Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:25:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Suicide Squad 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Suicide Squad  (Read 81527 times)
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #315 on: August 08, 2016, 10:06:19 AM

$135 Million domestic debut. Smashed August records. Shows how much bad reviews really matter.

Or how meager the slate of movie releases has been.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #316 on: August 08, 2016, 10:20:10 AM

Wow, this thing made more in its opening weekend than Ghostbusters will make in its entire theatrical run.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #317 on: August 08, 2016, 11:17:34 AM

Your options this week were SS, Jason Bourne, Nine Lives and other things that have been out for a while. SS was going to do well, but it did better than just that.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #318 on: August 08, 2016, 11:47:47 AM

There was a built in audience of people that really wanted to like this movie.  They went weekend one.  I have a feeling this will have a huge drop off and then be seen as a disappointment.

I won't be seeing it anytime soon.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #319 on: August 08, 2016, 12:19:22 PM

Yeah, are we forgetting that Batman Vs. Superman did $170 million it's opening weekend?  It subsequently fell off a cliff.

Not saying this one wont have more legs, but based on reviews, I have a feeling it will follow the same trajectory.  Reviews and word of mouth do matter, and that's how marvel makes a billion dollars on a film, instead of a few hundred million in two weeks then nothing.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #320 on: August 08, 2016, 03:49:28 PM

It did make more money in one weekend than ghostbusters made in four, karmic boners for all.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #321 on: August 08, 2016, 03:58:56 PM

Something something misogyny something something.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #322 on: August 08, 2016, 07:19:54 PM

Harley Quinn is a woman.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #323 on: August 08, 2016, 09:04:39 PM

Doctor strange in a month!!!

schild
Administrator

Reply #324 on: August 08, 2016, 09:34:26 PM

This movie made so much fucking money that DC and Co will learn nothing.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #325 on: August 08, 2016, 10:35:14 PM

Having seen neither up to this point, the difference between SS and BvS is that I really, really want to see Margot Robbie playing HQ and wearing those outfits.  Which obviously also means that I support women in strong roles.  They shoulda put her in that Ghostbusters movie, too.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #326 on: August 09, 2016, 07:32:12 AM

Wow, this thing made more in its opening weekend than Ghostbusters will make in its entire theatrical run.

One had actual stars. One didn't.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #327 on: August 09, 2016, 09:24:34 AM

I dunno, Will Smith was SS's biggest star that I can think of and he's kinda a has-been at this point.  What was the last thing he was in that was any good?  I Am Legend?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #328 on: August 09, 2016, 10:45:56 AM

I dunno, Will Smith was SS's biggest star that I can think of and he's kinda a has-been at this point.  What was the last thing he was in that was any good?  I Am Legend?

It had more names than that though. It had Will Smith, Margot Robbie, and Jared Leto. I don't really care about the screen time because those people were top billed. Who did Ghostbusters have? Melissa McCarthy, anddddddd uh, nobody. And even McCarthy is a stretch as a "star" in the industry since the biggest box office draw she's involved with was Bridesmaids at around $290M.

Meanwhile Men in Black 3 grossed more at the box office than her last 3 movies combined. Will may not draw like he used to, but he's still bigger than most stars in an action type movie, and people go to see him.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #329 on: August 09, 2016, 12:19:25 PM

I didn't know who Margot Robbie was before I heard that she was the one playing Harley Quinn, and I only know Jared Leto from American Psycho (which was a long ass time ago) and Mr Nobody (which was a flop that I enjoyed on Netflix after it unceremoniously left theaters).  I think even being in a bit role, Chris Hemsworth on his own is a bigger box office draw than the entire SS cast.

schild
Administrator

Reply #330 on: August 09, 2016, 12:38:57 PM

I dunno, Will Smith was SS's biggest star that I can think of and he's kinda a has-been at this point.  What was the last thing he was in that was any good?  I Am Legend?

Will Smith will literally never be a has-been. The dude gets people in seats. He was one of the highest paid actors, if not the highest, at one point.

That said, it not only had real stars (Leto and Smith, Robbie is a hot nobody), it had real characters. No one wanted to see shitty Ghostbusters. Except shitty people.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #331 on: August 09, 2016, 02:00:08 PM

Men In Black

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #332 on: August 09, 2016, 02:27:53 PM

No one wanted to see shitty Ghostbusters. Except shitty people.

That's more what I was getting at.   awesome, for real

Until I looked up the box office numbers (because I was curious how bad SS was flopping), I assumed based on media coverage that it was a complete failure, since I've been seeing articles about how GB16 was a triumph over angry man-children and really its box office numbers are very good, based on it barely breaking even on production costs.  

Then after seeing the same people writing about how SS is a disappointing flop, and looking up the numbers to compare it to the triumph that is GB16...   why so serious?

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #333 on: August 09, 2016, 04:30:22 PM

No one wanted to see shitty Ghostbusters. Except shitty people.

That's more what I was getting at.   awesome, for real

Until I looked up the box office numbers (because I was curious how bad SS was flopping), I assumed based on media coverage that it was a complete failure, since I've been seeing articles about how GB16 was a triumph over angry man-children and really its box office numbers are very good, based on it barely breaking even on production costs.  

Then after seeing the same people writing about how SS is a disappointing flop, and looking up the numbers to compare it to the triumph that is GB16...   why so serious?

SS squad had a lot going into it.  Good trailers, high hopes from DC fans that it couldn't be as bad as BVS, original enough property to be interesting but with a DC brand to be familiar. Couple big names, A joker. Ghostbusters had name recognition but it also burned a lot of goodwill with the people that cared about the name.  Also as always Action > Comedy at least at the box office.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #334 on: August 09, 2016, 08:05:38 PM

SS squad had a lot going into it. 

I heard it bombed in Japan, but Germany thought it was a gas.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #335 on: August 09, 2016, 09:08:40 PM

One had actual stars. One didn't.

One was also an original movie, not an uninspired and unwanted reboot.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #336 on: August 09, 2016, 10:56:54 PM

By all reports, SS was worse than expected, GB was better than expected, and neither was very good. What more need be said?

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #337 on: August 09, 2016, 11:01:15 PM

By all reports, SS was worse than expected, GB was better than expected, and neither was very good. What more need be said?

I liked SS a lot more than I did GB.  It wasn't as good as most of the Marvel based movies but it was enjoyable and holy fuck did Margot Robbie nail Harley Quinn.  I hope we get a Harley spin off movie sometime soon.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #338 on: August 11, 2016, 06:31:30 AM

I didn't know who Margot Robbie was before I heard that she was the one playing Harley Quinn, and I only know Jared Leto from American Psycho (which was a long ass time ago) and Mr Nobody (which was a flop that I enjoyed on Netflix after it unceremoniously left theaters).  I think even being in a bit role, Chris Hemsworth on his own is a bigger box office draw than the entire SS cast.

Did you miss Wolf of Wall street? The film is somewhat insufferable, but Robbie is one of aspects that's hard to criticise on any level. Jared Leto also played the peroxide blonde guy in Fight Club, but since he spends most of the film with his face mashed up I could forgive anyone for forgetting that. He was also in Dallas Buyers Club, so it's not like he's not getting top roles, but I'd have to agree that he's probably not got as much broad draw as Chris Hemsworth.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Terracotta Army

Reply #339 on: August 11, 2016, 06:48:54 AM

Did you miss Wolf of Wall street? The film is somewhat insufferable, but Robbie is one of aspects that's hard to criticise on any level. Jared Leto also played the peroxide blonde guy in Fight Club, but since he spends most of the film with his face mashed up I could forgive anyone for forgetting that. He was also in Dallas Buyers Club, so it's not like he's not getting top roles, but I'd have to agree that he's probably not got as much broad draw as Chris Hemsworth.

He was amazing in Dallas Buyers Club though... And you have to figure, he spends more time with his band that acting too. However, he'll always be Jordan Catalano.  awesome, for real

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
BobtheSomething
Terracotta Army

Reply #340 on: August 11, 2016, 08:39:14 AM

Wait.  He was Jordan Catalano?

May have to see this movie now.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #341 on: August 11, 2016, 10:52:08 AM

So I watched Mr Nobody: Holy Fuck, what a confusing mess of a movie. I get that like Cloud Atlas, it is supposed to be, and it does a better job of putting it together in the end, but you have to accept having no clue WTF is going on for the first hour to get there.

But Leto certainly isn't the problem with it.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Terracotta Army

Reply #342 on: August 11, 2016, 12:33:47 PM

So I watched Mr Nobody: Holy Fuck, what a confusing mess of a movie. I get that like Cloud Atlas, it is supposed to be, and it does a better job of putting it together in the end, but you have to accept having no clue WTF is going on for the first hour to get there.

--Dave

That was my exact reaction when I watched it. Almost had me wondering why I watched it, just like Only God Forgives.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #343 on: August 11, 2016, 07:29:11 PM

I watched Focus just for Smith and Robbie.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #344 on: August 13, 2016, 09:41:08 PM

I guess this wasn't awful.  Just really stupid.

I liked the characters well enough.  But goddamn was the story stupid.
schild
Administrator

Reply #345 on: August 13, 2016, 09:55:16 PM

--Dave

That was my exact reaction when I watched it. Almost had me wondering why I watched it, just like Only God Forgives.

Ayyyyy someone else watched Only God Forgives.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #346 on: August 14, 2016, 05:26:53 AM

I watched it too. I actually liked it as well.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #347 on: August 16, 2016, 08:37:48 AM

Leto will always be the dude from Requiem for a Dream; for me.   Watching his gf go ass-to-ass before dumping him over bucks to pay for dope, just before getting his arm sawed off... has a special place in my heart.  Which probably partially explains why I liked this movie.  Definitely liked it more than BvS.

It's a chaotic love story, through and through.  Rife with the crazy that so often accompanies it.  The disjointed editing was suitably chaotic; so while some folk may have hated that aspect, I thought it played into the overarching idea of the thing.  Made me almost want to get back together with my ex.  Almost.

Smith and Robbie were obviously the stars for obvious reasons (plus they work amazingly together; a fact I'm sure Jada just loves).  I still say Robbie is the most talented young "Marilyn Monroe" type actress out there today.  That type of 'look' with that level of skill is extremely difficult to find out there.  She was the most perfect HQ they could of had.  If she could get an oscar nod for a supers flick, I'd say give it to her for this role (but it won't happen).

DCEU has this whole "magic is growing" shtick that I like.  It gives them at least something slightly more mystic, dark, and mysterious to play with.  They're not that good at it yet, but here's to hoping they'll get there.  They can't do Marvel's shtick even if they had the ability to.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #348 on: August 16, 2016, 10:55:02 PM

DCEU has this whole "magic is growing" shtick that I like.  It gives them at least something slightly more mystic, dark, and mysterious to play with.  They're not that good at it yet, but here's to hoping they'll get there.
Except that pretty much exactly the way Civil War handed BvS its ass over "how to do big important good guys fighting each other", I have a distinct feeling that in about a month,  Dr. Strange is going to hand the DCUs ass to it on a platter once again, this time in terms of "magic is growing", when the people who understand exactly how to make superhero movies fun throw out their tentpole entry into the mystic side of the marvel  universe.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #349 on: August 17, 2016, 01:10:21 PM

Except I'm not necessarily looking for "fun" in my dark, mystical supers flicks.  Leave that to Marvel, as you say.  DCEU needs to focus on the subtler, darker, crazier, aspects.  So basically Netflix Marvel.   Ohhhhh, I see.

Fuck, DC is doomed I guess.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Suicide Squad  
Jump to: