Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:46:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The X-Files (2016) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The X-Files (2016)  (Read 41238 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #70 on: July 21, 2015, 09:08:37 AM

I'm confused. Are you trying to argue that the last movie was anything but total shit? Or that the ending wasn't terrible?

schild
Administrator

Reply #71 on: July 21, 2015, 09:34:05 AM

No, I'm saying the last movie isn't at all indicative of what the new series should be considered. The last movie was just an X-files episode that could have been filler in any random season. There was nothing wrong with it, it was just one of those "barely an X-File" episodes and people wanted something more... grand.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: July 30, 2015, 09:24:36 AM

To be honest the best entertainment I got out of the post Second season X files (I think the rot started after the second season) was watching an episode with a Girl who was still a major fan of the show, and the Smoking man had just kidnapped Mulder who was in trouble for some reason. and she said "oh well at least he wont say something stupid like "I am your Father." And then 30 seconds later Smoking man turns to Mulder and says "of course I care. I am your Father." And she literally screamed "NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!"  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Hic sunt dracones.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #73 on: October 09, 2015, 11:56:08 AM

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #74 on: October 09, 2015, 12:49:51 PM

God damn it...  ACK!

I get that same sickly sweet feeling I get when I walk around my undergraduate campus these days. The fond memories come flooding back only to be met with the stark reality that everything is different - same streets and mostly same landmarks, but everything else is askew, just to make everything a bit uncomfortable and foreign.

Now I have to watch while I cry into my blanket wondering where the years have gone.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: October 09, 2015, 03:12:27 PM

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: October 16, 2015, 06:49:30 AM

Did this get posted yet?

Ask Yourself

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #77 on: January 24, 2016, 08:40:22 AM

PREMIERE TONIGHT !!!!
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: January 24, 2016, 08:51:09 AM

PREMIERE TONIGHT !!!!

I KNOW RIGHT. OH GOD MORE MULDER AND SCULLY.

beer geek.
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: January 24, 2016, 08:52:10 AM

Oh please be good so we can get more.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: January 24, 2016, 10:29:17 AM

Enjoy your optimism while you can...

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
schild
Administrator

Reply #81 on: January 24, 2016, 11:05:14 AM

100% chance of it being awesome. Not even remotely concerned.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #82 on: January 24, 2016, 12:17:10 PM

Enjoy your optimism while you can...

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: January 24, 2016, 07:29:49 PM

So hype.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #84 on: January 24, 2016, 08:09:25 PM

Interesting turn to the story, making it about more modern concerns than the old series. I'm enjoying it despite myself so far.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: January 24, 2016, 08:24:26 PM

YES!!!!!  X-Files re-opened!!
Loved it.  

edit: And oh god, Gillian looked good.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 08:28:48 PM by Ghambit »

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: January 24, 2016, 08:35:33 PM

Nice. I'm glad it looks like they are going to have some regular x-files cases and not just do a miniseries about the alien tech conspiracy thing.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: January 24, 2016, 08:48:21 PM

Nice. I'm glad it looks like they are going to have some regular x-files cases and not just do a miniseries about the alien tech conspiracy thing.

I don't think these will be "regular" x-files cases.  Every epi. will feed into the larger conspiracy, hopefully. I'd rather not the random weirdness like in the original series.  They have plenty of material the way they laid it out in the premiere, so why waste it on filler?

Also, on a personal note, I got kinda choked up watching this (unexpectedly).  When the original x-files was running, I was just a nerd (high-school then college) with dreams of building "spaceships" doing epic science, and finding the truth, etc.  After ST:TNG and so forth, there was the X-Files.  Most every other IP couldn't touch them.  Now?  I'm watching this reboot not far away from where the premiere was located (northwestern, NM) and working at LANL for the Space Division.  It's given me an odd full circle feeling.

I've already got watch parties in the works that I will hold in the Fuller Lodge (where Manhattan Project folk would gather and eat, etc.) next to Oppenheimer's house.  Maybe we'll get some old timers to speak.  Should be kinda creepy, but exhilarating at the same time.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 08:52:06 PM by Ghambit »

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #88 on: January 24, 2016, 10:42:41 PM

Nope, the next two are traditional standalone episodes.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: January 25, 2016, 07:08:36 AM

But, how do you know?  How do you really, really know?  awesome, for real

As a negative, the choice of digital HD over film, in this case, was a particularly bad one.  If any sci-fi TV series needed to be shot on film, it's the x-files.  Departing from that was a mistake.  It was like watching "As the World Turns," but aliens.

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: January 25, 2016, 08:48:00 AM

Pros:
Gillian Anderson, killing it as Agent Scully. This one thing might make it worth sticking around for the rest of the series.
Flying saucers!
Alien technology, in the hands of our evil government!
Abductions! Alien DNA! Memory wiping!
Walter Skinner  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Smoking man, smoking through a hole in his neck  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Cons:
Duchovny looked like he was asleep. This might be a consequence of trying to play a young man's game at age 55. Or maybe he's portraying Mulder as a complex soup of paranoia, exhaustion, depression, and world-weariness. In which case, bravo!
The conspiracy talk was un-subtle at best, and cringe-worthy at worst. I've watched episodes of the X-Files in which they did a much better job of selling this stuff. I wonder what ...
Written by: Chris Carter
... happened.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: January 25, 2016, 08:53:12 AM

Wife forces me to watch Aquarius because of Mulder.  He's like he's asleep in that too.  I think it's just what he does these days.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: January 25, 2016, 09:10:10 AM

The initial ratings are saying 13.5 million viewers. That sounds good to me.
schild
Administrator

Reply #93 on: January 25, 2016, 09:11:30 AM

So, I loved this.

I'm not sure why people are complaining about Mulder - he's exactly the same as before. I think there's some viewer memory games at play here.

It feels like a 6 episode pitch to turn it into an actual series again, which is interesting. Six episodes won't even scratch the surface.
schild
Administrator

Reply #94 on: January 25, 2016, 09:11:38 AM

Football damn near ruined it.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #95 on: January 25, 2016, 09:16:05 AM

It's a good start, but the question is now, "How many will come back at it's normal night/ time?"

Everyone who's interested watches a premiere. The following weeks are more critical.

I agree that Mulder is the same as ever. I wanted to slap him just as hard as before when he was going on about the Key to it all.

IMO The saddest part of this is we'll get no Lone Gunmen.

schild
Administrator

Reply #96 on: January 25, 2016, 09:18:53 AM

Huh? They're in it.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #97 on: January 25, 2016, 09:21:08 AM

I think in the intervening years I've lost my tolerance for stupid conspiracy bullshit because this was sooo bad. So bad.

My favorite part was the underlying idea that the American government was going to take over America. Which it, em, currently governs?

The only plausible thing in the entire show was that 'free energy' was being withheld for fossil fuel profiteering. No other reason was given to back up any of the nonsensical claims.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #98 on: January 25, 2016, 09:33:34 AM

Huh? They're in it.

How? They're dead. That whole virus trapping thing that killed them after their show ended.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #99 on: January 25, 2016, 09:36:51 AM

Death faked, and one of the actors confirmed that they are indeed in the revival series.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #100 on: January 25, 2016, 09:41:43 AM

Facepalm

Happy but this goes hand in hand with the "death is meaningless" nonsense from the SSq thread.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: January 25, 2016, 09:51:45 AM

I think in the intervening years I've lost my tolerance for stupid conspiracy bullshit because this was sooo bad. So bad.

My favorite part was the underlying idea that the American government was going to take over America. Which it, em, currently governs?

The only plausible thing in the entire show was that 'free energy' was being withheld for fossil fuel profiteering. No other reason was given to back up any of the nonsensical claims.

I got the impression that they established Tad as a whack job who happened to be right about this one particular thing. The conspiracy theory was over the top, because lots of it was just mashups with other stuff Tad was peddling.  I thought it was meant to undermine the credibility of the theory so we don't know what parts of it are real.  They've established there is a government agency of some kind that knows about and is developing alien technology. But we don't actually know why or what their end game is.

Also, yes, regarding football, what the hell.  The game was OVER by 10. They cut 20 minutes into the X-Files slot to air a fucking trophy ceremony?
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: January 25, 2016, 10:03:25 AM

That must be one hell of a faked death as their ghosts were appearing to Mulder in the final episodes of the last season.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? Yes I watched them. No you dont want to.

Fact is the Smoking man also was decorated with a Helicopter missile to the face in the final episode, so the fact that he is there alive and well is another no no (as well as the fact he was a long haired, half crazy, dying hippy living in a cave at the time as it was one of the few places safe from the Aliens). And Skully was a true believer in the fact that the Aliens were invading at the end of the Mayan Calander.

Wonder how that worked out.

So if you want continuity errors there are WAY lots of them aside from the fact that the boys are still alive.

Hic sunt dracones.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: January 25, 2016, 10:29:21 AM

Facepalm

Happy but this goes hand in hand with the "death is meaningless" nonsense from the SSq thread.

lol.  Thread synchronicity.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
schild
Administrator

Reply #104 on: January 25, 2016, 10:30:27 AM

You all have 3 options:

1: The last 3 seasons of X-Files never happened.
2: Fuck you, this is a mix tape.
3. Fuck you, you don't deserve more X-Files.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The X-Files (2016)  
Jump to: