Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:40:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Darkest Dungeon 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Darkest Dungeon  (Read 53630 times)
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: April 15, 2015, 09:50:30 AM

This is still in Early Access, but just got a QOL update yesterday.
- Color variations. Purely cosmetic. Each hero gets four color palettes; you can change them at will.
- Roster sorting. Sort by stress, resolve level, class, or activity.
(they need to add something like this, or some kind of tabbing UI, for trinkets)
- Speaking of trinkets, they did a balancing pass at the trinkets. The idea is to make more of them seem worthwhile.
- Party combo names. If you put the right combination of characters together, you will reveal the combo name. (I didn't discover any while I was playing last night.)

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #36 on: April 15, 2015, 10:50:01 AM

I loved party combos in Marvel Ultimate Alliance.

We need another one in that series (gamepad arcadey vs the Diablo-y kb/m of Heroes).
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #37 on: April 26, 2015, 07:09:11 PM

Just picked it up - it's actually good fun, frustrating at times without being obnoxiously punishing...

Well, except for that first boss I came across who wiped my party - that pretty much makes me have to restart I think.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: May 29, 2015, 08:07:23 AM

A new (Early Access) content patch (and a handful of hotfixes) went live yesterday.
Patch notes here.
Two new character classes.
Three new dungeon bosses.
QOL improvements in the UI.
Various balancing changes.

I started up a new campaign last night, and played a few missions. It seemed as if the early game has gotten tougher, in terms of how many of my toons ended up highly stressed, dead, and/or afflicted. That might be just the RNG talking though  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

March
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: June 02, 2015, 12:40:17 PM

I will not get attached, I will not get attached, I will not ge........ Nooooooooooooo not Faceby.   cry
schild
Administrator

Reply #40 on: June 02, 2015, 12:43:41 PM

I'm going to buy this during the summer sale.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #41 on: June 02, 2015, 08:28:39 PM

Yeah I can't wait to get it on sale right around when they finally finish releasing the game, if that is what early access gets us from here on out I'm thrilled with it. They are still missing 3 character classes, which is kind of a big deal.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #42 on: June 15, 2015, 01:32:53 PM

Got this on steam sale, the brutal RNG is not bothering me as much as I thought it would. Last night, I had a dude go nuts, go to 0 hp and become an stoppable killing machine who refused to die. Very memorable moment.

"Me am play gods"
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #43 on: June 15, 2015, 02:26:45 PM

This is a good and fun game. The two new classes are ridiculously good. The Man At Arms is particularly amazing.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: July 15, 2015, 11:25:32 PM

Wow, I backed this via Kickstarter but wanted to wait for it to be ready before I play. Then after some particularily bad Xcom Ironman mission I caved yesterday. And man does it scratch the same itch.

This game is so much fun, but the RNG is really relentless.

Wiped the floor with the Necromancer with a Leper, Crusader, Grave Robber and Vestal.

A few runs later I try to tackle the prophet with a replacement Helion instead of the Crusader (who was in the insane asylum at the moment) and arrived at the Prophet with full health and minimal stress and get a total party kill. At least the Leper held out for 15 rounds before he went down as well.  awesome, for real

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: September 30, 2015, 12:36:08 PM

A new update came out yesterday. The game is still in Early Access.

The Cove dungeon was added.
A number of other changes have also been made.

I didn't get much time last night, but I do plan on playing this quite a bit.

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #46 on: September 30, 2015, 12:41:10 PM

I like this game, but having to continually relevel after the inevitable party wipes is grinding.

"Me am play gods"
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: October 01, 2015, 12:13:39 AM

Without that mechanic the game would be done in a few hours, though.

At least if you have a total party wipe yon can grind them together up to the top. One person dying is worse. If all but one slot is filled with high level characters you have to kill some of them off to make place...
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: October 01, 2015, 01:53:17 AM

Sadly, that's how I got really bored with this game :( Love the artwork and atmosphere but the grindy feeling can't be shaken.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: October 01, 2015, 07:00:31 AM

One of the changes they made was to reduce the xp required to level up, once you're level 3 or above.

I got to a Cove mission last night. It's fishmen and bloated corpses and flying jellyfish. And brigand packs, and cultists.

After a room battle, I found a "chest" that was a giant clam. Fearfully, I tried a blight potion on it, but it had no effect.
Then I tried a shovel, and it "kept the shell from snapping shut." So I have a feeling this thing will injure your toon if you just bare-hand it.

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: October 14, 2015, 01:19:56 PM

90Proof
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: November 02, 2015, 09:43:42 AM

I'm wildly addicted to this right now.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #52 on: November 02, 2015, 12:21:16 PM

The Cove seems ridiculously nasty for some reason. Like on level 5 runs with my shitkicker A-team who are maxxed out and have great accessories  the regular fishfolk guys just do obscene amounts of damage and seem to literally never miss.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: December 16, 2015, 05:14:47 PM

A friend gave me this as an early Xmas present, so I guess I'm going to start playing it soonish. Any tips for a noob? He also insisted I use the Community Remix mod, whatever that's all about.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: December 16, 2015, 07:58:38 PM

Early on, you're going to be tempted to spend a lot of money de-stressing and curing your wee heroes.
This is one of the ways that the game stresses out you (the player). Before you know it, you're too broke to buy provisions for your next excursion.

Don't get attached to your lowbies. They are replaceable. They are especially replaceable if you haven't spent any money on them yet.

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: December 16, 2015, 08:42:22 PM

You may also want to wait until sometime in January when the game actually comes out of early access and is released.

Not that the game is not fun in the state it's in, but I had to make myself quit months ago when I realized I'd be totally burned out by release...
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: January 19, 2016, 10:40:54 AM

Today is the day! Darkest Dungeon leaves Early Access.

Patch notes.

"Like me, you are now a part of this place."

jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: January 19, 2016, 10:53:27 AM

How's the balancing, I've heard rumors they fucked it up trying to please veteran players.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: January 19, 2016, 11:03:27 AM

Ahh, vetern players. The constituency no-one should listen to ever.

Anyway off to buy!!!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Hic sunt dracones.
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: January 19, 2016, 11:30:02 AM

How's the balancing, I've heard rumors they fucked it up trying to please veteran players.

It is certainly a different game now than back in April or May when I first picked it up.
But to be honest I haven't played it much at all lately; I've been putting it off until now.
Or more precisely, tonight after work.

It's Darkest Dungeon, so I expect that today's update will be followed up by a flurry of hot fixes.
And then probably more content and other tweaks down the road.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: January 19, 2016, 12:33:47 PM

I have found in playing in the last month that it's gotten a bit easier? Or so it seems? In a welcome way--I have felt less fucked by the RNG without losing the sense that the expedition is always one encounter away from unexpected disaster.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: January 19, 2016, 12:39:06 PM

Very nice note from the devs on the Steam Store page concerning the road to release. I was amused by the fact that they likened the dev process to the process of playing the game. RNG can be brutal in real life too.
Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: January 25, 2016, 03:11:16 PM

I hope they change it so you don't have darkest dungeon as default. When I first started the game I ended up going to the darkest dungeon week 2 and 3, which resulted in 7 dead adventurers.

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: January 25, 2016, 04:48:54 PM

I'm something like 12 game-weeks in, having never played prior to official release, and it's certainly not a game I would describe as "brutal" so far. Granted, I'm still grinding apprentice-level missions because I can tell the ass-kicking is going to ramp up, but to date I've only lost three party members, and each of those was while I was doing something that could reasonably be described as "pretty stupid". Not quite the merciless death spiral I was led to expect.
schild
Administrator

Reply #64 on: January 25, 2016, 06:01:47 PM

I will be starting to play this tonight on my Surface book. Hope it likes my fingers doing all the work (that's what she said).
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #65 on: January 25, 2016, 07:34:37 PM

I'm something like 12 game-weeks in, having never played prior to official release, and it's certainly not a game I would describe as "brutal" so far. Granted, I'm still grinding apprentice-level missions because I can tell the ass-kicking is going to ramp up, but to date I've only lost three party members, and each of those was while I was doing something that could reasonably be described as "pretty stupid". Not quite the merciless death spiral I was led to expect.

You get the first set of bosses basically for free. But once you get to L3 missions things stop fucking around.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: January 26, 2016, 10:00:05 AM

Yeah I agree it can be rough, especially the RNG with crits and misses.  I've been doing the intermediate level stuff and I had a giant looking guy with a tree branch club crit my tankiest guy from full to zero in 1 hit.  Then he died the very next turn before I even got a move in.  It was pretty brutal.   

I'm killing bosses and making progress but it's slow.  I'm starting to put more effort into looking at people quirks as I get further.  In the beginning I just kind of ignored that stuff.  If you do that and for example a guy starts stacking -ACC quirks, things can get really bad.

Same with trinkets, in the beginning I thought most of them were trash (and I still think there are some real bad ones) but now I've found using some like +ACC and receives +% healing really help.

I still haven't totally figured out how to manage stress on long runs.  I try to put a priority on killing enemies that do AOE stress damage.  Also I've found that camping right before the bar fills the first time seems to work out better than if I wait until a couple guys are already into the second fill stage.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #67 on: January 26, 2016, 10:32:26 AM

Basically the following things will totally take a shit on your runs:

1. Running into a Collector without a good group makeup for it.
2. Running into a shambler without a good group makeup for it (or being a retard and using a torch on a shambler altar without being prepared).
3. Specific enemies scoring a solid critical on any character (treetrunk guy, swine lancer, etc)
4. Several consecutive runins with the obnoxious +stress enemies (swamp hags, cultist witches, vomit pig things, those goddamn goblet skeletons).

Generally everything else is because you didn't pick a good group/skill makeup. With a group optimized for the area you should usually mop up most encounters without too much trouble.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: January 26, 2016, 11:54:01 AM

I will be starting to play this tonight on my Surface book. Hope it likes my fingers doing all the work (that's what she said).

Let me know how that goes ;  this was my plan for train journey to Aberdeen today, but God took a dump on my plans.  I'd be interested in how playable it is on the Surface.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
schild
Administrator

Reply #69 on: January 26, 2016, 03:19:55 PM

Let me know how that goes ;  this was my plan for train journey to Aberdeen today, but God took a dump on my plans.  I'd be interested in how playable it is on the Surface.
In the doc it should be fine. Crashlands and Hex are perfect, I just keep forgetting to take the laptop upstairs and the hell if I'm coming back down after I'm in bed.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Darkest Dungeon  
Jump to: