Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:28:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Legends of Tomorrow 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Legends of Tomorrow  (Read 44433 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: May 16, 2015, 03:40:03 PM

Rory ?  What the hell.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: May 16, 2015, 04:23:01 PM

Timelord by process of osmosis.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: May 17, 2015, 08:09:21 AM

I trust his artistic abilities to the fullest. Not only did he do a good job in Doctor Who, he also managed to say "I'm a member of the time masters" without saying "Time Lord" instead or starting to giggle.

So, he'll be fine.  awesome, for real
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #38 on: May 17, 2015, 10:28:26 AM

The Rory role proved to me how good an actor Darvill is because that character could so easily have been an utter throwaway comic relief cutout. Instead, he became one of my favorite companions, to the point I was pissed about how they took him out like a punk. He'll do fine as Rip Hunter.

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: May 27, 2015, 03:03:53 PM

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: May 27, 2015, 03:27:35 PM

Not really what I meant, either of you.

I have no idea who Rip Hunter is.  So, for me, that trailer just had Rory in a big coat.

It threw me right out of any immersion I had.  It's Rory.  In a Big Coat.

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: May 28, 2015, 04:35:18 AM

I'm starting to worry I have some sort of facial recognition issue because I never recognise any of these actors I've seen in other shows (or almost never). Like aside from very distinctive guys like John Cleese or Benedict Cumberbatch my brain just glosses over them and latches onto the big coat. Though it means casting is rarely immersion breaking for me and I think Rory could make a good Rip.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: May 28, 2015, 05:12:43 AM

I don't watch doctor who...
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: May 28, 2015, 05:23:55 AM

I'm starting to worry I have some sort of facial recognition issue because I never recognise any of these actors I've seen in other shows (or almost never). Like aside from very distinctive guys like John Cleese or Benedict Cumberbatch my brain just glosses over them and latches onto the big coat. Though it means casting is rarely immersion breaking for me and I think Rory could make a good Rip.

You're like my wife.  She can't do it AT ALL.  It's hilarious watching her try too.

As to the casting itself, I like the actor.  I'm sure he'll bring the general level of the show up.  He did with Who.  Not that it was hard.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #44 on: May 28, 2015, 09:39:06 AM

That's not really fair. The level of acting was, I thought, always good when Rory was on there. It's always been the Moffat that's fucked the whole thing to hell.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: November 23, 2015, 08:16:38 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7LlmaFg0lw

First official LoT trailer.  This is looking really good.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: November 24, 2015, 03:21:39 AM

Yes it is. 
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: November 24, 2015, 04:24:10 AM

Because the movies can never do a proper a justice league, here a justice league enjoy.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #48 on: November 24, 2015, 09:27:44 AM

Welp, I'm erect.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: November 24, 2015, 09:29:05 AM

Looks cool as fuck but isn't two hawk people a bit redundant?

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #50 on: November 24, 2015, 09:30:52 AM

You shut your dirty whore mouth.

kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: November 24, 2015, 11:35:30 AM

Looks cool as fuck but isn't two hawk people a bit redundant?

Two hawk people are better than one! Just kidding although from what I remember in the comics you almost never got just one of them they were almost always a package deal.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: November 27, 2015, 08:14:45 AM

Current rumors have Constantine swapping into the cast for the 2017 Season 2.  Take it for what you will.... I hope it is true.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/11/26/constantine-to-join-dcs-legends-of-tomorrow-in-2017-as-they-switch-cast-with-each-season/

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: January 21, 2016, 02:49:35 PM

This starts tonight if anyone forgot.   awesome, for real
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: January 21, 2016, 06:14:55 PM

I didn't know how much I wanted this until now.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #55 on: January 22, 2016, 07:06:08 AM

I didn't out right hate it?

The following is a recap of the last fight of the episode if you have not watched it:

I knew it was going to be silly and campy, but man. I think its the fight scenes that are going to drive me nuts. The bar fight with Canary was fine, but that final "boss" fight, ugh. Uh oh, a guy with guns is shooting at our ship! Hawkgirl fies in, knocks him down, then wrestles with him for his gun - so far so good. The Hawkdouche flies in and saves her and... they both fly away so he can pick his gun back up. Then we have a bunch of running and ducking, followed by the two heavy hitters flying out to save the day... by doing a neat little coordinated strafing run ten feet to either side of the stationary bad guy who's about 30 feet from them  swamp poop

Then the old guy gets shot by a random bullet because of timey whimey, and they all jump in the ship and hightail it out of there because they apparently are heavily overmatched by dude with a gun who sounds like Optimus Prime.
A dude they knocked on his ass three separate times during the fight, but it apparently never ocured to them to actually just dogpile him.

I particularly loved pyro guy's gun that shoots fire about six feet out and knocks people over without burning them.

All that said, it was somewhat fun and I liked the vast majority of the cast.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #56 on: January 22, 2016, 07:13:19 AM

The Hawkdouche flies in and saves her and... they both fly away so he can pick his gun back up. Then we have a bunch of running and ducking, followed by the two heavy hitters flying out to save the day... by doing a neat little coordinated strafing run ten feet to either side of the stationary bad guy who's about 30 feet from them  swamp poop

Then the old guy gets shot by a random bullet because of timey whimey, and they all jump in the ship and hightail it out of there because they apparently are heavily overmatched by dude with a gun who sounds like Optimus Prime.
A dude they knocked on his ass three separate times during the fight, but it apparently never ocured to them to actually just dogpile him.

There has to be SOME reason they died 216 times before.* I can't place my finger on it, though...  awesome, for real

*I didn't watch it myself, but walked-in on my wife watching it when Hawkgirl was freaking-out about dying so many times to Savage in the past.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #57 on: January 22, 2016, 07:19:54 AM

I watched it because I like Family Feud and that came on before this. I'm not a comic book person and know nothing about these things.

I thought it was fun in the old Batman show sort of way. Everyone is overacting like crazy, and it includes two of my favorite character actors from Prison Break as bad guys. Plus hot blonde is hot.

I like Time Travel shit which is the main reason I stuck with this. Vandal Savage is a pretty douchey villain but oh well. British Timelord will give him the business I'm sure after many setbacks.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: January 22, 2016, 11:11:27 AM

This is basically the suicide squad minus the grim dark implications. In fact it kinda reads like one of the better teen titans runs where they go on missions and half the teen cast dies horrible or get maimed. Will they go in that direction? No, but it could and it'd raise the show to the flash and arrow levels of enjoyment. I like the plot. I hate, oh god I hate the cheese. They need to tighten up this script before this becomes legends of unwatchability. And yeah fight scenes kinda lame. Like they just watched young justice and figure they replicate or they recently found an episode of the mighty morphan power rangers.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: January 22, 2016, 02:11:36 PM

It isn't high drama.  It is just intended to be stupid fun.  It hit the mark.  I enjoyed watching it, but have no concerns whether it makes a lot of sense.

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: January 22, 2016, 03:48:18 PM

I think they're focusing more on the character interactions than plot. And I'm actually okay with that.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: January 22, 2016, 03:53:09 PM

I thought it was fine so far.  I really liked the bar scene. 

Also I fucking love the Prison Break guys... Dominic Purcell is awesome as Heat Wave.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: January 22, 2016, 06:05:40 PM

The bar fight was the best scene.

It was kind of a mess but appealing in an odd way despite it.

But the this-makes-no-fucking-sense is going to catch up with it pretty quickly.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #63 on: January 22, 2016, 06:26:39 PM

Prison break dudes and hot blonde can save this with more screen time

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: January 22, 2016, 07:18:46 PM

Prison break dudes and hot blonde can save this with more screen time

Hopefully; because the rest was absolute shit. Way, way too much cheese (and poor delivery of the cheese, especially from Hawk-man). Also, really not liking the Firestorm duo. The professor isn't too bad, but, ugh.. I disliked Ronnie and he was miles better than the new kid. Rip Hunter has been a miss for me, as well.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: January 23, 2016, 01:01:07 PM

They're either going to have to unload a bunch of absolute nonsense timey-wimey rules about why they don't just go back to ancient Egypt and kill Vandal Savage before he gets started or change up the premise really fast.

Edit:also, Professor Stein having knock-out drugs right by his brandy is a bit ACK!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 01:28:57 PM by Khaldun »
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: January 23, 2016, 01:29:45 PM

They seem to be headed to the idea that there has to be a balance when you change history - change it too much, and you upset everything in the future.  They'll spend time fixing the messes they made - likely the next stop will be after 1970 and the world will be different because of the bar fight.

Of course, that is idiocy.  The smallest of changes in the past would have a cascading impact all over the future.  The slightest of changes in positioning would change how a conception plays out, a person looking across a room a second later would change whether they meet their future spouse, etc...  Any change to the past should have big changes in futures that are years down the road...

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: January 23, 2016, 02:23:59 PM

They have a multiverse. Technically every change they make in the past could create a parallel universe. Though I think there multiverse is more based on number of possible potential universes as oppose to actual diverging decisions. More like "what ifs" than "if you did this instead"
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: January 23, 2016, 03:28:29 PM

They seem to be headed to the idea that there has to be a balance when you change history - change it too much, and you upset everything in the future.  They'll spend time fixing the messes they made - likely the next stop will be after 1970 and the world will be different because of the bar fight.

Of course, that is idiocy.  The smallest of changes in the past would have a cascading impact all over the future.  The slightest of changes in positioning would change how a conception plays out, a person looking across a room a second later would change whether they meet their future spouse, etc...  Any change to the past should have big changes in futures that are years down the road...

I think it's pretty clear they've abandoned the extreme butterfly effect vision of the timeline when it's clear Rip is selecting people based on their minimal importance to the timeline (and Chronos is happy to waste random dudes who aren't important). No it doesn't really make sense, it's a comic book version of history, if you're not in a major title then you probably don't matter. Thus I think they'll less be fixing their messes and more dealing with the timeline trying to undo what they've done in order to fix itself. Suddenly Vandal Savage will have dealt with his defeat in the former Soviet Republics by getting a massive break in East Africa a year later or something.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: January 23, 2016, 04:45:14 PM

Rip could be lying--a sort of double lie, whatever will motivate or not--you are legends or you are irrelevant.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Legends of Tomorrow  
Jump to: