Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:24:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Darkest Dungeon 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Darkest Dungeon  (Read 53632 times)
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: February 03, 2016, 09:23:53 AM

Arbalest has a single-target heal, so once she's out of snipe targets she's still helpful.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: February 03, 2016, 11:09:59 AM

I found the bolster ability of the Man at Arms to be pretty fantastic.

I think I am going to have to spend gold on my low level guys to upgrade their weapons and armour before they head into their first quest.. Either they come back from a quest gibbering insane (which means they are out for a while) or with big negatives from almost dying. Hrm...

Hic sunt dracones.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: February 03, 2016, 12:24:29 PM

Level 0 fresh-off-the-stagecoach dudes sent on no-torch grind runs don't get upgrades. If they survive a few runs and get to level 2 without maxing out stress or getting any bad quirks... they may be worthy of joining the C Team and thus eligible for upgrades. If they don't, well... hey look at that, another set of 4 bright-eyed newbies just arrived!

As you can see, I'm a very benevolent taskmaster. why so serious?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 12:27:57 PM by Zetor »

Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: February 03, 2016, 02:30:22 PM

I always found it quite funny that the behaviour of the player starts to mirror the callousness of the Ancestor in that regard. The apple does indeed not fall far from the tree.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: February 03, 2016, 03:32:46 PM

"Battered. Broken. Cast aside like a spent torch."

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: February 03, 2016, 03:34:01 PM

12 Levels of hero chopped into hamburger.  Fuck that Prophet.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: February 03, 2016, 03:54:34 PM

Level 0 fresh-off-the-stagecoach dudes sent on no-torch grind runs don't get upgrades. If they survive a few runs and get to level 2 without maxing out stress or getting any bad quirks... they may be worthy of joining the C Team and thus eligible for upgrades. If they don't, well... hey look at that, another set of 4 bright-eyed newbies just arrived!

I feel like the amount of time added to the run from watching everyone go insane and die, plus the inefficiency of having to work with whatever comes off the stagecoach rather than putting a real comp together, isn't worth saving 600-1000 gold on torches. Especially if you're going to spend that amount de-stressing whomever you do end up promoting.

I waste a ton of gold overprovisioning every embarcation with food and torches from level 0 onwards, but my tavern and abbey costs are near-zero and my low-level runs are quick and easy, so I figure it's a wash.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: February 03, 2016, 09:23:48 PM

I feel like the amount of time added to the run from watching everyone go insane and die, plus the inefficiency of having to work with whatever comes off the stagecoach rather than putting a real comp together, isn't worth saving 600-1000 gold on torches. Especially if you're going to spend that amount de-stressing whomever you do end up promoting.

I waste a ton of gold overprovisioning every embarcation with food and torches from level 0 onwards, but my tavern and abbey costs are near-zero and my low-level runs are quick and easy, so I figure it's a wash.
Well, it's not just saving money on the torches themselves, it's getting 6-9k gold + quite a few heirlooms in a short dungeon run due to increased loot at 0 light. Interestingly, the noob groups almost always make it to the end... heck, most of the time nobody dies or even gets massively stressed. I think I had one instance where I had to make the judgment call to retreat before exploring the necessary # of rooms. I even have a level 2 abomination+houndmaster combo that made it through several such runs and are still at like 10 stress, plus they haven't accrued any significant negative quirks... they have ascended to the C Team aka. "the level 2 dudes that kill all these leftover lowbie bosses". Abomination stress heal too stronk!

Note that no-torch 0 light runs are only for those heroes that come with terrible quirks right off the stagecoach. If I get something like Eldritch Hater + Warrior of Light on a noob with an inconsequential negative quirk (like "can't use the gambling house" or "crap performance in the dark"), they may get preferred treatment and go together with other non-terrible heroes on high-light short/medium runs for xp and loot farming. But there's no way I'm blowing like 4k gold on some random level 0 to drop Kleptomania and Curiosity (yes, it does kill the cat... often).

e: btw, I agree that gameplay in general can feel a bit... ponderous. I've seen some dudes use a speedhack to run the game at 3x-5x speed, which may help especially if you're doing grind runs like this.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 09:38:36 PM by Zetor »

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: February 04, 2016, 12:22:10 AM

Ooh you get increased loot at 0 light. Mucho interesting...

One thing I dod notice about the AboMination is that it gets all its skills at the start so you don't have to train it at the guild hall. Noice.

Hic sunt dracones.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: February 04, 2016, 01:20:58 AM

Except that's offset by him driving his teammates up the fucking wall and simply not grouping with others.

Also, I didn't know about the loot thing dark thing till 2 days ago and now I can't break my habit of lighting torches.

It explains why I'm flat broke tho.

Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: February 04, 2016, 01:26:41 AM

Two level 5 bosses down, necromancer lord was a pushover like usual, swine god got tight because I screwed up my preparations and setup, my crusader ended up dead with an achievement.....damn you wilbur
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 04:00:24 AM by Gimfain »

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: February 04, 2016, 05:23:17 AM

Meh, just took on my second boss, the Sonorous prophet, and it was a total wipe. I hate/love this game :S

Hic sunt dracones.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: February 04, 2016, 12:04:10 PM

Arbalest has a single-target heal, so once she's out of snipe targets she's still helpful.

And its a nice boost to healing as a buff for her target so if somebody is in emergancy need of a lot of health recovery she is good to keep them alive for a round until the healer can drop a big healing bomb on them.
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: February 07, 2016, 01:51:49 PM

I had my first Collector fight today. I've never seen this critter before, nor have I seen any videos or descriptions, so this is the first boss or mini-boss I've fought without spoilers.

As it happened, he turned up in the Weald, as I was on my way to take out the Hag (level 1).

It's week 17 of my current playthrough. My party consisted of Reynald (crusader), a Hellion, a Bounty Hunter, and a Vestal.
Not to spoil the Collector for anyone else, but it turns out that a party that's geared and equipped for the Hag can deal with this guy well enough.

Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: February 08, 2016, 02:28:47 PM

All regular bosses at level 5 down. For the bosses at level 1 and 3 I played them blind, and it still worked, probably because I had such a good setup and were maxed for that level. I fought some of the level 5 bosses without maxing skills although the late ones I went with specialized setups. I only lost one hero in 24 boss fights,well 25 because I fled once, although I gambled like crazy on hag.

In most cases I bring a vestal with +heal trinkets, with a plague doctor on the side. In some cases arbalest and occultist works too, jester will be invaluable when stress damage gets crazy. Front row depends on where I go, I really like going with a leper though, hits hard and great self-heal.

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: February 12, 2016, 11:21:19 AM

My madness has finally come to an end. I really liked the boss fights and the long dungeons at max resolve, wasn't as happy about the darkest dungeon itself. The whole design with losing a hero if you abandon the quest stops people from experimenting their way forward. It also felt like there were bit too much grinding money to fully upgrade your hero.

Worst thing that happened was when I had worked on leveling up a jester, was done with the area at level 4, went up against the shambler and I had completely wrong characters to do the fight, everyone got stressed out, the spawn got really powerful and managed to kill my jester before the fight was over. Getting an ancestor's trinket for the effort was totally not worth it.

Loved the game though.

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: February 12, 2016, 12:25:22 PM

Wait, you lose a hero if you abandon a quest? Since when? Or is that only in the Darkest Dungeon?

Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: February 12, 2016, 01:23:43 PM

Wait, you lose a hero if you abandon a quest? Since when? Or is that only in the Darkest Dungeon?

Only in the darkest dungeon.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: February 15, 2016, 06:08:19 AM

Thats a bit extreme  swamp poop

Hic sunt dracones.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: February 15, 2016, 07:33:30 AM

It's the Darkest Dungeon dude.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: February 15, 2016, 08:23:57 AM

In the Darkest Dungeon, nobody can hear you grind up yet another character from level 0 to level 6?  why so serious?

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: February 18, 2016, 06:21:35 PM

I ran a level 0 group into the darkest dungeun last night for the giggles. I is cruel...

Hic sunt dracones.
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: February 19, 2016, 06:49:53 AM

There's an achievement for that  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: February 19, 2016, 06:59:41 AM

I had three characters in a row get the stress test and come out with Virtues.

It was awesome.

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: February 19, 2016, 07:05:38 AM

Do you have the lottery in Scotland?

kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: February 19, 2016, 07:09:10 AM

"Battered. Broken. Cast aside like a spent torch."

This one is vestigal and useless cut him out.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: February 19, 2016, 07:09:27 AM

I know.  I didn't get a chance to test it with the leper because one of the chaps got that cool virtue that removes stress on the others, so he didn't get stressed.

Oddest dungeon I'd been in yet, but really cool.

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: February 19, 2016, 07:19:17 AM

Pro Tip: In the Warrens (the Pig dungeon), if you find a pile of scrolls in the hallway, you can use it to remove a negative quirk.

Pick a toon that's got a quirk you want removed, and have them use a torch on the scrolls.
The quirk will be chosen at random, so if your toon has multiple negatives, you might not get rid of the worst one.
But it's still removed, and at the cost of a torch.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: February 19, 2016, 07:30:15 AM

No, the protip is to take lots of ant-disease goo into The Cove and apply it to all the Coral.  It does the same thing and there's more of it.

Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: February 19, 2016, 09:42:56 AM

A pro-tip would be to remove certain negative quirks before they get locked while keeping others. Remove anything that increases stress taken like zoophobia, reduces resistance, or the most annoying forced interactions like curious, kleptomania, compulsive and hylomania. Keep stuff that have little impact on your adventuring, the less annoying forced interactions, camp healing or the sort. My favorite is the bad gambler that isn't allow to gamble.

I personally hated warrens because of swine wretch that acts before you and have a chance to apply diseases. Every trip to warrens resulted in 2-3 characters suffering from diseases.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 09:45:09 AM by Gimfain »

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: February 19, 2016, 10:25:24 AM

Coral gets rid of the 'locked in' ones though.

Then he gets shot in the eye.

hal1
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: February 27, 2016, 09:08:38 PM

Ok I don't play a lot of single player games but this on has me buy the nut sack. I just ran a suicide no torch no food and got quest complete with no deaths. Lotta stress but lotta loot for the town. Gold I'm a bit abut not a lot. I'm just amassed I could pull this off. But I know the rng will make sure I can't do it repeatably.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: March 09, 2016, 06:03:21 AM

Oddly the RNG does not bother me as much in this game, not like it did in say Bloodbowl. Probably becasue while it can fuck you over it does actually use a bit of lube and buys you dinner first.

Hic sunt dracones.
hal1
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: March 11, 2016, 06:18:59 PM

Ok this new class ( i,m not even gonna try to spell it) gives a lot more gold per run. So I restarted and of course I don't have one yet. But but if I expand the stage coach I'll get one in time. I donno i'ts a tough game, and thats kinda of the draw. I'ts a really tough game.
hal1
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: March 12, 2016, 05:38:00 PM

Having to do a healer lees run, or having 2 healers and losing a toon. Do you deal with there stress? Or put them on the road? It's such a simple game but there isn't a right way to play it. It is really fun and the more you try the more fun it gets.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Darkest Dungeon  
Jump to: