamer my number one concern is that Windows 10 won't work well with some of my favorite games, including some MMOs I play. Have any of you had a chance to try gaming on it?

This is also a concern from a Steam standpoint. I will only move if forced at gunpoint.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #13 on: July 17, 2015, 06:27:15 PM

I still use XP. I plan building a new computer at Christmas time and that newfangled windows desktop kerjigger gives me the vapors. Is there an option to make it look like the windows I've used for 20 years?

Also, are hybrid drives reliable? or should I just stick with a stand alone SSD drive and regular HD for storage. I figured with a Hybrid I can get one more physical drive in there and save space or something.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #14 on: July 17, 2015, 07:11:19 PM

It ain't worth it. It sort of made sense when getting an SSD big enough for the OS plus all the games you're actively playing was prohibitively expensive, with 256GB's under $100 and 1TB models within reach, it just doesn't make any sense any more. Get the biggest SSD you can stand the pain of, and a standard HDD big enough for all your bulk data (it doesn't need to be fast), and the result will be cheaper *and* faster than a hybrid of the same combined capacity.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: July 17, 2015, 07:11:36 PM

That was only Windows 8 and the hate is strong for it.  Which is why they are giving free Win 10 upgrades.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #16 on: July 18, 2015, 05:38:01 PM

Win10 will more than likely work perfectly fine with anything that ran in win7.

WinXP stuff, and any game that required a rain dance to get working in Win7 might be a different story. Win10 so far seems a lot less super fucked up like Win8 was at release.

I'm just biting the bullet and buying a full license since i'm tired of fucking around with upgrades. Thank god for working in Academia.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: July 19, 2015, 12:51:22 AM

I still use XP. I plan building a new computer at Christmas time and that newfangled windows desktop kerjigger gives me the vapors. Is there an option to make it look like the windows I've used for 20 years?

Not really, no. 10 looks more like 7 in that they brought back a revitalized Start menu for non-touch screen desktop/laptop usage, but UI changes always abound in Windows upgrades.

Also, good luck trying to find XP drivers for new hardware in the year 2015. Most manufacturers have moved on to having 7 as their baseline for support, and even that's going away in the next few years.

angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #18 on: July 19, 2015, 06:24:56 AM

Also, good luck trying to find XP drivers for new hardware in the year 2015. Most manufacturers have moved on to having 7 as their baseline for support, and even that's going away in the next few years.

Yeah, I haven't bought any new hardware except hard drives since I built this computer in 2007 and don't plan on buying any for it. It's run everything I've wanted to do just fine, including the games I play so I haven't felt the need I used to for having a high end machine. I've been starting to run into wanting to use medical software that won't work on XP so it's time to upgrade.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: July 19, 2015, 10:50:28 AM

Ars Technica just ran an article exploring the "can't stop the update" issue with Win 10.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/07/windows-10-updates-to-be-automatic-and-mandatory-for-home-users/

I gotta run out to catch Ant-Man right now, but in short even pro users don't entirely escape the problem, and this and other issues seems to be stemming from the "Windows as a service" philosophy du jour that Microsoft is playing with.

Speaking of, I keep hearing that the free "upgrade" we're being offered is only good for a year, and then Microsoft could start billing Win 10 users monthly. Any truth to that?

Real Edit: thanks  chimpy for debunking the monthly charge FUD.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 12:04:27 PM by Mandella »
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: July 19, 2015, 11:04:43 AM

Speaking of, I keep hearing that the free "upgrade" we're being offered is only good for a year, and then Microsoft could start billing Win 10 users monthly. Any truth to that?

The monthly charge thing is 100% false.

The "free upgrade for only a year" thing means that they will for a year allow people with a valid windows license to upgrade to 10 for no cost. Once that year lapses, they will need to purchase a full copy (or maybe an upgrade, but I am thinking they might eschew even offering an upgrade SKU at all since they gave people a year grace period). They have released the SKUs/pricing already and the price is pretty much the same as Windows 8.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: July 21, 2015, 11:44:13 AM

You can get an OS with an Intune subscription though, so I would imagine Win10 would be the weapon of choice there.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #22 on: July 22, 2015, 12:52:09 PM

I saw a few lists of "New Things in Windows 10" around the internet and none of them listed anything worth any effort on my part at all. If I bought a new PC today, I would pay the $50 to have Win 7 pre-installed.

I have never played WoW.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #23 on: July 23, 2015, 08:18:47 AM

We're avoiding it at work, and I don't intend to use it at home until I know it won't break the things.

At work, it definitely breaks the things and would mean several rounds of new licenses for other software for no reason. Also, the forced updates kinda fucks with the whole disk protection thing. If I had the time I'd set up some automagic updating while we're closed, but with an IT dep't of 'me' and tons of new tech being integrated, I just don't have time for it and Win 7 works fine.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #24 on: July 23, 2015, 08:27:13 AM

I believe "Win7 works fine" is the core of everyone's complaint here.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #25 on: July 23, 2015, 10:04:35 AM

Users hate change? Naaah that's unpossible.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #26 on: July 23, 2015, 10:28:25 AM

Windows 8.1 works fine, once you strip away everything that makes it different from Win7 and add back the functional Start button. Perhaps even a bit better than Win7 as far as stability/performance goes.

Of course, you realize the entire purpose in the "Free" Win10 is to justify an early sunset for 7 and 8.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: July 23, 2015, 01:08:19 PM

Only real compatibility issue I know of off the top of my head is archage and I think one or two other games by trion use a hack detector that refuses to allow those games to run on windows 10. I assume that is fixed or will be fixed by the time win 10 is fully released but that is an issue current testers of win 10 have encountered.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #28 on: July 23, 2015, 06:23:20 PM

I have never played WoW.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #29 on: July 24, 2015, 11:09:24 AM

Tbh, the reasons in that article are pretty small reasons. Ok, if you are running a Jurassic computer with a serial db9 cable to remotely control your 1950s Bakelite mixer, then ya, sure skip it. You are probably running Windows 3.1 anyway.

Desktop gadgets? Really?

Windows Media Center. Possibly the worst media center ever invented, abandoned by MS itself in 2009.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #30 on: July 24, 2015, 11:13:42 AM

Tbh, the reasons in that article are pretty small reasons. Ok, if you are running a Jurassic computer with a serial db9 cable to remotely control your 1950s Bakelite mixer, then ya, sure skip it. You are probably running Windows 3.1 anyway.

Desktop gadgets? Really?

Windows Media Center. Possibly the worst media center ever invented, abandoned by MS itself in 2009.

Yeah... I ran down the list and marked them all off as no.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #31 on: July 24, 2015, 11:33:13 AM

Install Media Player Classic, or if you want to make people who pirate anime really mad with your choice in video player install VLC.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #32 on: July 24, 2015, 12:01:26 PM

Media Center was good as a DVR/PVR -- i.e. capturing OTA or cable TV broadcasts. There are other programs that can do that but MC had better support for CableCARDs. So removing it will be a loss.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: July 24, 2015, 12:58:18 PM

The only thing I am iffy about with Win10 is that forced updates on Home versions. I still don't know the actual details of how that is supposed to work. Is it going to give you a little leeway so you can schedule it for the middle of the night or whenever, or is it just going to download/install/reboot in the middle of whatever I'm doing without real warning?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: July 24, 2015, 01:14:46 PM

It does this now with Windows 8. I haven't noticed anything funny. It seems to do it while the computer is idle and just lets you know that the next time you restart the updates will be installed.

- Viin
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Windows 10  
Jump to: