Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:34:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Legends of Tomorrow 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Legends of Tomorrow  (Read 44440 times)
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

on: May 07, 2015, 02:55:18 PM

Legends of Tomorrow is going to series.  It is the Arrow/Flashverse show with the 'other' heroes assembled as a team. http://tvline.com/2015/05/07/the-cw-new-series-fall-2015-dcs-legends-of-tomorrow/#more-611032

I like some of the cast, but it screams of C list characters ... they'd have been better off with 1 or 2 real JL types in there...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 10:15:53 AM by jgsugden »

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 03:06:58 PM

So Firestorm, Black Canary, Rip Hunter, Atom, Captain Cold and Heat Wave. In DC terms, I don't think any of those are necessarily C listers. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt based on how much I like Flash and Arrow.

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 03:51:39 PM

How is Black Canary still alive in that universe. I thought for sure that she took a chest full of arrows.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 03:59:10 PM

Rip Hunter is a time traveller. I'm guessing he pulled her out of the time stream prior to her death.  awesome, for real

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 04:12:25 PM

Either that or there will be a reveal in the finale of Arrow...

... or she might not be the Canary in the show.  I have not seen her character confirmed, yet - in fact, IGN says her role is a secret.  I could see her being a character that is in make-up and there being no connection.  Or another character that decides to look like her because she died a hero... Miss Martian?

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 06:34:32 PM

The C list heroes works better. Less fanboys frothing over power levels and what those characters do in the comics. The Flash gets away with a lot because

A. The Flash isn't Superman and no one thinks a flash movie would work (nor is anyone asking for one)
B. Not as popular as Superman or WonderWoman so he is effectively a B-lister despite being literally the strongest member of the Justice League
C. Not even hardcore neckbeared comic book fans wants to see a Flash with a 100% access to his powers 100% of the time. No one is crying on the forums about how he just doesn't just vibrate through everything or travel through time every time he fucked up.

Not having to worry about de-powering the heroes or messing with sacred lore has its own appeal and gives them room to tell there own stories.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 06:40:30 PM

The C list heroes works better. Less fanboys frothing over power levels and what those characters do in the comics. The Flash gets away with a lot because

A. The Flash isn't Superman and no one thinks a flash movie would work (nor is anyone asking for one)
B. Not as popular as Superman or WonderWoman so he is effectively a B-lister despite being literally the strongest member of the Justice League
C. Not even hardcore neckbeared comic book fans wants to see a Flash with a 100% access to his powers 100% of the time. No one is crying on the forums about how he just doesn't just vibrate through everything or travel through time every time he fucked up.

Not having to worry about de-powering the heroes or messing with sacred lore has its own appeal and gives them room to tell there own stories.

Pretty sure almost anyone that is into the Flash/Arrow stuff would love to see movies for those characters.  Just not by whoever is in charge of the current DC movie lineup, which DC isn't even sure who it is.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 06:41:38 PM

Thats because CW made them good. Minus CW and no one even talked about a Flash movie let alone Green Arrow. Hell we'll never get a Hawkeye movie from Marvel.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 07:11:26 PM

Thats because CW made them good. Minus CW and no one even talked about a Flash movie let alone Green Arrow. Hell we'll never get a Hawkeye movie from Marvel.

I dunno I was pumped at the thought of SuperMax that was in production years ago, and that was to be a Green Arrow movie.  I've always been a Flash fan, and would be happy to have seen a Flash movie made by capable people.

As for Hawkeye he's had what?  35 solo comics over the years?  Unless they did something based off the newest run, he's really thin on stuff outside of the Avengers.  He doesn't really have his own iconic personal villain.  At least not one I can name.  I think Renner could totally pull off a solo movie, but I don't know what kind of story they could give him that would fit into the current story line.  That is one thing I am skeptical about with Ant-Man, although Rudd has been confirmed for Cap 3.

kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 08, 2015, 08:36:13 AM

How is Black Canary still alive in that universe. I thought for sure that she took a chest full of arrows.

They have already shown lazarus pits exist in the arrow verse so death is not a career ending injury.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #10 on: May 14, 2015, 12:44:51 PM

First trailer.

FUCK YES.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: May 14, 2015, 12:52:27 PM

Yeah that looks amazing.  Now CW just needs to nab Constantine and rename it Hellblazer. 
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 14, 2015, 12:56:52 PM

Vandal Savage! Good move!
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: May 14, 2015, 02:27:19 PM

Interesting... I'd love to see them grab Constantine too, but if they keep it up they'll end up with a schedule that is entirely DC.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: May 14, 2015, 02:32:01 PM

They can do one show a night.   awesome, for real
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 14, 2015, 02:55:57 PM

CW just went all in on super heroes.  Remember the days of being cautious and calling the green arrow the vigilante? Well now we have time traveling team of superheroes and villains(One of which back from the dead) fighting an immortal caveman while traveling to different eras in history.   The show may be great but CW went full retard with the comic bookiness and I can't wait to see how it turns out.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: May 14, 2015, 02:58:19 PM

This is a midseason show apparently and only runs 13 episodes. 
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: May 14, 2015, 03:00:24 PM

That's kind of perfect.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: May 14, 2015, 03:13:43 PM

That's kind of perfect.

Yeah, i was wondering how they were going to have flash and arrow in two shows.  This makes perfect sense.

I am the .00000001428%
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: May 14, 2015, 03:26:04 PM

Flash and Arrow are episode 1 guest stars.... and I'm betting that is Flash and Green Arrow.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #20 on: May 15, 2015, 09:28:10 AM

The more shows I see doing it, the more I like the idea of 13 episode seasons. As we saw with Arrow this season, 22/23 episode seasons can REALLY stretch shows that try to rely heavily on week-to-week continuity. 13-episodes are just long enough to leave us wanting more at the end.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: May 15, 2015, 11:06:09 AM

I'm really not loving the lineup. 

Being honest here, how many people would have been far more interested if the lineup dropped a couple people and replaced them with Ted Kord's Blue Beetle and Booster Gold?

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: May 15, 2015, 02:17:48 PM

The more shows I see doing it, the more I like the idea of 13 episode seasons. As we saw with Arrow this season, 22/23 episode seasons can REALLY stretch shows that try to rely heavily on week-to-week continuity. 13-episodes are just long enough to leave us wanting more at the end.

Agreed.  Arrow really dragged for me, hard to keep going (still haven't seen the season ender).  But this, this looks pretty cool.  More Caity Lotz in skintight outfits?  Sign me the fuck up!  A bit puzzled why two members have fire powers, but overall I'm very pleased CW has gone 'all in' on superheroes.  May be great, may be a trainwreck, but I'm watching it.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: May 15, 2015, 02:49:00 PM

Firestorm should evolve into a lot more than just fire powers and flying...

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: May 15, 2015, 02:50:25 PM

Being honest here, how many people would have been far more interested if the lineup dropped a couple people and replaced them with Ted Kord's Blue Beetle and Booster Gold?

The ten people that know who those two are would be thrilled.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: May 15, 2015, 03:36:25 PM

Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle would be rad.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: May 15, 2015, 03:42:01 PM

The ten people that know who those two are would be thrilled.

That's pretty much my thought as well, I know who those two are and I still don't care if they are used or not.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: May 15, 2015, 03:52:58 PM

You'd be right ... except for little things like lists where comic fans vote for their favorite DC characters and those two were higher than everyone in the show... (12 and 15 vs. 18 (Black Canary counts), 21 (I'll give you credit for Hawkman when we say Hawkwoman), 36 (Firestorm), and unranked (Atom), unranked (Rip Hunter), unranked (Cold) and unranked (Heat))

[url][/http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2007/10/01/top-100-dc-and-marvel-characters-master-list/url]

And before you say the usual junk about non-comic fans... the only people that know any of these characters are comic fans. 

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: May 15, 2015, 05:26:55 PM

Which is exactly why it doesn't matter.  Comic books fans are not going to say "no blue beetle? fuck this show that is essentially a wet dream of mine since I was a teen" and non comic book fans could care less and watch for fun no matter what.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #29 on: May 15, 2015, 05:53:28 PM

What he said.

Although, I wouldn't rule out Blue Beetle in the future, as I think we've seen Kord Industries easter eggs at some point in either Arrow or Flash. And seeing as how Booster Gold is from the future, I could totally see him appearing on either this or Flash.

Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: May 15, 2015, 06:49:35 PM

Doesn't the CW version of Atom basically cover what Blue Beetle would be, though?  Super rich industry dude with all sorts of technogadgets.  Maybe Kord could be used to set up the Jaime Reyes version, like they did in Young Justice.  As to Booster Gold, his schtick is sorta covered too, and I'm not sure adding him in would accomplish much. 

Unless they bring in new characters for temporary arcs, I don't see the lineup changing much on the show.  And with a 13 episode season, I don't know that they'll have a whole lot of room to accomplish that if they wanted to. 
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: May 15, 2015, 06:58:23 PM

Doesn't the CW version of Atom basically cover what Blue Beetle would be, though?  Super rich industry dude with all sorts of technogadgets.  Maybe Kord could be used to set up the Jaime Reyes version, like they did in Young Justice.  As to Booster Gold, his schtick is sorta covered too, and I'm not sure adding him in would accomplish much. 

Unless they bring in new characters for temporary arcs, I don't see the lineup changing much on the show.  And with a 13 episode season, I don't know that they'll have a whole lot of room to accomplish that if they wanted to. 

Atom was supposed to be Blue Beetle but DC told them no.  That's why there were all those Blue Beetle easter eggs in the first season.
Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: May 15, 2015, 11:13:38 PM

Oh.  Huh.  Seems weird they'd say no to the shows using Blue Beetle of all characters. 
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: May 15, 2015, 11:38:55 PM

Oh.  Huh.  Seems weird they'd say no to the shows using Blue Beetle of all characters. 

There was supposedly a Blue Beetle show in the works that just never came about.  I even think it was TNT and then they went the Titans route maybe.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: May 16, 2015, 03:00:44 PM

Yea, there was test footage around the internet for awhile. Was going to be the Jaime Reyes one with the scarab.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Legends of Tomorrow  
Jump to: