Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:17:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: XCOM 2 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: XCOM 2  (Read 178353 times)
Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #245 on: February 16, 2016, 08:46:35 PM

Anyone poked at the dev tools yet? How open is the game? I wouldn't find fixing a few issues, myself.

"You finally did it, you magnificent bastards. You went so nerd that even I don't know WTF you're talking about anymore. I salute you." - WindupAtheist
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #246 on: February 16, 2016, 10:16:30 PM

Not yet, plan on giving it a go soon. The game is great but it gets boring on replays about 1/3 of the way through.

I'm tempted to see if I can fiddle a few things and make more of the experience I'd like.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #247 on: February 17, 2016, 04:21:58 AM

Every once in a while I get some pretty odd place name/map location mismatches. Just got sent to a VIP extraction supposedly in Pretoria that the map marker placed in northern Madagascar.
WayAbvPar

Reply #248 on: February 17, 2016, 09:11:04 AM

Heh, yeah last night I had a VIP snatch in the Arctic, and it said I was in Beijing. Global warming is a myth!

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #249 on: February 17, 2016, 11:03:33 AM

The fact that map zones have no geographic understanding of reality to them is how you know X-com is American-made.

"East Coast" zone of the USA includes the Great Lakes. Had a mission in Chicago and the computer said, "Now headed to East Coast, United States" I was like WTF?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #250 on: February 17, 2016, 11:25:33 AM

Err, they have massive zones that cover a really broad regional sphere, as the map shows.  Lore wise its that most of civilaztion has been wrecked, and the survivors herded into big colonies.  And if you have a mission in the hinterlands that's somewhat near one of these big zones, it says you are going there. 

The Beijing/Arctic thing is funny.  Chicago/East Coast is truth.   awesome, for real

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #251 on: February 17, 2016, 12:00:51 PM

It's as much truth as Beijing/ Arctic.  Beijing is within that regional map you just used to justify Chicago as East Coast.  awesome, for real

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #252 on: February 17, 2016, 03:48:57 PM

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=626291285

Has promise for cosmetic uniform management.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #253 on: February 17, 2016, 09:11:35 PM

It's as much truth as Beijing/ Arctic.  Beijing is within that regional map you just used to justify Chicago as East Coast.  awesome, for real
Eh, anything east of the Mississippi is the east coast.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #254 on: February 18, 2016, 03:17:02 AM

America has places that are not on a coast?

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #255 on: February 18, 2016, 06:31:36 AM

Telluride is pretty coastless. I know because I wanna live there.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #256 on: February 18, 2016, 08:03:38 AM

America has places that are not on a coast?

Keep that attitude up and we're voting for Trump.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #257 on: February 18, 2016, 09:31:03 AM

Telluride is pretty coastless. I know because I wanna live there.

It's pretty gorgeous, and some of the best skiing I've come across. Really laid back, too.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #258 on: February 18, 2016, 10:59:54 AM

The more i play the more i wish gameplay was more about winning actual firefights and less about beating one pod at a time before they ever get a turn.  Damage is way too high, wounds are way too punishing, end game abilities mostly revolve about not letting the other side ever get a shot off because you are fucked if they do.

I am the .00000001428%
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #259 on: February 18, 2016, 01:29:56 PM

The more i play the more i wish gameplay was more about winning actual firefights and less about beating one pod at a time before they ever get a turn.  Damage is way too high, wounds are way too punishing, end game abilities mostly revolve about not letting the other side ever get a shot off because you are fucked if they do.

That was my thought as well. I enjoyed my time with it, but I find myself done with this one way faster. I don't think we're going to get one this go around, but a Long War type rebalance would be really good. For the most part, the turn by turn tactical play is really entertaining, but you're right. Wounds are too punishing and there's no easy way to come back from getting heavily wounded. You've only got one maybe two turns of protracted fire fight in a full mission before you are looking at a dead squad. However, changing anything would probably throw the who deal out of whack.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #260 on: February 18, 2016, 01:35:10 PM

Yeah I tried looking at the mod tools last night but my brain was fried.

I'd like to change the balance of health so that there are more drawn out fights and less one round massacres. And tweak some of the damage so one shot kills are rare, like high end crits only on the weaker enemies.

Tweak damage for the aliens so their aim is better, so they hit more often, but do less when they do.

I expect these changes shouldn't be too hard to do.

Then I also want to adjust pod size, and adjust AI so the aliens can shoot first if they discover you on their turn.

That might be a little harder, but not too hard.

There's already a wound timer tweak I could incorporate. So that's easy to adjust.

And a lot of other stuff that is probably too hard to do without lots more experience. Like changes to how engineers and scientists are used,  blah blah.

Maybe this weekend I can follow a few guide and pke through some other mods to see how it all works.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 01:41:20 PM by lamaros »
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #261 on: February 18, 2016, 01:46:09 PM

Then I also want to adjust pod size, and adjust AI so the aliens can shoot first if they discover you on their turn.

This one they can already do, but it seems to be a function of the triggering guy being out of cover. I think one change could be to give cover in general a damage reduction instead of just a flat negative to hit.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #262 on: February 18, 2016, 02:16:57 PM

This one they can already do, but it seems to be a function of the triggering guy being out of cover. I think one change could be to give cover in general a damage reduction instead of just a flat negative to hit.

Nah, they don't do it. Only on the ambush turn they can do it, not future turns. I want it for all turns.
Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #263 on: February 18, 2016, 06:47:03 PM

Good to know I'm not the only person who realised that one-round pod kills are the optimal way to play the entire game.

"You finally did it, you magnificent bastards. You went so nerd that even I don't know WTF you're talking about anymore. I salute you." - WindupAtheist
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #264 on: February 19, 2016, 03:15:46 AM

Well, I've been testing it out with changed health, and it's certainly not one round battles anymore!

Modding certain things is very easy with the tools provided, hopefully I'll have something to show for it soon.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 06:26:11 AM by lamaros »
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #265 on: February 19, 2016, 08:12:21 AM

One thing I'd like is a return to the previous armor mechanic where you had to eat into base health to get injured. That just felt better. The problem with that is that you end up with the super squads again instead of the more interesting rotation method. I really liked the thematic approach that Long War took to this problem. With fatigue you had to rotate your squads, but you rarely had to wait a comparative eternity to get your "good" guys back.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #266 on: February 19, 2016, 04:49:35 PM

Yeah I don't know how to do that yet. I'd be good to get fatigue back in there.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #267 on: February 23, 2016, 05:08:35 PM

This is the ultimate mod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=appHBe0ZSOA

/mic drop /paintbrush drop

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #268 on: February 24, 2016, 05:32:53 PM

What are some good/must have mods for this?
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #269 on: February 24, 2016, 06:34:56 PM

What are some good/must have mods for this?

My current subscribed ones are as follows. I strongly recommend those I've made red.

Ease of use mods

Instant Avenger Menus
- Custs down Avenger transitions.

Always Show Shot Breakdowns
- Not 100% sure this is working.

Better Tactical Zoom Out
- You can zoom out more.

Ignore Missing Content
- Ignore 'missing content' errors from mods.

Numeric Health Display
- Displays health and armor as numbers.

Stop Wasting My Time
-Cuts down on a lot of areas where the game wastes time or takes control from you.

Mission Time Remaining
- Shows remaining time on scanning options and missions on map.

Free Camera Rotation
- as named.

Evac All
- as named.

Content mods

SMG Pack
- New gun.

Muton Centurion Alien Pack
- New alien.

My mod related ones

Second Wave Reborn
- I don't use this, just subscribed as I borrow elements in my mod.

Extended Fights
- My Mod in development.

Map related

World Expansion Project: ADVENT
More Maps Pack

- More diversity to random maps.

Cosmetic related

Uniforms Manager
- Great mod for managing uniforms between soldiers.

Additional cosmetic options

Free the Hood
DiversePatterns
Pirate Pack Tattoo.
Custom Bandanas - Armour Colours/Pattern
Ink And Paint
Military Camouflage Patterns
Additional Tattoos and Facepaints - Asian
Capnbubs Accessories Pack
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 06:56:58 PM by lamaros »
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #270 on: February 24, 2016, 08:29:24 PM

Thanks.  I picked this up tonight and have played through the first few missions.  Kind of wish I was able to create my own troops right off the bat but I'll do some customization later on.  I already downloaded the Bob Ross and Ahnold voice overs. awesome, for real
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #271 on: February 25, 2016, 04:53:56 AM

There's also one mod that opens up all customization options regardless of rank.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #272 on: February 25, 2016, 05:21:50 AM

I just embraced the idea with my squad. Squaddies get certain cosmetic enhancements as they get the requisite # of kills.

5 kills gets you a left arm Xcom tat. If a ranger you also get a headwrap w/ eyeblack facepaint.
15 kills and you get sleeved on the right. Thematic to how that squaddie's built. Sleeves come off of uniform. (Except my GI-Joe "Firefly" heavy)
20 kills you pierce your face.
30 kills as a sniper gets the skull facepaint and you shave your head bald, man or woman.

Highest member only had 35 individual kills and was a ranger so I never progressed beyond 30.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #273 on: February 25, 2016, 05:55:42 AM

I had a few around 100 kills on my legend play. It's slower, but I was also slow...
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #274 on: February 25, 2016, 07:06:12 AM

I recommend the trooper class mod (here), because i feel the game is missing a straight up "guy who shoots people" class and it bumps you to an even 6 classes.  Also cause I'm playing with G.I. Joes and they mostly fall under the "guy who only shoots people" category.

I am the .00000001428%
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #275 on: February 25, 2016, 12:45:10 PM

I recommend the trooper class mod (here), because i feel the game is missing a straight up "guy who shoots people" class and it bumps you to an even 6 classes.  Also cause I'm playing with G.I. Joes and they mostly fall under the "guy who only shoots people" category.

For "guy who shoots" I liked the Infantryman. He has Ever Vigilant Covering Fire for Overwatch and Shredder with Holo Targeting.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #276 on: February 25, 2016, 06:31:54 PM

There is nothing more hilarious than watching G.I. Joes completely freak the fuck out when one of them dies.  Legendary ironman is like literally this.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 06:35:40 PM by Threash »

I am the .00000001428%
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #277 on: February 25, 2016, 07:17:18 PM

I'd pay real money for a good Arrested Development voicepack.

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #278 on: February 26, 2016, 06:07:21 AM

"I've made a huge mistake" should be the motto of this game.

-Stephen Colbert
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #279 on: February 26, 2016, 06:21:33 AM

"I've made a huge mistake" should be the motto of this game.

Replace "enemies spotted" with that.

I am the .00000001428%
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: XCOM 2  
Jump to: