Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2017, 12:26:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
Donate! | Subscribe! | Shop: Amazon

***DONATION DRIVE 2 HAS BEGUN:
CLICK HERE TO BURN MONEY***
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  PC/Console Gaming  |  Topic: XCOM 2 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Go Down Print
Author Topic: XCOM 2  (Read 17443 times)
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #350 on: July 18, 2016, 08:52:14 PM

I've just started playing this again, and have been taking a look through the mod landscape since I last played.

Not a huge amount of difference, but the Long War team looks to have been hired to put out a few more mods, which seem to be leading up to a more changed experience:

1. Toolbox (Not Created Equal, Red Fog, Hidden Potential, Up to 12 sized squad, Ui stuff)
2. Laser Weapon Tier (post magentic, pre plasma).
3. Perk Pack (new classes, PCS, abilities).
4. Aliens pack
5. Unannounced

The bold are out, the other not yet. This all looks to be leading up to more of a marathon mode, so I suspect that the last mod will be in that line.

This is good, as the quality of the other mods is not great. Some nice ideas, but some clunky execution, and too many mods that mix up their 1 good idea with 15 crappy ones, making it an overall not that useful product.

Two two DLC are average, but they do add a little something extra.

I checking out a bunch more mods, but nothing especially promising. I think it's probably a few more key planks away from a really significantly changed experience.

Expect poison from the standing water.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #351 on: July 19, 2016, 04:49:40 AM

I really didn't like the DLC so far.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #352 on: July 19, 2016, 06:41:51 AM

I really didn't like the DLC so far.

Hopefully they're saving the good stuff for a proper expansion.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #353 on: July 19, 2016, 07:06:10 PM

Ok, so I've tried a few other mods that make the game pretty different and fun:

Additional Mission Types - Some different and fun mission types
Guerrilla War - Changes the mission play significantly, requiring you to evac out of almost all missions, and only get resources when you pull them out (enemy bodies, supplies, etc)

More minor, but also contributing:

A Better AI
Squad Cohesion

As a whole they make the game feel much more of a grind on the tactical level, like you really are up against overwhelming odds and just need to get stuff done as fast as possible and take whatever you can get.

I just had a great rescue mission where you have to break out a VIP from jail, but as soon as you do the enemy blocks your air extraction for 8 turns while sending wave after wave of troops at you, but you also gain the help of some local resistance forces in the way of a few rookies. It was a completely different feel.

Sadly there's a bug with the extraction which I haven't puzzled out yet (just this mission, others to date were fine).

Edit: After further playing it seems the might both be too buggy at this point, alas.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 02:32:18 AM by lamaros »

Flood
Terracotta Army

Reply #354 on: July 20, 2016, 01:05:10 PM

Since I got it on the Summer Sale I've been playing it pretty regularly to quell some of my recent post update Warframe rage.  I played the hell out of XCOM 1, installed the original Long War and did a couple of playthroughs, etc.  

XCOM 2 proceeded to kick the shit out of me.  I was playing on Vet and made it a good way into the game but limping along, haunted by the Avatar timer, with slew of KIA's and shaken soldiers.  I decided to start with a clean slate and try again.  Since that was the case I also downloaded some mods to see how it would change the game.  I installed the whole Long War suite (minus Laser Weapons but I did install the SMG weapon set), some cosmetic mods, a handful of the "fixes" like Gotcha! and Quit Wasting My Time, and a couple misc. ones like Squad Cohesion.  I didn't want to significantly change the core game, just tweak it some.

I'm fairing a bit better this round, likely due to previous experience more than anything, but the LW mods are a nice change-up.  The new classes and perks are neat.  I like the RPG / skill up facet of games and the LW stuff addresses that nicely.  Overall I think the LW stuff is worth a download - but only on a fresh play through due to bad mojo with save games and shit going sideways.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 03:18:55 PM by Flood »
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #355 on: July 20, 2016, 04:09:06 PM

recent post update Warframe rage.

At the risk of being off-topic, what happened? I haven't played Warframe in about a year.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #356 on: July 20, 2016, 04:18:51 PM

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #357 on: July 20, 2016, 07:40:41 PM

It seems a few people are getting the crash issues I've been having, but the cause isn't clear. It might be due to a mod, or a game update, or whatever.

Edit: Seems to be when you reload from a save in a tactical mission. So, don't do this. Trying again and so far so good, and the mods are making the game much fun.

Examples.

First mission, instead of just blowing up the statue, you need to blow it up and then extract out. But you only take the bodies you extract out with, so you probably want to get as many as possible, including a captain, for research and selling purposes. But balancing this is tricky, as reinforcements keep getting called in. I had to run out with just a couple of trooper bodies as I was getting pincered from behind by reinforcements.

Second mission is VIP kill/capture. Same deal, you still have to extract out, but on your terms. As soon as you blow cover you can't call in the skyranger for 8 turns though, as enemies reinforcements also pile in, so you really have to pick the moment you break cover, then have to weigh up the cost of getting the VIP and other bodies along with keeping safe for those 8 turns as you slowly get more overwhelmed. I was forced to extract out with the VIP, a captain and sectiod, as my 4th unit got caught from behind by reinforcements.

The game feels much more like you're a hunted revolutionary force this way.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 09:54:24 PM by lamaros »

Flood
Terracotta Army

Reply #358 on: July 20, 2016, 11:06:14 PM

recent post update Warframe rage.

At the risk of being off-topic, what happened? I haven't played Warframe in about a year.

I've been debating posting in the Warframe thread, but I felt like it would just come off as a rant.  In very (very) brief - they rolled out an update which "revamped" many aspects of the game.  The net effect is to noticeably stop down acquiring loot (gear), experience, and in-game currency.  It also makes it more difficult for new players to progress.  The majority of the player base isn't happy - me included, and I already have pretty much all the gear / loot / cosmetic stuff you can get.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #359 on: July 21, 2016, 04:48:24 AM

This is always one of the strangest moves developers make--late in the cycle of a game's life to make the game strikingly more difficult and unpleasant for any new player who might happen upon it. And yet it happens fairly often.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #360 on: July 23, 2016, 08:36:12 AM

More XCOM2 Mod talk:

I'm been playing with Squad Cohesion, Squad Notoriety, Grimy's Morale Mod, Additional Mission Types, LW Leader Pack, Potentials, Scanning Sites Plus, and Guerrilla War (Alpha). I'm also using LW Toolbox for Not Created Equal, Hidden Potential and Red Fog.

So far I would say this make the game quite different, especially in regard to squad selection, and is lots of fun. The only points I'm not 100% sold on as if I should be using LW Perk Pack. I think those classes are a little too strong, and a bit boring.

I've also been playing with 6 Soldiers in the starting squad, but I think that that makes the game too easy.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #361 on: January 20, 2017, 05:34:09 AM

Long War 2 is out, apparently.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #362 on: January 22, 2017, 08:32:30 AM

Interesting - I lost interest in xcom2 before finishing mostly because of missing LW features.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Teleku
Terracotta Army

http://tinyurl.com/d89qk7g

Reply #363 on: January 22, 2017, 12:07:14 PM

Loved both games, but never really got into the long war.  Might try it out on Xcom 2 then.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  PC/Console Gaming  |  Topic: XCOM 2  
Jump to: