Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:38:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Darkest Dungeon 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Darkest Dungeon  (Read 53624 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #70 on: January 27, 2016, 12:11:16 AM

I will be starting to play this tonight on my Surface book. Hope it likes my fingers doing all the work (that's what she said).

Let me know how that goes ;  this was my plan for train journey to Aberdeen today, but God took a dump on my plans.  I'd be interested in how playable it is on the Surface.

Both Hex and Darkest Dungeon were amazing on the book @ 3000x2000.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: January 27, 2016, 04:06:21 AM

I've played about a bit with this game and I really like it so far.  It's a lot more complex than it first appears, eh ?  My party were gibbering wrecks that ended up being only a danger to themselves about five minutes in.

Awesome.  With all the depression and murder and psychosis it's like Glasgow Simulator 3000.

Annnnd, now I've found out about Camping.  Better tutorialz plz.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 04:40:56 AM by Ironwood »

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: January 27, 2016, 01:53:19 PM

I will be starting to play this tonight on my Surface book. Hope it likes my fingers doing all the work (that's what she said).

Let me know how that goes ;  this was my plan for train journey to Aberdeen today, but God took a dump on my plans.  I'd be interested in how playable it is on the Surface.

Both Hex and Darkest Dungeon were amazing on the book @ 3000x2000.

It plays great on my ancient ass mac I think surface would run it fine as would just about anything  from the last decade.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: January 27, 2016, 01:55:05 PM

I've played about a bit with this game and I really like it so far.  It's a lot more complex than it first appears, eh ?  My party were gibbering wrecks that ended up being only a danger to themselves about five minutes in.

Awesome.  With all the depression and murder and psychosis it's like Glasgow Simulator 3000.

Annnnd, now I've found out about Camping.  Better tutorialz plz.

It is pretty grim that one of the best strategies early on is just don't bother trying to heal or maintain sanity of your party. Just work to improve your wagon to at least get four new hapless victims after each quest and just grind them to gibbering nothingness until you max out your wagon and other stuff and then have a lot of money stockpiled.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: January 31, 2016, 05:10:38 AM

Christ, two of my level 4 chaps ground into the dirt by a goddamn pig.

Can't stop playing this game.   Heart

Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: January 31, 2016, 05:26:08 AM

Cleared all bosses for lvl 1 & 3 without losing a character. Its definitely harder at level 5, stress becomes a bigger factor, part is that fights take longer due to higher health and more resistance, all those crits takes its toll. Did a stupid thing and entered the darkest dungeon when i had 4 characters at level 6 but without the top weapon and armor available and lost two characters because of it. Worst is losing some of that gear.

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
Arinon
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: January 31, 2016, 07:32:18 AM

This game is great.  Working my way through the second tier bosses now.  Lost one dude to an early Shambler fight and one to the Hags cookpot.  Glad to hear stress becomes an issue later because so far it's a non-factor.  I think I've used the stress reduce buildings about twice.

All the classes seem useful at various points except for the Man-at-Arms, who I can't find a use for.  I lean on Helions and Houndmasters the most.

The key so far seems to be in proper trinket stacking and knowing just how much you can stall trash fights while nudging your stress down and your health up.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #77 on: January 31, 2016, 09:36:20 AM

Christ, two of my level 4 chaps ground into the dirt by a goddamn pig.

Can't stop playing this game.   Heart
Avoid using the riposte attack that the Man At Arms has during that fight because Wilbur will almost assuredly kill himself constantly marking your Man At Arms, which in turn will cause the giant pig monster to flip out and annihilate your whole party.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: January 31, 2016, 12:36:38 PM

Oh, I got him. They just also died.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: January 31, 2016, 01:23:30 PM

I have about 6 level 3 dudes who are decent, but leveling up additional heroes to add some flexibility to my A and B teams seems to be a bit of a grind. Don't suppose there's a shortcut other than "run some lowbie dungeons, n00b"?

e: also I seem to be getting missions for lowbie bosses (new ones), but my level 3 adventurers are all "this is beneath me" and shit. Guess it's time to level up a C team as well...
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 01:40:44 PM by Zetor »

Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: January 31, 2016, 01:47:10 PM

I have about 6 level 3 dudes who are decent, but leveling up additional heroes to add some flexibility to my A and B teams seems to be a bit of a grind. Don't suppose there's a shortcut other than "run some lowbie dungeons, n00b"?

e: also I seem to be getting missions for lowbie bosses (new ones), but my level 3 adventurers are all "this is beneath me" and shit. Guess it's time to level up a C team as well...
I started to feel the grind around the time i had a few lvl 3 and 4 guys. My suggestion is to start focusing on killing bosses in the lvl 1 and lvl 3 areas. I would also suggest you try out all sorts of constellations, particularly against bosses since the dynamics of those fights are very different from the regular dungeon mobs.

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: January 31, 2016, 01:57:02 PM

So, one of the Steam achievements is to get Reynald and Dismas to the Darkest Dungeon. So I've still got both of them on my roster.

Today, I did a level 1 medium Weald crawl, and found a Secret Room. The chest yielded up two massively valuable gems (2500 each) and a rare trinket called Dismas' Head.
I found this particularly amusing because Dismas was in that party.  ACK!

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: February 01, 2016, 05:57:35 AM

I dunno. I killed the Necromancer and suddenly it became clear that I ned different parties for each area... and somehow that and the fact that I lost some of my best heros made me stop playing.

I don't know why, I was enjoying it bit the fact I had to specialize just killed it for me. I guess I liked the fact that I could pick from my roster of "ok who has the least stress"

Hrm...

Hic sunt dracones.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #83 on: February 01, 2016, 07:34:48 AM

You can generally complete an area with almost any team makeup; it's just that you'll need different skills unlocked and might have to shuffle them around to build an effective team.

Like everything in the warrens is resistant to blight but a Plague Doctor can still be useful in there if you just give them different skills and use them differently (i.e. buffing/healing/curing, using their bleed melee/shuffle/stuns instead of blight attacks).

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: February 01, 2016, 07:55:19 AM

Like most games of type ;  there are ways to have an 'optimum' party but I've found that almost all of them are fun.

It makes some sense to have different zone parties, if only because you get zone specific quirks.  But I still wouldn't.

This game is the most fun wee waste of time I've played in ages.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: February 01, 2016, 07:55:23 AM

You can generally complete an area with almost any team makeup; it's just that you'll need different skills unlocked and might have to shuffle them around to build an effective team.

Like everything in the warrens is resistant to blight but a Plague Doctor can still be useful in there if you just give them different skills and use them differently (i.e. buffing/healing/curing, using their bleed melee/shuffle/stuns instead of blight attacks).
I'd add that you want at least one party member who has a "nuke all corpses" ability in addition to the common sense stuff (have someone with spot healing, some people with stuns, etc). Not having one screwed me up really badly when

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #86 on: February 01, 2016, 07:59:11 AM

RE: Bosses
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 11:09:29 AM by Fabricated »

Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: February 01, 2016, 08:43:09 AM

Level 5 dungeons completely changed the dynamics of the game. Its harder to surprise them, you can't nuke them down at first round and many mobs will act first. Stress will build up, and some mobs had regular hits for 40 damage. I lost two more high level characters, due to a bloody stupid gamble, so down to 20 lvl 5+ characters now, worst is losing gear.

Problem is that all the grinding involved is getting to me, its hard to ignore how repetitive the game is and I really could use a totally different game now. I won't level up more characters that's for sure.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: February 01, 2016, 08:49:54 AM

One thing I dislike even in easier dungeons is that on a surprise (when my party surprises monsters) I feel sometimes as if surviving monsters get two rounds of responding attacks afterwards before I get to go again? Meaning a surprise becomes actually rather anxious if I don't manage to take down one or more of the mobs with focus fire.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: February 01, 2016, 08:57:20 AM

The Brigand Cannon is the lamest boss of the bunch. You either have the damage to down the matchstick guy or you don't and get blown up.

No biggie, but could we spoiler specific boss tactics? I'm actually trying to figure them out on my own this time (not that it's that hard at the lower levels, but you get my drift).

As for the "sudden loss of favorite party" syndrome, it's going to happen, but one way to mitigate it is to develop a sense of when to bail, and don't hesitate to do so. Sure, stress damage, but better than total wipe.

As for the grind thing, *shrug.* I guess we're back to the old "do you like the basic gameplay, or don't you" argument. I still enjoy running newbs through the lower dungeons, experimenting at low risk with different combos and strategies, so, no grind here for me yet.
Arinon
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: February 01, 2016, 10:56:14 AM

Level 5 dungeons completely changed the dynamics of the game.

Finding this to be very true.  Lost my two strongest heroes and their trinkets during my first medium length level 5 run.  I'm at the point where I have to risk fresh level 5 heroes, who don't have near enough upgrades, or dismiss people to make roster room in order to field a low-level grind team.  Not sure if I file this under my being dumb or just plain bullshit.  If I'd struggled more early on my town would have been more developed at this point.

What I want is a way to toggle hero exp off so I can spend more time in tier three.  Might break the game though.  Larger roster might help.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: February 01, 2016, 12:24:44 PM

That's about where I'm at. I'm pretty sure the most efficient way to make progress for me is to just start kicking people to the curb as soon as they hit level three, pillaging the shit out of the low level dungeons so that I can afford to pamper the one party I actually level. I don't think it would break anything to make promotion an active thing - lock a hero at 2 until you click "promote to veteran" so that it's your fault when they get cocky. As-is, you have perfectly competent adventurers who one day arbitrarily decide that any dungeon where they don't instantly get their teeth kicked in is too easy.

It's frustrating because the actual dungeon-delving part of the game is so goddamn fun, but I feel like most of my *effort* goes into metagaming the town stuff.
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: February 02, 2016, 01:39:41 PM

Part of the game is roster management, though.

For those of you who (like myself) haven't reached the Darkest Dungeon yet, you should be aware that each toon can only go in one time. After that they get a "Never again" debuff.
(I don't know if they have to finish a quest to get the debuff, or if merely setting foot inside will do it.)

What this means is that you're going to have to raise more than four heroes to max level, if it is your intent to "finish" the game. Because I'm pretty sure the Darkest Dungeon won't be solved by a single party.

Just FYI.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: February 02, 2016, 02:25:25 PM

Oh.  That's rather neat.

Arinon
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: February 02, 2016, 03:10:52 PM

Unless you are willing to routinely ditch or kill off low level heroes, I'd argue roster management is the most difficult and non-obvious part of the game.

The dungeon gating and number of tier two bosses pretty much force you into having a broad roster anyway.  You aren't going to beat them without decently upgraded and levelled heroes.  The XP you get for winning means, at most, a hero will see three boss kills before she's tier three which makes her dead-weight until you unlock the top tier blacksmith and/or guild upgrades.

Haven't killed any top level bosses yet but I think I'm at the point where I can grind red dungeons and kit my people out properly. (Selling trinkets to the rescue!)

In hindsight I think the best way to mitigate things is to maximize, deeds, gold, and crests when bringing stuff back from missions.  With such a wide roster you can basically ignore the stress buildings completely.

I hear there is a NG+.  Might try it out after X-Com 2 and the new Fire Emblem.  Man this is a great time for games like this.
Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: February 02, 2016, 03:12:17 PM

For those of you who (like myself) haven't reached the Darkest Dungeon yet, you should be aware that each toon can only go in one time. After that they get a "Never again" debuff.
(I don't know if they have to finish a quest to get the debuff, or if merely setting foot inside will do it.)

What this means is that you're going to have to raise more than four heroes to max level, if it is your intent to "finish" the game. Because I'm pretty sure the Darkest Dungeon won't be solved by a single party.

Just FYI.

You have to finish the quest to get the debuff. Every character that gets the debuff no longer counts against your max roster size.

Right now I got 18 resolve 6 characters but pretty much all of them lack max upgraded weapon armor and skills. Can beat small dungeons fairly easily, will head to medium length dungeons now. A problem is that so many of my heroes have +stress disabilities and so much great gear has +stress on them, its definitely biting me in the arse now.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 03:20:54 PM by Gimfain »

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #96 on: February 02, 2016, 08:45:42 PM

So what classes are you all finding to be useless? I'm not big on the Jester or Man-at-Arms, and find the Hound Master a bit superfluous. I'm also not big on the Plague Doctor or Bounty Hunter.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: February 02, 2016, 11:29:02 PM

Plague Doctor is amazing, especially with +blight items. I have a comp that runs two of them along with a Bounty Hunter (for stunning and punting people into Plague Bomb range) and a Crusader (for stuns and heals). It's probably not as effective as something with a real healer but it sure is satisfying melting the shit out of all those annoying high-stress back row enemies.

Hound Master and Abomination top my "I have no idea what this is supposed to be good for" list, with Arbalest and Jester right behind. I'm also pretty meh about most frontline classes - Hellion outclasses them all in terms of versatility and has a fantastic stun to boot.
Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: February 03, 2016, 01:27:31 AM

Abomination, jester, occultist and grave digger are the characters I haven't explored enough, my first experience of abomination was a disaster and the others I overlooked because I went for a heavy stun approach.

I loved hellion at start, then stopped loving him and now I like him again. Plague doctor went from favorite character to somewhat annoying to use at lvl 5 due to resistances, no more ez-mode stunlocking of enemy party and lacking the burst. I like leper a lot more than I did before because of that raw damage. Man-at-arms is handy, but lacks that real oomph. Hound master depends a bit too much on bleed instead of raw damage, what I originally liked about him was the stun but bounty hunter has a better stun. Vestal always been one of my favorites, the heals, stun and +torch attack.

If you aren't fond of man-at-arms I will assume you never used his camp skills of +10% damage, +10% dodge and 3-8% crit, highwaymen and hound masters 20% surprise chance improvement, it changes some boss fights completely. Leper's and hound masters self-heal can be handy. Gear also changes some characters. Then there is the marking party which is circumstantial.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 01:37:37 AM by Gimfain »

Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: February 03, 2016, 01:39:42 AM

I always tried to keep all classes in rotation, one healer (Vestral, Occultist), and three of whoever else is available depending the dungeon. I just can't get warm with the Abomination, but the Hound Master and especially Jester are a godsend in dungeons where bleed works (different bleeds stack and refresh each others running times). The Arlabest is a serious damage dealer for enemies that hide in the back.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: February 03, 2016, 01:42:39 AM

I have an abom in my B team, and he's pretty amazing. I keep him in position 2 and human form for most fights, and either use the single target stun attack, or the double blight barf attack (it's just like the PD's grenade, but hits 2-3 instead of 3-4, and seems to be a bit weaker overall). The self heal is really good and also keeps his stress close to 0 for most of the fight. Then, in tough boss battles, I have him hulk out and spam the crap out of Rake for crazy damage against positions 1-2, shifting back to human form if I need a stun.

Houndmasters are a bit of a wildcard. Guard dog (protect on someone, +15% dodge on houndmaster) is pretty good against enemies that attack mainly one rank, and the self heal / group stress heal are cool. I also use my houndmaster to mark targets for my arbalest and bounty hunter so they can use their turns for attacking. The basic hound attack is also fairly decent against beasts.

fwiw, one of the top compositions at high levels seems to be houndmaster-houndmaster-abom-abom. Two aboms just wreck face up front, houndmasters keep stress low, and everyone can heal themselves when needed. This strat probably needs some +tohit trinkets (and maybe the -25% stress abom-specific trinket), though.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: February 03, 2016, 03:13:40 AM

Interesting Fight with the Pirate Boss Last night :

Also had a bit of fun with the Necromancer, but just because he was actually quite easy and my Bounty Hunter just kept hooking him around the dance floor.  It's starting to get to the 'All of your 25 guys are smashing, so you don't want to lose any' stage of the game, which I must resist.  The thought of locking in some good buffs and then losing chaps makes me wince.

(Also, Corals removing your debuffs is utterly broken.  Take enough medicine in there and you can have heroes with 5 positives and no negatives.  Wow.)

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: February 03, 2016, 03:19:44 AM

Also, I like all the classes, but I'd probably put Jester and Arbalest in my 'Nah' camp.  They're too meh for me.  I also like the Abomination, but tend not to use him because why not just take a Crusader, Leper or MAA ?

The Leper in particular I really quite like.  Two smashy skills and a normal heal and a stress heal.  What can go wrong ?  (Oh yeah, he could get pushed to the back and then you're FUCKED).

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: February 03, 2016, 06:10:17 AM

Every character that gets the debuff no longer counts against your max roster size.
That is fantastic.

According to today's patch notes, they are nerfing the xp requirements for levels 4-6, among other things.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: February 03, 2016, 08:27:20 AM

Arbalest seems awfully useful for back end enemies, yeah. Sort of the leper of the back row.

Abomination seems very hard to use.

I find Jesters hard to work into many party makeups.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Darkest Dungeon  
Jump to: