Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:05:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: XCOM 2 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: XCOM 2  (Read 178976 times)
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: June 28, 2015, 02:50:51 AM

Nope, fuck the Long War giving my troopers 33 day injuries when they WEREN'T EVEN TOUCHED.

If someone made me take down a UFO with 2 dozen heavily armed monsters, using pop guns and 5 friends, I'd want a month off afterwards as well.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: June 28, 2015, 03:08:51 PM

Ohhhh Man, some of these scripted missions have been made so very, very lol.

The first Exalt one where you have to rescue the dude.  Ok, so you slog through a MILLION Thin men and those fucking cloaked strangly bastards and then you think 'Ok, I'll setup before I talk to him because I remember a couple of dudes dropping in to stop me in the real game'.

And then you talk to him and 50 dudes drop from the fucking sky, wielding large dildos and a box of no Lube.

Jesus, this is fun.  Seriously.  It's brilliant.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: June 28, 2015, 04:57:20 PM

There's hard and then there's repetitive fuck hard. No thanks.

Went the dynamic war route which tones down everything 50%.

I like my singe player games a litttttle bit more rewarding than Long War.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #38 on: June 28, 2015, 05:27:26 PM

I had a buddy spec'ing me on Steam, so thought I would go back and play this.

Had no idea the cloud saves actually worked - was 2 missions from the end on Classic Ironman. Nice to finally finish the game.

Kind of sad that I essentially 2-shot the final boss, though.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: June 30, 2015, 01:34:22 PM

Design things I love about long war:

- Recovery time forcing you to take different squads with different composition.

- People die and that's ok.

- Countries are lost and that's ok.

- Aliens don't give the impression that they teleport in groups of 2 at the edge of vision regardless of how you move around the map.

- So many development options that soldiers feel 'reasonably' unique.

- The mini tank things have a distinct role.

- If you fall too far behind, the scripted missions give a clear 'you are now fucked' message before you waste too much time.

- Playing your A team is not a one way bet, some of them will likely die and you are going to be fucked if an Even Bigger Giant Robot Crab appears while they are recovering.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: June 30, 2015, 02:09:23 PM

What mini tank things ?  The SHIVS ?  Do they ?

Oh.

ACK!

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: June 30, 2015, 03:22:52 PM

By distinct role I just mean you can charge them headlong into the enemy and they don't cost that much to repair.

Which can be useful in long war and not in the main game.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: July 01, 2015, 03:04:38 AM

Trouble with that is Long War is even MORE sensitive to 'oh crap, I've woken up 12 of these fuckers'.  I inch forward with my guys so I can deal with the 3 I can see first.  Sending in Teh Doomztank to get them all going would be bad.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: July 03, 2015, 07:32:03 AM

I've saved a fair number of guys by charging it into enemy lines, taking out one monster and absorbing fire from the others.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: July 16, 2015, 11:08:07 AM

The Long War is a lot of fun. And hard.

Though hilariously the Nova Scotia chrysalids-in-a-shark thing was a cakewalk, I guess because by this point I know to just send one guy to call the air strike. I expected to get jumped by eight times as much bullshit after the trigger thought.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: July 17, 2015, 06:07:08 AM

Having Close Combat being useful is a surprising twist.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: July 17, 2015, 08:19:32 AM

Yeah! It's actually hugely useful. Glad I took it on some guys. In general, I've spread out ability-taking more than I have in other games. Maybe partly because you can't just have the one alpha squad, might as well mix-and-match a bit more to see.
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: July 23, 2015, 06:05:41 PM

I'm loving Long War, but yeah, I took the easy mode and set it on Quick and Dirty (half the aliens).  Probably gone on around 20 something missions already and still don't even have lasers or even the first armor upgrade!  Oh, and I'm keeping all of my countries happy except for Argentina, which bailed on me in week one without me even failing a mission with them.  Weak willed, southern hemisphere donkey fuckers.
cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #48 on: July 24, 2015, 07:26:44 AM

One country leaving you soon after starting the LW campaign is hardcoded and unavoidable.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #49 on: July 24, 2015, 06:47:39 PM

Also they do that because you can liberate the country from the xenos at a later time given you meet the proper criteria.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: August 07, 2015, 10:53:53 AM

OMG.

Some really cool stuff...

Also, this is what they were actually watching...
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 11:01:05 AM by Ironwood »

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: August 21, 2015, 06:55:11 AM

Still in the grip of Long War, which is starting to feel like a prequel to XCOM2 anyway, since I'm slowly losing the world. I think I didn't grasp how much my entire science output had to be directed towards getting some combat-worthy interceptors in the air. Most of the time I just have to watch while UFOs cruise around and pray that a few of them will land so I can get my hands on the salvage from them.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: December 10, 2015, 09:29:21 AM

Huge info dump today.

New trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0qHZG1-rEg&ab_channel=XCOM

RPS Article: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/12/10/xcom-2-preview/

Eurogamer 60 minute gameplay with dev commentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwHPhQXavPA&ab_channel=Eurogamer

And a handful of gameplay videos:

DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: January 29, 2016, 03:11:35 AM

Soooon! I pre-ordered.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: January 29, 2016, 01:07:51 PM

I also pre-ordered, from Greenman this time, as they are offering the Deluxe edition with its season pass deal for a few bucks less than the base game's MSRP.

Everything I've seen about this looks fantastic.
Arinon
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: January 29, 2016, 08:35:00 PM

Never really dealt with Greenman before, went to check that out.  Looks like they don't deal in CDN, making both standard and deluxe ~$10 more than the Steam pricing after conversion.

Need the American economy to start tanking before game prices hit triple digits up here!
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #56 on: January 30, 2016, 01:22:10 PM

I want to preorder this but I'm broke as a fucking joke till midway through the month :/
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: January 30, 2016, 01:33:32 PM

Never really dealt with Greenman before, went to check that out.  Looks like they don't deal in CDN, making both standard and deluxe ~$10 more than the Steam pricing after conversion.

Need the American economy to start tanking before game prices hit triple digits up here!

I bought it from ozgameshop, dunno if that's better for Canadian dollars too.
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: January 31, 2016, 10:04:23 AM

Some of these specials (most notably GreenMan) end Feb 01, so get hopping!

Also, the text on these offers state that you get the season pass and goodies with the Digital Deluxe version.  The bullet points at purchase say Reinforcement Pack + goodies.  The Reinforcement Pack IS the season pass.

The Resistance Warrior pack is the pre-order bonus, and it's just some extra customization options for soldiers.

This may be sceamingly obvious to everyone else, but I spent half an hour yesterday trying to track down the pre-order special with the season pass attached.   Argh!

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #59 on: January 31, 2016, 12:08:46 PM

Greenman apparently is already over, since the Deluxe version is $75, the same price as on Steam.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #60 on: January 31, 2016, 02:25:26 PM

The discount is still there if you are logged in and check the VIP section.

For VIPs (members):

XCOM 2 is $46.19 ($59.99 list)
XCOM 2 Digital Deluxe is $57.74 ($74.99 list)

GMG's site design is horrible so you often have to dig around to find the actual deals.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: January 31, 2016, 05:59:07 PM

I'm glad I didn't watch any of the preview stuff until this week. It looks like they've really upped their game on the strategy layer, which was the biggest flaw in the first game for me (teleporting aliens and uninspiring difficulty gradients being next). I'm very excited to blow all of my Saturday on this.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: February 01, 2016, 02:36:27 PM

Reviews are in, current metacritic score is 91.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/xcom-2/critic-reviews

ust describing the strategic layer doesn’t capture the rhythm of success and setback that makes it so gripping. The game cleverly uses scarcity of opportunity to force you into difficult dilemmas. At any one time you might have only six possible scan sites, while combat encounters are largely meted out by the game, but what you choose to do with this narrow range of options matters enormously. You need to recruit new rookies; you need an engineer to build a comms facility that will let you contact more territories; you need alien alloys to upgrade your weapons. You can’t have all of these. You can probably only have one. In 1989 Sid Meier described games as “a series of interesting decisions.” XCOM 2 is the purest expression of that ethos that Firaxis has yet produced.

Brilliantly, you even have to scan to collect your monthly cache of supplies, hidden in the landscape to escape alien detection. I have left supplies on the ground for a week because I needed to recruit an engineer. I needed to hit an alien base to reduce the Avatar Project count—a doom clock that is very bad news if it maxes out. I needed Advent corpses to get a vital armour upgrade. I needed a cup of tea because it was all getting a bit too much. This narrow series of opportunities fits the fantasy perfectly. You take whatever you can get. You’re scraping food and fuel out of the dirt to keep The Avenger in the air.

Does sound like the strategy layer and general flow of the game is more interesting.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 02:39:10 PM by lamaros »
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: February 03, 2016, 02:58:28 PM

Pre-load up, though I feel I'm the only one really invested here!
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #64 on: February 03, 2016, 03:22:04 PM

I'm being slammed at work right now, otherwise I would be more excited about it.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #65 on: February 03, 2016, 05:42:28 PM

Half the time excitement is the anticipation of the unknown. I bought it but I feel like I already know what I'm getting. There's some nice tweaks, like fixing the damned "aliens run when sighted" problem, but it's still the same game as before, just better.

I only question if I'll have the time to play it.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: February 03, 2016, 07:40:03 PM

Looking forward to it. May struggle a bit to find time in the next week or so for it though.
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: February 03, 2016, 08:33:59 PM

No real reason to get excited; it's just a better version of the first one. Granted, that made it worth pre-ordering (one of only two games this year I'll pre-order) but as already noted; we pretty much know exactly what we're going to get. That dampens a lot of excitement.

I just hope a number of the bugs I've seen in various streams are fixed in the release build.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: February 03, 2016, 09:42:37 PM

I'm pretty excited about it, though coming out so quickly after Darkest Dungeon is going to be a bit of a problem... hnng.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: February 04, 2016, 03:18:19 AM

I'm slammed at work, playing Darkest, also Hex, also Diablo, also thinking about maybe finishing Fallout 4 at some point.  Also, broke.

Beyond that, stoked.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: XCOM 2  
Jump to: