Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:14:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Is there any MMO worth starting? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is there any MMO worth starting?  (Read 67657 times)
Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: July 17, 2015, 02:31:03 PM

I still say MMO's are dead.  The future is console shooters that will probably be playable on the PC but not much fun.  Its hard to believe that not only was there never a WoW killer, but WoW actually killed the genre.  The King is dead, long live the King!
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: July 17, 2015, 07:05:08 PM

The wow killer is already called league of legends.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: July 17, 2015, 08:30:22 PM

It even has Ghostcrawler!  awesome, for real

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: July 18, 2015, 12:33:28 AM

I'm also a fan of TSW but back when I finished it it was not a user friendly experience, you had to do a lot of research and I imagine most of the best sites for that are long dead by now.

Having just started TSW I can confirm that at least 2 sites the TSW wiki and a site called unfair are not dead and are very helpful in research missions. The TSW wiki is strangely not complete in some areas though, like specific areas and monsters and so on. Its good enough to help with missions though.

Hic sunt dracones.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: July 18, 2015, 02:57:10 AM

Uninstalled TESO so I now have no MMO to play.  Which is a good thing because it's summer and I need to be outside more.  Plus look for work.  So, until SWTOR drops their xpac, I'd say there is no MMO worth starting.
grunk
Terracotta Army

This poster is a gibbering retard. Also, he used to post from a rehab clinic.

Reply #40 on: December 20, 2016, 08:02:00 AM

I recommend DarkFall Rise of Agon and Pantheon (in the future).  DfRoA is in beta and the last wipe should be end of next month.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #41 on: December 20, 2016, 08:54:21 AM

Oh, I don't know.  Dark and Light seems to be coming back.  WHAAA???

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #42 on: December 20, 2016, 10:37:28 PM

I tried giving WoW another go recently after an eight-year absence, and I couldn't even play two days. Cancelled.

I own TSW but my Aussie guilt has left it. They recently did a hardcore burst of an official EQ1 progression server for a few months, which I didn't join due to lack of time, but I occasionally play Project 1999 (high population EQ1 emu that stops at Velious era). If P1999 did a full restart or a progression server I'd ride that for a bit, but FFXIV will probably be the next thing I'll try and fail at. At the moment I'm dicking around in The Witcher 3 instead. It does feel like MMOs are dead, or my will to devote enough time to them is dead.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #43 on: December 21, 2016, 07:50:11 AM

They are dead. WOW did a pretty successful job at just goddamn killing the whole thing. None of them ever got past the hurdle of making them sticky without a PVE content grind that couldn't make enough content to keep the hardcore sustained and subscribed without also pissing off the casuals. PVP wasn't ever sticky enough in enough numbers to make it worthwhile, and MOBA's and the like seem to have taken most of those players.

The costs are just too high and there's too much other gaming goodness for people to subscribe to this shit, and F2P doesn't seem to be the money maker that is needed to support a giant WoW-like MMO budget.

grunk
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: December 21, 2016, 08:18:04 AM

idk if the devs have no clue or the gamers but id say both. the problem is simple, the games are too fucken easy, ever since ffxi, these games require no player interaction, can reach level cap in a week and so what used to be a huge part of a mmos overall content, the journey has now been discarded for reasons i cannot understand. 

The fact that aside for P1999 and maybe some prog servers, there isnt a real mmorpg out there. MMORPGs are meant to be HARDcore not solo half assed quest grind dumpster fires we have now.  I mean shit, i would dare say the PVP crowd has won the long age fight, with games like DarkFall and EvE requiring actual player interaction, i would say those games have more REAL mmorpg PVE content than the WoW and such. 

I mean, a game like Path Of Exile is actually more of an MMORPG than these crap games we see now. People want to see the genre come back? support games like Pantheon, Darkfall and maybe, just maybe there will be a niche for what used to be the mmorpg genre.

is the genre dead? Almost, Pantheon is the only game i see that could bring it back... and thats really sad that i have to put the fate of a genre in the hands of crack whore.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #45 on: December 21, 2016, 08:34:22 AM

I need to find some SunnyD bottles.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #46 on: December 21, 2016, 09:09:42 AM

Wait... I have finally figured it out. grunk is Brad McQuaid when he's missing his oxy.

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: December 21, 2016, 09:24:47 AM

Wait... I have finally figured it out. grunk is Brad McQuaid when he's missing his oxy.

These read more like he's strung out on psilocybin. Unless that's the same thing  why so serious?

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #48 on: December 21, 2016, 09:31:08 AM

Oxy is an opiate. Psilocybin is a hallucinogenic. I think enough oxy can give you some hallucinations (or withdrawal can).

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #49 on: December 21, 2016, 12:47:42 PM

Oxy is an opiate. Psilocybin is a hallucinogenic. I think enough oxy can give you some hallucinations (or withdrawal can).

Enough of anything can give you hallucinations.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

And yes, enough Oxy can create visual and aural hallucinations.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
PalmTrees
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: December 21, 2016, 04:05:14 PM

I don't entirely disagree with Grunk. I'm playing Secret Word atm and really, it should have been a single player game. Pretty much every mmo I've played since EQ has been a mostly single player affair. Only in FF14 and Swotor did I do any grouping, and that was all grinding out endgame currency with silent, instant-disband-at-the-end pugs from the group finder. I've followed Pantheon a little and am guarding against nostalgia fueled hopefulness given who's making the game, but I like the idea of it. I also hope lighting strikes one of those CoH replacer dream projects and I can super-jump again.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: December 21, 2016, 05:33:33 PM

They are dead. WOW did a pretty successful job at just goddamn killing the whole thing. None of them ever got past the hurdle of making them sticky without a PVE content grind that couldn't make enough content to keep the hardcore sustained and subscribed without also pissing off the casuals. PVP wasn't ever sticky enough in enough numbers to make it worthwhile, and MOBA's and the like seem to have taken most of those players.

WoW did kill annihilate the whole genre, didn't it.

And I guess PvP players did gravitate to the MOBA scene. (Though I'd much rather play a MMO than a MOBA that seems more in flavor of RTS than MMO).

Eve, Ark, ESO seem to have niche following. I haven't tried any of those.

Still waiting for a Wild West themed MMO.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Torinak
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: December 21, 2016, 08:18:10 PM

MMO content is expensive to produce, and the worst part of MMOs is the other people.

If content can be produced cheaply enough (leverage the player base? lean on procedurally-generated stuff?), an MMO may be somewhat viable. Otherwise, it's too expensive to support more than a few developers without having a massive subscriber base.

If you invest in cheap content production, you may be better off churning out thinly-reskinned versions of your game to try to capture different audiences for a few months until they get bored and leave. I think there are a few studios doing just this, based on what shows up on Steam every so often.

Asheron's Call is the best example I know of where they invested in cheap content production. They sure churned out new dungeons and quests on a regular basis, and had so many world-changing events it's still impressive. It had a good run.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: December 21, 2016, 09:45:38 PM

I don't entirely disagree with Grunk. I'm playing Secret Word atm and really, it should have been a single player game. Pretty much every mmo I've played since EQ has been a mostly single player affair. Only in FF14 and Swotor did I do any grouping, and that was all grinding out endgame currency with silent, instant-disband-at-the-end pugs from the group finder. I've followed Pantheon a little and am guarding against nostalgia fueled hopefulness given who's making the game, but I like the idea of it. I also hope lighting strikes one of those CoH replacer dream projects and I can super-jump again.

The Secret World originally was far more group oriented, but like all MMO's rapidly bowed to player pressure to ease the progression. It's not just that everybody wants it easy, it's that it is danged hard to progress groups of friends evenly, so you might as well make it quick for everybody to get to the "end game" where they can all raid if they want.

I really don't have any answers, except to get in on MMO's early, and not expect too much. They aren't virtual worlds, they are just virtual passtimes, a place to be part of a video game fantasy while not feeling *totally* separated from the rest of humanity.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 12:01:56 AM by Mandella »
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: December 21, 2016, 11:26:27 PM

I have always treated MMO's as nothing but a fancy chat interface.  It has served me well. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: December 22, 2016, 04:07:31 AM

You could have a big open world when the content was relatively cheap (Like EQ or Eve), expectations were lower and being online was enough of a thrill in itself. WoW just pushed the bar up to the point where the chance of failing in comparison and the cost of entry just became too high. There's still a lot of Asian MMO's but I think some of that is about the social aspects of playing a shared game in a shared space (e.g. a PC bang) and wanting to strut your virtual achievements. I was reading a Chinese manga (Master of Skill) about this man forced out of his pro PvP team who gets a job at a PC cafe so he can awe everyone online and in real life with his unearthly skill (/laugh) when a new server opens (and smoke constantly while playing). It's hard to imagine any western MMO capturing that sort of ego drive on a large scale.

Or in the case of Japan loving the game lore so much they want to live in that world perhaps?

But for a lot less effort than an MMO you can pop out an Overwatch or a Destiny and make some good money with less downside risk if it goes all Division on you.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
grunk
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: December 22, 2016, 07:40:57 AM

The core of the mmorpg is that it is a social experience.  I dont think non PVE raid content is at all "more" expensive to make if you make a game that relies heavily on the journey; for example ffxi, unless you had a static it would have taken around six months to reach cap pre-zilrat and that bought square enough time to get zilrat and sky out.  

We need to bring this shit back, back to when a six player party was required, when you had to GASP go explore and find camps and compete against other groups for spawns... people dont realize, this shit was FUN.  What happen? simple, all of those assholes that stood around at highpass and Jueno hating on my sick gear and skill level, WoW gave it to them for free.  

We are dealing with grown children and guess what, thanks to the millennials this shit will only get worse. Fuck those people, Fuck them in their lame gaping cleft assholes.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #57 on: December 22, 2016, 07:51:26 AM

Ahhhh, that good old grunkosity. It's like crunching up pure blue and snorting it, while shooting the same thing directly into your dick.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: December 22, 2016, 08:27:43 AM

I really don't have any answers, except to get in on MMO's early, and not expect too much. They aren't virtual worlds, they are just virtual passtimes, a place to be part of a video game fantasy while not feeling *totally* separated from the rest of humanity.

The answer is to let people group and progress together no matter what level any of them or the content is.

I am the .00000001428%
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #59 on: December 22, 2016, 09:14:22 AM

Sounds like the answer is to not have levels.

Welcome to my brain in 1999!

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: December 22, 2016, 09:43:37 AM

Or just allow people to scale up or down at will, like City of Heroes.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #61 on: December 22, 2016, 10:21:59 AM

I suppose that removes the level-difference issue via addition instead of subtraction.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: December 22, 2016, 10:30:28 AM

What can I say, I love me some Ding, Gratz.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: December 22, 2016, 11:57:46 AM

Or just allow people to scale up or down at will, like City of Heroes.

This.  I love games that are inclusive rather than exclusive.  GW2 also did a great job at allowing people to work together without anyone feeling cheated. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: December 22, 2016, 12:35:28 PM

GW2 was also clever in that it kept those extremely expensive pieces of content, fully fleshed out and populated zone maps, viable even into end-game. There might still be reasons to visit them and you could create events to renew interest and extend the depth of the event.

Though they then squandered that opportunity thinking that what people really wanted was a bad story and one off events because ...  they're thick I guess, and much better at art and environment than they are at game design.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #65 on: December 22, 2016, 12:53:17 PM

UO. Still the best.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #66 on: December 22, 2016, 02:44:12 PM

UO. Still the best.

Not for the last 18 years.  awesome, for real

-Rasix
Severian
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: March 04, 2017, 05:15:23 PM

I didn't see a thread for it, so

Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues (Richard Garriott) is now offering a free trial for one week starting yesterday.

Free Trial users have the following game play differences:
  • Free Trial Current Time Period: March 3 – March 9, 2017
  • The term (Visitor) is appended to their character name
  • Cannot give items to other players via Trade
  • Cannot purchase nor sell items via Player Vendors nor Public Vendors
  • No ownership of property nor use of lot signs
  • Cannot interact with public chests.
  • Cannot move/interact with items on a plot even if they are given permissions.
  • Cannot flag as Open PVP
  • Cannot gain nor do they create any ransom items when they kill or are killed in PVP (in Open PVP zones)
  • Character data may be deleted after Free Trial period is over if character is not upgraded to a paid account
  • Items purchased in the Add On Store cannot be accessed after the Free Trial Period is over unless you purchase Game Access
  • Cannot play in Offline Mode

It says 22GB hard drive space required, and you need to open specific ports to launch it.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: March 04, 2017, 06:07:02 PM

Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues (Richard Garriott) is now offering a free trial for one week starting yesterday.

WARNING: THIS GAME IS EARLY ACCESS PRE-ALPHA. PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE IT UNLESS YOU WANT TO ACTIVELY SUPPORT DEVELOPMENT OF THE GAME VIA CROWD FUNDING, BUG TESTING, AND FEEDBACK. PLEASE ONLY PURCHASE IF YOU ARE ALSO PREPARED TO HANDLE SERIOUS ISSUES AND INCOMPLETE CONTENT. PLEASE READ THE NEGATIVE REVIEWS PRIOR TO PURCHASE, MANY OF WHICH WARN YOU OF THE CURRENT UNFINISHED STATE OF THE GAME.

That's... kind of weird?  Strange marketing ploy, seems to me.  "Come one come all, to see the unfinished, pre-alpha build which sucks and you should only buy if you want to seriously get in to bug hunting!  Marvel, as your first impressions of a game are completely wasted on an unfinished product that you don't even have to pay to be disappointed by!   Gaze in wonder, as future customers are turned away by an unfinished build and we gain tons of negative word of mouth for no real benefit!"

I mean, am I (and the store page) wrong?  Is this going to hook a lot of people?  Or what is the point of doing something like this while the game is so early in development?  Has anyone here played it to know if it's worth checking out?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #69 on: March 04, 2017, 11:03:38 PM

I think you are correct. It's bad marketing. Why would you free trial an early alpha early access game? That's just asking for people to never come back.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Is there any MMO worth starting?  
Jump to: