Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:24:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: How To Park Your Car And How Not To Park Your Car + Red Barchetta Makes Sense 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How To Park Your Car And How Not To Park Your Car + Red Barchetta Makes Sense  (Read 20403 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

on: July 15, 2015, 05:22:16 AM

Parking the wrong way ?  Jesus, you yanks will use any old law to make money, eh ?

We have tons of really odd laws intended to make money or force people to stop doing things that don't "look good"

Example, in Georgia you can't live on a houseboat for more than 30 days. http://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2010/title-12/chapter-5/article-4/part-4/12-5-288
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 01:07:35 PM by Yegolev »

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 05:30:25 AM

The more important thing here is to acknowledge that people who back into parking spots are awful, awful people.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 05:34:15 AM

The more important thing here is to acknowledge that people who back into parking spots are awful, awful people.

It's true, I really hate those people at my parking deck. I saw a girl as she was getting out of the car next to me after taking forever to back into the fucking spot. I asked her if she backed in because she was robbing the place and had to make a quick getaway.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 05:37:17 AM

Yes, the worst part is that it takes more time to back in/forward out than to do it the way human beings do it.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 06:01:39 AM

It's safer to back into a parking spot than to reverse in to moving traffic and hope they have the common decency/sense to stop and not drive around you. I don't find it any more difficult to back out than in, that's why we have things on cars called wing mirrors.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 06:12:51 AM

Here it comes. awesome, for real

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 06:29:07 AM

I would be happy to discuss how I'm an awful human being in a seperate thread Ohhhhh, I see.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 06:31:37 AM

The only people who can't back into a spot quickly and efficiently are shit drivers who shouldn't be driving in the first place.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 06:50:33 AM

Parking the wrong way ?  Jesus, you yanks will use any old law to make money, eh ?

It sounds silly but I sort of understand it. If you back into a spot when you are getting ready to move there is no light indicators to show that is about to happen so its more dangerous for pedestrians although in theory you are looking straight at them so it should not be that bad. So yes a bit silly but its less silly than some infractions.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 07:06:19 AM

The only people who can't back into a spot quickly and efficiently are shit drivers who shouldn't be driving in the first place.

With you all the way.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 07:25:34 AM

It's safer to back into a parking spot than to reverse in to moving traffic and hope they have the common decency/sense to stop and not drive around you. I don't find it any more difficult to back out than in, that's why we have things on cars called wing mirrors.

Mine's in a fucking parking garage. Just get in there and quit dicking around.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 07:48:05 AM

I don't dick around, just reverse straight in. It's called knowing how to drive and judge distance.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 08:17:09 AM

I don't dick around, just reverse straight in. It's called knowing how to drive and judge distance.

Good for you. If I had a dollar for how many people I've sat behind this last year back in, go forward, back in, go forward, and finally straighten that shit up? I'd pay rent this month.

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: July 15, 2015, 08:58:19 AM

Good thing they don't live somewhere where they'd have to parallel park, then.

Over and out.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: July 15, 2015, 09:25:57 AM

Good for you. If I had a dollar for how many people I've sat behind this last year back in, go forward, back in, go forward, and finally straighten that shit up? I'd pay rent this month.
Like I said about shit drivers. If for some ungodly reason, I didn't make it in exactly how I wanted and I need to adjust, I make damn sure I am not going to hold people up by making a correction. I will wait till there are no longer people driving by. Of course this applies equally to pulling in forwards. Sometimes if there is a lot of traffic in the parking lane, I will just pull in forwards quickly so everybody can continue on about their business, I then park the way I want to when I am not holding people up.

Edit: It occurs to me now that nobody here is really complaining about parking habits so much as they are complaining about shitty discourteous drivers.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #15 on: July 15, 2015, 09:55:48 AM

Good:

Bad:

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #16 on: July 15, 2015, 10:55:28 AM

Edit: It occurs to me now that nobody here is really complaining about parking habits so much as they are complaining about shitty discourteous drivers.

I mostly hate people driving trucks. Unless you are in construction or a contractor or you are currently hauling shit, there's ZERO reason for you to be driving a truck everyday in Atlanta. Zero.

And those idiots driving trucks in a city have no clue how to park. A drunk 12 year old would have more luck.

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #17 on: July 15, 2015, 11:21:38 AM

Bad:

No shit it's bad, that guy is taking up two spaces, like he's afraid someone is going to ding his doors. What an asshole.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #18 on: July 15, 2015, 01:44:48 PM

It sounds silly but I sort of understand it. If you back into a spot when you are getting ready to move there is no light indicators to show that is about to happen so its more dangerous for pedestrians although in theory you are looking straight at them so it should not be that bad. So yes a bit silly but its less silly than some infractions.
wat

I back into spots unless they're angled into traffic.

But then, I know how to fucking drive great. And I spent a few years backing up dump trucks with just side mirrors through tight spots.

Now, people who drive into angled spots and then fuck up the flow when they have to make an obtuse turn to get back into the traffic flow? Yeah, fuck them.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: July 15, 2015, 01:46:36 PM

Oops, didn't see the following page's posts.

If someone makes you wait while they perfect their back-in, they're assholes. One should at least let traffic flow before adjusting.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: July 15, 2015, 04:46:08 PM

Good:

Bad:

That first one is from a jackie chan movie.

I am the .00000001428%
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: July 15, 2015, 05:08:22 PM

And those idiots driving trucks in a city have no clue how to park. A drunk 12 year old would have more luck.
No kidding.  I love driving my truck when I need it, but parking it in anything resembling traffic is such a hassle (F250 long bed) that I never drive it unless I'm exercising it or actually hauling something.  I see all the dipshits around here driving huge jacked up trucks taking forever to park or just flat out taking up 2-3 parking spots at an angle because they are lazy.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #22 on: July 15, 2015, 05:57:17 PM

Paelos is in Atlanta.

People back in a lot there, and it's fucking obnoxious. It makes way more sense to pull in forward, when you have less space, and back out where there's more space. And usually takes less time.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #23 on: July 15, 2015, 06:11:34 PM

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: July 15, 2015, 07:42:16 PM

Consider this:  When I back my pickup into a space, the mirrors and reverse camera allow me to avoid hitting your car with ease.  Driving in forward to a tight space, I'm often just kinda guessing whether or not my front bumper is clearing your vehicle.  A collision won't bother my bumper all that much, but it'll ruin your car's day.

The rear of the pickup also overhangs curbs a lot farther than the front, keeping more of my giant-ass vehicle out the way of drivers.

(Don't tell me I'm a bad person for driving a pickup.  I don't live in Atlanta or park in parking garages)

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: July 15, 2015, 08:21:04 PM

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #26 on: July 15, 2015, 08:40:01 PM

Most people don't use their mirrors, or have rear cameras. Ohhhhh, I see.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: July 15, 2015, 08:52:16 PM

You can aftermarket one for not much these days.  I'm tempted to mount one on the front of the pickup.  I do a walkaround when it's parallel parked to make sure nobody left their scooters/motorcycles/really tiny-ass cars in front of it, but you can't be too safe (that shit is invisible once you climb into the driver's seat)

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #28 on: July 15, 2015, 09:35:25 PM

If a person understands how to properly back into a parking space it can be faster and easier than pulling in, especially if it's a big car or truck. The problem is most people don't know how to properly do it and don't care two shits about making people wait while they make micro adjustments the middle of the lane for 15 minutes. College parking decks are the worst for this shit.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: July 16, 2015, 12:09:58 AM

I can't prove it, but I have a feeling that there is a high correlation between people who back into spaces and people who are also douches.  I am not directing that towards anyone in this thread, necessarily, just based on personal observation.  They tend to also drive fancy german cars or pickups, again a sign of probable douchosity.  I would also place a small wager that these people are far more likely to be smacking into other vehicles, despite being better drivers in their minds.  They may in fact be more skilled with the vehicle, but that usually just means they are taking more risks.  This is why males cause all the accidents, even though they are "better drivers".

Still not worth a 15 dollar ticket.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: July 16, 2015, 02:12:32 AM

The same people who back in badly will also make micro adjustments when going forward to a space surrounded by other cars. They won't understand they need to swing out to get the right entry angle. To me it seems the problem here isn't with the direction it's just bad drivers.

Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: July 16, 2015, 05:51:49 AM

I back in to spaces all the time. It takes just as long as going in front-wise.

Most people that fuck up a park here though have the courtesy to wait for traffic to pass before adjusting. So I haven't really had an issue with parking direction before.

"You finally did it, you magnificent bastards. You went so nerd that even I don't know WTF you're talking about anymore. I salute you." - WindupAtheist
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #32 on: July 16, 2015, 07:18:44 AM

I'd like to see a demonstration or at least a diagram on how backing in takes less time than going straight in.  Maybe I can learn something and become one of those back-in douches.

Of course, using the same principles it will take longer to back out than to simply drive straight out.

I'd also like to stir up a conversation on who pulls through parking spots in an open lot, instead of backing out even if there is no one in front of you.

angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #33 on: July 16, 2015, 07:31:02 AM

I'd like to see a demonstration or at least a diagram on how backing in takes less time than going straight in.  Maybe I can learn something and become one of those back-in douches.

Of course, using the same principles it will take longer to back out than to simply drive straight out.

I'd also like to stir up a conversation on who pulls through parking spots in an open lot, instead of backing out even if there is no one in front of you.

You just turn opposite the space as you're driving past at about a 45 degree angle until the right end of the rear bumper is about where you want the right side of the car to be. Then you just turn the wheel the other way and back up. Parallel parking is about the same. Pulling in forwards can be just as easy assuming the person driving knows to buttonhook before pulling in. Otherwise you get that thing where the person decides they're going to hit one of the cars on either side, then the forward and back dancing begins.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: July 16, 2015, 07:55:08 AM

The only reason otherwise competent drivers have any issues with backing in is that they don't regularly back in. I do it out of habit even if I don't need to, just to stay in practice. So when I'm in a busy place I can execute a quick and precise (usually) back-in. Had to do it a ton when my fiancee was in the hospital, and almost always at concerts because I'd never get out otherwise. Actually had the parking lot attendant come over and thank me for knowing how to park properly last weekend when we saw the Stones.

Main issue most people seem to have with parking is not understanding how everything hinges on the fixed wheels. I learned that working road construction in the 80s, but got to be an expert while driving a forklift in the 90s. It's good to do a variety of jobs, it builds a general competence :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: How To Park Your Car And How Not To Park Your Car + Red Barchetta Makes Sense  
Jump to: